Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When crime gets personal

I wasn't sure how to title this because I'm still trying to process it all after my mom telling me about it yesterday. A cousin on my uncle's side of the family (by marriage) was carjacked and killed last week in Montana. Denny was 33 years old and married with two young children. He was minding his own business and two repeat offenders took his life for no. damn. reason. The man who killed him is listed by police as transient and had an arrest record spanning several jurisdictions, including Washington state. He was also a suspect in an April 19 shooting incident where he shot through the door of a home and the bullet hit a woman in the head; she survived. He is dead after a 9 hour standoff with police and a self-inflicted gunshot to the head. The woman was tasered after resisting arrest and is in jail on $500K bond. She is facing a homicide charge.

Link to most recent news story. 

They forced their way into his van after he refused them a ride and they beat him and shot him five times, killing him. 

This is why I'm angry.  And it's not because they had guns. 

Courts need to be held just as responsible for these criminals being able to continue committing the crimes as law enforcement should be at apprehending them in a manner that doesn't cause all hell to break loose. This guy was continually slipping through cracks in a system that seemed indifferent to his violent tendencies. I mean, he was wearing an ankle monitor for Christ's sake and what did they do after he didn't show up for a hearing? Did they do anything? Get the [BLEEP] off your [BLEEP] and go find him you [BLEEP] [BLEEP].  It's possible they lack the personnel and resources to keep track of every single person, I get that, but this was not a once or twice situation. 

-January of 2019, McClure was arrested in Musselshell County and charged with three felonies and three misdemeanors-- for stealing two cars and then attempting to escape from the Musselshell County jail. In the hearing he was released on his own recognizance AFTER he broke away the sheriff and bolted toward an open door leading into the dispatch center before finally being restrained. What in the actual hell? 

-August of 2020, a petition was filed to revoke McClure’s release after he was arrested in Powell County on suspicion of robbery and inflicting bodily injury to another person-- another felony.

-March of this year 2021-- McClure went to trial in Musselshell County-- and made a deal to plead guilty to most of the charges against him. He was allowed to remain free pending sentencing, but then never showed up to complete pre-sentencing requirements despite having an ankle monitor.

Those are the crimes they listed. Who knows how many more he committed and was never caught for. 

This country is broken on so many levels and everyone either wants to pass the buck or point fingers at someone else. We all know this. We all know the politicians and elected law enforcement say what they will about police reform, crime prevention, gun control, war on drugs, etc., to get (re)elected. They'll appoint a task force to find the sex traffickers and drug smugglers and arms dealers and does anything ever change? No. This is what happens when people are not held accountable and not by their peers but by US; the citizens of our cities, counties and states who do nothing. 

I am not all about BLM and their rhetoric and tactics but I have to give credit where it's due. Their outrage may be fake but they make a lot of noise and they make things happen. I find them morally reprehensible but they have the attention of the world.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m so sorry for your loss! (((HUGS)))

That’s a horrible story. The guy never had to pay for his crimes so I’m sure he thought nothing was going to happen to him.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I can't understand why so many repeat offenders get chance after chance after chance. At a certain point, (3rd strike) they should be locked away for life.

I'm all for creating a system that reforms, but the burden should be on the criminal to prove they are reformed.

Sorry to hear this, Americus. Sounds like that county attorney should be held accountable.

“Musselshell County Sheriff Shawn Lesnik says he was disappointed that county attorney Kevin Peterson accepted a plea and allowed McClure to remain free before sentencing, “He should have been in custody. He proved time and time again that he wouldn’t follow requests.””

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 02:34 PM by KingIngram052787.)

(04-29-2021, 12:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Sorry to hear this, Americus. Sounds like that county attorney should be held accountable.

“Musselshell County Sheriff Shawn Lesnik says he was disappointed that county attorney Kevin Peterson accepted a plea and allowed McClure to remain free before sentencing, “He should have been in custody. He proved time and time again that he wouldn’t follow requests.””

Nope, remaining in custody, bail, and being responsible for your actions is racist and based on Jim Crow laws and white supremacy!

Americus, sorry about what happened to your family.

(04-29-2021, 11:21 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I wasn't sure how to title this because I'm still trying to process it all after my mom telling me about it yesterday. A cousin on my uncle's side of the family (by marriage) was carjacked and killed last week in Montana. Denny was 33 years old and married with two young children. He was minding his own business and two repeat offenders took his life for no. damn. reason. The man who killed him is listed by police as transient and had an arrest record spanning several jurisdictions, including Washington state. He was also a suspect in an April 19 shooting incident where he shot through the door of a home and the bullet hit a woman in the head; she survived. He is dead after a 9 hour standoff with police and a self-inflicted gunshot to the head. The woman was tasered after resisting arrest and is in jail on $500K bond. She is facing a homicide charge.

Link to most recent news story. 

They forced their way into his van after he refused them a ride and they beat him and shot him five times, killing him. 

This is why I'm angry.  And it's not because they had guns. 

Courts need to be held just as responsible for these criminals being able to continue committing the crimes as law enforcement should be at apprehending them in a manner that doesn't cause all hell to break loose. This guy was continually slipping through cracks in a system that seemed indifferent to his violent tendencies. I mean, he was wearing an ankle monitor for Christ's sake and what did they do after he didn't show up for a hearing? Did they do anything? Get the [BLEEP] off your [BLEEP] and go find him you [BLEEP] [BLEEP].  It's possible they lack the personnel and resources to keep track of every single person, I get that, but this was not a once or twice situation. 

-January of 2019, McClure was arrested in Musselshell County and charged with three felonies and three misdemeanors-- for stealing two cars and then attempting to escape from the Musselshell County jail. In the hearing he was released on his own recognizance AFTER he broke away the sheriff and bolted toward an open door leading into the dispatch center before finally being restrained. What in the actual hell? 

-August of 2020, a petition was filed to revoke McClure’s release after he was arrested in Powell County on suspicion of robbery and inflicting bodily injury to another person-- another felony.

-March of this year 2021-- McClure went to trial in Musselshell County-- and made a deal to plead guilty to most of the charges against him. He was allowed to remain free pending sentencing, but then never showed up to complete pre-sentencing requirements despite having an ankle monitor.

Those are the crimes they listed. Who knows how many more he committed and was never caught for. 

This country is broken on so many levels and everyone either wants to pass the buck or point fingers at someone else. We all know this. We all know the politicians and elected law enforcement say what they will about police reform, crime prevention, gun control, war on drugs, etc., to get (re)elected. They'll appoint a task force to find the sex traffickers and drug smugglers and arms dealers and does anything ever change? No. This is what happens when people are not held accountable and not by their peers but by US; the citizens of our cities, counties and states who do nothing. 

I am not all about BLM and their rhetoric and tactics but I have to give credit where it's due. Their outrage may be fake but they make a lot of noise and they make things happen. I find them morally reprehensible but they have the attention of the world.

Sadly this happens far too often.  It's just not widely reported.  It almost seems like criminals including illegal aliens have more rights than we do.

I am sorry for your loss.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-29-2021, 11:53 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'm all for creating a system that reforms, but the burden should be on the criminal to prove they are reformed.
I agree with this.  I also think that rehabilitation can't happen unless the whole society helps.  It's often impossible for ex-cons to get jobs.  It shouldn't be that way.
For instance, governments often have preferences for women owned and minority owned contractors.  Would it be better if government also gave preference to contractors that hire and help rehabilitate ex cons?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-29-2021, 06:56 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 11:53 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'm all for creating a system that reforms, but the burden should be on the criminal to prove they are reformed.
I agree with this.  I also think that rehabilitation can't happen unless the whole society helps.  It's often impossible for ex-cons to get jobs.  It shouldn't be that way.
For instance, governments often have preferences for women owned and minority owned contractors.  Would it be better if government also gave preference to contractors that hire and help rehabilitate ex cons?

Would you hire a convicted child molester that served his time to watch your kids?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dude, there's a balance here. That's taking the argument and running it straight off the cliff. The data suggests that after the age of 26, men are far less likely to commit violent crimes. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but we should be trying to rehabilitate people when they decide the want to move on. Also, I think Mike is correct. We should be looking to teach these people how to be productive members of society. However, we also need to face reality. There are a significant number that A) aren't going to reform no matter what, and B) lack the intellectual capacity to work almost any job. That's a unique problem. I know how to solve A, not really sure what to do with B.

(04-29-2021, 07:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 06:56 PM)mikesez Wrote: I agree with this.  I also think that rehabilitation can't happen unless the whole society helps.  It's often impossible for ex-cons to get jobs.  It shouldn't be that way.

Would you hire a convicted child molester that served his time to watch your kids?

Watching kids is the only government contracting job?
Child molestation is the only felony?
Be reasonable.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-29-2021, 12:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Sorry to hear this, Americus. Sounds like that county attorney should be held accountable.

Kevin Peterson will be receiving a letter soon. The judge will likely get one too. People will be held accountable, even if I'm the only one who shines the light on their spectacular failures, and they're the only ones who know about it. There is no excuse for this dereliction of duty.

(04-29-2021, 10:57 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Kevin Peterson will be receiving a letter soon. The judge will likely get one too. People will be held accountable, even if I'm the only one who shines the light on their spectacular failures, and they're the only ones who know about it. There is no excuse for this dereliction of duty.
Do whatever you can legally. I don't know if they have any personal liability but I hope you can go after them and the county in civil courts. Maybe it will set some pressure or precedent so DAs and judges are held responsible if they let violent offenders free.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(04-30-2021, 12:30 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 10:57 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Kevin Peterson will be receiving a letter soon. The judge will likely get one too. People will be held accountable, even if I'm the only one who shines the light on their spectacular failures, and they're the only ones who know about it. There is no excuse for this dereliction of duty.
Do whatever you can legally. I don't know if they have any personal liability but I hope you can go after them and the county in civil courts. Maybe it will set some pressure or precedent so DAs and judges are held responsible if they let violent offenders free.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

I am hoping his wife and/or parents sue the county for wrongful death or whatever legal term would fit this situation. When I told my husband what happened his first reaction was to ask if they were smoking crack because that level of incompetence is ridiculous. His next was to say he hopes the family sues them. 

I personally want them to be made an example of. A spotlight needs to be on them, their incompetence, and the same incompetence that pervades the legal system throughout this country. I'd bet money all the criminals we've seen publicized over the last year had similar trips through the justice system. The system fails everyone at every turn more often than not. Reform needs to happen across the board.

(04-29-2021, 07:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 06:56 PM)mikesez Wrote: I agree with this.  I also think that rehabilitation can't happen unless the whole society helps.  It's often impossible for ex-cons to get jobs.  It shouldn't be that way.

No but I would totally be inclined to hire a recovering drug addict to mow my lawn.  Perspective!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.