Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

(10-25-2021, 06:13 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 05:59 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1...BY5ig&s=19

Don't like.

This kind of thing is not a "tax" it's a wealth grab.  It's unconstitutional and should be shut down immediately.  What is next?  Do democrats want to tax the value of your home?  I bought my property at a very modest price, made improvements to it and built a house.  My unrealized capital gain is probably tripled.  Am I going to be taxed on it because my land has more value even though I never sold it?

The democrat proposed "wealth tax" is exactly that.

Yes, calculated daily with a Minimum Daily Tax of $1 for those days when your value decreases. The MDT will be paid through a smart device app that will monitor your asset value in real time and you'll be required to register all assets with the Department of Unrealized Assets. Although you can pay the tax manually each day it will be easiest for everyone if you just sign up for autopay so they can just EFT your payment each day at 4pm.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2021, 09:07 PM by p_rushing.)

(10-25-2021, 06:13 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 05:59 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1...BY5ig&s=19

Don't like.

This kind of thing is not a "tax" it's a wealth grab.  It's unconstitutional and should be shut down immediately.  What is next?  Do democrats want to tax the value of your home?  I bought my property at a very modest price, made improvements to it and built a house.  My unrealized capital gain is probably tripled.  Am I going to be taxed on it because my land has more value even though I never sold it?

The democrat proposed "wealth tax" is exactly that.

401k is already taxed when you use it, so the tax will be paid .... but in the future when they aren't alive or in office. Now are they going to just tax it each year and then give credits when the market crashes? This is going to be terrible. Including homes is going to price a lot of people out as you better have savings to keep paying taxes each year as they just increase your home value to increase tax revenues.

I'll have to figure out what to move my money into to keep them from touching it. Although it won't matter if the illegal mandates continue.

(10-25-2021, 08:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

Don't like.

This ghoulish witch is like 100. Why is she still in this position?

Evil liberals seem to always live a long time.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Don't like.

[BLEEP] Her !!!

(10-26-2021, 01:45 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Don't like.

[BLEEP] Her !!!

You can bet all the wealthy politicians will exempt themselves.

(10-26-2021, 01:45 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Don't like.

[BLEEP] Her !!!

This is the party you vote for and now you want to complain?

BTW, this will never happen. It will be the GOP that tells the other brain dead base that this actually impacts them.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021, 05:26 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(10-26-2021, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 01:45 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [BLEEP] Her !!!

You can bet all the wealthy politicians will exempt themselves.

Urb would hit it.

(10-26-2021, 01:58 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 01:45 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [BLEEP] Her !!!

This is the party you vote for and now you want to complain?

I'm not going to agree with everything my party does.  Heck, being so close to the political center, I probably agree or disagree with 50% of what each party does.

We are officially Reopened !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

Who bought the PENN dip after the Dave Portnoy slander?

(11-05-2021, 12:40 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Who bought the PENN dip after the Dave Portnoy slander?

I never did PENN but that 20% dip was intriguing.  

Imagine waking up to Peloton today?  35% down.

I just picked up some BNTX and MRNA -- both down 22% today.

RBLX up 30% today. Gotta love these pops various companies are taking this month. There have been some crazy +/- swings. The hits have created great buying dips (e.g. BNTX and MRNA) and then stocks like this one (RBLX) is kind of like an early Christmas present.

Crazy stuff but more than exciting !!!

Biden and democrat policy starting to affect the stock market.  Pared some of my positions down and took profit(s).  Considering making a move into more "value" stocks that pay a good dividend.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I took profit(s) at the right time (for me).  The selloff today was brutal and gives a picture of what is to come.  The "mini rally" at the end of the day was probably institutional traders (not investors) "buying the dip" hoping for a big pop before the next move down.  I considered grabbing some Microsoft or Apple at what would be considered "bargain" prices today, but I'm not sure that the bottom is there yet.  I do think that a play to make is in an ETF like ITA which I have owned for quite a while might do well.  It's an Exchange Traded Fund with a focus on Aerospace and Defense.  The way the world is going right now I can see those companies in that fund making a lot of money.

I am also considering getting into more energy because oil is going to continue to rise.

Interesting times that we are getting into.  I'm kind of going against my "don't invest on today's news" philosophy, however this regime has made such a mess that we might have to look at that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2022, 03:04 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

Oh wow .... my fav topic is back on top again.

I've taken a longer term approach to my portfolio over the past few months.  Did manage to dump 25% about 10 days ago but the damage was done to the effect of ~ 8% hit.  I did reinvest yesterday before the big rally on the advise of various CNBC analysts, most of which stated that we may not be at the bottom but this is a good re-entry point for those that will be holding over the next 6 months or longer.

What a crazy few months.  Pretty amazing to see many of those tech stock losing 25%, 50%, and even 75% from its highs.

Still looking for a bit of a spike to the recovery stocks (airlines, cruiselines, etc.) once omicron is out and spring hits.  Who the heck really knows though. Lol.

(01-25-2022, 03:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Oh wow .... my fav topic is back on top again.

I've taken a longer term approach to my portfolio over the past few months.  Did manage to dump 25% about 10 days ago but the damage was done to the effect of ~ 8% hit.  I did reinvest yesterday before the big rally on the advise of various CNBC analysts, most of which stated that we may not be at the bottom but this is a good re-entry point for those that will be holding over the next 6 months or longer.

What a crazy few months.  Pretty amazing to see many of those tech stock losing 25%, 50%, and even 75% from its highs.

Still looking for a bit of a spike to the recovery stocks (airlines, cruiselines, etc.) once omicron is out and spring hits.  Who the heck really knows though. Lol.

I don't think it was really a "rally" at the end of the trading day yesterday the same as today.  I think that it's more likely the shorts are covering and taking profits.  That and perhaps a few investors buying value for the long term (> 5 years).  I'm holding off and just watching before I buy much of anything right now.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 08:30 AM by mal234. Edited 12 times in total.)

Is anyone else currently experiencing one of their retirement accounts being down.? This time of year, I work two jobs my government job and the longer-term job I held before that. The second job laid people off when Covid first began in 2020 and I went and was hired at the government job. Once things bounced back with the second job, I agreed to work with them on part time/part year basis. I usually work this job from December through April, (the busiest time of the year for it). sometimes May. This year I'm working it through May.  I have a Safe Harbor 401 K with the second job and it's currently down. I did/can choose the types of funds/investments I want to invest in. 

Today I made some adjustments to that account, by adjusting things to where I'm allocating more money into an income funds.  Prior to these adjustments I had my money from this job split almost evenly among three funds, (one for growth, income and growth and aggressive growth.) I wasn't having really anything going to one that's focused mainly on income, and I wonder how that may be impacting things. In addition to how things can be down due to inflation, etc....

I have a couple of more paychecks and a bonus check coming from second job before I'm done with it until December. Anyone have any suggestions on good funds to invest in, especially to counter with what's going on right now? I still have room to change things and get some money into accounts before my work at second job ends for this period. Though I really don't have much time to sit down and really go over all of the funds that are available right now. I'm working a lot of hours right now between the two jobs and am due into work to second job shortly.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 09:46 AM by KingIngram052787. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2022, 08:05 AM)mal234 Wrote: Is anyone else currently experiencing one of their retirement accounts being down.? This time of year, I work two jobs my government job and the longer-term job I held before that. The second job laid people off when Covid first began in 2020 and I went and was hired at the government job. Once things bounced back with the second job, I agreed to work with them on part time/part year basis. I usually work this job from December through April, (the busiest time of the year for it). sometimes May. This year I'm working it through May.  I have a Safe Harbor 401 K with the second job and it's currently down. I did/can choose the types of funds/investments I want to invest in. 

Today I made some adjustments to that account, by adjusting things to where I'm allocating more money into an income funds.  Prior to these adjustments I had my money from this job split almost evenly among three funds, (one for growth, income and growth and aggressive growth.) I wasn't having really anything going to one that's focused mainly on income, and I wonder how that may be impacting things. In addition to how things can be down due to inflation, etc....

I have a couple of more paychecks and a bonus check coming from second job before I'm done with it until December. Anyone have any suggestions on good funds to invest in, especially to counter with what's going on right now? I still have room to change things and get some money into accounts before my work at second job ends for this period. Though I really don't have much time to sit down and really go over all of the funds that are available right now. I'm working a lot of hours right now between the two jobs and am due into work to second job shortly.

Unfortunately, with inflation, unrest due to Russia/Ukraine, and fears of a recession, most things are down across the board.  A lot of suggestions will be based on your target retirement date, I'm not sure how old you are or how far away you are from retirement, but if you're still quite a ways away, I wouldn't worry about it too much, it'll have time to correct and catch things up.

In general, income funds which are generally made up of bonds are less volatile and "safer" than say a growth fund.  As people get closer to retirement they tend to cycle more into bonds and less into growth.

I know I'm not giving you much help here, but too much is dependent on personal circumstances.

I personally have a plan that I try to stick to no matter what is happening in the world because over time the plan I have built has been proven to work, but I'm also mid 30s and a long ways away form retirement. And that goes for all of my investments, not just stuff strictly in tax advantaged retirement accounts.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 07:55 PM by mal234. Edited 3 times in total.)

(04-28-2022, 09:45 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 08:05 AM)mal234 Wrote: Is anyone else currently experiencing one of their retirement accounts being down.? This time of year, I work two jobs my government job and the longer-term job I held before that. The second job laid people off when Covid first began in 2020 and I went and was hired at the government job. Once things bounced back with the second job, I agreed to work with them on part time/part year basis. I usually work this job from December through April, (the busiest time of the year for it). sometimes May. This year I'm working it through May.  I have a Safe Harbor 401 K with the second job and it's currently down. I did/can choose the types of funds/investments I want to invest in. 

Unfortunately, with inflation, unrest due to Russia/Ukraine, and fears of a recession, most things are down across the board.  A lot of suggestions will be based on your target retirement date, I'm not sure how old you are or how far away you are from retirement, but if you're still quite a ways away, I wouldn't worry about it too much, it'll have time to correct and catch things up.

In general, income funds which are generally made up of bonds are less volatile and "safer" than say a growth fund.  As people get closer to retirement they tend to cycle more into bonds and less into growth.

I know I'm not giving you much help here, but too much is dependent on personal circumstances.

I personally have a plan that I try to stick to no matter what is happening in the world because over time the plan I have built has been proven to work, but I'm also mid 30s and a long ways away form retirement.  And that goes for all of my investments, not just stuff strictly in tax advantaged retirement accounts.

Thanks for the input KingIngram. I appreciate it.  Smile It looks like we are around the same age. (I'm 35.)

Since Covid I've definitely had some big changes regarding employment (fortunately for the better) and I have gotten more of an opportunity to invest/save. 2020 right around the time I was laid off from the second/older job, right before I was hired by government job, I decided to invest more. That was beneficial to me and it also helped that my income started increasing around that time. (These changes have helped me move to a better place, get a new vehicle, etc...) I've received multiple raises from the government job from then and through this year as well. It's helps that the government gives at least one raise yearly even if it's a just cost of living raise. We got a decent one this year after the federal minimum wage for government jobs went up. Everyone including people over $15 got a nice boost due to that. My second job also gave me a raise. 

And this all happened before this latest round of inflation set in. Due to these changes I've been able to contribute more to retirement. I put a sizeable percentage of my paycheck from second job into the 401K for that job. I'm there part of the year, but I try and take advantage of having the two jobs during this time to save/invest more. Even if it means working a lot during this part of the year. I didn't like seeing recently that my account for that job was down over 6% but I do appreciate your advice. And thanks for the insight about the income/growth funds. I had wondered if I had made an error by not having more going into just an income account originally. I will keep in mind what you said about how those funds operate. 

A lot is going on in this country right now with the job market and economy right now. Inflation is definitely a big thing now and there are a lot of people that are quitting/changing jobs. And it seems several people who don't really want to work. And then there are those of us who have continued working (even with job changes)/worked very hard during this time as well. There are opportunities for people to earn more money during this time (and that was before inflation set in again), especially those of us that are grinders. Even at some workplaces where I live, an area that usually hasn't had much to offer in the way of decent paying jobs.

Vote for Biden, get a haircut
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 06:30 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

My advice would be, set your course and don't ever change it.  Most small investors do worse than the averages because they react to things.  They buy high and sell low.  The market is unpredictable in the short term.  We don't have any idea what's going to happen in the next year or two, and by the time you make up your mind about it, the market has already moved.  If you try to predict the future, you might get lucky, but usually, the average investor buys at the wrong time and sells at the wrong time.  

My advice is, put your money in the stock market and leave it there.  Avoid mutual funds that have management fees.  Those managers are worthless, and the fees they charge hurt the performance of those funds.  Buy an index fund like SPY and forget about it.  Don't make changes.

As far as bonds being "safer" than stocks, bonds are safer in the short term, but in the long term, they are not safe at all, because of inflation and the fact that over the long term, stocks will beat bonds by a huge margin.  Businesses borrow money by issuing bonds, and if those businesses couldn't use that borrowed money to make more money than the interest they are paying on those bonds, our economy would completely collapse.  That's why stocks do better than bonds over the long haul.