Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN: Meyer not prepared basic functions of the NFL according to SeldomRite

(03-19-2021, 12:51 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:47 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: No.  Again, no.  What he's talking about is the NFL pandemic-related rules that keep coaches from meeting free agents.  Don't you remember, every year in the past, free agents come to town, we wine and dine them, and they either sign a contract or they go to the next city?  Don't you remember that?  It has nothing to do with college recruiting.  He's talking about the fact that right now, NFL coaches cannot meet with free agents.  And I imagine every other NFL coach feels the same way he does.

Another swing and a miss. From the article directly: "Teams are allowed to contact the agents of players who will become free agents only during the two-day period before the league year officially begins. Because that's when most of the deals are struck"

I'm pretty positive he learned about this rule well before free agency began so it had no effect on how they went about things. I mean he is working with an experienced GM who he has been discussing free agency with for months.

He said he didn't like the rule, not that he didn't prepare for it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-19-2021, 01:10 PM)iapetus Wrote: Can we get this thread renamed to a more accurate "ESPN: SeldomRite not prepared for the basic function of reading"?

It's the effects of Meyer Derangement Syndrome.  Instead of Orange Man Bad, it's Urban Man Bad.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(03-19-2021, 05:17 PM)Predator Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:51 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Another swing and a miss. From the article directly: "Teams are allowed to contact the agents of players who will become free agents only during the two-day period before the league year officially begins. Because that's when most of the deals are struck"

I'm pretty positive he learned about this rule well before free agency began so it had no effect on how they went about things. I mean he is working with an experienced GM who he has been discussing free agency with for months.

He said he didn't like the rule, not that he didn't prepare for it.
Right it was written to say he wasn't ready and to get clicks. All Meyer said was the rule 8s terrible and you should be able to talk and meet players to a read on them. If you can't do that you have to go off of others opinions. The draft, other signings at any point you can contact them.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

LMBO...

There's ALOT of Sand Blasting going on in this thread and rightfully so.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Jaguars.com posted even more. Even a few days ago during the actual opening of free agency he thought he was going to recruit guys based on something other than paying them. Like I said, months into the job as the defacto GM of the team he doesn't understand how being an NFL GM works.

"I didn't feel the recruiting element," Meyer said. "I was ready to. I had my recruiting stuff ready to go, but it didn't really come down to that. It came down to, 'Are you going to pay the player and get in the game?' I was hoping to get some former players, but it didn't work. [Running back] Carlos [Hyde], I got.

Nowhere did it mention he was caught off guard. Said he didn’t like it. I tend to agree, I’d like to speak face to face with some one I’m giving millions too as well.

(03-20-2021, 07:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Jaguars.com posted even more. Even a few days ago during the actual opening of free agency he thought he was going to recruit guys based on something other than paying them. Like I said, months into the job as the defacto GM of the team he doesn't understand how being an NFL GM works.

"I didn't feel the recruiting element," Meyer said. "I was ready to. I had my recruiting stuff ready to go, but it didn't really come down to that. It came down to, 'Are you going to pay the player and get in the game?' I was hoping to get some former players, but it didn't work. [Running back] Carlos [Hyde], I got.

OK.  Nice job cutting and pasting.  But how the [BLEEP] is this construed as something negative.  

There's enough negatives without making [BLEEP] up.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-20-2021, 08:09 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 07:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Jaguars.com posted even more. Even a few days ago during the actual opening of free agency he thought he was going to recruit guys based on something other than paying them. Like I said, months into the job as the defacto GM of the team he doesn't understand how being an NFL GM works.

OK.  Nice job cutting and pasting.  But how the [BLEEP] is this construed as something negative.  

What part of less than a week ago the dude thought he was going to be recruiting guys like it's college do you not get?

(03-20-2021, 08:46 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 08:09 AM)RicoTx Wrote: OK.  Nice job cutting and pasting.  But how the [BLEEP] is this construed as something negative.  

What part of less than a week ago the dude thought he was going to be recruiting guys like it's college do you not get?

You're [BLEEP] ridiculous.  I can't wait to see how you twist the next report.

Oh my God.  Oh my God.  He turrible.

(03-20-2021, 09:35 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 08:46 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: What part of less than a week ago the dude thought he was going to be recruiting guys like it's college do you not get?

You're [BLEEP] ridiculous.  I can't wait to see how you twist the next report.

It's like we're on the political forum where people are ignoring reality and running to defend their guy.

Maybe it works out for the Jaguars anyway, but Meyer clearly has no idea about the NFL coming into it and apparently was'nt interested in getting up to speed ahead of time, and that's really worrisome in a league where everyone is always working as hard as possible.

There's smoke, let's hope it's not a dumpster fire.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2021, 09:47 AM by RicoTx.)

(03-20-2021, 09:42 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 09:35 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You're [BLEEP] ridiculous.  I can't wait to see how you twist the next report.

It's like we're on the political forum where people are ignoring reality and running to defend their guy.

Maybe it works out for the Jaguars anyway, but Meyer clearly has no idea about the NFL coming into it and apparently was'nt interested in getting up to speed ahead of time, and that's really worrisome in a league where everyone is always working as hard as possible.

You've said that once already and you're the only one seeing this as some huge issue.  See the difference?

The only thing that is 'clearly' an issue is you wanting to blow everything out of proportion.

(03-20-2021, 09:42 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 09:35 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You're [BLEEP] ridiculous.  I can't wait to see how you twist the next report.

Somebody's ignoring reality alright. Try reading what you pasted. Meyer may end up a disaster but one thing he is not is unprepared.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Go go gadget arms!

I don't get the title of the thread and the article.  The article doesn't say anything at all about Meyer being unprepared and several other sites have stated the Jags were one of the most improved teams after free agency.  Baalke stated they would be looking for value in free agency.  

Personally, I was hoping that the Jags wouldn't go crazy in free agency and overspend on flashy players and that's exactly what happened.  Actually a relief that we don't reek of desperation. 

Looks like political propaganda and fake news.

At this stage, we are witnessing a witch hunt.  You're reading a whole lot into the phrase "recruiting stuff". That may just be his wine and dine mask, ready to laud all of the coaches and experience that they have, talking up potential to come in and start right away, etc., basically blowing a bunch of smoke up a guy's hiney to make him think this place is better than the other place that is doing the same dang thing.

What it came down to? Call an agent, submit a offer and contract, and wait for them to either accept, reject, or counter. whoop de freaking doo. No schmoozing.

I am still uncertain about the hire, but come on, this is nothing but grasping at straws.

Love the new thread title

(03-22-2021, 08:47 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Love the new thread title

Stupidity is finally rewarded with accountability

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

The quote you are posting was in a response to a question where Meyer was specifically asked whether his background was a positive or negative in recruiting.  He basically responded that he was ready to recruit if necessary, but it didn't come down to that.  How is being prepared a bad thing?  Players are people and people are sometimes different.  Most players will follow the money, but he was prepared in case a player who he wanted did say "The money is roughly even with another team, what's the benefit of going with you?".  He was ready for all contingencies.  That's what smart people do.  

(03-22-2021, 08:47 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Love the new thread title

Big Grin
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Hilarious title  Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23