Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban's Interesting Statement - O Line pretty good

(02-13-2021, 05:58 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Urban Meyer was interviewed after the TL workout, and one of the things that stood out to me was a statement by him indicating  our OL was "pretty good and not a blow it up type situation."

Now for those of us who see the OL being of paramount concern, it's something of a troubling statement.

To me there are three possibilities.

1.  It's the first instance of pre draft smoke from Meyer.    If so...good job Urban.  You're learning to play the game.

2.  He was honest.  If that's the case, it still may not be as bad as it might seem.  It could mean that while it's not a "blow it up situation," it may be a case of adding another player to the miz, which could allow for a Trent Williams or a Brown to upgrade LT.  If this is the case, then I think the prospects of upgrading the OL are still in good shape.

3.  It COULD mean he won't address OL in any significant way, and the team's offseason attention will be focused on other areas of the team.  To me, that's a worst case scenario, because Trevor Lawrence needs a better level of protection than this OL has proven able to provide.

Thoughts?

I took it to mean that the O-Line as a whole, is not that bad, which it isn't. I have no problem with the interior. Norwell played very well last season. He was our best O-Lineman, Linder played very well when healthy and Shatley filled in nicely when he was out. Cann made big strides last season and Bartch took some lumps last year, but he improved as the season progressed and he got more reps. Will Richardson is getting better at Swing Tackle as well. The only areas I have a major issue with is LT and RT. I don't consider that a "blow it up" situation at all. Now, the Bengals on the other hand, have a definite "blow it up" O-Line situation. They have Jonah Williams who is presumably moving to RT and a bunch of bums who need to "kick rocks." They need 4 new starting O-Linemen. We need one new starting LT and serious competition at RT. Given that we have a ton of cap space and a lot of draft picks, our O-Line situation is not that bad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by MarleyJag - 02-13-2021, 06:43 AM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by Upper - 02-13-2021, 06:45 AM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by navyjagfan - 02-13-2021, 10:00 AM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by Bullseye - 02-15-2021, 09:12 AM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by TheDuke007 - 02-15-2021, 03:30 PM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by TheO-LineMatters - 02-13-2021, 10:54 AM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by Upper - 02-13-2021, 11:01 AM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by Predator - 02-13-2021, 12:42 PM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by Predator - 02-13-2021, 06:14 PM
RE: Urban's Interesting Statement - by Bullseye - 02-15-2021, 09:20 AM