Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elite staff

So if we switch to 3-4 what do we do with Myles? Trade him?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2021, 10:02 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: So if we switch to 3-4 what do we do with Myles? Trade him?

He can play outside or he can play the second ILB spot. Also he would be a guaranteed starter in a Nickel package.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-21-2021, 10:02 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: So if we switch to 3-4 what do we do with Myles? Trade him?

What is this thought that Jack can't play in a 3-4? He's crazy athletic, and ILB in a 3-4 is different than MLB in a 4-3. Have Schobert be the other ILB and call the defense like he did at MLB this year. Or use a 3-3-5 concept and he's playing similar to his 4-3 WLB spot or even a SS position.

There's PLENTY of ways to use him.

(01-21-2021, 10:55 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

What is this thought that Jack can't play in a 3-4? He's crazy athletic, and ILB in a 3-4 is different than MLB in a 4-3. Have Schobert be the other ILB and call the defense like he did at MLB this year. Or use a 3-3-5 concept and he's playing similar to his 4-3 WLB spot or even a SS position.

There's PLENTY of ways to use him.

I might be misunderstanding but I thought in 3-4 linebackers were the pass rushers?

(01-21-2021, 11:11 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I might be misunderstanding but I thought in 3-4 linebackers were the pass rushers?

Outside linebackers are pass rushers, inside linebackers have double duty of having to stop the run but also stop the pass with only two LB in most cases. As long as Jack doesn't have to do the play calling/diagnosing he should be pretty well equipped athletically to be a modern 3-4 ILB.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 08:21 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quarterman is taylor made for a 3-4 ILB. I'd honestly like to see him over Schobert or at least get some snaps in the preseason and get a good look. It says SQ is 235 but he looks closer to 250

(01-21-2021, 11:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 11:11 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I might be misunderstanding but I thought in 3-4 linebackers were the pass rushers?

Outside linebackers are pass rushers, inside linebackers have double duty of having to stop the run but also stop the pass with only two LB in most cases. As long as Jack doesn't have to do the play calling/diagnosing he should be pretty well equipped athletically to be a modern 3-4 ILB.

Ok, so he can play ILB together with Schobert(16m cap hit so he will be starting) in base but what about nickel and dime packages? If we move to a 3-3-5 then one of him, Allen and Chaisson will be on the sideline unless you can play Jack as safety. Playing a 4-2-5 would make room for all of them but is on the other hand more like what we have today. 

I asked someone this before but could you explain the difference between a Ravens 3-4 and a Jaguars 4-3 Under?

How would yall feel about bringing in Patrick Pete? Had a lite bit of a down year last year but I think a change of scenery would be great for him and I think Urban could get the best out of him and he'll have a bounce back year. To have that veteran corner back there would be great for CJ as well.

(01-22-2021, 10:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How would yall feel about bringing in Patrick Pete?  Had a lite bit of a down year last year but I think a change of scenery would be great for him and I think Urban could get the best out of him and he'll have a bounce back year.  To have that veteran corner back there would be great for CJ as well.

When an aging player has a down year, that's usually not a good sign.  Plus, how many aging players who needed a "change of scenery" have come here and acted like they were just cashing a check and getting a vacation?

(01-22-2021, 10:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 10:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How would yall feel about bringing in Patrick Pete?  Had a lite bit of a down year last year but I think a change of scenery would be great for him and I think Urban could get the best out of him and he'll have a bounce back year.  To have that veteran corner back there would be great for CJ as well.

When an aging player has a down year, that's usually not a good sign.  Plus, how many aging players who needed a "change of scenery" have come here and acted like they were just cashing a check and getting a vacation?

Meh, I think he was battling some injuries and he's 30 not 35.  I'm not saying sign him to some big 5 year deal but I'd love to get him on say a 2 year deal.  Most really good players play at a high level in their younger 30s.

(01-22-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 10:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: When an aging player has a down year, that's usually not a good sign.  Plus, how many aging players who needed a "change of scenery" have come here and acted like they were just cashing a check and getting a vacation?

Meh, I think he was battling some injuries and he's 30 not 35.  I'm not saying sign him to some big 5 year deal but I'd love to get him on say a 2 year deal.  Most really good players play at a high level in their younger 30s.

Maybe I'm just being a cynic or a skeptic, but when an aging player who is battling injuries takes a 2 year deal from a 1-15 team, that's not a good sign either.  

Just my opinion.  My predictive powers are not that great, and I really know very little about Patrick Peterson's situation.

I like the Bevell/Cullen hires. I would have personally been okay with keeping Jay Gruden because I don’t think play calling was the problem but a new regime brings new life. This is good stuff. Cullen most likely brings a 3-4 defense and Bevell brings a creative and professional play caller.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2021, 08:16 PM by Jag88.)

^^ Yes jay gruden did a decent job. Im also looking forward to seeing how the staff makes the new jags look

Also, a lot of people want to trade for Alex Smith as a back up QB but I think his next phase in his football career is as a QB Coach for Urban Meyer and the Jags. Mahomes credits Smith for his development and I think he has a wealth of experience and has quarterbacked at a high level.

I wonder why they are taking so long to announce these hires?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-26-2021, 05:55 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: Also, a lot of people want to trade for Alex Smith as a back up QB but I think his next phase in his football career is as a QB Coach for Urban Meyer and the Jags. Mahomes credits Smith for his development and I think he has a wealth of experience and has quarterbacked at a high level.

There have been rumors of this.

On the fence about Cullen... His resume only consists of DL coach, so what makes him an "elite" DC? I would prefer a DC to have a more rounded resume rather a single position coach...But I suppose staying consistently employed as a position coach would mean you are good at that position, but does that mean he will make a good DC? I know there is no guarantee that any coach will be good, but unless his assistants such as LB coach, DB coach, et.al are good, they would solidify the defense and make Cullen look like a genius...Assuming he actually has a good scheme of his own of course. He may be busy developing his own scheme now, IDK. I wouldnt think  that a perennial DL coach would have already created his own defensive scheme and playbook and just had it laying in a drawer in his filing cabinet waiting for a DC job to come his way...

(01-26-2021, 11:09 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 05:55 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: Also, a lot of people want to trade for Alex Smith as a back up QB but I think his next phase in his football career is as a QB Coach for Urban Meyer and the Jags. Mahomes credits Smith for his development and I think he has a wealth of experience and has quarterbacked at a high level.

There have been rumors of this.
Doesn’t Smith have a pretty big contract? I’d rather take that money and spend it on pieces to support Trevor.