Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Vulnerable is the Division in 2021?

(02-01-2021, 10:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 12:39 PM)D6 Wrote: Now that the Texans are going with David Culley as their new HC,  barring something totally unexpected, the Colts got a huge break with Defensive Coordinator Matt Eberflus not landing an NFL HC job this year. As impressive as Frank Reich has been overall as Colts HC, Eberflus has been the same as their DC.  

When studying the Colts in greater depth leading up to their November 1 game in Detroit, I was skeptical that the Colts Defense was as good as their Defensive stats reflected.  During the Colts win over the Lions, a game that wasn't close late, I became convinced that the Colts Defense was amongst the best in the NFL.  Nothing changed my mind since then. 

Eberflus is a good DC and the Colts did get a break in retaining him another season.

However, it seems they lost their top choice for a veteran QB to replace Rivers in the Stafford trade, as well as their LT to retirement.

They lost another veteran QB in Goff.  The Eagles fired Pederson because of differences between a pro Wentz ownership and Pederson, who apparently soured on him.  I don't think the Eagles will be inclined to trade him this offseason, even if they like Hurts.  Nor do I see the Texans trading Watson within their division.

Barring something unexpected with a guy like Aaron Rodgers, the Colts will either have to go with a 2nd or 3rd tier vet QB, or to draft and develop a rookie that falls, or spend the draft capital to trade up for a rookie.  If they trade up for a QB, it'll be harder to fill the LT role.

The Colts could plateau for a year or so sorting this out.

The Colts indeed have a dilemma. Yet, after seeing that the Colts reportedly didn't even offer pick # 21 in the 2021 Draft as part of a potential trade with the Lions for Matthew Stafford,  I have doubts they will satisfy the Falcons in a trade for Matt Ryan.  

The two reasons why I believe Carson Wentz is a realistic possibility for the Colts in a trade for the Eagles are the Frank Reich connection with Wentz and that Wentz likely would be traded for far less than Stafford and what it would take to get Matt Ryan.  

Because the Colts have a great salary cap situation for 2021,  they could aggressively pursue a LT in Free Agency. With a lower NFL Salary Cap expected in 2021,  one or more higher quality LTs that in most years wouldn't hit the open market without being re-signed or tagged, very realistically could be available.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Vulnerable is the Division in 2021? - by D6 - 02-05-2021, 01:21 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 02-08-2021, 03:25 PM