Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joe Biden's America

(07-29-2021, 01:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 12:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I take no pleasure in seeing this level of divisiveness in our country.

Blame your MSM for that.

That divisiveness started before Trump even took office..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-29-2021, 01:35 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 01:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Blame your MSM for that.

That divisiveness started before Trump even took office..

It's been around forever. Listen to Don Henley Dirty Laundry from 1982.

Where things this divisive in the 80s and 90s? I don't remember it in the 90s and in the 80s I was just a kid.

I don't like Biden but I wouldn't disrespect the Office of the POTUS. I just wouldn't react.

It's never been THIS bad.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Biden campaigned on being the great uniter, didn't he? He has gone out of his way to be divisive. He is a major part of the problem. The dude is on his last legs, not sure why he feels he has to pander to the extremists and can't be good old "moderate Joe".

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 04:33 PM by WingerDinger.)

I'm sittin here listen to this old skin bag rattle on like his brain is made from corn pops.. Biden is so full of [BLEEP].. Biden and his crew can go [BLEEP] themselves..

I feel better..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(07-29-2021, 04:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote: It's never been THIS bad.

1968 is the year I've been told most resembles our current societal and political climate. People have said the Obama era was pretty divisive. I wasn't paying attention back then since my life was hectic/chaotic enough. Plus I was rarely on FB and no other social media so I wasn't seeing or hearing it.

1861 sittin' over in the corner mumbling to itself.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 06:47 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

Society is measurably more divided now than anytime I have been alive.
There were always sharp disagreements, and always condemnations from one side to another, but the number of people who have such sharp disagreements keeps growing.
The most striking measurement, to me, is how the number of people who would accept if their child married outside of the parents preferred political party keeps going down. All other kinds of acceptance are going up. People are more tolerant of racial differences, people are more tolerant of homosexuality, people are more tolerant of other nationalities and religions. But not political differences. "Son, I'll still love you if you marry a man, but he better not be a republican!"
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-29-2021, 03:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Where things this divisive in the 80s and 90s? I don't remember it in the 90s and in the 80s I was just a kid.

I don't like Biden but I wouldn't disrespect the Office of the POTUS. I just wouldn't react.

From what I recall in my lifetime, no.

I do think that it started to get bad when President Obama got elected, and it went downhill from there.  He certainly didn't help matters any.  That's one of the major reasons that President Trump was elected.  People were "sick and tired" of the crap.

From what I recall you didn't see the "hate" rhetoric from not only opinion pieces, but also what people would call "hard news" until around the Bush Administration (G.W. Bush in the early 2000's).

A very good book that gives some insight into Washington politics is "The Pact" by Seven M. Gillon.  It talks about how then Speaker of The House Newt Gingrich and President Clinton actually worked together for the good of the country.  From that point I really can't say that there has been any "bi-partisan" work or agreement on anything.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-29-2021, 05:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: Society is measurably more divided now than anytime I have been alive.
There were always sharp disagreements, and always condemnations from one side to another, but the number of people who have such sharp disagreements keeps growing.
The most striking measurement, to me, is how the number of people who would accept if their child married outside of the parents preferred political party keeps going down. All other kinds of acceptance are going up. People are more tolerant of racial differences, people are more tolerant of homosexuality, people are more tolerant of other nationalities and religions. But not political differences. "Son, I'll still love you if you marry a man, but he better not be a republican!"

Your dad told you that last line, didn’t he?

(07-29-2021, 06:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 03:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Where things this divisive in the 80s and 90s? I don't remember it in the 90s and in the 80s I was just a kid.

From what I recall in my lifetime, no.

I do think that it started to get bad when President Obama got elected, and it went downhill from there.  He certainly didn't help matters any.  That's one of the major reasons that President Trump was elected.  People were "sick and tired" of the crap.

From what I recall you didn't see the "hate" rhetoric from not only opinion pieces, but also what people would call "hard news" until around the Bush Administration (G.W. Bush in the early 2000's).

A very good book that gives some insight into Washington politics is "The Pact" by Seven M. Gillon.  It talks about how then Speaker of The House Newt Gingrich and President Clinton actually worked together for the good of the country.  From that point I really can't say that there has been any "bi-partisan" work or agreement on anything.

Yeah, I was going to say it began to ramp up with 24 hour news, then went nuts with social media. Democrats and Republicans were fairly closely aligned in the 90s. Clinton was WAY right of modern day dems. Also, in retrospect, I'm not convinced Newt and Clinton did anything for the good of the country. They are largely to blame for China's power and the all consuming fire of corporate greed.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2021, 07:52 PM by mikesez.)

(07-29-2021, 06:55 PM)Jags Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 05:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: Society is measurably more divided now than anytime I have been alive.

Your dad told you that last line, didn’t he?

My father is a very tolerant person.  He loves me even though I don't share his religion or his political affiliation.

(07-29-2021, 07:29 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 06:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: From what I recall in my lifetime, no.

Yeah, I was going to say it began to ramp up with 24 hour news, then went nuts with social media. Democrats and Republicans were fairly closely aligned in the 90s. Clinton was WAY right of modern day dems. Also, in retrospect, I'm not convinced Newt and Clinton did anything for the good of the country. They are largely to blame for China's power and the all consuming fire of corporate greed.

100% accurate.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

House Dems vote to allow illegal immigrants to work as congressional staffers!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-d...k-congress
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

What a slob.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/biden-chin-note

Six months in office and Joe’s got:

- Covid back in full force (says CDC)

- mass number of migrants crossing the border — most ever

- inflation. highest in 30 years.

- lower-than-expected economic growth

- the WORST polling VP in history (#Kamala)

But at least they got rid of Trump. Could you imagine this Covid coverage if Trump was President? People can't see what's right in front of their faces.

(08-02-2021, 08:52 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: But at least they got rid of Trump. Could you imagine this Covid coverage if Trump was President? People can't see what's right in front of their faces.

Oh, they see it fine. They just don’t care because the MSM trumpets their beliefs. When the loudest microphone in the room agrees with you, objectivity is a mere annoyance that only the opposing side must adhere to.

We’ll be treated to a couple of snarky drive-bys on occasion to remind us of their advantage, but true analytical intellectualism is non-existent. Why risk debate when others who are immune from direct reproach can speak for them?

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2021, 08:10 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-02-2021, 07:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Six months in office and Joe’s got:

- Covid back in full force (says CDC)

- mass number of migrants crossing the border — most ever

- inflation. highest in 30 years.

- lower-than-expected economic growth

- the WORST polling VP in history (#Kamala)

But hey, it’s not the bad orange man!!!

I 100% agree with the first sentence. 

As far as toleration goes, are we really that more tolerable? Or is every little niche in our society getting shoved so far down our throats  that if we don’t agree with it we are labeled racist, homophobic, etc..?   I don’t agree with most of what’s going on, but I’m also not dumb enough to go out in public and try to fight the [BLEEP].  I’m not on social media whatsoever.  If I was and voiced my opinions I’d probably be on the news.

I'm no longer on FB because nearly everyone I know got stupid and started sharing all their thoughts and opinions about everything. I miss seeing long distance friends and family updates and photos and such but the snarky comments from both sides made it insufferable. Also having your own words twisted and used as an argument just to prove a point, valid or not, is just wrong.