Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Grades - Replace Trevor with Zach Wilson

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 11:11 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

How much does your Draft Grade opinion change if the Jags weren't in the position to select Trevor Lawrence and actually had the #2 pick in the draft.

Please provide your draft grade with Trevor and then with Zach --- no explanation necessary.

With Trevor - Grade B+
With Zach - Grade C

• Round 1: No. 1 – Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson  Zach Wilson, QB BYU

• Round 1: No. 25 – Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

• Round 2: No. 33 – Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia

• Round 2: No. 45 – Walker Little, OT, Stanford

• Round 3: No. 65 – Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse 

• Round 4: No. 106 – Jay Tufele, DT, USC

• Round 4: No. 121 – Jordan Smith, DE, UAB

• Round 5: No. 145 – Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio State

• Round 6, pick 209 (from LAR) – Jalen Camp, WR, Georgia Tech

Once again .... Thank You Jets

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-03-2021, 11:10 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: How much does your Draft Grade opinion change if the Jags weren't in the position to select Trevor Lawrence and actually had the #2 pick in the draft.

Please provide your draft grade with Trevor and then with Zach --- no explanation necessary.

With Trevor - Grade B+
With Zach - Grade C

Good point.

I'd still have the same concerns with the other picks, but the difference between Trevor Lawrence and Wilson is enough to have an impact on the final grade.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

With Trevor Lawrence: C
With Zach Wilson: F

Lawrence/Etienne sort of makes sense, because Lawrence is familiar with him. Wilson/Etienne wouldn't make much sense when we've got James Robinson and Wilson isn't familiar with Etienne. So that'd knock the Etienne grade down a little. I'm not sold on Wilson as some people are. I think he's going to need some coaching. He definitely has potential, though. But he's not A+ grade like Lawrence in my opinion.

It wouldn't really change a thing for me. I had Lawrence and Wilson rated so closely that it wouldn't make a difference. I give this draft a C- with Lawrence and a C- with Wilson.

Well, the pick would've been Trey Lance not Wilson, so that makes it a different story too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-03-2021, 01:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Well, the pick would've been Trey Lance not Wilson, so that makes it a different story too.

That would've gotten the entire draft an F-.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 01:42 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(05-03-2021, 11:10 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: How much does your Draft Grade opinion change if the Jags weren't in the position to select Trevor Lawrence and actually had the #2 pick in the draft.

With Trevor - Grade B+
With Zach - Grade C

I think this draft has some good value and true boom/bust. I LOVE the Little, Cisco, and Camp picks. If even one turns into a good starter/star, it will be a home run draft assuming Trevor is who we think he is. I'm confident Etienne will give Trevor that solid dump-off valve he needs. 

Baalke seems to have a little "smartest guy in the room" complex ala Gene Smith, but at least he doesn't let his ego stoop to uncovering Division 2 gems. He'll be better than Gene Smith for that reason alone. If he can hit on first round picks, he'll be better than Caldwell. Time will tell. 

The Etienne pick, however, was the biggest d'oh moment. At #33, it would've been acceptable. It strikes me as Baalke's allowance for his boss's penchant for needing a shiny new toy. Urban was going to take a speed guy at #25 no matter what. Maybe that's the power share arrangement -- "Boss, you get one high pick every year to buy a new speed boat so I can keep my job -- I hope it works out for both of us." 

I would've liked a number of other players. 

1) Jenkins. Imagine having Jenkins and Little to push Taylor and Robinson! 
2) Barmore. The D-Line interior would be unbelievably stacked with Brown, Hamilton, Barmore, hyphenated guy, and Ward. But I guess he wasn't a consideration given the D-line money invested in free agency. Tufele is easier to cut than Barmore if he becomes the odd man out.
3) Moehring. This was mitigated by nabbing Cisco, who could arguably be the better player if he stays on the field. 

I also didn't like the Campbell and Farrell picks. Either Henderson is giving vibes of being a head case or Campbell must've been a pure demand pick from Cullen because he wants bump and run corners. There were better players on the board, like the above three. Farrell was inexcusable with the Miami TE there for the taking. What this tells us is Urbs and Bevel want a power running offense with some gadget plays, like Seattle had in Russell Wilson's first few years before he was allowed to sling it.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(05-03-2021, 01:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Well, the pick would've been Trey Lance not Wilson, so that makes it a different story too.

Imo Meyer and Baalke would have drafted Fields at #2
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(05-03-2021, 01:50 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

I agree that seems like the choice. In both case C is the grade. I think we wasted having the first pick in every round. Anyone know if teams didn't want to trade with us? I can't believe we had zero opportunities to trade down.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

IMO Meyer is still on Fox Sports in a universe where we were drafting #2, and we have an entirely different General Manager than Trent Baalke (or at least I hope so for our alternate selves sakes.)

Again, I would've graded that one an F-.

I can buy that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-03-2021, 08:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 01:50 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Imo Meyer and Baalke would have drafted Fields at #2

I can buy that.

Unlikely. Wilson would have been the pick at #2. Meyer/Baalke have shown a willingness to take some risks and while Fields will end up being a good player, no way he would have gone that high with better options available.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

With Trevor - Grade B+
With Zach - Grade C

So there's a number of ways this could have played out.

Actual (R1 P1 TLaw) - I gave it a C, noting that TLaw's pick is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for that grade.
Hypothetical (R1 P1 Wilson) - I'd give it a D, as we probably could have worked out a trade if we didn't want TLaw, and sacrificed some value.
Proposed (trade w/Jets for at least another 1st round pick, R1 P2 Wilson) - I'd give it a C+ to B-, depending on what we did with the extra pick or how many picks we netted in the deal.

(05-04-2021, 07:27 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 08:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I can buy that.

Unlikely. Wilson would have been the pick at #2. Meyer/Baalke have shown a willingness to take some risks and while Fields will end up being a good player, no way he would have gone that high with better options available.

Said about the guys who took a RB in the 1st round...

(05-04-2021, 10:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 07:27 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Unlikely. Wilson would have been the pick at #2. Meyer/Baalke have shown a willingness to take some risks and while Fields will end up being a good player, no way he would have gone that high with better options available.

Said about the guys who took a RB in the 1st round...

Odd given our needs but hard to think of Etienne as a risk. Most evals had him late first round/early second round at the latest.

(05-04-2021, 11:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 10:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Said about the guys who took a RB in the 1st round...

Odd given our needs but hard to think of Etienne as a risk. Most evals had him late first round/early second round at the latest.

It's sort of a risk in terms of value at #25. 

Because there were highly rated players available at positions of need that are traditionally placed in a priority tier above RB.  (edge rusher being the obvious example)
He's valuable, but is he valuable enough to pass on those players? We'll see.

(05-04-2021, 11:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 10:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Said about the guys who took a RB in the 1st round...

And yet better options were available, RB that high on a team that has holes everywhere really was a luxury pick by a destitute team.

(05-04-2021, 11:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2021, 11:08 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Odd given our needs but hard to think of Etienne as a risk. Most evals had him late first round/early second round at the latest.

It's sort of a risk in terms of value at #25. 

Because there were highly rated players available at positions of need that are traditionally placed in a priority tier above RB.  (edge rusher being the obvious example)
He's valuable, but is he valuable enough to pass on those players?  We'll see.

Maybe a little over drafted but not so much proving Meyer's enough of a risk taker that he would have drafted Fields at #2. At least I don't think he would have. Fields may be a good player but he's way more boom or bust than ETN.

Yaaasss! Let’s replace the best quarterback prospect with a less than stellar one! Then, we’ll grade it and complain about it.