Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jaguars are now on the clock!

(12-28-2020, 02:50 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 01:57 PM)Kane Wrote: In theory wouldn't most QBs just be removed from your board once you take one #1 overall?

I mean... maybe you keep some late round prospects as backup projects.... but if you have Trask rated highly, you no longer keep him on the board after taking Lawrence?

That's just my thought.

Absolutely not!

You still need to consider whether the value of moving away from the pick (if the QB is at the top of your and other team's boards) vs. staying put and picking the next highest player on your board/next highest player at position of need.

If you just cross them all off the list, you could be taking a punter instead of a much higher rated QB. Top of your board, though, right?

Well yeah... but I mean... remove them from the possibility of drafting them. No team is gonna take Lawrence and then go OH I have Trask at 30 overall and he's available at 33, Gotta take him.
Maybe remove from the board was the wrong wording... but remove the legit possibility of using more picks on the same position that was drafted so highly.

And I personally would never Gene Smith or Al Davis and pick a P or K higher than round.... 6?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-28-2020, 02:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/5-ob...-nfl-draft

Great read from Shipley.

Some of those facts are shocking.  I just didn't realize it's been nearly a decade since we played on Monday night football and well over a decade since we played on Sunday night.  Time flies when we suck lol!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Some primetime games would be a nice treat. But Ill be happy if we can return to winning football and play whenever.

I used to think prime time games were awesome. But as I grow up, I don’t really care as long as we win. Sure, the national spotlight is nice, but you’ve got to earn it. I’m getting (feeling) old so a nice 1:00pm game on Sunday works well for me, lol. I don’t look to get respect from others, but if they end up giving some prime time games after a few good seasons, then I am down for that. It is nice to not be the bottom of the barrel team of the league. Let’s just get there first.

(12-28-2020, 10:36 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 05:21 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Future prediction. ESPN Draft Day crew: "So we are going to go commercial before the No 1 pick though because there appears to be a trade in the works. We will let you know the details after this..."

More realistic predicition:
The broadcast team spends more time discussing the Jets' options at 2 than anything the Jags are doing at 1 for the entire clock.

That's not a prediction, that is a fact. If Lawrence declares and doesn't hold the Jags hostage, that will be the case all off-season and draft day. 

There is no intrigue or story to Jags picking Lawrence so they will talk more about the 2nd and 3rd pick and "all the ways" that can play out.

(12-28-2020, 10:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: It’s cute you think I’m upset and that I care about it the Rams.

It’s also not like the Rams lost because of Ramsey hahaha didn’t he shut down Metcalf again?

Metcalf was the Hawks leading WR even with Ramsey getting help

come again??

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1343633334203723777

(12-28-2020, 06:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Metcalf was the Hawks leading WR even with Ramsey getting help

come again??

LOL

(12-28-2020, 06:42 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 10:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Metcalf was the Hawks leading WR even with Ramsey getting help

come again??

Where was he when Metcalf led his team in receiving?  As good as a few think he is you would think he would be able to make a game changing play to help his team win like all the great corners do while Donald is wrecking havoc up fromt every game

(12-27-2020, 05:20 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: The Jags have secured the #1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft. Lawrence maybe the Qb to return this team to greatness!

Greatness is going to take awhile.  The Jags have had moments of greatness (DEN game, going 14-2, not many).   I have never considered anyh Jaguars team great; 1999 came close ([BLEEP] TEN and Frank Wychek, who was eternally open in the back of the endzone).

1. Build a solid OL/DL and win the line of scrimmage.
2. Develop offensive weapons for TL
3. Solidify D
4. 2022 draft BAPs

The 2023 season the Jags should go deep in the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 09:12 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

I'll go on record with a big fat no on Darrisaw. I think he is extremely overrated. I wouldn't entertain him until about the first pick of the third round. Sewell is the only LT in this draft worth a first, the rest are pedestrian.

(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: For offense, I would upgrade quarterback (obviously), left tackle and tight end.  For defense, I would definitely upgrade defensive line and safety with cornerback also a possibility.  I just think we have higher priorities than wide receiver.  We have two rookies who I expect to take a step up next season and I'm interested in how all of our receivers perform with a better quarterback.  I would re-sign Cole (assuming his price is reasonable) and would look for depth with one of our fourth round picks.  I let Conley and Westbrook go.

And this^ is a really good post. We have a strong core of WRs already with Chark, Cole and Shenault. I wouldn't consider WR before the fourth round.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-28-2020, 09:09 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I'll go on record with a big fat no on Darrisaw.  I think he is extremely overrated.  I wouldn't entertain him until about the first pick of the third round. Sewell is the only LT in this draft worth a first, the rest are pedestrian.

(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: For offense, I would upgrade quarterback (obviously), left tackle and tight end.  For defense, I would definitely upgrade defensive line and safety with cornerback also a possibility.  I just think we have higher priorities than wide receiver.  We have two rookies who I expect to take a step up next season and I'm interested in how all of our receivers perform with a better quarterback.  I would re-sign Cole (assuming his price is reasonable) and would look for depth with one of our fourth round picks.  I let Conley and Westbrook go.

And this^ is a really good post. We have a strong core of WRs already with Chark, Cole and Shenault. I wouldn't consider WR before the fourth round.

I agree on receivers. And don’t forget Johnson.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Johnson has shown me enough that he is apart of the WR group. Chark, Johnson, Shenault is a serviceable core. I would keep Conley and let Cole and Westbrook walk.

(12-29-2020, 12:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Johnson has shown me enough that he is apart of the WR group. Chark, Johnson, Shenault is a serviceable core. I would keep Conley and let Cole and Westbrook walk.

Cole is younger and more productive than Conley is. If they re-sign Conley over Cole, that's a problem imo because Cole is a much better WR.

I completely forgot about Westbrook though. Would still take him over Conley. He could be good with an actual QB throwing him the ball.

(12-29-2020, 12:17 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:02 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Johnson has shown me enough that he is apart of the WR group. Chark, Johnson, Shenault is a serviceable core. I would keep Conley and let Cole and Westbrook walk.

Cole is younger and more productive than Conley is. If they re-sign Conley over Cole, that's a problem imo because Cole is a much better WR.

I completely forgot about Westbrook though. Would still take him over Conley. He could be good with an actual QB throwing him the ball.
We need to go 5 wide receiver and 4 TEs next year. That 5th WR spot can be occupied by a sixth rounder/UFA

(12-29-2020, 12:20 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:17 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Cole is younger and more productive than Conley is. If they re-sign Conley over Cole, that's a problem imo because Cole is a much better WR.

We need to go 5 wide receiver and 4 TEs next year. That 5th WR spot can be occupied by a sixth rounder/UFA

I'd like to pay Allen Robinson and bring him back, but that's just wishing.

My more realistic thought is go into the season with Chark, Shenault, Cole (re-signed on a friendly deal, hopefully shouldn't command much on the open market), Collin Johnson and a 3rd/4th round rookie WR.

Cole, Conley and Westbrook are all FAs this off season. I like Westbrook and wouldn't be against bringing him back. All depends on the market price, but maybe bring him back instead of spending that 3rd/4th on a WR.

TE is a completely different story. I'd like to give Josh Oliver a chance. Do you pay Eifert $6.1m next season? Bring back O'Shaughnessy? Throw money at Hunter Henry, or Jonnu Smith in FA (if they hit FA)? Use one of our top 4 picks in the draft on a TE? The TE position continues to be a huge ??? going forward.

I'd keep Cole and definitely let Conley walk. He has butterfingers. I let Westbrook go too. I think we have a good, young receiving core.

(12-29-2020, 12:43 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:20 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: We need to go 5 wide receiver and 4 TEs next year. That 5th WR spot can be occupied by a sixth rounder/UFA

My more realistic thought is go into the season with Chark, Shenault, Cole (re-signed on a friendly deal, hopefully shouldn't command much on the open market), Collin Johnson and a 3rd/4th round rookie WR.

Cole, Conley and Westbrook are all FAs this off season. I like Westbrook and wouldn't be against bringing him back. All depends on the market price, but maybe bring him back instead of spending that 3rd/4th on a WR.

TE is a completely different story. I'd like to give Josh Oliver a chance. Do you pay Eifert $6.1m next season? Bring back O'Shaughnessy? Throw money at Hunter Henry, or Jonnu Smith in FA (if they hit FA)? Use one of our top 4 picks in the draft on a TE? The TE position continues to be a huge ??? going forward.

Totally agree about WR. 

I would love to land Jonnu Smith in free agency and then add a project TE in the mid rounds. Three guys I like a lot are Charlie Kolar of Iowa State and Nick Muse of South Carolina. I also like Simi Fehoko of Stanford. He is a 6'4" 230 lb. WR who averaged 15.5 YPC. I think we could turn him into a Darren Waller type.

(12-29-2020, 12:43 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:20 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: We need to go 5 wide receiver and 4 TEs next year. That 5th WR spot can be occupied by a sixth rounder/UFA

I'm all in with trading up for Pitts. Oliver can have a spot but I'm not counting on him considering his injury history. Eifert gets the axe, and I'd bring back O'shaughnessy. We need to find a blocking TE for that fourth spot.

(12-29-2020, 12:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:43 AM)Eric1 Wrote: I'd like to pay Allen Robinson and bring him back, but that's just wishing.

Totally agree about WR. 

I would love to land Jonnu Smith in free agency and then add a project TE in the mid rounds. Three guys I like a lot are Charlie Kolar of Iowa State and Nick Muse of South Carolina. I also like Simi Fehoko of Stanford. He is a 6'4" 230 lb. WR who averaged 15.5 YPC. I think we could turn him into a Darren Waller type.

The problem is that it takes time for a TE to turn into something like that. It took Waller 5 years to become what he currently is. Granted he missed a season, but he needed that and it doesn't change much. It's typically going to take at least 2-4 years to develop a guy like that. The 2 years being if you're extremely lucky.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020, 01:18 AM by Eric1.)

(12-29-2020, 12:59 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:43 AM)Eric1 Wrote: I'd like to pay Allen Robinson and bring him back, but that's just wishing.

I'm all in with trading up for Pitts. Oliver can have a spot but I'm not counting on him considering his injury history. Eifert gets the axe, and I'd bring back O'shaughnessy. We need to find a blocking TE for that fourth spot.

So how high do you trade up for Pitts? Doesn't he have a history of being banged up/injured in college already? 

Waller is the projection for what you hope Pitts turns into. Can definitely see the comparison, but how long does it take for him to hit that level? 

If you're trading up for him, you need an all but immediate impact. Which is rarely the case for TEs. Now if you have a good and creative Offensive coaching staff, that can definitely jump start some things.