Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1010 xl media mock draft

I just listened to 1010's media mock draft. It is always interesting listening to media from each NFL city since they are most aware of their team's needs prior to the draft. There were really not that many surprises, but it gave a pretty good indication of players that the Jaguars may have available at picks 25 and 33. This is what I took from this draft:

1. No surprise that it was very much dominated by offensive players. 

2. The consensus top offensive tackles were all gone (Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Jenkins and AVT). 

3. Biggest shocker was the Bucs taking Trask at the end of round 1 (very unlikely, I know). That made 6 q.b.'s taken.

4. 4 wide receivers were taken ( Chase, Smith, Waddle and Bateman).

5. The Jaguars (Hicken) selected Jaelen Phillips with Barmore, Collins and all those other receivers on the board. The following players were still not taken by the end of round 1:

Tackles:  Eichenberg, Radunz, Mayfield, Cosmi

Receivers: Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Kadarius Toney, Terrace Marshall

Edge/OLB: Zaven Collins, Joseph Ossai

Others of interest: Jevon Holland, Pat Freirmuth, Travis Etienne, Landon Dickerson, Levi Onwuzurike, Daviyon Nixon, Asante Samuel

If this scenerio played out, how would you handle the Jaguars draft on day 2 (rounds 2 and 3)?

My picks would be:

2(33) - Liam Eichenberg

2(45)- Pat Freirmuth

3(65)- Dynami Brown

What grade would you give Hicken's pick of Phillips? I'd give it a "B" because of concussions/previous injury. He does have a very high ceiling at a position of need. I would have taken Zaven Collins since he is a much safer pick who also has high upside. 

The remainder of the draft would need to add a change of pace back, safety, and another offensive lineman. I'd likely try to move up at least one time to get a player at one of these spots.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 03:37 PM by The Real Marty.)

(04-28-2021, 02:55 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I just listened to 1010's media mock draft. It is always interesting listening to media from each NFL city since they are most aware of their team's needs prior to the draft. There were really not that many surprises, but it gave a pretty good indication of players that the Jaguars may have available at picks 25 and 33. This is what I took from this draft:

2. The consensus top offensive tackles were all gone (Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Jenkins and AVT). 

3. Biggest shocker was the Bucs taking Trask at the end of round 1 (very unlikely, I know). That made 6 q.b.'s taken.

5. The Jaguars (Hicken) selected Jaelen Phillips with Barmore, Collins and all those other receivers on the board. The following players were still not taken by the end of round 1:

Others of interest: Jevon Holland, Pat Freirmuth, Travis Etienne, Landon Dickerson, Levi Onwuzurike, Daviyon Nixon, Asante Samuel

If this scenerio played out, how would you handle the Jaguars draft on day 2 (rounds 2 and 3)?

My picks would be:

2(33) - Liam Eichenberg

2(45)- Pat Freirmuth

3(65)- Dynami Brown

What grade would you give Hicken's pick of Phillips? I'd give it a "B" because of concussions/previous injury. He does have a very high ceiling at a position of need. I would have taken Zaven Collins since he is a much safer pick who also has high upside. 

The remainder of the draft would need to add a change of pace back, safety, and another offensive lineman. I'd likely try to move up at least one time to get a player at one of these spots.

I give the Phillips pick an F.  The guy had some serious concussions and at one point even quit football.  No way I spend a first round pick on him.

I would be fine with Zaven Collins or Christian Barmore in that spot, or maybe someone else, but not Phillips.

1-1. QB Trevor Lawrence ...grand slam pick.
1-25. Edge Jaelan Phillips ...impact player if concussion concerns check out.

2-33. DT Levi Onwuzurike ...interior playmaker with Mr. Miyagi hands (per Bucky)
2-45. WR Rondale Moore ...give Trevor a unique weapon.
3-65. TE Hunter Long or Brevin Jordan ...I think either will be a solid pro.

(04-28-2021, 03:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 02:55 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I just listened to 1010's media mock draft. It is always interesting listening to media from each NFL city since they are most aware of their team's needs prior to the draft. There were really not that many surprises, but it gave a pretty good indication of players that the Jaguars may have available at picks 25 and 33. This is what I took from this draft:

My picks would be:

2(33) - Liam Eichenberg

2(45)- Pat Freirmuth

3(65)- Dynami Brown

I give the Phillips pick an F.  The guy had some serious concussions and at one point even quit football.  No way I spend a first round pick on him.

I would be fine with Zaven Collins or Christian Barmore in that spot, or maybe someone else, but not Phillips.

Phillips is definitely one of the riskiest picks in this class along with Farley, Oweh and Trey Lance. It seems like draft followers either love him or hate him- no in between. My gut tells me that Meyer would take Barmore in this scenerio since there are more talented edge players in this draft. He needs to call Nick Saban first, however, to ask about reports that he wasn't very "coachable." Of course, Saban also loved Cam Robinson so I'm not sure if they should listen to him again!

(04-28-2021, 03:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

My picks would be:

2(33) - Liam Eichenberg

2(45)- Pat Freirmuth

3(65)- Dynami Brown

I do not disagree with you on Phillips, but out of curiosity, what's the earliest you would draft Phillips?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021, 09:28 PM by mikesez.)

I'd have taken Eichenberg at 25.
If the OT we want won't be available at 25, we need to package 25 and 45 to trade up get him.
We just need an OT that badly.
Nothing matters more than protecting Lawrence.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-28-2021, 08:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 03:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I give the Phillips pick an F.  The guy had some serious concussions and at one point even quit football.  No way I spend a first round pick on him.

I do not disagree with you on Phillips, but out of curiosity, what's the earliest you would draft Phillips?

I don't believe I'd take him until 45 due to the concussions. Great potential, but not worth the risk.

(04-28-2021, 09:34 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 08:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I do not disagree with you on Phillips, but out of curiosity, what's the earliest you would draft Phillips?

I don't believe I'd take him until 45 due to the concussions. Great potential, but not worth the risk.

That's kinda what I was thinking, too, but I can't say I would be overly comfortable even then.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I hope we find a way to get Samuel Jr.
and I’m not impressed with Friermuth at all. But I think we’re gonna do something at TE.

I also think we’re gonna move around in the draft and possibly focus on next year. Trade out of a few spots. If we’re gonna build it around Lawrence then go all in and build it.

(04-28-2021, 08:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 03:36 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I give the Phillips pick an F.  The guy had some serious concussions and at one point even quit football.  No way I spend a first round pick on him.

I think around 45 would be okay.  

It's not just the concussions.  It's that he thought they were serious enough that he quit football at one point.  So even if he doesn't get another one, what if he decides 2 or 3 years from now that the risk is just too great?  Retire?  So he's not just a concussion risk.  He's a retirement risk.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 04:40 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-28-2021, 09:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'd have taken Eichenberg at 25.
If the OT we want won't be available at 25, we need to package 25 and 45 to trade up get him.

I've said this before but it bears repeating.  There are many ways to protect a QB.  For example, keep the score down so we can continue to run the ball.  That means get him a defense.   Or, get him some weapons so he can get rid of the ball quicker.  

You can have the greatest offensive line in the world, and I am all in favor of it.  But if the QB has to drop back to pass on every play, and the defense knows it, and/or the QB can't find open receivers, he's going to get hit a lot.

And that's why I wouldn't panic if we don't spend high picks on offensive linemen.

(04-29-2021, 04:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 09:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'd have taken Eichenberg at 25.

I've said this before but it bears repeating.  There are many ways to protect a QB.  For example, keep the score down so we can continue to run the ball.  That means get him a defense.   Or, get him some weapons so he can get rid of the ball quicker.  

You can have the greatest offensive line in the world, and I am all in favor of it.  But if the QB has to drop back to pass on every play, and the defense knows it, and/or the QB can't find open receivers, he's going to get hit a lot.

And that's why I wouldn't panic if we don't spend high picks on offensive linemen.

There are many ways to protect a QB, but when you have two slow footed OT's, who are constantly getting beat before they get out of their stance, anything you do will just be in vain. Sometimes you actually have to look at your personnel and say we need better players. I'm not looking for a perfect O-Line. It would be nice, but not very realistic. I think our interior O-Line is fine the way it is. I have no issues there, but we don't have a decent OT on our roster. It's sad that as bad as Robinson is, Taylor is even worse and Will Richardson, the top backup may be even worse than Taylor. We HAVE to address this issue. The tape doesn't lie. We need OT's with quicker feet and better technique.