Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elite staff

Conley was definitely a locker room leader and he questioned it already.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well if we were trying to repair "relationships" and image with players after the Coughlin disaster Meyer didnt make a great first step to start with.

We will see how It goes but this controversy could have easily been avoided, its not like you are bringing a belichick in as your defensive coordinator to counter the baggage.

Conley first reaction Is a prime exemple of how players and locker rooms might react at these kind of hires.

(02-11-2021, 05:59 PM)Upper Wrote: Conley was definitely a locker room leader and he questioned it already.

Conley is likely (hopefully) gone anyway, so his response doesn't matter. We'll just have to see how the rest of the locker room reacts. If I were Doyle, I'd get ahead of this thing and call every black player on this team. I would apologize for the past and reassure the team that he is a changed man. The best thing he can do is tell them he is sorry and start to do positive things to win over the locker room. If he doesn't address it and refuses to talk about it, that would be a bad look for him.

I am sure the vast majority of the players are like minded with Conley. It definitely matters.

Ehhh young people tend to exhagerate a lot of things it seems to me. I find it hard to believe if he was really that bad that it wouldnt have come up in two decades of coaching the players. People also misconstru many things said now. The weight room also has a lot of testosterone flying around. If you had a problem with him man up and say something directly to him instead of being a whiner.

I domt find this bothers me. I believe things like this get waaaay blown out of proportion. People need to learn how to sack up.

(02-11-2021, 05:52 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 03:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Catching a lot of flack for hiring Doyle from Iowa.

In your 20 plus years of coaching, not one other worthwhile candidate? Urbz is certainly loyal to his buds, whether that is a positive trait or not is debatable in these kids of instances.

We'll see if the locker room reacts, that is the important part.

A lot of our players are young and probably already worried about keeping their jobs. They will probably be too scared to voice their true opinions. I'm sure Urban took that into acct. He will probably get rid of anyone that does. The way he didn't really answer the questions was very cringy though.

Dumb hire, why the hell do you run the risk of alienating your players with this kind of hire?! Such a pointless distraction for a s&c coach.

Blah blah blah. Give the guy a chance and if he is a problem, coach will get rid of him. Jags need all the hit men for hire we can get.

(02-11-2021, 07:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If I were Doyle, I'd get ahead of this thing and call every black player on this team.

The concern is surely what he's going to call every black player on this team...

(02-12-2021, 07:19 AM)iapetus Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 07:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If I were Doyle, I'd get ahead of this thing and call every black player on this team.

The concern is surely what he's going to call every black player on this team...

I've read the allegations of what he said and it wasn't anything like that. Still seems like a little bit of a tone deaf hire. Theoretically an accusation shouldn't be considered proof but in practice...it would probably have been safer to go in a different direction.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 09:20 AM by Mikey.)

(02-11-2021, 08:59 PM)surfon Wrote: Ehhh young people tend to exhagerate a lot of things it seems to me.  I find it hard to believe if he was really that bad that it wouldnt have come up in two decades of coaching the players.  People also misconstru many things said now.  The weight room also has a lot of testosterone flying around.  If you had a problem with him man up and say something directly to him instead of being a whiner.  

I domt find this bothers me.  I believe things like this get waaaay blown out of proportion.  People need to learn how to sack up.

This 'dig your heels in the sand' attitude is why we are rebuilding yet again.

If the guys have a beef, air it out. Hopefully, Doyle's mistakes are in his past and stay there. But to just say tough noogies, he's our dude, like it or leave it, well, there's going to be a segment of the locker room that chooses the latter. And yeah, when 50 different people are making allegations, it's not just one or two 'whiners', as you say. That screams of a systemic issue, and taking your complaint directly to the offender likely isn't going to lead to change.

(02-12-2021, 07:47 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 07:19 AM)iapetus Wrote: The concern is surely what he's going to call every black player on this team...

I've read the allegations of what he said and it wasn't anything like that. Still seems like a little bit of a tone deaf hire. Theoretically an accusation shouldn't be considered proof but in practice...it would probably have been safer to go in a different direction.

I get wanting to give friends jobs and all, but Urbz would have been wiser to put a different guy in charge, and let Doyle have some lower-level position in the group to work his way into favor. A little humble pie goes a long way toward smoothing rough waters.

(02-12-2021, 09:16 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 07:47 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I've read the allegations of what he said and it wasn't anything like that. Still seems like a little bit of a tone deaf hire. Theoretically an accusation shouldn't be considered proof but in practice...it would probably have been safer to go in a different direction.

I get wanting to give friends jobs and all, but Urbz would have been wiser to put a different guy in charge, and let Doyle have some lower-level position in the group to work his way into favor. A little humble pie goes a long way toward smoothing rough waters.

It's not just the friendship aspect. By most accounts the guy is an elite level strength and conditioning coach. Obviously that's not the ONLY consideration which is why I question the hire but don't think for a minute that Meyer brought the guy in strictly due to friendship.

I wish we could hear from some other players on that team. The players who did speak out said there were issues not just with Doyle but with the program in general which indicates a systematic problem.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to hire someone who might make free agents think twice before coming here, or make players want to be traded. Better to limit the risk of that happening from the get go.

I have yet to hear the exact allegations of what Doyle said that was racist. I did hear that he used abusive language which frankly I don't care about. Kids nowadays are so coddled that they think they should hear nothing but compliments and when they get criticized, they fall apart. I also heard that there was a complaint, because some players didn't like that he made them dress a certain way, that they didn't want to conform to. Boo hoo! When I played football on game days, we were forced to wear a button down shirt, tie and dress shoes. It's called being professional. Kids think they should be able to dress in over-sized shirts, sneakers and their pants hanging down to their ankles. Nothing I've heard sounds in the least bit racist. Maybe if I can find out what he actually said, I'd change my mind, but right now, I'm not convinced.

(02-12-2021, 08:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I have yet to hear the exact allegations of what Doyle said that was racist. I did hear that he used abusive language which frankly I don't care about. Kids nowadays are so coddled that they think they should hear nothing but compliments and when they get criticized, they fall apart. I also heard that there was a complaint, because some players didn't like that he made them dress a certain way, that they didn't want to conform to. Boo hoo! When I played football on game days, we were forced to wear a button down shirt, tie and dress shoes. It's called being professional. Kids think they should be able to dress in over-sized shirts, sneakers and their pants hanging down to their ankles. Nothing I've heard sounds in the least bit racist. Maybe if I can find out what he actually said, I'd change my mind, but right now, I'm not convinced.

Because they have nothing better to talk about this time of year, sports radio is making a mountain out of it.

Of course it then segues into what a scandal-ridden organization the Jags are because of Tom Coughlin and win-at-all-cost Meyer.

(02-12-2021, 08:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I have yet to hear the exact allegations of what Doyle said that was racist. I did hear that he used abusive language which frankly I don't care about. Kids nowadays are so coddled that they think they should hear nothing but compliments and when they get criticized, they fall apart. I also heard that there was a complaint, because some players didn't like that he made them dress a certain way, that they didn't want to conform to. Boo hoo! When I played football on game days, we were forced to wear a button down shirt, tie and dress shoes. It's called being professional. Kids think they should be able to dress in over-sized shirts, sneakers and their pants hanging down to their ankles. Nothing I've heard sounds in the least bit racist. Maybe if I can find out what he actually said, I'd change my mind, but right now, I'm not convinced.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895...t-comments

TLDR, he's an [BLEEP] and it's only fitting that this team shoots itself in the dick every chance it gets.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 09:46 PM by Upper.)

I think it was just a flat out stupid hire considering what we just went through with the NFLPA and Coughlin. We already had a target on our backs and instead of hiring any of the million other quality nutritionists (that's all he's going to be for us it appears) we had to go and throw gas on the fire. It doesn't matter if Meyer thinks it was overblown or if he is a changed man or whatnot the optics are awful and we're paying for it regardless of if it's black and white or gray. It's not like he's a star studded offensive coordinator or something either it's one of the least important jobs on the coaching staff.

(02-12-2021, 09:24 PM)Iason Wrote:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895...t-comments

TLDR, he's an [BLEEP] and it's only fitting that this team shoots itself in the dick every chance it gets.

I read everything in this article and I didn't see anything maliciously racist. What I did see was an ignorant, old, white guy who didn't know any better, trying to be "one of the guys" in a humorous way and he didn't realize that such things are no longer acceptable. Most white people of a certain age are guilty of this at least once in their life. They say something that sounds harmless and funny in their head, but when other people hear it, they get offended. There might have been no ill intent behind the words, but with the ever changing social environment, some people can't keep up with what is acceptable and what isn't. I've been guilty of this myself. It's called living and learning. It's why I stay far away from social media. Things that offend people today and are construed as racist, were largely seen as harmless just a few short years ago, but in today's "cancel culture" no one is granted a second chance if people get offended, especially if it has anything to do with race. If the guy had no ill intent by his remarks, as I suspect, he needs to be given the chance to explain himself, apologize and show how he has learned from is mistakes and how he is becoming a better person.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 10:26 PM by Upper.)

This is going to cost us free agents. Perception is reality it doesn't matter what the gray areas may be.

https://twitter.com/bigwillie7179/status...23812?s=21

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 10:51 PM by homebiscuit.)

(02-12-2021, 10:25 PM)Upper Wrote: This is going to cost us free agents. Perception is reality it doesn't matter what the gray areas may be.

https://twitter.com/bigwillie7179/status...23812?s=21

Free agents play for the money. Would you turn down an extra few hundred thousand because the strength and conditioning coach uttered some nebulous phrase in a past job and is under a microscope?