Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joe Biden's America

A per mile tax makes no sense. I agree with Marty.
I understand what they're trying to do, because a Tesla takes up just as much space on the road as a Toyota, but a Tesla doesn't pay gas taxes.
Eventually, after the electric recharging infrastructure is well established, and electric cars have a sustainable market share, it would make sense to charge more in vehicle registration taxes for electric cars.
They could also collect a tax at recharging stations. One or the other would be a lot more workable than a per mile tax.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-27-2021, 11:54 AM)mikesez Wrote: A per mile tax makes no sense. I agree with Marty.
I understand what they're trying to do,  because a Tesla takes up just as much space on the road as a Toyota, but a Tesla doesn't pay gas taxes.
Eventually, after the electric recharging infrastructure is well established, and electric cars have a sustainable market share, it would make sense to charge more in vehicle registration taxes for electric cars.
They could also collect a tax at recharging stations. One or the other would be a lot more workable than a per mile tax.

Vehicle registration isn't Federal and does nothing to help fund the frivolous spending of your party.

Hey, I have an idea. Maybe our government could function like a middle class family and live within their [BLEEP] means.

(03-27-2021, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 11:54 AM)mikesez Wrote: A per mile tax makes no sense. I agree with Marty.
I understand what they're trying to do,  because a Tesla takes up just as much space on the road as a Toyota, but a Tesla doesn't pay gas taxes.

Vehicle registration isn't Federal and does nothing to help fund the frivolous spending of your party.

Hey, I have an idea. Maybe our government could function like a middle class family and live within their [BLEEP] means.

vehicle registration taxes are collected by all 50 states and all us territories. it would be very simple for the federal government to piggyback their own tax on each of those State taxes, just like it's simple for states to piggyback their income tax on the federal forms. It may or may not be a good idea, but it would be easily implemented if it was a good idea.

I don't know any middle class families that can print money at will...

(03-27-2021, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

That's the principal flaw in the Democrat's financial strategy.  The solution is always to generate additional revenue through taxes (growing the government along the way) and imposing an ever increasing fiscal burden on the people.  There's never a thought given to reducing expenses or even reapportioning budgets to remain revenue neutral.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-27-2021, 01:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Vehicle registration isn't Federal and does nothing to help fund the frivolous spending of your party.

That's the principal flaw in the Democrat's financial strategy.  The solution is always to generate additional revenue through taxes (growing the government along the way) and imposing an ever increasing fiscal burden on the people.  There's never a thought given to reducing expenses or even reapportioning budgets to remain revenue neutral.

The only nations we compete with economically that have economically smaller governments than us are Mexico and Chile. 
I don't think we're in danger of having a government that's too big, at least not yet.
That said, I agree with you, that Democrats usually look to raise taxes and don't look for any offsetting tax decreases. but they kind of have to be that way, cuz the Republicans always do exactly the opposite.

(03-26-2021, 08:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The failed mayor turned transportation secretary wants to tax you by the mile.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg says taxing drivers by the mile “shows a lot of promise” and could be a way to fund a big infrastructure overhaul. https://t.co/fkI5nWt7sr

That is so [BLEEP] stupid
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-27-2021, 01:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 11:59 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Vehicle registration isn't Federal and does nothing to help fund the frivolous spending of your party.

The Democrats do tax and overspend. The modern Republican party overspends and passes tax cuts. Neither are sound fiscal policy. Businesses or individuals who do either tend to end up bankrupt.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-27-2021, 08:33 PM)captivating Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 06:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: No, it doesn't make any sense, because it isn't enforceable.  How do you measure and collect such a tax?  Do people have to report their mileage?  You'd have widespread cheating.  Or, to avoid cheating, does the government track us when we are driving? 

It's unworkable.  

And why establish a new tax, with a new bureaucracy to enforce it, new forms to fill out?  What a waste of time.  Why not just raise the gas tax if you must raise new taxes?

You self assess your income tax. If you want to cheat, you can but you take a risk.  You can do the same with insurance and get cheaper insurance by saying you drive only 5,000 miles, but again, you take a risk if you cheat.

Same with this.

Based on the way you are defending this horrible idea, or just arguing for the sake of arguing, I assume you are ok with the continuation of frivolous Democratic spending and finding a way to screw over the hard working middle class (which I'd assume you are a part of) to pay for it?

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 10:46 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Discuss.

[Image: FB-IMG-1616898968823.jpg]

Two teenage black girls killed a Pakistani Uber Eats driver in DC.

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021, 09:16 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-27-2021, 08:33 PM)captivating Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 06:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: No, it doesn't make any sense, because it isn't enforceable.  How do you measure and collect such a tax?  Do people have to report their mileage?  You'd have widespread cheating.  Or, to avoid cheating, does the government track us when we are driving? 

It's unworkable.  

And why establish a new tax, with a new bureaucracy to enforce it, new forms to fill out?  What a waste of time.  Why not just raise the gas tax if you must raise new taxes?

You self assess your income tax. If you want to cheat, you can but you take a risk.  You can do the same with insurance and get cheaper insurance by saying you drive only 5,000 miles, but again, you take a risk if you cheat.

Same with this.

Most people cannot cheat on their income taxes, because the IRS has a copy of their W2.  It also has a copy of any 1099s from banks and brokerages.   Financial transactions are all recorded and a great majority of them are reported to the IRS.  

On the other hand, unless we allow the federal government to track us as we drive around (very unlikely), a mileage tax will be ALL self-reported, and it will be impossible for the IRS to detect the cheating.

(03-28-2021, 09:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 08:33 PM)captivating Wrote: You self assess your income tax. If you want to cheat, you can but you take a risk.  You can do the same with insurance and get cheaper insurance by saying you drive only 5,000 miles, but again, you take a risk if you cheat.

Same with this.

Most people cannot cheat on their income taxes, because the IRS has a copy of their W2.  It also has a copy of any 1099s from banks and brokerages.   Financial transactions are all recorded and a great majority of them are reported to the IRS.  

On the other hand, unless we allow the federal government to track us as we drive around (very unlikely), a mileage tax will be ALL self-reported, and it will be impossible for the IRS to detect the cheating.

The Federal Government is in bed with Big Tech, whom produce the smartphone you carry with you in your car. You are being tracked already. It took awhile to get to this point, but people were willing to look the other way while it happened.

Personally, I hope this happens. Elections have consequences,  and people who put this guy in office need to feel the pain of that decision.

The best way to get something done..
If you..
If you hold near and dear..
To you that you..
Ummm..
Uh..
Like to be able to uhh..

Anyway...
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-27-2021, 08:33 PM)captivating Wrote: You self assess your income tax. If you want to cheat, you can but you take a risk.  You can do the same with insurance and get cheaper insurance by saying you drive only 5,000 miles, but again, you take a risk if you cheat.

Same with this.

Just add vehicle information and odometer boxes to the 1040, problem solved.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Same with this.

From what I can gather most brand new vehicles have GPS for Garmin-type capabilities and can be tracked. The government could decide to access that information and use it for this purpose, though its none of their damn business where we go in our daily lives.

Thank God my truck is 19 years old and can't be tracked. 

Also, this would be wholly detrimental to low income and retired folks who are already at a disadvantage with less income. Also, those whose jobs require travel like Uber, Door Dash, your local pizzeria, etc., would have to charge more to cover the cost. 

And to those like my husband who drives 100 miles round trip to go to work. We're not moving closer to his job because our house is paid for and he's eligible to retire in 12 years from his local government employer.

If gas tax isn't covering the cost of road maintenance then money isn't going where it should and/or it should be increased. NC pays a high gas tax and our roads are pretty good, whereas SC pays little in gas tax and their roads are terrible.

Par the course for this administration..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.king5.c...89dff48e0a
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 07:42 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Mayor Pete walking himself back from the ledge on the mileage tax.

The idea of putting the burden of their irresponsibility on the poorest people in the country didnt pass the public smell test.

Any idea how long it takes to make up 5T in tax revenue?

(03-30-2021, 07:41 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Mayor Pete walking himself back from the ledge on the mileage tax.

The idea of putting the burden of their irresponsibility on the poorest people in the country didnt pass the public smell test.

Any idea how long it takes to make up 5T in tax revenue?

Fire up the choppers, we can print that in about 3 hours.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Dem Sen. Cardin caught on hot mic telling Buttigieg how Dems will jam trillions of dollars for infrastructure | Fox News

I'm curious as to what will qualify as infrastructure to the dems if they pull this off.

(03-30-2021, 11:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dem Sen. Cardin caught on hot mic telling Buttigieg how Dems will jam trillions of dollars for infrastructure | Fox News

I'm curious as to what will qualify as infrastructure to the dems if they pull this off.

New bridges across the Rio Grande.