Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tyson Campbell - Rd2, Pick 33

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2021, 08:12 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(09-21-2021, 08:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Thought Ramsey was overrated though....

Nobody has ever said Ramsey isn't good. You just pretend they have to justify defending him.

Ramsey was the 5th pick in the draft. He is supposed to be good.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

From Jordan de Lugo on Twitter:

"Tyson Campbell through four week in primary coverage:

21/26 (81%), 345 yards, 1 TD, 2 PBUs

This kid doesn’t stand a chance right now. He has the stickiness but ZERO ability at the catch point. I’m pulling for him, but this is tough to watch."

Those numbers...wow.

It's so wild to watch him blanket receivers but just never turn to locate the ball

Dude could be so good if he could figure that out, but... it might take more coaching than he's currently receiving

(10-02-2021, 07:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's so wild to watch him blanket receivers but just never turn to locate the ball

Dude could be so good if he could figure that out, but... it might take more coaching than he's currently receiving

Man, I'm not sure if that's a skill you can teach.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-02-2021, 07:53 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 07:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's so wild to watch him blanket receivers but just never turn to locate the ball

You may be right. 
As the weeks go by, it looks more and more that way.
Fingers crossed a light bulb goes off and we didn't blow a valuable pick.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 09:45 AM by Upper.)

(10-02-2021, 07:53 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

Carlton Davis is the poster boy. He had all of the tools except for skills at the catch point and in year 3 he finally developed them and now he's one of the best corners in the game.

Campbell is very similar to Carlton except for the lack of lateral movement skills. If he can develop into Carlton lite that would be a huge success to me.

(10-02-2021, 07:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 07:53 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Man, I'm not sure if that's a skill you can teach.

You may be right. 

It's insulting to the uga coaching staff to imply they wouldn't even attempt to teach a guy to look for the ball as a cornerback. It's likely they spent his entire time there trying to teach it to him. He's just a player with a severe limitation and an insanely bad draft pick at #33 overall.

(10-02-2021, 09:45 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 07:53 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Man, I'm not sure if that's a skill you can teach.

Carlton Davis is the poster boy. He had all of the tools except for skills at the catch point and in year 3 he finally developed them and now he's one of the best corners in the game.

Campbell is very similar to Carlton except for the lack of lateral movement skills. If he can develop into Carlton lite that would be a huge success to me.
Can we just call Todd Bowles lol

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 10:36 AM by Newton. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-02-2021, 10:01 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 07:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You may be right. 

It's insulting to the uga coaching staff to imply they wouldn't even attempt to teach a guy to look for the ball as a cornerback. It's likely they spent his entire time there trying to teach it to him. He's just a player with a severe limitation and an insanely bad draft pick at #33 overall.

I have to say, what we have seen so far has not been encouraging. However, we are only a couple of games until the guys rookie career, so the lightbulb may still come on. He does have elite treats otherwise. Nonetheless, I would have definitely preferred drafting Asaunte Samuel Junior, but I thought I might have been biased at the time since I was an FSU fan.

I’ll add, in general, I do not like drafting guys based on combine results, but rather based on how they actually play the game.

I think we should call up Rashean Mathis to be an assistant CB coach for Campbell and Claybrooks

I don't know any way to teach Campbell to turn and find the ball except for repeatedly running long pass plays against him in practice. Get CJ Beathard at QB, get some WR from the practice squad, put the 3 of them on a separate practice field, and run long pass plays until Campbell figures it out.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 11:21 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

To be fair on the deep pass to Chase he did get his head around to locate the ball he just got beat. Baby steps

He's got AJ Brown or Julio next week if they are heathy so it doesn't get any easier. Then 2 weeks after that he gets DK Metcalf lol

(10-02-2021, 10:01 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 07:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You may be right. 

LOL 
because every player comes out of college having been perfectly coached in all aspects

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 12:51 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

You can teach it. You can't teach speed though, but he has that. I would grill him in practice constantly until he gets it. Put your damn hands up and attack the ball

(10-02-2021, 12:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 10:01 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's insulting to the uga coaching staff to imply they wouldn't even attempt to teach a guy to look for the ball as a cornerback. It's likely they spent his entire time there trying to teach it to him. He's just a player with a severe limitation and an insanely bad draft pick at #33 overall.

LOL 
because every player comes out of college having been perfectly coached in all aspects

I remember years ago in college the first rule of optimization stressed to us was make the most common case fast. I have to imagine in coaching there's a similar tenet. Probably something like "work on fixing the worst problem first." This guy's worst problem has been that he can't play the ball, which is pretty debilitating to a corner in man to man coverage. Maybe he'd be okay in a purely zone scheme where he never had to stop looking at the quarterback and the ball, but he's terrible as a man corner.

Like I said, it's insulting to UGA's coaching staff to believe they wouldn't have noticed and tried to fix this problem already.

It reminds me of bad QBs with good measurables that kick around a few teams with everyone thinking they can fix the guy and they can't.

Can Campbell eventually get it? Maybe. I just think it's ridiculous to think coaching has been his problem, I'm sure he's been coached like crazy on this, and probably more than NFL coaches will even be allowed to do thanks to the limits on practical coaching time for NFL players.

(10-02-2021, 12:51 PM)Jag88 Wrote: You can teach it. You can't teach speed though, but he has that. I would grill him in practice constantly until he gets it. Put your damn hands up and attack the ball

This

(10-02-2021, 12:51 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 12:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL 

I remember years ago in college the first rule of optimization stressed to us was make the most common case fast. I have to imagine in coaching there's a similar tenet. Probably something like "work on fixing the worst problem first." This guy's worst problem has been that he can't play the ball, which is pretty debilitating to a corner in man to man coverage. Maybe he'd be okay in a purely zone scheme where he never had to stop looking at the quarterback and the ball, but he's terrible as a man corner.

Like I said, it's insulting to UGA's coaching staff to believe they wouldn't have noticed and tried to fix this problem already.

It reminds me of bad QBs with good measurables that kick around a few teams with everyone thinking they can fix the guy and they can't.

Can Campbell eventually get it? Maybe. I just think it's ridiculous to think coaching has been his problem, I'm sure he's been coached like crazy on this, and probably more than NFL coaches will even be allowed to do thanks to the limits on practical coaching time for NFL players.
Congratulations on all that non-linear correlation and imagining. 

The UGA coaches did well coaching him up on learning to read receivers hip movement and shadow or counter them. 

They had less success teaching him to locate the football. Im fine if that's insulting and i think it is very possible there could be valid blame laid at the feet of those coaches. 

Or maybe he has an individual issue with that aspect that good college coaching couldn't fix. 
Neither of is know which us more accurate. But enjoy your flimsy conviction.

(10-02-2021, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 12:51 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I remember years ago in college the first rule of optimization stressed to us was make the most common case fast. I have to imagine in coaching there's a similar tenet. Probably something like "work on fixing the worst problem first." This guy's worst problem has been that he can't play the ball, which is pretty debilitating to a corner in man to man coverage. Maybe he'd be okay in a purely zone scheme where he never had to stop looking at the quarterback and the ball, but he's terrible as a man corner.

Congratulations on all that non-linear correlation and imagining. 

The UGA coaches did well coaching him up on learning to read receivers hip movement and shadow or counter them. 

They had less success teaching him to locate the football. Im fine if that's insulting and i think it is very possible there could be valid blame laid at the feet of those coaches. 

Or maybe he has an individual issue with that aspect that good college coaching couldn't fix. 

The weirdest part isn't that he can't locate the football, as it's understandable that a guy maybe has trouble finding the football when it's already in the air. The weird part is that he almost never even turns his head to start looking, even when he's deep down field and he'd have time to try.

Anyway, maybe you're right, maybe he's never been coached to turn his head. Seems unlikely, but you're right that we'll probably never hear from his college coaches to get confirmation either way.

(10-02-2021, 01:14 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 01:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Congratulations on all that non-linear correlation and imagining. 

The weirdest part isn't that he can't locate the football, as it's understandable that a guy maybe has trouble finding the football when it's already in the air. The weird part is that he almost never even turns his head to start looking, even when he's deep down field and he'd have time to try.

Anyway, maybe you're right, maybe he's never been coached to turn his head. Seems unlikely, but you're right that we'll probably never hear from his college coaches to get confirmation either way.

He did on that long pass to Chark the other night, was just beat

(10-02-2021, 12:51 PM)Jag88 Wrote: You can teach it. You can't teach speed though, but he has that. I would grill him in practice constantly until he gets it. Put your damn hands up and attack the ball

Issue is that there is limited in season time to correct that. It is more of a off season regiment to fix it. 

Also I think y’all overestimate how much skill development college coaches look to provide players. Small things yes, but there is no time and way too many players for them to in depth dive and fix stuff for each guy. Plus at a place like Georgia, every CB recruit is highly rated, so you can just move to the next guy.