Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

(04-29-2022, 06:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 08:05 AM)mal234 Wrote: Is anyone else currently experiencing one of their retirement accounts being down.? This time of year, I work two jobs my government job and the longer-term job I held before that. The second job laid people off when Covid first began in 2020 and I went and was hired at the government job. Once things bounced back with the second job, I agreed to work with them on part time/part year basis. I usually work this job from December through April, (the busiest time of the year for it). sometimes May. This year I'm working it through May.  I have a Safe Harbor 401 K with the second job and it's currently down. I did/can choose the types of funds/investments I want to invest in. 

Today I made some adjustments to that account, by adjusting things to where I'm allocating more money into an income funds.  Prior to these adjustments I had my money from this job split almost evenly among three funds, (one for growth, income and growth and aggressive growth.) I wasn't having really anything going to one that's focused mainly on income, and I wonder how that may be impacting things. In addition to how things can be down due to inflation, etc....

I have a couple of more paychecks and a bonus check coming from second job before I'm done with it until December. Anyone have any suggestions on good funds to invest in, especially to counter with what's going on right now? I still have room to change things and get some money into accounts before my work at second job ends for this period. Though I really don't have much time to sit down and really go over all of the funds that are available right now. I'm working a lot of hours right now between the two jobs and am due into work to second job shortly.

My advice would be, set your course and don't ever change it.  Most small investors do worse than the averages because they react to things.  They buy high and sell low.  The market is unpredictable in the short term.  We don't have any idea what's going to happen in the next year or two, and by the time you make up your mind about it, the market has already moved.  If you try to predict the future, you might get lucky, but usually, the average investor buys at the wrong time and sells at the wrong time.  

My advice is, put your money in the stock market and leave it there.  Avoid mutual funds that have management fees.  Those managers are worthless, and the fees they charge hurt the performance of those funds.  Buy an index fund like SPY and forget about it.  Don't make changes.

As far as bonds being "safer" than stocks, bonds are safer in the short term, but in the long term, they are not safe at all, because of inflation and the fact that over the long term, stocks will beat bonds by a huge margin.  Businesses borrow money by issuing bonds, and if those businesses couldn't use that borrowed money to make more money than the interest they are paying on those bonds, our economy would completely collapse.  That's why stocks do better than bonds over the long haul.

Yes this is basically what I was alluding to, and I agree mostly with this sentiment.  Since MAL is focused mostly on 401k, I doubt he has the ability to buy something like SPY, he's probably limited to a bunch of mutual funds.

Either way, Marty's sentiment of short term vs. long term is correct.  There's an old saying that says "time in the market is more important than timing the market" and that's proven to be true consistently over time.  You're young, so I wouldn't worry too much about it since those funds will be in the market presumably another 30 years.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

More haircuts today. Vote Biden 2024
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Fed injection, daily SPY c keep on printing

I wonder how well that Carnival Cruise Lines stock is doing today?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

So how are bitcoin and Carnival Cruise lines doing today?  This inflation rate is actually worse than the Jimmy Carter days.  Remember that when you look at your 401k balance.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-10-2022, 01:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So how are bitcoin and Carnival Cruise lines doing today?  This inflation rate is actually worse than the Jimmy Carter days.  Remember that when you look at your 401k balance.

Biden has us just about back to where we were at the bottom two years ago. Time to buy again.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-10-2022, 04:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Biden has us just about back to where we were at the bottom two years ago. Time to buy again.

I wish it was the bottom.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(06-10-2022, 04:07 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 01:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So how are bitcoin and Carnival Cruise lines doing today?  This inflation rate is actually worse than the Jimmy Carter days.  Remember that when you look at your 401k balance.

Biden has us just about back to where we were at the bottom two years ago. Time to buy again.

More red waterfalls incoming

I acknowledge that I preach against market timing, but if you believe in market timing at all, then bear markets are prime time for buying stocks.

Liberals don't care if you're broke and can't afford basic life necessities. Being inclusive is so much more important.

(06-14-2022, 12:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Liberals don't care if you're broke and can't afford basic life necessities. Being inclusive is so much more important.

Not so much inclusive as dependent on government.  Nowadays, the inclusive argument is a political lever. Race, gender, sexual preference, blah, blah, blah is an idealized cudgel. 
‘Do you think tampon machines in a men’s room is senseless? Just as we thought, you close-minded fascist. Now step aside for “progress”.’

We are officially in a bear market.  I feel that I played it "well" by taking cash before the big crash that we have seen.  What few positions that I left in the market are in the red, but now is a good time to buy some more.  I'm staying patient and waiting before I pull the trigger.

(06-14-2022, 01:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 12:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Liberals don't care if you're broke and can't afford basic life necessities. Being inclusive is so much more important.

Not so much inclusive as dependent on government.  Nowadays, the inclusive argument is a political lever. Race, gender, sexual preference, blah, blah, blah is an idealized cudgel. 
‘Do you think tampon machines in a men’s room is senseless? Just as we thought, you close-minded fascist. Now step aside for “progress”.’

Yep.

(06-14-2022, 03:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: We are officially in a bear market.  I feel that I played it "well" by taking cash before the big crash that we have seen.  What few positions that I left in the market are in the red, but now is a good time to buy some more.  I'm staying patient and waiting before I pull the trigger.
You may be waiting a while. I've moved what I can but who knows where the bottom is.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

9.1% inflation number today.  I wonder how well Carnival Cruise Line stock is doing right now?

(07-13-2022, 04:09 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: 9.1% inflation number today.  I wonder how well Carnival Cruise Line stock is doing right now?

My ~200% return has been absolutely dreadful.   Hope you are doing well!

(01-07-2024, 07:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 04:09 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: 9.1% inflation number today.  I wonder how well Carnival Cruise Line stock is doing right now?

My ~200% return has been absolutely dreadful.   Hope you are doing well!

MIne too, bought in at $8 in OCtober '22, got out at $18 and some change back in June. Haven't gone back to them, might have to consider it in the new year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-08-2024, 10:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 07:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: My ~200% return has been absolutely dreadful.   Hope you are doing well!

MIne too, bought in at $8 in OCtober '22, got out at $18 and some change back in June. Haven't gone back to them, might have to consider it in the new year.

Yep ..... I jumped on CCL, NCLH, and RCL as well, while also deciding to triple leverage NASDAQ by jumping on TQQQ.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024, 05:02 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-08-2024, 03:48 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 10:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: MIne too, bought in at $8 in OCtober '22, got out at $18 and some change back in June. Haven't gone back to them, might have to consider it in the new year.

Yep ..... I jumped on CCL, NCLH, and RCL as well, while also deciding to triple leverage NASDAQ by jumping on TQQQ.

(01-08-2024, 03:13 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 03:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Breaking News:  Bill Clinton and Donald Trump cheated on their wife (wives).  NO Way !!

Stay tuned tomorrow for breaking news about Matthew Perry's hidden drug addiction.

Leave it to you to downplay pedophilia..

Why?

Don't forget about this question..

Come back to the other thread.. I'm sure others are curious as well.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

My best performer for last year is coinbase, up ~$100/share ... wish I bought more than I did

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk