Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

(01-29-2021, 04:22 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 04:13 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Now we know who deep [BLEEP] value is lol

I wish!

Turns out this guy is...

https://youtu.be/bmwx78rF1xo

A $50M goofball. God bless the USA.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good news everyone! Elizabeth Warren decided that the SEC must investigate the perpetrators of this madness....the Redditors. Because, "there's probably wealthy people on both sides."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-29-2021, 04:22 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 04:13 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Now we know who deep [BLEEP] value is lol

I wish!

She made so much off of GME and BB that she's now going by Bchmunnie4

(01-29-2021, 06:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 04:22 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I wish!

She made so much off of GME and BB that she's now going by Bchmunnie4

Banana
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-29-2021, 05:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Good news everyone! Elizabeth Warren decided that the SEC must investigate the perpetrators of this madness....the Redditors. Because, "there's probably wealthy people on both sides."

She had some in the first half ngl.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2021, 09:45 PM by mal234.)

Robinhood now has a list of 50 stocks that they are limiting purchases on it. 

Changes due to ongoing market volatility | Robinhood

At least a couple of stocks I own including Novavax are on this list. I definitely don't like this. And I really dislike that they have biotech stocks on this list like Novavax and Moderna. Both of these stocks are performing well because of legitimate success the company is having and there are people like me that believed in these stocks and have been holding them for a while. Robinhood says that people can now purchase only one share of them each of these biotech stocks. 

I wonder if they are worried people will start flooding these stocks already adding to their very high prices. Novavax did go over $200 per share today. The share price has currently increased by like $86 on the day and is currently $222. It went as high as $228 today. Moderna has been priced high for a while now and is currently sitting at $173 per share. I believe that both stocks including novavax's big increase today is largely and mostly driven by positive news about the companies' vaccines. 

Not because people are trying to pull another gamestop situation. Though, I did see some people who have shares of Novavax say they are taking some of the profits they made and will be contributing to the gamestop "cause". I will be doing no such thing lol and will continue to hold for the time being. (And even if I did sell I wouldn't contribute anything to the stuff that is going on with Gamestop right now.) I believe that the stock price will continue to go up and the target has been moved for it. 

Inovio stocks is also on this list though the price of this stock is only a little over $12. I have a few shares of this as well. 

Robinhood shouldn't have these biotech stocks on their list or even have a list like this period IMO.

(01-29-2021, 09:42 PM)mal234 Wrote: Robinhood now has a list of 50 stocks that they are limiting purchases on it. 

At least a couple of stocks I own including Novavax are on this list. I definitely don't like this. And I really dislike that they have biotech stocks on this list like Novavax and Moderna. Both of these stocks are performing well because of legitimate success the company is having and there are people like me that believed in these stocks and have been holding them for a while. Robinhood says that people can now purchase only one share of them each of these biotech stocks. 

I wonder if they are worried people will start flooding these stocks already adding to their very high prices. Novavax did go over $200 per share today. The share price has currently increased by like $86 on the day and is currently $222. It went as high as $228 today. Moderna has been priced high for a while now and is currently sitting at $173 per share. I believe that both stocks including novavax's big increase today is largely and mostly driven by positive news about the companies' vaccines. 

Not because people are trying to pull another gamestop situation. Though, I did see some people who have shares of Novavax say they are taking some of the profits they made and will be contributing to the gamestop "cause". I will be doing no such thing lol and will continue to hold for the time being. (And even if I did sell I wouldn't contribute anything to the stuff that is going on with Gamestop right now.) I believe that the stock price will continue to go up and the target has been moved for it. 

Inovio stocks is also on this list though the price of this stock is only a little over $12. I have a few shares of this as well. 

Robinhood shouldn't have these biotech stocks on their list or even have a list like this period IMO.

A retired hedge fund manager on the radio today said RH is doing this to stay in compliance with Dodd Frank. By law they must be able to cover their capitol obligations. If they can’t then they must block trades until they can secure the capitalization. Since they’re a small brokerage, they’re jumping through hoops right now.

It’s more complicated than I’m able to translate, but that’s the gist of it.

(01-29-2021, 10:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 09:42 PM)mal234 Wrote: Robinhood now has a list of 50 stocks that they are limiting purchases on it. 

A retired hedge fund manager on the radio today said RH is doing this to stay in compliance with Dodd Frank. By law they must be able to cover their capitol obligations. If they can’t then they must block trades until they can secure the capitalization. Since they’re a small brokerage, they’re jumping through hoops right now.

Blocking trades only on shorted stocks? Sounds like that guy on the radio is part of the Wall Street swamp. Not buying it.

(01-29-2021, 10:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 10:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A retired hedge fund manager on the radio today said RH is doing this to stay in compliance with Dodd Frank. By law they must be able to cover their capitol obligations. If they can’t then they must block trades until they can secure the capitalization. Since they’re a small brokerage, they’re jumping through hoops right now.

Blocking trades only on shorted stocks? Sounds like that guy on the radio is part of the Wall Street swamp. Not buying it.

Yeah, call me dubious too!

(01-29-2021, 10:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

There's a reason why RH quickly went and raised $1B overnight.  They couldn't cover their positions due to the volume.

Here's an idea.  If you want to trade stocks why not use a real broker rather than an "app" inspired by "Occupy Wall Street"?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It might be inspired by it, but the reality is nothing is free. Wouldn't surprise me if that app sold all it's user's info to wall street.

(01-30-2021, 07:16 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It might be inspired by it, but the reality is nothing is free. Wouldn't surprise me if that app sold all it's user's info to wall street.

^^what he said^^

(01-30-2021, 07:16 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It might be inspired by it, but the reality is nothing is free. Wouldn't surprise me if that app sold all it's user's info to wall street.

It's a fact!

If you get something for free, you're the product.
s
;

;

So, here's what I see in the near future, if not already. Somebody goes on social media and says,

"The hedge funds are shorting this stock! Power to the people! Down with the hedge funds! Let's all buy this stock, push it up, and burn the hedge funds!"

But they are already holding the stock. And and as soon as it gets bid up, they sell for a nice profit, and all those little would-be Wall Street warriors for social justice wind up holding the bag when the stock inevitably collapses.

The ol' pump-and-dump.

(01-31-2021, 01:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, here's what I see in the near future, if not already.  Somebody goes on social media and says,

"The hedge funds are shorting this stock!  Power to the people!  Down with the hedge funds!  Let's all buy this stock, push it up, and burn the hedge funds!"  

But they are already holding the stock.  And and as soon as it gets bid up, they sell for a nice profit, and all those little would-be Wall Street warriors for social justice wind up holding the bag when the stock inevitably collapses.  

The ol' pump-and-dump.

Marty always pulling for the little guy. That's why everyone loves you.

(01-31-2021, 01:35 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 01:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, here's what I see in the near future, if not already.  Somebody goes on social media and says,

"The hedge funds are shorting this stock!  Power to the people!  Down with the hedge funds!  Let's all buy this stock, push it up, and burn the hedge funds!"  

But they are already holding the stock.  And and as soon as it gets bid up, they sell for a nice profit, and all those little would-be Wall Street warriors for social justice wind up holding the bag when the stock inevitably collapses.  

The ol' pump-and-dump.

Marty always pulling for the little guy. That's why everyone loves you.

I am a capitalist.  I believe in capitalism.  And I know that when the "little guy" takes on "the big guy" as in the case of Gamestop, the little guy will be annihilated.  As he/she should.  The sooner the better, as a lesson to all the other little guys who think they can take on the big guys.

(01-31-2021, 03:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 01:35 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Marty always pulling for the little guy. That's why everyone loves you.

I am a capitalist.  I believe in capitalism.  And I know that when the "little guy" takes on "the big guy" as in the case of Gamestop, the little guy will be annihilated.  As he/she should.  The sooner the better, as a lesson to all the other little guys who think they can take on the big guys.

I don't think this will end the way you see it. The way hedge funds short stocks has changed forever. The battle is just beginning.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 03:32 PM by The Real Marty.)

(01-31-2021, 03:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I am a capitalist.  I believe in capitalism.  And I know that when the "little guy" takes on "the big guy" as in the case of Gamestop, the little guy will be annihilated.  As he/she should.  The sooner the better, as a lesson to all the other little guys who think they can take on the big guys.

I don't think this will end the way you see it. The way hedge funds short stocks has changed forever. The battle is just beginning.

No, it hasn't changed one bit.  All that's happened is that, by bidding up the price of the stock, the Redditors have given the hedge funds an even juicier target.  I guarantee you they have just re-shorted it at a higher price, and when the now-inflated price collapses, as it inevitably will, the hedge funds will make even more money, and the Redditors, at least the ones who haven't sold already, will lose their shirt.

What will probably happen is that some hedge fund will go short for enough shares of Gamestop to cause the price to drop drastically and induce panic selling as all the little guys holding Gamestop try to get out at the same time.  

And then AOC and Liz Warren will call for hearings and regulations and higher taxes and whatever else they can think of, in an effort to "protect the little guy from those big bad Wall Street wolves."  When it was the little guy who got himself into the situation in the first place.  

If you guys who like to buy and sell stocks want to make some money, you should short that stock now.  Because as some point, probably soon, the price of that stock will reflect the value of that company.

(01-31-2021, 03:22 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I don't think this will end the way you see it. The way hedge funds short stocks has changed forever. The battle is just beginning.

No, it hasn't changed one bit.  All that's happened is that, by bidding up the price of the stock, the Redditors have given the hedge funds an even juicier target.  I guarantee you they have just re-shorted it at a higher price, and when the now-inflated price collapses, as it inevitably will, the hedge funds will make even more money, and the Redditors, at least the ones who haven't sold already, will lose their shirt.

What will probably happen is that some hedge fund will go short for enough shares of Gamestop to cause the price to drop drastically and induce panic selling as all the little guys holding Gamestop try to get out at the same time.  

And then AOC and Liz Warren will call for hearings and regulations and higher taxes and whatever else they can think of, in an effort to "protect the little guy from those big bad Wall Street wolves."  When it was the little guy who got himself into the situation in the first place.  

If you guys who like to buy and sell stocks want to make some money, you should short that stock now.  Because as some point, probably soon, the price of that stock will reflect the value of that company.

This is a subject that you and I agree on totally.  From what I have seen on Reddit this group wants to "buy and hold" because they think the price is going to continue to go up.  The fundamentals of the company don't really matter.

I have never shorted a stock because I don't have the knowledge or experience doing so.  However, this is awful tempting.  With that being said when I step back and really think about it, it would pretty much be "gambling" on my part since shorting stocks is not a part of my investment strategy.  I'll instead continue to build on what I do own and add the dividends paid out quarterly to my growing nest egg.

I have said it before and I'll say it again.  Chasing a stock looking for "the big payday" is a fool's game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.