Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tim Tebow- Jags new TE (merged)

(07-27-2021, 10:47 AM)Race Bannon Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 10:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:  When a post harkens back to 2006 to validate Tebow getting the ball in the red zone you know it’s a winner.

Why do you guys monitor a thread about Tebow, his possible role in the team, etc., but then display no interest in actual posts about his football game?  2006 was the last window we have into (1) Tebow not as the quarterback, with a clear cut starter; and (2) Urban Meyer as the coach.  In a discussion about what possible interest Meyer could have, it's at least relevant.

We have a lot of information to get through over the next few weeks.  Even if Tebow is cut, there will be countless little tidbits to pointlessly post about.  I would encourage everybody to drop the dialog about "you are stupid, your post is stupid."  Let's all just stipulate that we absolutely could not care less about what the other guy thinks of us personally, and enjoy the tide of soap opera drama-droms.
Because posts referring to Tebow playing football from 2006 are irrelevant to the current situation considering it was 15 years ago.....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-27-2021, 10:47 AM)Race Bannon Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 10:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:  When a post harkens back to 2006 to validate Tebow getting the ball in the red zone you know it’s a winner.

Why do you guys monitor a thread about Tebow, his possible role in the team, etc., but then display no interest in actual posts about his football game?  2006 was the last window we have into (1) Tebow not as the quarterback, with a clear cut starter; and (2) Urban Meyer as the coach.  In a discussion about what possible interest Meyer could have, it's at least relevant.

We have a lot of information to get through over the next few weeks.  Even if Tebow is cut, there will be countless little tidbits to pointlessly post about.  I would encourage everybody to drop the dialog about "you are stupid, your post is stupid."  Let's all just stipulate that we absolutely could not care less about what the other guy thinks of us personally, and enjoy the tide of soap opera drama-droms.

I was mostly just trying to be funny.
It’s tough to discern sometimes since I’m such a condescending jerk in general.

Nonetheless, the degree to which many posters such as yourself assume he still possesses the various traits of athleticism he did in college is off charts. 

Anyway- I’m pulling for him while he wears teal and if he scores a TD this year I’ll replace my avatar with a Tebow image just so you understand I can still be a fan without agreeing with the wild optimism of the gator homers around here.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 12:00 PM by Race Bannon.)

(07-27-2021, 10:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 10:47 AM)Race Bannon Wrote: Why do you guys monitor a thread about Tebow, his possible role in the team, etc., but then display no interest in actual posts about his football game?  2006 was the last window we have into (1) Tebow not as the quarterback, with a clear cut starter; and (2) Urban Meyer as the coach.  In a discussion about what possible interest Meyer could have, it's at least relevant.

Nonetheless, the degree to which many posters such as yourself assume he still possesses the various traits of athleticism he did in college is off charts. 

Anyway- I’m pulling for him while he wears teal and if he scores a TD this year I’ll replace my avatar with a Tebow image just so you understand I can still be a fan without agreeing with the wild optimism of the gator homers around here.

I understand the skepticism based on the DURATION of time since 2006 (i.e. his age). As I've said before, it's the single biggest reason to think this can't work (Tebow's age). But the question on the table was a more general one about a wildcat/gadget formation, and why it would ever work. The question often comes up "Don't they know it's coming." It's a valid question, and one that particularly applies to any analysis of whether Tebow can contribute. After all, if his uses are limited, aren't they predictable? In that context, it is more relevant to consider examples from when the AGE of Tebow was not a factor. We have to be able to think about things separately -- there are some good arguments to be made against a wildcat or goal line package that have nothing to do with Tebow or the age of the back. And some good arguments in favor.

If we're in Wildcat then the QB is Laviska not grandpa.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 12:33 PM by Jag88.)

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks at this point. Let's just watch and let it all play out. That's probably too much to much to ask for. smh

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 12:36 PM by JagFan81.)

(07-27-2021, 08:25 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 10:40 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I agree with you. TE is a tough job, just look at guys like Gronk, Kelce, Kittle. Got to be tough in the trenches and able to make big plays with guys going for your knees. 

Ive seen people say about using him in short yardage and gadget plays but heres my question. If we take out Lawrence and put Timmy in for a play, isnt it kinda obvious its going to be a gadget play or a run?

Subsitute Drew Brees for TLaw and Taysom Hill for Teebs, and you just described the Aints for the past few years.

Brees comin off the field....stack the box, guys!

This is the closest comparison i can think of and Sean Payton was stubborn enough to run the ball 50 times in the regular season in the hope to get one deep pass from that play in the playoffs.

To have trick plays they need to be from formations you use anyway. In 2017 we get some real success on punt fakes as Corey Grant was on the field anyway and could genuinely surprise teams. I just dont see how Timmy can have kind of success or be able to trick teams.

(07-27-2021, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 09:55 AM)Race Bannon Wrote: That's sort of how Tebow got to be a fan favorite in the very beginning.  Some people think "Oh, people like Timmy because he's a Christian."  Or "they just like him because he got to be the quarterback in a very productive offense and was handed his success."

But I'm in my 50's -- I watched the whole thing from the very beginning (Gator grad).  It all started because Tebow would come in lined up in shotgun in short yardage situations.  He would exhort the crowd (drove haters nuts).  Every single man, woman, and child in the stadium, and watching at home (fans and opponents) knew his number was called for a run.  AND HE WOULD STILL PICK UP THE FIRST (or touchdown). 

He's just really, really good at that one thing.  Plus a direct snap run creates and extra blocker so it's an inherent advantage anyway -- the defense would be thinking the same thing if an RB was put in the wildcat, but it still creates a numbers advantage. 

The thing about Tebow playing TE is there could conceivably be other reasons for him to be on the field, and they shift to the wildcat.  So the defense cannot automatically assume the gadget/wildcat is on just because Tebow is on the field.  You could shift the formation to it.  But for that to work, he has to competently do some sort of job at TE when his number is not called (which remains to be seen).
Using college to validate Tebow running wildcat..... A tale as old as time.

Taking Lawrence off the field in any scenario is stupid and should be treated as such.

This is my thinking. I cant think theres a D out there that wouldnt be happy to see Lawrence walking off for a play.

I guess Minshew goes to sleep under his Tebow blankie, too …

Dude, every day — it’s so cool,” Minshew said. “Like, I throw him a touchdown and just the best thing ever. I was going crazy, just yelling, ‘Tim Tebow touchdown.’ Like, I had his jersey growing up. Like, I went to one of his games — actually shook his hand before a game. He doesn’t remember it, but something that’ll stick with me. He’s a pretty bad dude. But no, it’s so cool, man. And you meet him and he’s everything you’d want him to be and more. Like, it’s so cool.”

Minshew is being a good teammate. You're supposed to say nice things about other players on your team.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 03:52 PM by Pendragon.)

Sorry, bro. That is above and beyond. Your narrative doesn’t fly. Or, as you probably say in Jax, that dog just won’t hunt.

(07-27-2021, 03:52 PM)Pendragon Wrote: Sorry, bro.  That is above and beyond.  Your narrative doesn’t fly.  Or, as you probably say in Jax, that dog just won’t hunt.

My god... delusion must be fun. Seriously. I would love to look at the world and only see it the way I want it to be. I mean, you're insane - but gosh I'd love to see the world like that.

(07-27-2021, 03:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 03:52 PM)Pendragon Wrote: Sorry, bro.  That is above and beyond.  Your narrative doesn’t fly.  Or, as you probably say in Jax, that dog just won’t hunt.

My god... delusion must be fun. Seriously. I would love to look at the world and only see it the way I want it to be. I mean, you're insane - but gosh I'd love to see the world like that.

I was thinking the same thing.  Let's summarize.

Minshew:  I love the guy.

Pendragon:  Minshew loves the guy.

Candobetter:  Minshew didn't really mean it.

TrivialPursuit:  Pendragon is insane.

Umm, okay, bro.

(07-27-2021, 03:13 PM)Pendragon Wrote: I guess Minshew goes to sleep under his Tebow blankie, too …

Dude, every day — it’s so cool,” Minshew said. “Like, I throw him a touchdown and just the best thing ever. I was going crazy, just yelling, ‘Tim Tebow touchdown.’ Like, I had his jersey growing up. Like, I went to one of his games — actually shook his hand before a game. He doesn’t remember it, but something that’ll stick with me. He’s a pretty bad dude. But no, it’s so cool, man. And you meet him and he’s everything you’d want him to be and more. Like, it’s so cool.”

And?  Who's doubting he's a good person?

Good football player...or more specifically good TE...is another thing entirely.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021, 04:30 PM by Mikey.)

(07-27-2021, 10:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 10:47 AM)Race Bannon Wrote: Why do you guys monitor a thread about Tebow, his possible role in the team, etc., but then display no interest in actual posts about his football game?  2006 was the last window we have into (1) Tebow not as the quarterback, with a clear cut starter; and (2) Urban Meyer as the coach.  In a discussion about what possible interest Meyer could have, it's at least relevant.

Now I want to see Timmy grow the Swanson-stache and replicate your current avatar.

(07-27-2021, 12:32 PM)Jag88 Wrote: It doesn't matter what anyone thinks at this point. Let's just watch and let it all play out. That's probably too much to much to ask for.  smh

correct, everyone log off and see you in September.

(07-27-2021, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 09:55 AM)Race Bannon Wrote: That's sort of how Tebow got to be a fan favorite in the very beginning.  Some people think "Oh, people like Timmy because he's a Christian."  Or "they just like him because he got to be the quarterback in a very productive offense and was handed his success."

But I'm in my 50's -- I watched the whole thing from the very beginning (Gator grad).  It all started because Tebow would come in lined up in shotgun in short yardage situations.  He would exhort the crowd (drove haters nuts).  Every single man, woman, and child in the stadium, and watching at home (fans and opponents) knew his number was called for a run.  AND HE WOULD STILL PICK UP THE FIRST (or touchdown). 

He's just really, really good at that one thing.  Plus a direct snap run creates and extra blocker so it's an inherent advantage anyway -- the defense would be thinking the same thing if an RB was put in the wildcat, but it still creates a numbers advantage. 

The thing about Tebow playing TE is there could conceivably be other reasons for him to be on the field, and they shift to the wildcat.  So the defense cannot automatically assume the gadget/wildcat is on just because Tebow is on the field.  You could shift the formation to it.  But for that to work, he has to competently do some sort of job at TE when his number is not called (which remains to be seen).
Using college to validate Tebow running wildcat..... A tale as old as time.

Taking Lawrence off the field in any scenario is stupid and should be treated as such.

I'll lose a lot of faith in this coaching staff if Tebow even makes this 53 man roster, but I'll definitely lose all faith in this coaching staff if they were to take Lawrence off the field for Tebow, or put him in the game as a gadget player over Shenault, ETN, Robinson, or around 30 other players on this roster.

(07-27-2021, 12:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If we're in Wildcat then the QB is Laviska not grandpa.

Exactly, Schenault is better at pretty much everything, with some practice I bet he can throw the ball better.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(07-27-2021, 03:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

It's much more likely you guys are on opposite ends of the insanity bell curve.

(07-27-2021, 07:19 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 12:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If we're in Wildcat then the QB is Laviska not grandpa.

Exactly, Schenault is better at pretty much everything, with some practice I bet he can throw the ball better.

With some practice, YOU could probably throw the ball better than Tebow.

(07-28-2021, 09:56 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 07:19 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Exactly, Schenault is better at pretty much everything, with some practice I bet he can throw the ball better.

With some practice, YOU could probably throw the ball better than Tebow.

Let's not go too far. The guy is a world class athlete, he's just not a good NFL player. He would've made a great American Gladiator.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-27-2021, 06:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 10:45 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Using college to validate Tebow running wildcat..... A tale as old as time.

I'll lose a lot of faith in this coaching staff if Tebow even makes this 53 man roster, but I'll definitely lose all faith in this coaching staff if they were to take Lawrence off the field for Tebow, or put him in the game as a gadget player over Shenault, ETN, Robinson, or around 30 other players on this roster.

Well I'm sure losing your faith will mean a ton to them... And us.

Also there's no evidence to even think Tebow will be getting any snaps at QB, wildcat or otherwise.

He's fighting for a 4th TE spot, nothing more or less. Everyone should unwad their panties until given a reason to get them wadded.

(07-28-2021, 11:06 AM)Kane Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 06:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'll lose a lot of faith in this coaching staff if Tebow even makes this 53 man roster, but I'll definitely lose all faith in this coaching staff if they were to take Lawrence off the field for Tebow, or put him in the game as a gadget player over Shenault, ETN, Robinson, or around 30 other players on this roster.

Well I'm sure losing your faith will mean a ton to them... And us.

Also there's no evidence to even think Tebow will be getting any snaps at QB, wildcat or otherwise.

He's fighting for a 4th TE spot, nothing more or less. Everyone should unwad their panties until given a reason to get them wadded.

I think what most are concerned with is the nepotism displayed by the head coach rather than the actual player... then the Tebow homers showed up so... yea.