Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Report: John Kerry told Iranians about Israeli covert operations

Give him over to the Israelis. I'm sure they'll get their pound of flesh.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2021, 07:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Give him over to the Israelis. I'm sure they'll get their pound of flesh.

Oof.
I'm half. And I don't think I'm allowed to say stuff like that...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-27-2021, 07:44 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 07:35 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Give him over to the Israelis. I'm sure they'll get their pound of flesh.

Oof.

Half what? 

The guy deserves nothing less and so much more.

They sure won't get a pound of backbone..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(04-27-2021, 08:27 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 07:44 PM)mikesez Wrote: Oof.

Half what? 

The guy deserves nothing less and so much more
Maybe you are unaware where the phrase a pound of flesh comes from?

(04-26-2021, 02:16 PM)mikesez Wrote: This reminds me of when Trump was accused of disclosing Israeli activities in Syria to Russians.
With Trump, he was President so it was in his power/discretion to do that. The question is, was it wise, or was it another example of him being unworthy of the public trust?
With Kerry, unless he had Obama's or Biden's permission to blab about these things, he should be prosecuted or at the very least removed from office.

Weren’t you on the finger-wagging wagon with Marty lecturing conservatives here on “whataboutism”?

(04-27-2021, 08:45 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 08:27 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Half what? 

The guy deserves nothing less and so much more
Maybe you are unaware where the phrase a pound of flesh comes from?

I'm a right and just world, Kerry would be taking a pound of flesh in Federal prison.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 08:43 AM by mikesez.)

(04-28-2021, 06:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 02:16 PM)mikesez Wrote: This reminds me of when Trump was accused of disclosing Israeli activities in Syria to Russians.
With Trump, he was President so it was in his power/discretion to do that. The question is, was it wise, or was it another example of him being unworthy of the public trust?
With Kerry, unless he had Obama's or Biden's permission to blab about these things, he should be prosecuted or at the very least removed from office.

Weren’t you on the finger-wagging wagon with Marty lecturing conservatives here on “whataboutism”?

The classic case of whataboutism is when Soviet propagandists would try to amplify stories about lynchings in the American South in an effort to divert attention away from the political repression and mass starvation that they were inflicting on Ukraine.

The things that I'm comparing are similar in type, number, and severity.

(04-28-2021, 08:01 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 06:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Weren’t you on the finger-wagging wagon with Marty lecturing conservatives here on “whataboutism”?

The classic case of whataboutism is when Soviet propagandists would try to amplify stories about lynchings in the American South in an effort to divert attention away from the political repression and mass starvation that they were inflicting on Ukraine.

The things that I'm comparing are similar in type, number, and severity.

Soviet propaganda…ok then.

The classic case of googling your defense in an effort to redeem your terrible positions, then finding out you don't really have a defense, so you post the first interesting thing you find in the hope it will divert attention away from your previous post.

The things that you compare are irrelevant since it was, in fact, whataboutism.

I googled nothing. That came from memory. You guys always forget to consider the possibility that I might know significantly more than you do.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 09:49 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-28-2021, 06:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I wasn't lecturing conservatives.  I was lecturing Trump supporters.  Completely different thing.

(04-28-2021, 07:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 08:45 PM)mikesez Wrote: Maybe you are unaware where the phrase a pound of flesh comes from?

I'm a right and just world, Kerry would be taking a pound of flesh in Federal prison.

I assume you mean after a fair trial and a conviction.  Kerry has denied the allegation.

(04-28-2021, 09:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 06:43 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Weren’t you on the finger-wagging wagon with Marty lecturing conservatives here on “whataboutism”?

I wasn't lecturing conservatives.  I was lecturing Trump supporters.  Completely different thing.

(04-28-2021, 07:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I'm a right and just world, Kerry would be taking a pound of flesh in Federal prison.

I assume you mean after a fair trial and a conviction.  Kerry has denied the allegation.

Who you were lecturing is irrelevant. It’s the fact he employed the same tactics that both of you were hands-on-hips sermonizing about.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 10:08 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-28-2021, 09:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 09:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I wasn't lecturing conservatives.  I was lecturing Trump supporters.  Completely different thing.

Who you were lecturing is irrelevant. It’s the fact he employed the same tactics that both of you were hands-on-hips sermonizing about.

Obviously, just because some people defended Trump when he was accused of the same thing that Kerry is accused of, that wouldn't absolve Kerry of guilt if he did it.  And it wouldn't absolve Trump either.  Agree?

Whataboutism is a distraction tactic, and it has nothing to do with the case at hand.  I haven't changed my stance on that.

(04-28-2021, 09:35 AM)mikesez Wrote: I googled nothing.  That came from memory.  You guys always forget to consider the possibility that I might know significantly more than you do.

Truly it was never a possibility.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-28-2021, 09:35 AM)mikesez Wrote: I googled nothing.  That came from memory.  You guys always forget to consider the possibility that I might know significantly more than you do.

Mike. C'mon, dude. Your example is literally paragraph 2 from the wikipedia entry on whataboutism. Did you happen to write that, too? Or did you just remember it from the last time you googled it? I find it hard to believe... of ALL the examples of whataboutism in the world, that you just happened to use this particular example in defense of your post. This is my problem with you, bro. All of your knowledge is surface level. You fail to connect the dots, and live in a world of rhetoric supported by Google searches. Please don't use the phrase "critical thinking" anymore until you figure out how to do it.  

Whataboutism

Quote:Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.[1][2][3]

According to Russian writer, chess grandmaster and political activist Garry Kasparov, "whataboutism" is a word that was coined to describe the frequent use of a rhetorical diversion by Soviet apologists and dictators, who would counter charges of their oppression, "massacres, gulags, and forced deportations" by invoking American slaveryracismlynchings, etc.[4] Whataboutism has been used by other politicians and countries as well.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 12:04 PM by mikesez.)

(04-28-2021, 10:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 09:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Who you were lecturing is irrelevant. It’s the fact he employed the same tactics that both of you were hands-on-hips sermonizing about.

Obviously, just because some people defended Trump when he was accused of the same thing that Kerry is accused of, that wouldn't absolve Kerry of guilt if he did it.  And it wouldn't absolve Trump either.  Agree?

Whataboutism is a distraction tactic, and it has nothing to do with the case at hand.  I haven't changed my stance on that.

Yes it is a distraction tactic.
And my post wasn't trying to distract.  My post confronted Kerry and said that the thing should be investigated and punished if necessary.

Whataboutism means:
The thing you're bringing up is less important or severe than the thing being discussed,
The thing you're bringing up is not related to or similar to the thing being discussed,
And you don't deal with the thing originally being discussed, on the grounds that your discussion partners didn't deal with your thing.

My post doesn't meet any of those three tests. The only specific protest it got was FSG saying it's false. False statements aren't whataboutism, they're just lies.

All book smarts, no common sense..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(04-28-2021, 02:27 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

All book smarts Google searches, no common sense..

FTFY
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-28-2021, 10:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 09:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Who you were lecturing is irrelevant. It’s the fact he employed the same tactics that both of you were hands-on-hips sermonizing about.

Allow me to rephrase that more accurately.

"But what about Trump?"