Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wilson > Lawrence

(03-29-2021, 06:31 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 12:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Vic is an idiot.

Mac Jones is now going #3 so there goes that plan. Vic is just like a lot of people in that they don’t want to see Lawrence in Jacksonville. Not sure why but they don’t.

To answer your question the reason why the national meal don't want to see Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville is twofold. For one, that means they will have to actually cover a franchise that they don't respect and leads to two they want the city to fail because they I feel like we don't deserve an NFL team. The national media look at our city as Double AA city with a racist reputation. We are the poor kids that got accepted into a rich School and the rich kids she does like an outcast because of it. Bottom line is they don't want this team to succeed and if we was to lose it it would be one of the happiest days of the national media careers because of their disdain for our city

Cool story bro.

I remember when Vic was so liked around here.  Now because his opinion doesn't match what people want to hear he's "an idiot".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-29-2021, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic Ketchman has no confidence Lawrence is the man for Jacksonville. He’s either seeing something no one else sees, or he’s letting his anti-Jacksonville bias (he does) get the better of him.

Aiden from Jacksonville, FL
With the No. 1 pick, who would GM Vic pick?
I'd call Carolina and ask them what Trevor Lawrence is worth to them. I think I might be able to get four ones. Then I'd maneuver into position to draft hometown guy Mac Jones.

I got to ask everyone on your serious question and that is why do we take Vic ketchman opinions seriously when this was the same guy that advocated for Gene Smith to be the next general manager and thought he was going to be great at it. Vic ketchman is a clown who has an NFL mindset that's clearly outdated so there's nothing that he can say to us as a fan base that we should take his word as gospel.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(03-29-2021, 06:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 06:31 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: To answer your question the reason why the national meal don't want to see Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville is twofold. For one, that means they will have to actually cover a franchise that they don't respect and leads to two they want the city to fail because they I feel like we don't deserve an NFL team. The national media look at our city as Double AA city with a racist reputation. We are the poor kids that got accepted into a rich School and the rich kids she does like an outcast because of it. Bottom line is they don't want this team to succeed and if we was to lose it it would be one of the happiest days of the national media careers because of their disdain for our city

Cool story bro.

I remember when Vic was so liked around here.  Now because his opinion doesn't match what people want to hear he's "an idiot".
If someone thinks the Jags should trade down and draft Mac Jones, they’re an idiot.

“The Cavs have the #1 pick. What they should do is trade down and draft Darko Milicic instead of drafting Lebron.”

I’m thinking the OP is trolling. A fan of another team, whatever. Between the post talking about a handgun and being a lifelong fan that happen to join prior to this year’s draft...

Y’all have at it.

(03-29-2021, 08:14 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m thinking the OP is trolling.  A fan of another team, whatever.  Between the post talking about a handgun and being a lifelong fan that happen to join prior to this year’s draft...

Y’all have at it.

if I were the Jets, it would make sense to make a media, internet blitz to try to convince the Jags not to pick Trevor. Would be worth a shot.

(03-29-2021, 06:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 11:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic Ketchman has no confidence Lawrence is the man for Jacksonville. He’s either seeing something no one else sees, or he’s letting his anti-Jacksonville bias (he does) get the better of him.

I'd call Carolina and ask them what Trevor Lawrence is worth to them. I think I might be able to get four ones. Then I'd maneuver into position to draft hometown guy Mac Jones.

I got to ask everyone on your serious question and that is why do we take Vic ketchman opinions seriously when this was the same guy that advocated for Gene Smith to be the next general manager and thought he was going to be great at it. Vic ketchman is a clown who has an NFL mindset that's clearly outdated so there's nothing that he can say to us as a fan base that we should take his word as gospel.

Vic was a company man then. However, he's been around football for a long time and does have some true insight (and some access, still) to the game and the people who make it work. Everything he says is certainly not correct, but he's earned the chops to be taken somewhat seriously. 

However, his insistence on Jacksonville trading Lawrence away is not based on football knowledge, IMO. I think he has a real disdain for this team and or town. I don't know why, but it's clearly discernable in his answers. I guess it comes down to my curiosity for why he's willing to make to such an obviously errant call to express his displeasure with Jacksonville.

I don't think Vic is anti-Jacksonville at all. I think he's of the opinion that there isn't that much difference between Lawrence and Mac Jones and four #1 picks would more than cover the gap.
Myself, living in Alabama and seeing Jones all season, it would not surprise me in the slightest if he turns out to be the best QB from this draft. He's accurate. poised and just looks really polished. I think assuming Vic is trying to sandbag the franchise by suggesting TLaw isn't worth passing on a king's ransom and getting a presumably close in quality QB is a wee bit extreme. Reading his blog the last season, I'd say he leans toward being a Jags fan more often than not.

(03-31-2021, 08:01 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: I don't think Vic is anti-Jacksonville at all. I think he's of the opinion that there isn't that much difference between Lawrence and Mac Jones and four #1 picks would more than cover the gap.
Myself, living in Alabama and seeing Jones all season, it would not surprise me in the slightest if he turns out to be the best QB from this draft. He's accurate. poised and just looks really polished. I think assuming Vic is trying to sandbag the franchise by suggesting TLaw isn't worth passing on a king's ransom and getting a presumably close in quality QB is a wee bit extreme. Reading his blog the last season, I'd say he leans toward being a Jags fan more often than not.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. One thing is for sure, he lives in Aaron Rodger's jock strap.

(03-31-2021, 07:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 06:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: I got to ask everyone on your serious question and that is why do we take Vic ketchman opinions seriously when this was the same guy that advocated for Gene Smith to be the next general manager and thought he was going to be great at it. Vic ketchman is a clown who has an NFL mindset that's clearly outdated so there's nothing that he can say to us as a fan base that we should take his word as gospel.

Vic was a company man then. However, he's been around football for a long time and does have some true insight (and some access, still) to the game and the people who make it work. Everything he says is certainly not correct, but he's earned the chops to be taken somewhat seriously. 

However, his insistence on Jacksonville trading Lawrence away is not based on football knowledge, IMO. I think he has a real disdain for this team and or town. I don't know why, but it's clearly discernable in his answers. I guess it comes down to my curiosity for why he's willing to make to such an obviously errant call to express his displeasure with Jacksonville.

I don't think it's disdain for the team or town. I think he is very critical of the fanbase. Look at his other two career stops. Also small markets, but historically known for supporting their teams, win or lose. Vic has spent 25 years listening to Jags fans collectively whining about whatever the gripe of the season may be. He had to field all the calls for the team to take Tebow not because he was so talented, but because he was the hometown hero. (Sound familiar with his take on Mac?) I think our fanbase's thin skin has also been a favorite of his to agitate. More than anything, I think he has not been a fan of Khan and his leadership of the team. A lot of the window dressing will make the front page of the paper when it is unveiled, but until you make the franchise a winner, the team will struggle to keep its footing in this small market. I haven't been able to gauge his outlook on Urbz yet, but he definitely hasn't gone out of his way to praise the hire.

I don't agree with his sentiment, but it also gets you thinking - if your evaluation says that the ceiling for Tlaw, Wilson, and/or Fields are the same, would you rather have one of those guys, or one of those guys and two or three more first rounders? At some point, though, having a stockpile of picks is enough - pick someone, and start building.

(03-31-2021, 08:10 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 07:11 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic was a company man then. However, he's been around football for a long time and does have some true insight (and some access, still) to the game and the people who make it work. Everything he says is certainly not correct, but he's earned the chops to be taken somewhat seriously. 

I don't think it's disdain for the team or town. I think he is very critical of the fanbase. Look at his other two career stops. Also small markets, but historically known for supporting their teams, win or lose. Vic has spent 25 years listening to Jags fans collectively whining about whatever the gripe of the season may be. He had to field all the calls for the team to take Tebow not because he was so talented, but because he was the hometown hero. (Sound familiar with his take on Mac?) I think our fanbase's thin skin has also been a favorite of his to agitate. More than anything, I think he has not been a fan of Khan and his leadership of the team. A lot of the window dressing will make the front page of the paper when it is unveiled, but until you make the franchise a winner, the team will struggle to keep its footing in this small market. I haven't been able to gauge his outlook on Urbz yet, but he definitely hasn't gone out of his way to praise the hire.

I don't agree with his sentiment, but it also gets you thinking - if your evaluation says that the ceiling for Tlaw, Wilson, and/or Fields are the same, would you rather have one of those guys, or one of those guys and two or three more first rounders? At some point, though, having a stockpile of picks is enough - pick someone, and start building.

I can't help but believe that if Green Bay had dibs on TL, Vic would be singing his praises from on high and how he would be taking the Packers to the promised land. 

The hometown angle on Mac is a wash. Outside of his own family, is there anyone who would rather have him than TL? IMHO, Wilson is the only one who approaches TL's total package, and he's not as tried and true. 

I don't know. It's just my impression Vic would love to see Jacksonville trade away TL only for him to achieve greatness with some other team. Then Vic could criticize us for passing on the QB of the century.

(03-29-2021, 06:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 06:31 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: To answer your question the reason why the national meal don't want to see Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville is twofold. For one, that means they will have to actually cover a franchise that they don't respect and leads to two they want the city to fail because they I feel like we don't deserve an NFL team. The national media look at our city as Double AA city with a racist reputation. We are the poor kids that got accepted into a rich School and the rich kids she does like an outcast because of it. Bottom line is they don't want this team to succeed and if we was to lose it it would be one of the happiest days of the national media careers because of their disdain for our city

Cool story bro.

Yeah... until he started praising Gene Smith like a god. Every single move he made he praised. I remember even making the question column one day criticizing some of the draft picks and asking thoughts, he just continued to praise and call them jar on the shelves. ROTTEN jars... He is by far the worst GM in the history of the NFL. From the moment he started to defend Gene, it was over for me with Vic. I am positive most felt the same as me back then as well.

(03-31-2021, 08:25 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I can't help but believe that if Green Bay had dibs on TL, Vic would be singing his praises from on high and how he would be taking the Packers to the promised land. 

The hometown angle on Mac is a wash. Outside of his own family, is there anyone who would rather have him than TL? IMHO, Wilson is the only one who approaches TL's total package, and he's not as tried and true. 

I don't know. It's just my impression Vic would love to see Jacksonville trade away TL only for him to achieve greatness with some other team. Then Vic could criticize us for passing on the QB of the century.

He reminds me of the reporter in the movie The Natural.  "Whether you win or lose you'll still make me a great story"
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-30-2021, 04:42 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 08:14 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m thinking the OP is trolling.  A fan of another team, whatever.  Between the post talking about a handgun and being a lifelong fan that happen to join prior to this year’s draft...

Y’all have at it.

if I were the Jets, it would make sense to make a media, internet blitz to try to convince the Jags not to pick Trevor. Would be worth a shot.

LOL 

Wow I guess burying our head so far in the TL sand makes sense.. c’mon man.. 

I don’t see how me preferring Wilson makes me a Jet fan. But maybe when they draft him and he turns out to be Aaron Rodgers and we take Lawrence because our head coach is an arrogant prick and wouldn’t even go see the #2 guy live and he turns out to be Gabbert 2.0

Anyways my point is after watching the tape it’s clear who the best QB was in the country last year was. 

Doesn’t matter anymore anyways because Meyer is taking Lawrence and hopefully he works out.

Calling Meyer arrogant because he didn't go see your love intetest is just plain dumb.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-31-2021, 04:02 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 04:42 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: if I were the Jets, it would make sense to make a media, internet blitz to try to convince the Jags not to pick Trevor. Would be worth a shot.

LOL 

I don’t see how me preferring Wilson makes me a Jet fan. But maybe when they draft him and he turns out to be Aaron Rodgers and we take Lawrence because our head coach is an arrogant prick and wouldn’t even go see the #2 guy live and he turns out to be Gabbert 2.0

Anyways my point is after watching the tape it’s clear who the best QB was in the country last year was. 

Doesn’t matter anymore anyways because Meyer is taking Lawrence and hopefully he works out.

I'm not worried. Both Lawrence and Wilson are gonna be big stars. We couldn't have gone wrong with either QB.

(03-29-2021, 06:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:

I've been on this board for almost 20 years, and I've been asking that same question for the bulk of that time.  He had a bias towards players from northern schools that bordered on obsession.  I remember him pounding the table for Beanie Wells.  I remember virtually everyone on this board HATING Beanie Wells.  I know I did.  But that was far from the only opinion of his that gave me nausea.  I hated the whole "jars on the shelf" thing he used to spout.  I always wonder when he'd push for "players on the field," but he never would.  For a while, he approached football like some guy with an actuarial chart and way too often it substituted for football analysis.  When he DID venture into football analysis, he was Pittsburgh reliant.  Granted he was a beat writer for the Steelers, but he represented himself here as an NFL analyst.  To me, he should have been able to draw examples from all over the league, but all he had were the "when I was in band camp" sorts of takes.  Considering during those days the Steelers were our biggest rivals, it got on my nerves.  He was always revered on this board as a guru, but truthfully, anyone who grew up following the NFL first could have offered similar analysis to him, if not better.  His defense of Gene Smith was the capper.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 05:18 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-31-2021, 04:24 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Calling Meyer arrogant because he didn't go see your love intetest is just plain dumb.

Especially since teams don't have the same individual workouts and personal visits, etc they had pre covid, and there are limits to the number of people who can attend the pro days.

(03-31-2021, 04:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 04:02 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: LOL 

I'm not worried. Both Lawrence and Wilson are gonna be big stars. We couldn't have gone wrong with either QB.
Both have the tools to be stars.  The issue will be how well the teams put players around them.

Regarding Vic's answer to the Trevor Lawrence question, two thoughts for now:

1. Vic didn't mention his concern ( s ) about Trevor Lawrence as pick # 1 by the Jaguars. Hopefully, he will be asked this question moving forward and that he will answer the question.

2. Vic should know as well as anyone the importance of Trevor Lawrence for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Well beyond just on the field. The risk of practically any option other than the Jaguars drafting Lawrence with pick # 1 seems too high.

(03-31-2021, 06:08 PM)D6 Wrote: Regarding Vic's answer to the Trevor Lawrence question, two thoughts for now:

1. Vic didn't mention his concern ( s ) about Trevor Lawrence as pick # 1 by the Jaguars.  Hopefully, he will be asked this question moving forward and that he will answer the question.

2.  Vic should know as well as anyone the importance of Trevor Lawrence for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  Well beyond just on the field. The risk of practically any option other than the Jaguars drafting Lawrence with pick # 1 seems too high.

It's interesting that as much as Ketchman seemed to want the Jaguars to emulate the Steelers, he doesn't want the team to benefit from having the top overall pick the way the Steelers did in selecting Bradshaw.

(03-31-2021, 06:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 06:08 PM)D6 Wrote: Regarding Vic's answer to the Trevor Lawrence question, two thoughts for now:

1. Vic didn't mention his concern ( s ) about Trevor Lawrence as pick # 1 by the Jaguars.  Hopefully, he will be asked this question moving forward and that he will answer the question.

2.  Vic should know as well as anyone the importance of Trevor Lawrence for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  Well beyond just on the field. The risk of practically any option other than the Jaguars drafting Lawrence with pick # 1 seems too high.

It's interesting that as much as Ketchman seemed to want the Jaguars to emulate the Steelers, he doesn't want the team to benefit from having the top overall pick the way the Steelers did in selecting Bradshaw.

Vic's answer to the question makes practically no sense.  Including what you mentioned regarding Terry Bradshaw, Vic's take appears like the polar opposite of how he would have answered a question like this in past years.