Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Oliver traded to the Ravens

(03-18-2021, 05:19 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 11:16 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Ridiculous to not give him a chance.

He's had a chance and hasn't panned out. He's injury prone. It's no shame, making an NFL roster is hard and he's not the first  3rd rounder to end up as a bust.

That's just it, he hasn't had a chance, because of the injuries, plus he's under contract.  So what's the harm in keeping him until camp?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 09:27 AM by Mikey.)

(03-17-2021, 07:20 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Did he do enough to make the Ring of Honor?

if he gets in before Zach Miller the RoH means nothing anymore.

(03-17-2021, 07:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco/status/1...89766?s=19

It is highly unlikely Oliver would of made the team so its nice to get something

cripes, we would have been better off drafting a punter in the 3rd, and that's with Cooke on the roster. Don't tell me that kid couldn't have used a break with the way our offense played.

(03-17-2021, 10:26 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 10:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Why are you crying?  The best ability is availability.  He hasn't shown jack squat since he has been here.   Whats the team supposed to do?  Continue having an injury prone no productive tight end eating up a roster post?

He's not 'eating up a roster spot' if he's on IR.  I don't give a [BLEEP] who drafted him.  The trade doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially given our TE situation. See what he can do in camp and cut him if he looks bad.  It's a [BLEEP] 7th.

While not eating up a roster spot on IR, you are still paying him to occupy that place, and yes, rosters are limited between the 53 and the IR designees. If he doesn't play well in the PS (or gets hurt again before then), you now cut him for nothing in return.

Obviously Meyer thinks less of him than he does of Ellefson and Davis. Two rookies that didn't contribute a lot but possibly will get their chance to prove themselves during training camp.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. To me, this was a non-issue. The kid couldn't stay healthy and he isn't part of the future. This way, we have a chance to get a pick for him rather than just outright releasing him, which likely would've happened. I'm fine with it.

(03-18-2021, 09:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 10:26 PM)RicoTx Wrote: He's not 'eating up a roster spot' if he's on IR.  I don't give a [BLEEP] who drafted him.  The trade doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially given our TE situation. See what he can do in camp and cut him if he looks bad.  It's a [BLEEP] 7th.

While not eating up a roster spot on IR, you are still paying him to occupy that place, and yes, rosters are limited between the 53 and the IR designees. If he doesn't play well in the PS (or gets hurt again before then), you now cut him for nothing in return.

And that 7th is going to be so much better?

(03-18-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 09:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: While not eating up a roster spot on IR, you are still paying him to occupy that place, and yes, rosters are limited between the 53 and the IR designees. If he doesn't play well in the PS (or gets hurt again before then), you now cut him for nothing in return.

And that 7th is going to be so much better?

You never know. If he just plays in like 4 games and makes a handful of plays, he'd be better than Oliver.

(03-18-2021, 10:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: And that 7th is going to be so much better?

You never know. If he just plays in like 4 games and makes a handful of plays, he'd be better than Oliver.

That remains to be seen.  Oliver's career is just shifting to another team.  We'll see.

(03-18-2021, 10:34 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You never know. If he just plays in like 4 games and makes a handful of plays, he'd be better than Oliver.

That remains to be seen.  Oliver's career is just shifting to another team.  We'll see.

Oliver had a career that was spent entirely in the training room with the doctors. He never saw the field. I'll take the unknown over that, 7 days a week.

Here is the plan...

We caught lightning in a bottle with the sensational undrafted running back acquisition so why not expect to duplicate it twice this year at TE. I mean clearly this is the best run franchise in the NFL.

Or....

It is going to take years to develop this roster because we wasted the last 2 years chasing 2017 fools gold.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(03-18-2021, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:34 AM)RicoTx Wrote: That remains to be seen.  Oliver's career is just shifting to another team.  We'll see.

Oliver had a career that was spent entirely in the training room with the doctors. He never saw the field. I'll take the unknown over that, 7 days a week.

Good for you.  We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Get it?  If he turns out OK for the Ravens THIS YEAR will you still be singing the same tune?

(03-18-2021, 10:39 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Oliver had a career that was spent entirely in the training room with the doctors. He never saw the field. I'll take the unknown over that, 7 days a week.

Good for you.  We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Get it?  If he turns out OK for the Ravens THIS YEAR will you still be singing the same tune?

What makes you think this year will be any different? Some of you guys are ridiculous. You hang onto players way too long, thinking they will magically turn into stars. He was given a chance and he couldn't stay healthy. It's time to move on. We get a pick in return and if we don't, it's because he got hurt again and he would've been cut anyway. It seems like you're melting down over a guy who has been a complete non-factor the entire time he's been here. He has shown zero production as a Jaguar. It's really not that big a deal.

This trade was so confusing.. Of course Meyer knows something that we don't, but was it toxic enough to warrant a 7th round pick? idk.. Is the dude crippled and laying in a bed somewhere like Mr. Glass in a body cast, hooked up to IV machines?

Did they shop him around first and take the best available offer? Did Oliver ask to be traded and we just didn't hear about it? Are the Jags just trying to stockpile draft picks for a move up in the draft for another TE?

After taking a day to try to process this move, the less it makes sense.. I agree, he should have been held onto and see how he performed in camp, but what do we know right now about the situation?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Where are we gonna get those 15 yards from the next few years?

Round 3 of the 2019 draft, the Jags select Josh Oliver and Quincy Williams.

This is an odd move. Unless guys like Davis and Ellefson are hidden gems about to have a breakout season, we have zero quality TEs on the roster. This guy has talent but has had bad luck with injuries. He is already under a cheap contract. Zero downside to keep him. But the downside to trading him is that he could blow up elsewhere if he can stay healthy. Seems too early to give up on a guy that is still young, has potential, and under a cheap contract.

It feels like such an obviously dumb move it makes me wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes that we dont know about. Maybe the guy hasnt been rehabbing the way he should. Maybe off the field concerns. etc.. or maybe the guy is just a terrible scheme fit for what they want to do. I don't know. Just odd.

(03-18-2021, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:39 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Good for you.  We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Get it?  If he turns out OK for the Ravens THIS YEAR will you still be singing the same tune?

What makes you think this year will be any different? Some of you guys are ridiculous. You hang onto players way too long, thinking they will magically turn into stars. He was given a chance and he couldn't stay healthy. It's time to move on. We get a pick in return and if we don't, it's because he got hurt again and he would've been cut anyway. It seems like you're melting down over a guy who has been a complete non-factor the entire time he's been here. He has shown zero production as a Jaguar. It's really not that big a deal.

Hmmm.  He's going to be a star?  Mind pointing out where I said that?

You have a funny definition of 'melting down' when you're one that talks about punching walls and ridiculous crap like that.  

I'm questioning why you would release a guy who was a third round pick, who is under contract, for a CONDITIONAL 7th round pick NEXT YEAR.  When, I'm assuming, he'd have to play this year or make the active roster for us to get that CONDITIONAL pick.

It's not that difficult to understand.

(03-18-2021, 11:58 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What makes you think this year will be any different? Some of you guys are ridiculous. You hang onto players way too long, thinking they will magically turn into stars. He was given a chance and he couldn't stay healthy. It's time to move on. We get a pick in return and if we don't, it's because he got hurt again and he would've been cut anyway. It seems like you're melting down over a guy who has been a complete non-factor the entire time he's been here. He has shown zero production as a Jaguar. It's really not that big a deal.

Hmmm.  He's going to be a star?  Mind pointing out where I said that?

You have a funny definition of 'melting down' when you're one that talks about punching walls and ridiculous crap like that.  

I'm questioning why you would release a guy who was a third round pick, who is under contract, for a CONDITIONAL 7th round pick NEXT YEAR.  When, I'm assuming, he'd have to play this year or make the active roster for us to get that CONDITIONAL pick.

It's not that difficult to understand.

He is a waste of gatorade and snacks. Not to mention all the medical attention he receives, the amount of icy hot and physical therapy... he is a sunk cost. Best to just move on. It's like a house that just has endless repairs, just take your losses. Imagine the amount of gatorade spent on 15 yards, Khan is VERY VERY VERY... VERY UNHAPPY!!!!

we just traded the next Tony Gonzalez for nothing. We dumb.

(03-18-2021, 01:02 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: we just traded the next Tony Gonzalez for nothing.  We dumb.

You are, most definitely, speaking for yourself.  Especially sentence #2.