Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban's Interesting Statement - O Line pretty good

I don’t think we should have fired McCardell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It amazes me how many of you constantly live life being so miserable all the time about everything.

Now that we are well into training camp and coming up to the 2nd preseason game, have any of your opinions on the O line changed from when UM made his statement about the OL not being a blow it up situation?

Did the team do enough to bolster the OL?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-21-2021, 08:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Now that we are well into training camp and coming up to the 2nd preseason game, have any of your opinions on the O line changed from when UM made his statement about the OL not being a blow it up situation?

I haven't seen enough of the first string offensive line to have an opinion.

(08-21-2021, 08:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Now that we are well into training camp and coming up to the 2nd preseason game, have any of your opinions on the O line changed from when UM made his statement about the OL not being a blow it up situation?

They sure look like they're still an inconsistent middle of the pack overall group to me.

(08-21-2021, 08:57 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:

They sure look like they're still an inconsistent middle of the pack overall group to me.

If our bottom dwelling 1-15 team has an inconsistent, middle of the pack offensive line, maybe Urb was right, that we could focus on other areas first.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 09:04 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I am still of the same opinion. Our starting OT's both suck! Until they show me otherwise, this won't change.

(08-21-2021, 09:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 08:57 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: They sure look like they're still an inconsistent middle of the pack overall group to me.

If our bottom dwelling 1-15 team has an inconsistent, middle of the pack offensive line, maybe Urb was right, that we could focus on other areas first.

Not if you wanna protect your "once in a generation" QB. That should take priority over anything.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 09:20 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

(08-21-2021, 09:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I am still of the same opinion. Our starting OT's both suck! Until they show me otherwise, this won't change.

(08-21-2021, 09:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If our bottom dwelling 1-15 team has an inconsistent, middle of the pack offensive line, maybe Urb was right, that we could focus on other areas first.

Not if you wanna protect your "once in a generation" QB. That should take priority over anything.

That goes back to a conversation we had a couple of months ago.  For sure, the offensive line is the main way to protect a QB.  But if you trail by double digits in every game, the world's best offensive line will be unable to protect their QB, because the opposing defense will know he has to drop back to pass on every play.  So you can also protect your QB by getting a better defense, keeping the score in check, and not forcing him to pass on every play because your defense can't stop the other team from scoring at will.  

I'm just saying, upgrading your offensive line from average to good might not have as much impact on QB protection as upgrading your defense from lousy to average.

I am getting the vibe that the OL will run block competently but our pass pro as always will be suspect. Need improvement at both tackle positions. Trevor better stock up on the Tylenol this year!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-21-2021, 09:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 09:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I am still of the same opinion. Our starting OT's both suck! Until they show me otherwise, this won't change.

That goes back to a conversation we had a couple of months ago.  For sure, the offensive line is the main way to protect a QB.  But if you trail by double digits in every game, the world's best offensive line will be unable to protect their QB, because the opposing defense will know he has to drop back to pass on every play.  So you can also protect your QB by getting a better defense, keeping the score in check, and not forcing him to pass on every play because your defense can't stop the other team from scoring at will.  

I'm just saying, upgrading your offensive line from average to good might not have as much impact on QB protection as upgrading your defense from lousy to average.

Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Should have double dipped at OT this year. I would feel ten times better with Cosmi and Little instead of Etienne and Little.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 11:49 AM by Flagler Jagsfan. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-21-2021, 08:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Did the team do enough to bolster the OL?

No. I believe it was a little bit of wishful thinking on Urb's part, maybe a little bit of overconfidence, and maybe a little bit of misleading on Warhop's part, in convincing Urb that he has control of it.

What has changed from last year? Without installing Little, everything's the same. Same protection breakdowns that sent Minshew running for his life, or less-athletic QB's mangled under a pile of defensive lineman. It has not been upgraded. Since the starting personnel hasn't changed officially, we are relying on the Oline to be more "coached up". I don't think Warhop is some sort of guru with that capability. I was listening to 1010xl yesterday and a caller had tabulated all the W/L ratio of the teams that Warhop had coached for and it was twice as many losses as wins. Which made him a perfect fit for the previous regime.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 11:48 AM by SeldomRite.)

(08-21-2021, 09:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 08:57 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: They sure look like they're still an inconsistent middle of the pack overall group to me.

If the team can function with them to the extent Lawrence isn't injured, then I agree. I expect a lot of handoffs and quick throws out to Shenault this season.

(08-21-2021, 11:47 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 09:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If our bottom dwelling 1-15 team has an inconsistent, middle of the pack offensive line, maybe Urb was right, that we could focus on other areas first.

If the team can function with them to the extent Lawrence isn't injured, then I agree. I expect a lot of handoffs and quick throws out to Shenault this season.

If we can maintain a balanced offense, not play from behind all the time, and run the ball effectively, that will go a long way towards protecting our QB.  But that requires the effort of all three phases- offense, defense, and special teams.  

You can put an offensive line of nothing but Hall of Famers out there, but if the rest of your team sucks, your QB will still get hammered.

One way to counteract an aggressive D-line is to hit the RB on a quick screen. Hopefully we are working on this play.

(08-21-2021, 12:19 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You can put an offensive line of nothing but Hall of Famers out there, but if the rest of your team sucks, your QB will still get hammered.

You don't even need 5 stars on the oline, it's been proven that 5 solid average starters is perfectly good if you have a true franchise QB. What you really don't want is even one extremely weak link. That's drags down an offensive line more than anything.

5 average starters > 4 pro bowlers and 1 really bad starter. And unfortunately we have two really bad starters.

(08-21-2021, 02:00 PM)Upper Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 12:19 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You can put an offensive line of nothing but Hall of Famers out there, but if the rest of your team sucks, your QB will still get hammered.

You don't even need 5 stars on the oline, it's been proven that 5 solid average starters is perfectly good if you have a true franchise QB. What you really don't want is even one extremely weak link. That's drags down an offensive line more than anything.

5 average starters > 4 pro bowlers and 1 really bad starter. And unfortunately we have two really bad starters.

That includes WR's. one of them at least needs to get some separation or all the pro bowl linemen you can get will fail.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-21-2021, 02:20 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 02:00 PM)Upper Wrote: You don't even need 5 stars on the oline, it's been proven that 5 solid average starters is perfectly good if you have a true franchise QB. What you really don't want is even one extremely weak link. That's drags down an offensive line more than anything.

That includes WR's. one of them at least needs to get some separation or all the pro bowl linemen you can get will fail.

I mean, you don't want an extremely weak starter at WR but it's not a position that can really be aggressively exploited if you do. DB is the other position it can be said about (and nowadays LB to a lesser extent). You need to have 5 average starting DBs or the defense will laser in on that weak link. Look at the Packers: Jaire, Savage, and Amos are as good of a top 3 as any DB corps in the league, but teams still picked on King relentlessly.

Yesterday I heard Leon Searcy say that Taylor is not even close to being an adequate tackle in the NFL due to his poor pass protection. Searcy's comments indicate that Urban would be smart to begin playing Little at right tackle to compete with Taylor. If Taylor shows no improvement at tackle, they could try him at guard to see if he is better playing inside. No doubt Little will have growing pains, however he's probably already better than Taylor with more more upside. If Robinson doesn't improve this season, Hopefully Little could move to left tackle next season and they must draft another tackle.

(08-21-2021, 02:00 PM)Upper Wrote:
(08-21-2021, 12:19 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You can put an offensive line of nothing but Hall of Famers out there, but if the rest of your team sucks, your QB will still get hammered.

Totally agree. We have 2 average OG's, a good Center who can't stay healthy for a 16 game season and two terrible OT's.