Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wilson > Lawrence

Why the obsession with the pro day? They have all the tape on these guys. 3 years of tape on Lawrence, and 1 decent year of tape on Wilson.

Lawrence is by far the best QB in the draft. To me it’s not close. Wilson is a boom or bust prospect. He could end up being Josh Allen, or end up like Johnny Manziel. All this nonsense has stemmed from Simms’ contrarian take on the QB rankings. Yes Wilson can throw deep balls, but playing QB is a lot more than just launching the ball.

Any team who was drafting at 1 would be taking Lawrence. The whole season was “tank for Trevor” across the league.

Wilson may end up being a great nfl qb, but there is a reason people were crowning Lawrence a Elway/Manning/Luck type prospect, and you just don’t pass on that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Trolls live under bridges, evidently this one who created his account March 2021 lives under Wilson...
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-27-2021, 09:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 07:25 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Shook!

Nobody would even be talking about Zac Wilson with this much fanfare if Trevor Lawrence isn't in this draft.

Just like Ryan Leaf in the Manning draft. It's creating a story out of no story.

Absolutely, not true. Wilson would most likely be a Jaguar if Lawrence wasn't in the draft. He's by far the 2nd best QB and it isn't even close. He measured in at 6'2 1/8" and 214 lbs. with 9 1/2" hands yesterday. That is plenty big enough for an NFL QB. Not to mention his arm talent is off the charts. That kid and Lawrence are both gonna be big stars as long as they keep their heads on straight.

That was even shorter than expected as he had been listed between 6-3 and 6-4.

(03-27-2021, 10:24 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 09:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely, not true. Wilson would most likely be a Jaguar if Lawrence wasn't in the draft. He's by far the 2nd best QB and it isn't even close. He measured in at 6'2 1/8" and 214 lbs. with 9 1/2" hands yesterday. That is plenty big enough for an NFL QB. Not to mention his arm talent is off the charts. That kid and Lawrence are both gonna be big stars as long as they keep their heads on straight.

Love the avatar. We eat there all the time!

(03-27-2021, 10:24 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 09:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely, not true. Wilson would most likely be a Jaguar if Lawrence wasn't in the draft. He's by far the 2nd best QB and it isn't even close. He measured in at 6'2 1/8" and 214 lbs. with 9 1/2" hands yesterday. That is plenty big enough for an NFL QB. Not to mention his arm talent is off the charts. That kid and Lawrence are both gonna be big stars as long as they keep their heads on straight.

Most people were expecting him to be 6'2". Colleges normally exaggerate height. His size is not a problem at all. 6'2" is a very common height for NFL QB's. Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, Andy Dalton, Teddy Bridgewater, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson and Jimmy Garoppolo are all 6'2". QB's like Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa, Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield are smaller than Zach Wilson. He's certainly not small for an NFL QB and the kid has unbelievable arm talent.

If watching Brady and even other guys like older Peyton/Brees/Rivers has shown, there are 6 days during the week that are not Sunday that do a lot to make a QB and team successful. Sure, "arm talent" and throwing traits make those less needed, but we are looking to fill this position for the next 10-15 years (fingers-crossed).

I''d argue that there is way more certainty about Lawrence in that category than Wilson. And that dramatically overrides any potential that MAY be unlocked after everyone watches the tape analysis way too much. As a species humans are very prone to find "patterns" that are not really there or don't matter in the long run. And sports fans/analysts probably take that to the next level.

(03-27-2021, 08:18 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: If watching Brady and even other guys like older Peyton/Brees/Rivers has shown, there are 6 days during the week that are not Sunday that do a lot to make a QB and team successful. Sure, "arm talent" and throwing traits make those less needed, but we are looking to fill this position for the next 10-15 years (fingers-crossed).

I''d argue that there is way more certainty about Lawrence in that category than Wilson. And that dramatically overrides any potential that MAY be unlocked after everyone watches the tape analysis way too much. As a species humans are very prone to find "patterns" that are not really there or don't matter in the long run. And sports fans/analysts probably take that to the next level.

Well said.

(03-08-2021, 10:00 PM)RicoTx Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3092...kes-top-10

The top three QB's on Kiper's list were all drafted by the Colts. I wonder if Kiper was listening to Bill Tobin's mailman.

(03-09-2021, 06:32 AM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: This franchise has twice drafted the “fast rising QB” and both were miserable, so yes let’s make the same mistake a third time.

Agree, Wilson has all the trappings of the kind of guy we drafted in the past: 1 year of decent film, fast rising after the season is over, was unknown prior to this year. Actually we had more evidence for Bortles and Gabbert that they were gonna suck, but both of them were late risers and not really considered the best in class, or it was questionable (Bortles). 

So glad Meyer is taking Trevor. This is the guy we need. I want Manning not Leaf. Wilson doesn’t seem like he has Leaf character, but that’s what this debate feels like.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(03-10-2021, 03:01 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: I hope Lawrence is everything you guys say he’s gonna be. If he turns out to be Blain Gabbert 2.0 and Wilson turns out to be a super star I hope you remember what I said. Simms has a pretty good track record of picking players and got laughed at when he took Lamar/Allen over Baker/Darnold. Let’s hope he’s wrong but from what I’ve seen he’s 100% on the money.

I am not sure Lavar is better than Baker. Allen looked a lot better this year, but is still a choker in playoffs. Either way, I don’t see that as a great call. Darnold is looking like a bust, but it’s hard to tell how much of that is him vs the Jets.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2021, 02:17 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(03-27-2021, 12:15 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 09:13 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: Meyer wasn’t even in the building to watch Wilson throw.. what arrogance ffs.. This kid is special with an NFL release.. I can’t believe we wouldn’t at least do our homework. I’m not liking this at all. I hope I’m wrong but to go so hard all in on Lawrence and not even consider another option is just pure arrogance. I hope we are right on this one because Wilson looks like Aaron Rodgers 2.0

I said it many times before and I'll keep saying it. Trevor Lawrence is the safer pick, but Zach Wilson has a higher upside. I think they are both gonna be big NFL stars. I also think Mac Jones is gonna be a pretty good starting NFL QB for a long time as well. Maybe like a Phillip Rivers type.

(03-26-2021, 10:20 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: Not this again

Wilson . . . undersized and too small.  too slow.  Bad 40 yard dash (4.84), injury prone.

Who cares what a QB runs?

Mac Jones actually reminds me the most of Jags type pick in the past. He would be a big time reach at #3 and when was the last time Bama produced a great QB? Neither Hurts nor Tua impresses, and both of them sent Mac to the bench.

(03-27-2021, 12:24 AM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 09:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Does Wilson have a crazy arm? Sure.

Does he make some amazing throws? Sure.

However, there is so much more to being an NFL QB than just making a few crazy throws each game. What about the other 30 throws a game? Or the ability to read a defense? Or processing plays quickly? 

Lawrence can make all the throws Wilson can make. Lawrence is able to dissect a play before it happens (Manning and Brady). Wilson is very much an improve QB.

I have no doubt that Lawrence is the right choice.

It doesn’t bother you that they didn’t even take a look to be 100% sure? It’s not like Lawrence is John Elway/Andrew Luck coming out.. if you love Lawrence I respect it because he’s a heck of a football qb and a good kid BUT the balls to not even take a look at the second best prospect is absurd in my opinion.

(03-27-2021, 12:18 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: The OC was in attendance.
Ya that’s it.... what’s that about? Send a journeyman OC as our representation when we are allowed 3 personnel?? Urban not attending bothers me. It’s not like Wilson is vastly less of a prospect Lawrence is.

Actually, it is.

(03-27-2021, 12:18 AM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: [quote pid='1368491' dateline='1616818502']
Cool, I get that but how do we only send our OC down? [BLEEP] is that? It’s not like we had a chance to see him live a bunch of times this year. Nobody saw him live this year... I think to not even take the trip up to see the kid throw live and talk to him in person is just bad business. 

[/quote]
What do you believe we would see in an underwear drill that wouldn't have shown up on game tape?
If you expect Urbz to be present for every evaluation, interview, drill, uniform release, etc., his esophagitis is going to flare up a whole lot sooner than expected.
Delegation will avoid burnout. I can speak from experience on that one.

Vic Ketchman has no confidence Lawrence is the man for Jacksonville. He’s either seeing something no one else sees, or he’s letting his anti-Jacksonville bias (he does) get the better of him.

Aiden from Jacksonville, FL
With the No. 1 pick, who would GM Vic pick?
I'd call Carolina and ask them what Trevor Lawrence is worth to them. I think I might be able to get four ones. Then I'd maneuver into position to draft hometown guy Mac Jones.

(03-29-2021, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic Ketchman has no confidence Lawrence is the man for Jacksonville. He’s either seeing something no one else sees, or he’s letting his anti-Jacksonville bias (he does) get the better of him.

I'd call Carolina and ask them what Trevor Lawrence is worth to them. I think I might be able to get four ones. Then I'd maneuver into position to draft hometown guy Mac Jones.
Vic is an idiot.

Mac Jones is now going #3 so there goes that plan. Vic is just like a lot of people in that they don’t want to see Lawrence in Jacksonville. Not sure why but they don’t.

(03-29-2021, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic Ketchman has no confidence Lawrence is the man for Jacksonville. He’s either seeing something no one else sees, or he’s letting his anti-Jacksonville bias (he does) get the better of him.

Vic is an idiot.

Mac Jones is now going #3 so there goes that plan. Vic is just like a lot of people in that they don’t want to see Lawrence in Jacksonville. Not sure why but they don’t.

He has a low-grade disdain for Jacksonville. It's not difficult to recognize in his write ups. I don't know if it's against the team, the city, or both. This is about the third Trevor Lawrence trade scenario he's dreamed up and attempted to disguise as football wisdom.

Lawrence is the guy.. I just can’t believe they wouldn’t even take a look at the 2nd/3rd guy on the list... it would be interesting if Meyer goes to see Fields and didn’t go to Wilson... could be a big hint to the rest of the NFL who SF is taking at 3

Mr "chad henne all pro" Ketchman?   This reminds me of the who9le Manning vs Ryan Leaf.  Late before that draft people started calling for Leaf to go #1.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Well, I believe our new coach is sending a sign. Does anyone think he doesn't know Justin Fields? Attending his pro day would have been redundant.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Meh... It doesn't really matter.  A college quarterback is a college quarterback.  Might one of the top prospects turn out to be great?  That remains to be seen.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2021, 06:39 PM by leopold332002.)

(03-29-2021, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Vic is an idiot.

To answer your question the reason why the national meal don't want to see Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville is twofold. For one, that means they will have to actually cover a franchise that they don't respect and leads to two they want the city to fail because they feel like we don't deserve an NFL team. The national media look at our city as a Double AA city with a racist reputation which allows them to openly disrespect and treat our franchise with a second class mentality. 

The cliche I want to give you about how the national media views this city is like We are the poor kid that got accepted into a private school and the rich kids and teachers treats us like an outcast because of it. Bottom line is they don't want this team to succeed and if we was to lose the franchise to another city it would be one of the happiest days of the national media careers because of their disdain for our city.
[Image: giphy.gif]