Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN: Meyer not prepared basic functions of the NFL according to SeldomRite

(03-19-2021, 12:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:15 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: How is it deceptive? The guy thought free agency in the NFL was going to be like recruiting teenagers to go play for his college team.

You either have very poor reading comprehension, or you are a liar.  

"Jacksonville Jaguars coach Urban Meyer knew free agency was going to be different from recruiting..."

So, does that say he thought it was going to be like recruiting, or that he knew it was going to be different from recruiting?  

You're on a roll today

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-19-2021, 12:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:15 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: How is it deceptive? The guy thought free agency in the NFL was going to be like recruiting teenagers to go play for his college team.

You either have very poor reading comprehension, or you are a liar.  

"Jacksonville Jaguars coach Urban Meyer knew free agency was going to be different from recruiting..."

So, does that say he thought it was going to be like recruiting, or that he knew it was going to be different from recruiting?  

To continue the quote directly: "but he wasn't really prepared for one of the most glaring discrepancies: signing guys without meeting them."

So he thought signing free agents was going to be like recruiting guys.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 12:49 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-19-2021, 12:43 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You either have very poor reading comprehension, or you are a liar.  

To continue the quote directly: "but he wasn't really prepared for one of the most glaring discrepancies: signing guys without meeting them."

No.  Again, no.  What he's talking about is the NFL pandemic-related rules that keep coaches from meeting free agents.  Don't you remember, every year in the past, free agents come to town, we wine and dine them, and they either sign a contract or they go to the next city?  Don't you remember that?  It has nothing to do with college recruiting.  He's talking about the fact that right now, NFL coaches cannot meet with free agents.  And I imagine every other NFL coach feels the same way he does.

(03-19-2021, 12:47 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:43 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: To continue the quote directly: "but he wasn't really prepared for one of the most glaring discrepancies: signing guys without meeting them."

No.  Again, no.  What he's talking about is the NFL pandemic-related rules that keep coaches from meeting free agents.  Don't you remember, every year in the past, free agents come to town, we wine and dine them, and they either sign a contract or they go to the next city?  Don't you remember that?  It has nothing to do with college recruiting.  He's talking about the fact that right now, NFL coaches cannot meet with free agents.  And I imagine every other NFL coach feels the same way he does.

Another swing and a miss. From the article directly: "Teams are allowed to contact the agents of players who will become free agents only during the two-day period before the league year officially begins. Because that's when most of the deals are struck"

Holy hell lololol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 12:58 PM by SeldomRite.)

To make it more clear, this guy has spent his career being in the position to say to the best players "you have to do what I want to get what you want" while in the NFL the great players already have what they want when they get to you, the coach doesn't get to motivate guys with a carrot off in the distance, they've already got the carrot. It's a completely different game and different dynamic. Hopefully the Jags manage to not [BLEEP] the bed in spite of this guy.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 01:11 PM by iapetus.)

Can we get this thread renamed to a more accurate "ESPN: SeldomRite not prepared for the basic function of reading"?

(03-19-2021, 01:10 PM)iapetus Wrote: Can we get this thread renamed to a more accurate "ESPN: SeldomRite not prepared for the basic function of reading"?

Did I slip into another dimension where the home team part of the forum is now the political part of the forum where people read something and half of them claim it says the opposite of what it says?

He wants to meet the players for dinner with their mommy and daddy before letting him in the program.

I mean, the username fits the post honestly.

Its clear your bias of feeling towards Meyer is making you over analyze every tiny thing and build it into something it's not.

article was a non issue...lol
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I remember this guy Pete Carroll once coached the Patriots and was fired and never heard from again.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 02:15 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-19-2021, 01:14 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 01:10 PM)iapetus Wrote: Can we get this thread renamed to a more accurate "ESPN: SeldomRite not prepared for the basic function of reading"?

Did I slip into another dimension where the home team part of the forum is now the political part of the forum where people read something and half of them claim it says the opposite of what it says?

I don't know, it appears to me that ONE of them is reading a lot that isn't there.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-19-2021, 01:14 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Well, we've already gotten to the part where you misrepresent the content of the article with a fake news headline.

(03-19-2021, 01:21 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I mean, the username fits the post honestly.

Its clear your bias of feeling towards Meyer is making you over analyze every tiny thing and build it into something it's not.

SeldomRite is to Meyer as TheOlineMatters is to Cam Robinson. Both are so afflicted with their personal issues that they barely function.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Good lord. Some of you are just looking for things to freak out about.

(03-19-2021, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: There's nothing in that article that paints Meyer in a bad light. I don't like the guy, but damn, at least get your facts right in your hatchet job headlines.

There's a lot of Meyer hate around. Some guys aren't satisfied with waiting to see if he'll mess up so they'll make up something instead.

(03-19-2021, 12:15 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: You wrote a completely deceptive headline.  On purpose.  That is not a good look for you.  You should know better.

How is it deceptive? The guy thought free agency in the NFL was going to be like recruiting teenagers to go play for his college team.

As o-line said, he's probably winging this.

I remember when Reid was hired by KC in 2013 people on here knew he'd make that team successful because he was a great coach with a track record of NFL success. The Jaguars had the possiblity to make a move like that this offseason and instead hired a quitter with no NFL experience.

That's not even remotely close to the take in the article.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-19-2021, 02:37 PM)DawgJag Wrote: Good lord. Some of you are just looking for things to freak out about.

amen
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Meyer makes a good point. It is a stupid rule.

Who gives a [BLEEP]?

We have Trevor freaking Lawrence.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 04:45 PM by JagsorDie.)

(03-19-2021, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: There's nothing in that article that paints Meyer in a bad light. I don't like the guy, but damn, at least get your facts right in your hatchet job headlines.

Right. This is why we can’t have nice things. He hasn’t coach a single game in the nfl and many in our fanbase have already decided he has no clue about the NFL.