Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Oliver traded to the Ravens

(03-17-2021, 08:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: He was a high 3rd round pick at that, pick 69 and you flip him for chump change 2 years later? Dumb, especially when all we have is a ham sandwich and a bag of peanuts at the TE position.

We drafted a lemon. He broke down as soon as we got him off the lot.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-17-2021, 09:03 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Zach Ertz liked the tweet mentioning this trade. Interesting.

Nice

(03-17-2021, 09:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 08:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: He was a high 3rd round pick at that, pick 69 and you flip him for chump change 2 years later? Dumb, especially when all we have is a ham sandwich and a bag of peanuts at the TE position.

We drafted a lemon. He broke down as soon as we got him off the lot.

Not wrong.

Depending on what we gave up to get Malcom Brown, I guess you could look at it like it's just a player for player swap and Brown has definitely been the better player.

(03-17-2021, 07:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 07:07 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: For a conditional pick per Ian rapoport

What? He'll likely become a pro-bowler and never miss another game due to injuries.

You beat me to it.  He’ll be in the Pro Bowl in two years.

Urban Meyer traded him because he didn't like his show 'Last Week Tonight'.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 10:17 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Why are you crying?  The best ability is availability.  He hasn't shown jack squat since he has been here.   Whats the team supposed to do?  Continue having an injury prone no productive tight end eating up a roster post?

Your man "Diamond Dave" Just Trash

[Image: another-one.jpg]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-17-2021, 10:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

Why are you crying?  The best ability is availability.  He hasn't shown jack squat since he has been here.   Whats the team supposed to do?  Continue having an injury prone no productive tight end eating up a roster post?

Your man "Diamond Dave"   Just Trash

He's not 'eating up a roster spot' if he's on IR.  I don't give a [BLEEP] who drafted him.  The trade doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially given our TE situation. See what he can do in camp and cut him if he looks bad.  It's a [BLEEP] 7th.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-17-2021, 10:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

Your man "Diamond Dave"   Just Trash

Nobody is crying. It's the fact that they made the worst TE group in the league even weaker. It's just a dumb trade for the most part.

He had the highest ceiling of any TE currently on the roster. For a group starving for competition and improvement, he was the most intriguing piece.

If it was a guaranteed pick, I guess I could get behind it. Unfortunately if he is bad/ hurt you get nothing for him anyway. It’s not like the Ravens will let him hang around. If he becomes a decent player, you only return a 7th. Poor trade really unless they just want the cap savings.

Do you guys really think meyer is stupid? They have a vision and maybe Oliver doesn't fit that. They could be in trade talks or have a few guys they really like in the draft.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-17-2021, 10:56 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Do you guys really think meyer is stupid?   They have a vision and maybe Oliver doesn't fit that.   They could be in trade talks or have a few guys they really like in the draft.

Of course they have a vision, but it doesn't mean that vision will pan out. He still has zero NFL experience (well besides a month or so now) and zero experience drafting in the NFL. Can't just assume he's going to have the same success as he did in college.

On the talk of trading for a TE. I wouldn't mind if they traded for Njoku. Young and athletic with upside. Ertz would likely be the best TE we've ever had, but I think his best days are well behind him.

Ridiculous to not give him a chance.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-17-2021, 10:55 PM)rufftime Wrote: He had the highest ceiling of any TE currently on the roster.  For a group starving for competition and improvement, he was the most intriguing piece.  

If it was a guaranteed pick, I guess I could get behind it.  Unfortunately if he is bad/ hurt you get nothing for him anyway.  It’s not like the Ravens will let him hang around.  If he becomes a decent player, you only return a 7th.  Poor trade really unless they just want the cap savings.

He wasn't expensive!!!!  He was a couple hundred thousand above the league minimum which is nothing in NFL terms.  I would call it "peanuts", but that would be over-stating it. It was a "peanut" in cap savings at best.  If he sucks, the Ravens owe us nothing.  If he's wonderful, we get a 7th rounder (likely a late 7th rounder) which again can't even quality as "peanuts".  This is classic case of "heads we tie, tails we lose".  No intelligent person takes that bet.

(03-17-2021, 10:56 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Do you guys really think meyer is stupid?   They have a vision and maybe Oliver doesn't fit that.   They could be in trade talks or have a few guys they really like in the draft.

Meyer has yet to prove himself an NFL caliber coach of an NFL team.. Its not that people think he's stupid, we just don't know if he knows what he's doing. His vision may be great for a college team but craptastic for a pro team. Only time will tell.

(03-17-2021, 11:16 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Ridiculous to not give him a chance.

He's been given a chance. Two years in a row. 

Meyer/Baalke are getting rid of the players with zero chance of making the roster right now. Oliver was a bad pick, and it's time to move on.

(03-18-2021, 12:36 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:

He's been given a chance. Two years in a row. 

Meyer/Baalke are getting rid of the players with zero chance of making the roster right now. Oliver was a bad pick, and it's time to move on.

I'm sorry but two years is a short leash. We could have brought him into training camp and still swung that deal come final cuts. Seems a bit hasty unless we're getting Pitts
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

On the one hand it’s nice to see them move on from mistakes, not drag them on forever (hello Taven Bryan). Oliver showed no separation speed or quickness anyway and was always injured. The staff has surely looked at his body of work and his approach to the game and decided to move on. On the other hand it’s hard now to get a good TE this year unless you pull out a trade. You can’t rely on the draft to get you two good TE that produce right away.

He's had a chance and hasn't panned out. He's injury prone. It's no shame, making an NFL roster is hard and he's not the first 3rd rounder to end up as a bust.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-17-2021, 10:26 PM)RicoTx Wrote: He's not 'eating up a roster spot' if he's on IR.  I don't give a [BLEEP] who drafted him.  The trade doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially given our TE situation. See what he can do in camp and cut him if he looks bad.  It's a [BLEEP] 7th.

Pretty much this.