Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elite staff

He resigned. Lol.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Now what will everyone complain about?

(02-13-2021, 12:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Now what will everyone complain about?

That they hired him in the first place, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-13-2021, 12:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Now what will everyone complain about?

Give them a few minutes..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2021, 01:27 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-12-2021, 10:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 10:25 PM)Upper Wrote: This is going to cost us free agents. Perception is reality it doesn't matter what the gray areas may be.

https://twitter.com/bigwillie7179/status...23812?s=21

Free agents play for the money. Would you turn down an extra few hundred thousand because the strength and conditioning coach uttered some nebulous phrase in a past job and is under a microscope?

In today's climate, I know people that would. Not everyone in this world is driven by money.

(02-13-2021, 12:20 AM)TownCenterJag Wrote: He resigned. Lol.

Cancel culture gets another one. I knew this one wasn't gonna work out well. In today's tense climate, every mistake you've ever made in your entire life is gonna be brought to light and endlessly scrutinized. I have no idea why anyone would want to be famous.

(02-13-2021, 12:51 AM)Dimson Wrote:

That they hired him in the first place, lol.

Exactly.

(02-12-2021, 10:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 09:24 PM)Iason Wrote: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895...t-comments

TLDR, he's an [BLEEP] and it's only fitting that this team shoots itself in the dick every chance it gets.

I read everything in this article and I didn't see anything maliciously racist. What I did see was an ignorant, old, white guy who didn't know any better, trying to be "one of the guys" in a humorous way and he didn't realize that such things are no longer acceptable. Most white people of a certain age are guilty of this at least once in their life. They say something that sounds harmless and funny in their head, but when other people hear it, they get offended. There might have been no ill intent behind the words, but with the ever changing social environment, some people can't keep up with what is acceptable and what isn't. I've been guilty of this myself. It's called living and learning. It's why I stay far away from social media. Things that offend people today and are construed as racist, were largely seen as harmless just a few short years ago, but in today's "cancel culture" no one is granted a second chance if people get offended, especially if it has anything to do with race. If the guy had no ill intent by his remarks, as I suspect, he needs to be given the chance to explain himself, apologize and show how he has learned from is mistakes and how he is becoming a better person.

It sounds like you're upset that the people that were the butt of the jokes coming from old white guys started to stand up for themselves.

I will give it to him. Resigning was the honorable thing to do. His friend hired him in attempt to fix his reputation and I get it because in the current environment, noone else probably would. He returned that love for his friend by not allowing him to continue to be skewered in the media. Jaguars simply don't have the cache for that right now. I mean we're already fresh off the NFLPA telling FAs not to come here plus a few premiere players wanting out and mentioning leadership environment. I don't blame Urban, I blame Shad. He knows exactly what this organization just went through with player relations stuff. He should have known that would be the worst way to start off with a new regime. Anyway, the future's still bright with Trevor.

Did Doyle ever attempt to apologize for the things he said? Did he promise to do better going forward?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2021, 03:58 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-13-2021, 02:11 PM)Iason Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 10:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I read everything in this article and I didn't see anything maliciously racist. What I did see was an ignorant, old, white guy who didn't know any better, trying to be "one of the guys" in a humorous way and he didn't realize that such things are no longer acceptable. Most white people of a certain age are guilty of this at least once in their life. They say something that sounds harmless and funny in their head, but when other people hear it, they get offended. There might have been no ill intent behind the words, but with the ever changing social environment, some people can't keep up with what is acceptable and what isn't. I've been guilty of this myself. It's called living and learning. It's why I stay far away from social media. Things that offend people today and are construed as racist, were largely seen as harmless just a few short years ago, but in today's "cancel culture" no one is granted a second chance if people get offended, especially if it has anything to do with race. If the guy had no ill intent by his remarks, as I suspect, he needs to be given the chance to explain himself, apologize and show how he has learned from is mistakes and how he is becoming a better person.

It sounds like you're upset that the people that were the butt of the jokes coming from old white guys started to stand up for themselves.

Not at all. I read the accusations and I saw no malice. I saw an old white guy trying to connect with his players "ripping" on them. What he didn't realize is you can't do that in today's world. The new generation (of all races) has been coddled and taught to be victims. They are thin skinned and super sensitive. Everything is serious and you can't joke with them at all. I'll be 50 in march and that's what me and my buddies do. We're constantly "ragging" on one another and there is absolutely no ill intent behind it. They're a great bunch of guys and we're always laughing and having fun. That's what was acceptable back then. Nowadays, you can't do that type of thing. The atmosphere is constantly changing and if you can't keep up and you make one little mistake, your life is ruined and you're basically canceled. You can beat women and children, torture animals and a plethora of other violent offenses and you'll get second chances, but say something out of turn and everyone wants you wiped off the face of the earth. 

This is partly why there is such a divide between the races and a divide in generations. Everyone is so mindful of everything that comes out of their mouths, that many people choose to distance themselves from people of other races or other generations in fear that they might accidentally say something offensive and be attacked by society. It's sad. People don't look at if there was any intent behind what people say, they only see what they are conditioned to see and right now, they are taught that everything is offensive. 

Should Doyle have been more aware of his actions? Certainly. When you work around college age kids of varying races, you have to watch everything you say, but you also have to realize he comes from a different era. He and I are close to the same age. When we were playing football, you were screamed at, cussed at and insulted. That's the way things were back then and it toughened us up and made us unbothered by little things that don't matter. He was probably trying to pass on how he was coached and that way is no longer accepted. His locker room behavior sounded very similar to how ours was in high school, only no one ever got offended. 

Was it bad optics in today's world to hire Doyle? Absolutely. This is gonna definitely cost us some free agents, because no matter that he resigned, there is still the stigma out there that we are the team with the head coach that hired a "racist". That is a bad look that Meyer now has to try and overcome and quite frankly, I don't know if he can.

(02-13-2021, 03:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did Doyle ever attempt to apologize for the things he said? Did he promise to do better going forward?

Yes, he did, but that doesn't matter, because in too many people's eyes, he committed an unforgivable sin.

(02-13-2021, 03:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: Did Doyle ever attempt to apologize for the things he said? Did he promise to do better going forward?

Yes, he did, but that doesn't matter, because in too many people's eyes, he committed an unforgivable sin.

Taking your word for it, it starts to sound a lot like the Chris Harrison situation.
It shouldn't be like that. But maybe it'll get better for him, if he does something like volunteer for and underperforming football team in the inner city for a few years.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-13-2021, 02:11 PM)Iason Wrote: It sounds like you're upset that the people that were the butt of the jokes coming from old white guys started to stand up for themselves.

Not at all. I read the accusations and I saw no malice. I saw an old white guy trying to connect with his players "ripping" on them. What he didn't realize is you can't do that in today's world. The new generation (of all races) has been coddled and taught to be victims. They are thin skinned and super sensitive. Everything is serious and you can't joke with them at all. I'll be 50 in march and that's what me and my buddies do. We're constantly "ragging" on one another and there is absolutely no ill intent behind it. They're a great bunch of guys and we're always laughing and having fun. That's what was acceptable back then. Nowadays, you can't do that type of thing. The atmosphere is constantly changing and if you can't keep up and you make one little mistake, your life is ruined and you're basically canceled. You can beat women and children, torture animals and a plethora of other violent offenses and you'll get second chances, but say something out of turn and everyone wants you wiped off the face of the earth. 

This is partly why there is such a divide between the races and a divide in generations. Everyone is so mindful of everything that comes out of their mouths, that many people choose to distance themselves from people of other races or other generations in fear that they might accidentally say something offensive and be attacked by society. It's sad. People don't look at if there was any intent behind what people say, they only see what they are conditioned to see and right now, they are taught that everything is offensive. 

Should Doyle have been more aware of his actions? Certainly. When you work around college age kids of varying races, you have to watch everything you say, but you also have to realize he comes from a different era. He and I are close to the same age. When we were playing football, you were screamed at, cussed at and insulted. That's the way things were back then and it toughened us up and made us unbothered by little things that don't matter. He was probably trying to pass on how he was coached and that way is no longer accepted. His locker room behavior sounded very similar to how ours was in high school, only no one ever got offended. 

Was it bad optics in today's world to hire Doyle? Absolutely. This is gonna definitely cost us some free agents, because no matter that he resigned, there is still the stigma out there that we are the team with the head coach that hired a "racist". That is a bad look that Meyer now has to try and overcome and quite frankly, I don't know if he can.

Pretty much spot on.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-13-2021, 02:11 PM)Iason Wrote: It sounds like you're upset that the people that were the butt of the jokes coming from old white guys started to stand up for themselves.

That said, you could also see how him telling a player he'd send them back to the ghetto when they are from an upper middle class family with 2 parents might be rooted in prejudice. I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is a line. Should he lose his career forever? Not in my opinion. Was this a bad hire? Meyer probably should have seen this coming.

(02-13-2021, 06:28 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not at all. I read the accusations and I saw no malice. I saw an old white guy trying to connect with his players "ripping" on them. What he didn't realize is you can't do that in today's world. The new generation (of all races) has been coddled and taught to be victims. They are thin skinned and super sensitive. Everything is serious and you can't joke with them at all. I'll be 50 in march and that's what me and my buddies do. We're constantly "ragging" on one another and there is absolutely no ill intent behind it. They're a great bunch of guys and we're always laughing and having fun. That's what was acceptable back then. Nowadays, you can't do that type of thing. The atmosphere is constantly changing and if you can't keep up and you make one little mistake, your life is ruined and you're basically canceled. You can beat women and children, torture animals and a plethora of other violent offenses and you'll get second chances, but say something out of turn and everyone wants you wiped off the face of the earth. 

That said, you could also see how him telling a player he'd send them back to the ghetto when they are from an upper middle class family with 2 parents might be rooted in prejudice. I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is a line. Should he lose his career forever? Not in my opinion. Was this a bad hire? Meyer probably should have seen this coming.
It’s like they didn’t even expect people to question the hire.

Also, there’s a big difference between roasting your buddies because they’re.... ya know.... your buddies and berating players as a coach.

There’s a lot of things I say to my best friends that I wouldn’t say to my players. I’ve coached at the high school level and you do have to be careful with what you say. That’s nothing new. If your only way to motivate players is to humiliate them, then to me, you’re a bad coach.

-Funnily enough, in our friend group we rag on each other too. We just find a way to do it without being racist. It's possible. 
-No, that is not partly why there is a divide in races and generations. But you knew that already, you were just trying to build a strawman. 
-I look forward to following his career running the strength and conditioning programs for 50 and over flag football teams.

(02-13-2021, 07:22 PM)Iason Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 03:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not at all. I read the accusations and I saw no malice. I saw an old white guy trying to connect with his players "ripping" on them. What he didn't realize is you can't do that in today's world. The new generation (of all races) has been coddled and taught to be victims. They are thin skinned and super sensitive. Everything is serious and you can't joke with them at all. I'll be 50 in march and that's what me and my buddies do. We're constantly "ragging" on one another and there is absolutely no ill intent behind it. They're a great bunch of guys and we're always laughing and having fun. That's what was acceptable back then. Nowadays, you can't do that type of thing. The atmosphere is constantly changing and if you can't keep up and you make one little mistake, your life is ruined and you're basically canceled. You can beat women and children, torture animals and a plethora of other violent offenses and you'll get second chances, but say something out of turn and everyone wants you wiped off the face of the earth. 

-Funnily enough, in our friend group we rag on each other too. We just find a way to do it without being racist. It's possible. 
-No, that is not partly why there is a divide in races and generations. But you knew that already, you were just trying to build a strawman. 
-I look forward to following his career running the strength and conditioning programs for 50 and over flag football teams.

When you live in a society where rice and maple syrup is racist, anything can be.. Words and actions can be twisted, very easily..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2021, 07:40 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-13-2021, 06:28 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:

I got told by a coach if I didn't shape up, I was going to have to go back to the trailer park and work 12 hour days in a factory after I graduated. I have never lived in a trailer park. I grew up in a middle class family in a rural area, but we had a nice house and both my parents had decent jobs. I never took what the coach said as offensive, it was just a way to motivate kids to be better. It was a different time back then. People had thicker skin and weren't so ultra sensitive. We had to work for everything we got. Nowadays, kids of all races, just want things handed to them without facing any adversity.

(02-13-2021, 07:22 PM)Iason Wrote:

You sound like one of those overly sensitive people that I was talking about.

(02-13-2021, 07:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 06:28 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: That said, you could also see how him telling a player he'd send them back to the ghetto when they are from an upper middle class family with 2 parents might be rooted in prejudice. I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is a line. Should he lose his career forever? Not in my opinion. Was this a bad hire? Meyer probably should have seen this coming.

I got told by a coach if I didn't shape up, I was going to have to go back to the trailer park and work 12 hour days in a factory after I graduated. I have never lived in a trailer park. I grew up in a middle class family in a rural area, but we had a nice house and both my parents had decent jobs. I never took what the coach said as offensive, it was just a way to motivate kids to be better. It was a different time back then. People had thicker skin and weren't so ultra sensitive. We had to work for everything we got. Nowadays, kids of all races, just want things handed to them without facing any adversity.

(02-13-2021, 07:22 PM)Iason Wrote: -Funnily enough, in our friend group we rag on each other too. We just find a way to do it without being racist. It's possible. 

That type of motivation worked for YOU. It doesn’t work for everyone and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I had one player where all I had to do was give him the look and he would understand and turn it around. Another player had to be motivated by taking him out of the game considering he was our best player and it would fire him up. People learn differently and are motivated differently. If you call one player fat, it’ll motivate them to lose weight. Another one will internalize it and it will have the opposite effect. 

So yes, your coach belittling you worked for you but it doesn’t work for everyone.

(02-13-2021, 07:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 07:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I got told by a coach if I didn't shape up, I was going to have to go back to the trailer park and work 12 hour days in a factory after I graduated. I have never lived in a trailer park. I grew up in a middle class family in a rural area, but we had a nice house and both my parents had decent jobs. I never took what the coach said as offensive, it was just a way to motivate kids to be better. It was a different time back then. People had thicker skin and weren't so ultra sensitive. We had to work for everything we got. Nowadays, kids of all races, just want things handed to them without facing any adversity.

That type of motivation worked for YOU. It doesn’t work for everyone and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I had one player where all I had to do was give him the look and he would understand and turn it around. Another player had to be motivated by taking him out of the game considering he was our best player and it would fire him up. People learn differently and are motivated differently. If you call one player fat, it’ll motivate them to lose weight. Another one will internalize it and it will have the opposite effect. 

So yes, your coach belittling you worked for you but it doesn’t work for everyone.

I know that, but I'm just pointing out if that is how he learned to coach, that is gonna be his coaching style. He might not mean any harm in it, he's just trying to motivate his players the way he was motivated. Instead of firing the guy, maybe they should have sat him down and pointed out what is and what isn't acceptable nowadays. From what I read, he wasn't given a chance to change. He was just unceremoniously fired and isn't being given any second chances to change. It just seems ridiculous that Tyreek Hill beats women and children and basically, everyone forgets that and he is heralded. Michael Vick tortured and killed dogs and that's just fine. Fox gives him a new gig as an analyst on Sunday mornings. Doyle on the other hand, said some out of turn things and hurt people's feelings, yet he is essentially cancelled. To me, that just seems like society is devolving.

(02-13-2021, 08:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 07:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That type of motivation worked for YOU. It doesn’t work for everyone and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I know that, but I'm just pointing out if that is how he learned to coach, that is gonna be his coaching style. He might not mean any harm in it, he's just trying to motivate his players the way he was motivated. Instead of firing the guy, maybe they should have sat him down and pointed out what is and what isn't acceptable nowadays. From what I read, he wasn't given a chance to change. He was just unceremoniously fired and isn't being given any second chances to change. It just seems ridiculous that Tyreek Hill beats women and children and basically, everyone forgets that and he is heralded. Michael Vick tortured and killed dogs and that's just fine. Fox gives him a new gig as an analyst on Sunday mornings. Doyle on the other hand, said some out of turn things and hurt people's feelings, yet he is essentially cancelled. To me, that just seems like society is devolving.
100% agree with Tyreek and the rest. Absolute trash and shouldn’t have come back.

I don’t think we know the full extent of what Doyle said in the past but my issue comes with the Jags not thinking this would be an issue. It’s as if they weren’t prepared for people to question the hire. AND if you still kinda have the stink of Coughlin, you’re not helping your case.

And if Doyle’s only style of motivation is to humiliate and belittle, then he shouldn’t have been hired in the first place because that won’t work with grown men.

(02-13-2021, 07:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 06:28 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: That said, you could also see how him telling a player he'd send them back to the ghetto when they are from an upper middle class family with 2 parents might be rooted in prejudice. I agree with most of what you wrote, but there is a line. Should he lose his career forever? Not in my opinion. Was this a bad hire? Meyer probably should have seen this coming.

(02-13-2021, 07:22 PM)Iason Wrote: -Funnily enough, in our friend group we rag on each other too. We just find a way to do it without being racist. It's possible. 

What an elegant surrender, Boomer.