Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Oliver traded to the Ravens

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 02:37 PM by Jag149.)

Sometimes a player needs either a wake-up call or a change of scenery to change his luck. We had the opportunity to get Jimmy Smith because he couldn't stay on the field in Dallas. Now before I get the "he isn't Jimmy Smith" rants, I know this. The point is he maybe will get straight , maybe not. Either way I wish him luck because the Jags felt like staying here wouldn't. Standing by for the panic when he catches a pass next season..... LOL
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No... standby for the coronation when paired with the Ravens system and Lamar he breaks out
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(03-18-2021, 03:48 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: No...  standby for the coronation when paired with the Ravens system and Lamar he breaks out
My prediction is he ends up hurt, cut, or on the practice squad.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-18-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 09:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: While not eating up a roster spot on IR, you are still paying him to occupy that place, and yes, rosters are limited between the 53 and the IR designees. If he doesn't play well in the PS (or gets hurt again before then), you now cut him for nothing in return.

And that 7th is going to be so much better?

if they see the field on special teams, that certainly is more valuable than paying Oliver to sit on IR, yes.

If we cut him in the preseason, we get nothing for him. If we play the season out, and he remains a wet fart, we get nothing for him. If he somehow finds the magic and stays healthy, we lost out, but I'd rather bring the next man up to see what they can manage in his stead. 

You're freaking out like we just sent JRob packing.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 08:37 AM by Mikey.)

(03-18-2021, 10:39 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Oliver had a career that was spent entirely in the training room with the doctors. He never saw the field. I'll take the unknown over that, 7 days a week.

Good for you.  We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Get it?  If he turns out OK for the Ravens THIS YEAR will you still be singing the same tune?

Our top TE had 350 yds rcvg last year, and we sent him packing already. Based on what you know about Oliver, do you expect to see even that level of productivity out of him?

What is OK? If he turns out OK, we missed out. I have a feeling we can find someone else to get a couple hundred yards over 16 games.

(03-18-2021, 10:56 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: This trade was so confusing.. Of course Meyer knows something that we don't, but was it toxic enough to warrant a 7th round pick? idk.. Is the dude crippled and laying in a bed somewhere like Mr. Glass in a body cast, hooked up to IV machines?

Did they shop him around first and take the best available offer? Did Oliver ask to be traded and we just didn't hear about it? Are the Jags just trying to stockpile draft picks for a move up in the draft for another TE?

After taking a day to try to process this move, the less it makes sense..  I agree, he should have been held onto and see how he performed in camp, but what do we know right now about the situation?

Dude has 15 career yards, the pick just gave BAL the chance to jump the line for the waiver wire to see if this reclamation project is worth anything. I doubt any team was banging down our door to acquire his services.

(03-18-2021, 03:48 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: No...  standby for the coronation when paired with the Ravens system and Lamar he breaks out

....is Oliver that great of a run blocker?

(03-19-2021, 08:19 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: And that 7th is going to be so much better?

if they see the field on special teams, that certainly is more valuable than paying Oliver to sit on IR, yes.

If we cut him in the preseason, we get nothing for him. If we play the season out, and he remains a wet fart, we get nothing for him. If he somehow finds the magic and stays healthy, we lost out, but I'd rather bring the next man up to see what they can manage in his stead. 

You're freaking out like we just sent JRob packing.

Who is freaking out?  Good God.  I'm trying to explain my logic.  You know, if he doesn't make the Ravens roster we don't get anything either...which is pretty much what we'd get by cutting.  If he makes their roster, we then get a 7th.  So my logic is if he makes their roster then he is indeed worth that 7th we are going to get next year.  Not only that, we'd have him this year.  Was that calm enough?  I don't want to be misconstrued as 'freaking out'.  Logically, the deal just doesn't seem to make sense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

From Urban Meyer press conference today:

Urban Meyer says personnel side made the Josh Oliver trade decision and he agreed with it. Said he just didn't know a lot about him.

(03-19-2021, 10:14 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: From Urban Meyer press conference today:

Urban Meyer says personnel side made the Josh Oliver trade decision and he agreed with it. Said he just didn't know a lot about him.

Huh?  

Who is the 'personnel side'?

Must be Baalke.

(03-19-2021, 10:18 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 10:14 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: From Urban Meyer press conference today:

Huh?  

Who is the 'personnel side'?

Possibly Baalke? Just read that on part of the report, haven't listened to full press conference yet.

Say what you want, but on paper this trade makes zero sense. JO seems to be the type of TE the coach is looking for. Coach wants speed, in 2019 JO was tied for the 3rd best 40 time of a TE at the combine at 4.64. He can catch the ball, in his last 2 years in college he had 91 catches and 1,005 yds. Sounds like the guy you're looking for to at least be a backup. On the negative side, up to this point dude can't stay on the field. But why dump him now? The Jags have a less than average TE room there. If he isn't performing or has an attitude issue, I get it. But getting rid of him without even seeing if the guy was going to work out in your system? On paper, it makes zero sense to trade that potential without giving him a shot with the new regimen for basically nothing.

Meyer has said that when he says speed he doesn't mean 40-time.

Seeing him at an interview. He looks like he doesn't lift weights. Uses the rubber band machines. Wasn't a Meyer type of guy. He wants cut well defined body builders, power lifters with square jaws.

(03-19-2021, 10:58 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Seeing him at an interview. He looks like he doesn't lift weights. Uses the rubber band machines.  Wasn't a Meyer type of guy. He wants cut well defined body builders, power lifters with square jaws.

Do you ever post anything that makes sense?

This. He's has got a looming cloud over his head and will prove to folks he can play and get on the field. Won't be surprised he he blossoms into a good player.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

If Oliver ever gets on the field maybe he’ll be good, maybe he won’t be. He’s been injured a lot. I personally wouldn’t have traded him for basically nothing, but I’m not gonna lose sleep about it. People are only freaking out because we don’t have a receiving TE (which we’ve never had). I’m sure we’ll do something to address it either in FA or the first 3 picks of the draft