Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

One of my biggest concerns is how he will be utilized. I cited Reggie Bush as an example of receiving backs not having the kind of impact a high draft pick might warrant.

S how is the best way to measure Etienne's impact?

If the team is going to move him all over the place, certainly we can't expect him to have 350+ carries and rush for 1500 yards.

But how many touches should we expect him to get?

how many Carries?

How many catches?

How many TDs?

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on what to expect. I'm thinking maybe 150 carries and 40-60 catches.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-06-2021, 11:08 AM)Bullseye Wrote: One of my biggest concerns is how he will be utilized.  I cited Reggie Bush as an example of receiving backs not having the kind of impact a high draft pick might warrant.

If the team is going to move him all over the place, certainly we can't expect him to have 350+ carries and rush for 1500 yards.

how many Carries?

How many catches?

How many TDs?

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on what to expect.  I'm thinking maybe 150 carries and 40-60 catches.

I'm not sure anyone can answer that question with any certitude.  But what I would point out is that Urban Meyer's offense is supposedly very much like Clemson's offense.  And, UM needs the right pieces to run his offense.  And here is the guy that fits that role in the same offense, and in addition, he was running it with our new QB the last 3 years.  There's value and there's need, but there's also fit.  We can argue value or need, but we can't really argue fit.  Etienne fits what Urban Meyer wants to do on offense.  

So, in answer to your question, how do we measure the impact... one way to measure the impact that we cannot ignore is if Etienne allows Meyer's offense to run the way he wants it to run.  I think you're not far off with your 150 carries and 40-60 catches.  I'm not sure he will carry the ball that much unless Robinson gets injured.  I'm thinking 100 carries and 40-60 catches.  That's about 15 touches a game, but still, the important point to me is, does his presence allow the offense to run the way UM wants it to run.  Kadarius Toney would have done the same thing.

(05-06-2021, 11:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: People don't have a problem with Etienne, it's how high he was drafted. We had an every down RB in Robinson who was/is good. We needed a 3rd down, complimentary RB. Guys like Michael Carter, Kenneth Gainwell and Chuba Hubbard could have been effective in this role and would've been chosen much later in the draft, thus allowing us to fill a real need with an elite player. Etienne is a very good RB. He was my #2 rated runner, but for the role he was gonna fill in this offense, I don't see much difference what he brings to the table and what one of the other guys I mentioned would've brought. On the other hand, we could've gotten a better player at another position that could've made a much bigger impact. This choice is in no way an indictment of Etienne, I am pretty sure everyone likes him as a player. It just that the position could've been addressed much later and just as effectively with someone else.

I'm curious how you know what role he is going to fill on this offense since the season is still 4 months away.

I guess I'm assuming based on common sense. We already have a valuable commodity in James Robinson as a primary runner. He looked in his rookie season, like what the front office assumed Leonard Fournette would be when they drafted him. Robinson is a straight line runner with power and he showed pretty decent hands as well. What he lacks, is speed and the ability to break a long run, whether it be on the ground or through the air. That is where Etienne comes in. He fits the role of being that change of pace RB who can score long TD's in the running or passing game, but as far as a runner, he needs to hit the edges to break free. He's not an "up the gut" type runner. Robinson found success last season because that is where the power blocking is in our run scheme. We have a solid interior and he took advantage of it. Our OT'S are poor run blockers, so you run between the Tackles. 

If the team brought Etienne in to be the primary runner, not only are they disregarding the success that Robinson showed last season, but they are trying to make Etienne the primary RB, knowing he needs to hit the edge when our OT's are subpar in the run game. That's not a smart move. Etienne needs strong OT play to succeed and he's not getting that here. I believe he will have the type of role that I mentioned as a 3rd down RB and maybe they will make him a primary RB in a season or two, but they have to upgrade both OT spots for him to be very successful. His style of running is not conducive to the personnel we now have in order for him to be a successful primary RB.

(05-06-2021, 12:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 11:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I'm curious how you know what role he is going to fill on this offense since the season is still 4 months away.

I guess I'm assuming based on common sense. We already have a valuable commodity in James Robinson as a primary runner. He looked in his rookie season, like what the front office assumed Leonard Fournette would be when they drafted him. Robinson is a straight line runner with power and he showed pretty decent hands as well. What he lacks, is speed and the ability to break a long run, whether it be on the ground or through the air. That is where Etienne comes in. He fits the role of being that change of pace RB who can score long TD's in the running or passing game, but as far as a runner, he needs to hit the edges to break free. He's not an "up the gut" type runner. Robinson found success last season because that is where the power blocking is in our run scheme. We have a solid interior and he took advantage of it. Our OT'S are poor run blockers, so you run between the Tackles. 

If the team brought Etienne in to be the primary runner, not only are they disregarding the success that Robinson showed last season, but they are trying to make Etienne the primary RB, knowing he needs to hit the edge when our OT's are subpar in the run game. That's not a smart move. Etienne needs strong OT play to succeed and he's not getting that here. I believe he will have the type of role that I mentioned as a 3rd down RB and maybe they will make him a primary RB in a season or two, but they have to upgrade both OT spots for him to be very successful. His style of running is not conducive to the personnel we now have in order for him to be a successful primary RB.

So, in other words, you have no idea.  You're just guessing.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-06-2021, 11:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 11:08 AM)Bullseye Wrote: One of my biggest concerns is how he will be utilized.  I cited Reggie Bush as an example of receiving backs not having the kind of impact a high draft pick might warrant.

how many Carries?

How many catches?

How many TDs?

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on what to expect.  I'm thinking maybe 150 carries and 40-60 catches.

I'm not sure anyone can answer that question with any certitude.  But what I would point out is that Urban Meyer's offense is supposedly very much like Clemson's offense.  And, UM needs the right pieces to run his offense.  And here is the guy that fits that role in the same offense, and in addition, he was running it with our new QB the last 3 years.  There's value and there's need, but there's also fit.  We can argue value or need, but we can't really argue fit.  Etienne fits what Urban Meyer wants to do on offense.  

So, in answer to your question, how do we measure the impact... one way to measure the impact that we cannot ignore is if Etienne allows Meyer's offense to run the way he wants it to run.  I think you're not far off with your 150 carries and 40-60 catches.  I'm not sure he will carry the ball that much unless Robinson gets injured.  I'm thinking 100 carries and 40-60 catches.  That's about 15 touches a game, but still, the important point to me is, does his presence allow the offense to run the way UM wants it to run.  Kadarius Toney would have done the same thing.
Man I hope this isn't true. Clemsons offense was so bland. It just looked good because of Trevor.

I'm hoping that with Bevell and Schotty, they implement a lot more play action than in years past with some boot leg roll outs.

(05-06-2021, 12:27 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 11:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm not sure anyone can answer that question with any certitude.  But what I would point out is that Urban Meyer's offense is supposedly very much like Clemson's offense.  And, UM needs the right pieces to run his offense.  And here is the guy that fits that role in the same offense, and in addition, he was running it with our new QB the last 3 years.  There's value and there's need, but there's also fit.  We can argue value or need, but we can't really argue fit.  Etienne fits what Urban Meyer wants to do on offense.  

Man I hope this isn't true. Clemsons offense was so bland. It just looked good because of Trevor.

I'm hoping that with Bevell and Schotty, they implement a lot more play action than in years past with some boot leg roll outs.

It comes down to how much Bevell listens to Schotty. Because if it is up to Schotty, we will be airing the ball out all over the field.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Who would want something like this? Lol

https://twitter.com/PFF_Fantasy/status/1...05735?s=19

(05-06-2021, 10:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 11:28 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: People are so short sighted.  They went with best available player and he was on their board.  Just because we have James Robinson does not mean tailback should be eliminated.   Robinson missed some time with injury.  Do you want to have a rushing attack where Hyde is the starter if Robinson misses time?  At the very very little, ETN is an insurance policy.

People don't have a problem with Etienne, it's how high he was drafted. We had an every down RB in Robinson who was/is good. We needed a 3rd down, complimentary RB. Guys like Michael Carter, Kenneth Gainwell and Chuba Hubbard could have been effective in this role and would've been chosen much later in the draft, thus allowing us to fill a real need with an elite player. Etienne is a very good RB. He was my #2 rated runner, but for the role he was gonna fill in this offense, I don't see much difference what he brings to the table and what one of the other guys I mentioned would've brought. On the other hand, we could've gotten a better player at another position that could've made a much bigger impact. This choice is in no way an indictment of Etienne, I am pretty sure everyone likes him as a player. It just that the position could've been addressed much later and just as effectively with someone else.

He was drafted late first round. Late first early second was where he was projected. Who knows what role he'll fill. UM seems to have some idea that he'll be more than a role player.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-06-2021, 12:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Who would want something like this?  Lol

@as long as we can schedule Wake, FSU, Syrupcubes, and the like, the Jags should be fine.@

not necessarily saying either is not talented, but pump the brakes on those expectations.

(05-06-2021, 12:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I guess I'm assuming based on common sense. We already have a valuable commodity in James Robinson as a primary runner. He looked in his rookie season, like what the front office assumed Leonard Fournette would be when they drafted him. Robinson is a straight line runner with power and he showed pretty decent hands as well. What he lacks, is speed and the ability to break a long run, whether it be on the ground or through the air. That is where Etienne comes in. He fits the role of being that change of pace RB who can score long TD's in the running or passing game, but as far as a runner, he needs to hit the edges to break free. He's not an "up the gut" type runner. Robinson found success last season because that is where the power blocking is in our run scheme. We have a solid interior and he took advantage of it. Our OT'S are poor run blockers, so you run between the Tackles. 

So, in other words, you have no idea.  You're just guessing.

Hardly. A guess is just something pulled out of thin air. This is a hypothesis based on facts. While it's definitely not 100%, if you take the facts into account, it's a likelihood that his role will be that of a 3rd down RB. With that said, the team has made many errors in my lifetime which went totally against conventional wisdom, so I guess anything is possible.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 02:45 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-06-2021, 01:21 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: People don't have a problem with Etienne, it's how high he was drafted. We had an every down RB in Robinson who was/is good. We needed a 3rd down, complimentary RB. Guys like Michael Carter, Kenneth Gainwell and Chuba Hubbard could have been effective in this role and would've been chosen much later in the draft, thus allowing us to fill a real need with an elite player. Etienne is a very good RB. He was my #2 rated runner, but for the role he was gonna fill in this offense, I don't see much difference what he brings to the table and what one of the other guys I mentioned would've brought. On the other hand, we could've gotten a better player at another position that could've made a much bigger impact. This choice is in no way an indictment of Etienne, I am pretty sure everyone likes him as a player. It just that the position could've been addressed much later and just as effectively with someone else.

He was drafted late first round. Late first early second was where he was projected. Who knows what role he'll fill. UM seems to have some idea that he'll be more than a role player.

If he is gonna be used primarily as a receiver, that is great, but if Meyer is expecting him to be a great rusher behind this offensive line as it currently is, that will fail. Our strengths on the O-Line are within the interior. That set up perfectly for a power running game like we had with Robinson where he ran between the Tackles. Etienne is a speedy, outside rusher who needs key blocks from our OT's to spring free. Our current starting OT's SUCK at pass protecting and run blocking. I'm not saying Etienne can't be a very good every down RB in the future, but both OT spots need to be upgraded before that happens. As it stands, our O-Line is set up for Robinson to have more success as a rusher than Etienne. That's just facts. 

I want Etienne to succeed. I just think it would be smart to temper our expectations and play to our strengths right now. When you say Meyer thinks he will be more than a role player, he very well might...... in the future. Meyer maybe looking down the road, but for right now, the best strategy is to continue with the power run game.

(05-06-2021, 01:49 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Who would want something like this?  Lol

@as long as we can schedule Wake, FSU, Syrupcubes, and the like, the Jags should be fine.@

not necessarily saying either is not talented, but pump the brakes on those expectations.

Agreed. I can already see that a lot of people on this board are forming some very unrealistic expectations for this team and this offense for 2021. I predict there will be a lot of disappointed fans at the end of the season. Myself, I have no expectations what so ever. I just wanna see steady improvement throughout the year. I don't care about stats or wins and losses in 2021. I just wanna see a path to better days for this team. Rome wasn't built in a day.

(05-06-2021, 02:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 12:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So, in other words, you have no idea.  You're just guessing.

Hardly. A guess is just something pulled out of thin air. This is a hypothesis based on facts. While it's definitely not 100%, if you take the facts into account, it's a likelihood that his role will be that of a 3rd down RB. With that said, the team has made many errors in my lifetime which went totally against conventional wisdom, so I guess anything is possible.

How much you want to bet you are waaaaaaay wrong here?  Pretty faulty 'hypothesis' in my opinion.  But I guess we'll see.  That's why...you know...I actually wait until they play games.  Or maybe even one game.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 03:10 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-06-2021, 02:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 02:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hardly. A guess is just something pulled out of thin air. This is a hypothesis based on facts. While it's definitely not 100%, if you take the facts into account, it's a likelihood that his role will be that of a 3rd down RB. With that said, the team has made many errors in my lifetime which went totally against conventional wisdom, so I guess anything is possible.

How much you want to bet you are waaaaaaay wrong here?  Pretty faulty 'hypothesis' in my opinion.  But I guess we'll see.  That's why...you know...I actually wait until they play games.  Or maybe even one game.

I'm not betting. As I said, the team has gone against conventional wisdom in the past. They might do it again. That wouldn't surprise me if they did something that went against the strengths of the team. Logic would say, they should stick with the power run game, but who knows if they will use logic?

(05-06-2021, 03:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 02:54 PM)RicoTx Wrote: How much you want to bet you are waaaaaaay wrong here?  Pretty faulty 'hypothesis' in my opinion.  But I guess we'll see.  That's why...you know...I actually wait until they play games.  Or maybe even one game.

I'm not betting. As I said, the team has gone against conventional wisdom in the past. They might do it again. That wouldn't surprise me if they did something that went against the strengths of the team. Logic would say, they should stick with the power run game, but who knows if they will use logic?

I'd honestly like to know why 'logic' dictates that?

I would bet you'll see something more along the lines of a MJD/Fred Taylor split.

(05-06-2021, 01:49 PM)Mikey Wrote:

What's the expectations?  Do tell

Etienne has a tiny head. Does that mean he's gonna be a bust?

(05-06-2021, 03:24 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not betting. As I said, the team has gone against conventional wisdom in the past. They might do it again. That wouldn't surprise me if they did something that went against the strengths of the team. Logic would say, they should stick with the power run game, but who knows if they will use logic?

I'd honestly like to know why 'logic' dictates that?

I would bet you'll see something more along the lines of a MJD/Fred Taylor split.

Because the strength of the O-Line lies within the interior and the glaring weaknesses are on the exterior. It's not hard to figure out.

(05-06-2021, 03:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:24 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I'd honestly like to know why 'logic' dictates that?

Because the strength of the O-Line lies within the interior and the glaring weaknesses are on the exterior. It's not hard to figure out.

Well, that's to you anyway.  Not what the coaches seem to think (whether right or wrong).  So, as I said, flawed hypothesis.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021, 06:13 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(05-06-2021, 10:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 11:28 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: People are so short sighted.  They went with best available player and he was on their board.  Just because we have James Robinson does not mean tailback should be eliminated.   Robinson missed some time with injury.  Do you want to have a rushing attack where Hyde is the starter if Robinson misses time?  At the very very little, ETN is an insurance policy.

People don't have a problem with Etienne, it's how high he was drafted. We had an every down RB in Robinson who was/is good. We needed a 3rd down, complimentary RB. Guys like Michael Carter, Kenneth Gainwell and Chuba Hubbard could have been effective in this role and would've been chosen much later in the draft, thus allowing us to fill a real need with an elite player. Etienne is a very good RB. He was my #2 rated runner, but for the role he was gonna fill in this offense, I don't see much difference what he brings to the table and what one of the other guys I mentioned would've brought. On the other hand, we could've gotten a better player at another position that could've made a much bigger impact. This choice is in no way an indictment of Etienne, I am pretty sure everyone likes him as a player. It just that the position could've been addressed much later and just as effectively with someone else.

If you love a player you get him.  There is no guarantee ETN would of fallen out of the first round.  Do not forget that the team Drafted MJD when we still had Fred Taylor?

An interview about Travis Etienne: https://www.jaguars.com/news/coaches-cor...is-etienne
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The pick definitely made Trevor happy, that means something right? Not to mention he's a great back