Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cyber attack shuts down largest US gasoline pipeline

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 06:42 PM by TLawIsEnforced.)

Saw yellow on pumps while on errands around noon today....ones that i could see.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We have some pathetic weak infrastructure and security for allegedly the world's only remaining Superpower.

China has better roads and bridges than us... and I don't see their pipelines being hacked.

We as a nation are pathetically stagnant. We're complacent and it shows. This pipeline should have been fixed immediately. We are the first of the first world nations.

(05-12-2021, 12:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 11:50 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: So who's ready to get solar panels, or a wind turbine, and an electric car so they can stop living on their knees at the mercy of big oil?

Will solar panels charge my electric car and allow me to live 100% off the grid?

Will wind turbines work in freezing weather? Asking for a friend in Texas. 

Will democratic politicians try out the first solar powered jets?

Most residential solar systems are designed to be hooked up to the grid, but many are not. Tesla's Powerwall system is designed to take you off the grid.

Wind turbines are often equipped with antifreeze systems. It's just that a lot of folks in Texas didn't think this would be necessary.

You've been told these things before on this very forum, I'm sure you'll choose to ignore them once again.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 02:21 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(05-12-2021, 02:14 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 12:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Will solar panels charge my electric car and allow me to live 100% off the grid?

Will wind turbines work in freezing weather? Asking for a friend in Texas. 

Will democratic politicians try out the first solar powered jets?

Most residential solar systems are designed to be hooked up to the grid, but many are not. Tesla's Powerwall system is designed to take you off the grid.

Wind turbines are often equipped with antifreeze systems. It's just that a lot of folks in Texas didn't think this would be necessary.

You've been told these things before on this very forum, I'm sure you'll choose to ignore them once again.

No logical free-thinking human being wants an energy system with a 20 year ROI.

Edit: Not to mention, within that time period, the equipment will break and need to be repaired.

Face it Mike. People require fossil fuels to charge their environment saving EV's.

Baaaaaaaaaa

(05-12-2021, 02:17 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 02:14 PM)mikesez Wrote: Most residential solar systems are designed to be hooked up to the grid, but many are not. Tesla's Powerwall system is designed to take you off the grid.

No logical free-thinking human being wants an energy system with a 20 year ROI.

Edit: Not to mention, within that time period, the equipment will break and need to be repaired.

Face it Mike. People require fossil fuels to charge their environment saving EV's.

Baaaaaaaaaa

Yet more solar is installed in FL every single day.  Maybe your math is off? Shrug.

Maybe, even if 100% if your electricity comes from natural gas, using an EV charged that way still emits less CO2 than any other vehicle type?

Also, aren't you forgetting about areas that have nuclear and hydroelectric power in the US?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

[Image: BCC35-D20-E2-F5-4753-A103-E22-EDA52-B106.jpg]
susan cohan
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 05:46 PM by Jags.)

I “panick” bought today.  Our normal, literally “Daily”, gas station was fresh out of gas in the am.  I topped both trucks, all the mowers and (8)5 gallon cans and (2) 5 gallon cans mixed with oil.  So about 85 or so gallons today and 250 bucks(I’m guessing, didn’t check the receipts or update program yet)  later, I know I’m set for a week or two in case it does get to a real shortage.  If I don’t have gas, I can’t work.  That’s pretty much all we do is burn it.

(05-12-2021, 05:45 PM)Jags Wrote: I “panick” bought today.  Our normal, literally “Daily”, gas station was fresh out of gas in the am.  I topped both trucks, all the mowers and (8)5 gallon cans and (2) 5 gallon cans mixed with oil.  So about 85 or so gallons today and 250 bucks(I’m guessing, didn’t check the receipts or update program yet)  later, I know I’m set for a week or two in case it does get to a real shortage.  If I don’t have gas, I can’t work.  That’s pretty much all we do is burn it.

A business like yours isn't panic buying IMO. If you don't have gas you don't work. Pretty simple.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 06:12 PM by Jags.)

(05-12-2021, 05:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 05:45 PM)Jags Wrote: I “panick” bought today.  Our normal, literally “Daily”, gas station was fresh out of gas in the am.  I topped both trucks, all the mowers and (8)5 gallon cans and (2) 5 gallon cans mixed with oil.  So about 85 or so gallons today and 250 bucks(I’m guessing, didn’t check the receipts or update program yet)  later, I know I’m set for a week or two in case it does get to a real shortage.  If I don’t have gas, I can’t work.  That’s pretty much all we do is burn it.

A business like yours isn't panic buying IMO. If you don't have gas you don't work. Pretty simple.

That’s why I put panic in quotes.  I  mispelled it cuz I’m dumb, haha.  

But yeah, I don’t regret it a bit.  We’ll definitely run through it if it was not warranted.  Heck, I may even buy more if I can get the cans.  I’ve got a neighbor that has 4 or so of the nice metal ones and he happens to be moving cross the pond and selling everything off.

Slightly funny story.. while asking my neighbor if he still had his gas cans I forgot he had the metal ones.  I text him “how much per”.  He comes back with 25.  I was thinking he had the plastic ones.  I wasn’t sure to text back that he can go [BLEEP] himself, shove a spout up his [BLEEP] or not reply.  So I asked him if they we’re already full.  My way of saying go screw yourself.   Then it dawned on me he showed them to me a few weeks back and they were the good ones. And as it turns out... a couple have gas in it. Idk if  I’ll buy them or not.  If this is a week thing I’ll be good.

Yeah I think I'm going to panic buy as well.

All this gas panic buying, I'm glad my wife saves her plastic grocery bags..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(05-12-2021, 06:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: All this gas panic buying, I'm glad my wife saves her plastic grocery bags..

I saw that video as well.  Filling a freaking target bag up.  Lifts it up, leaking like a sieve, decides to double bag and thinks about a triple bag.  Places it in her small suv.  I’m sure she had a decent headache after breathing those fumes in after it got all into the interior of her car.  That and storage bins.  People are freaking stupid.  I’m willing to place money that those doing that, voted for this regime

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 06:54 PM by mal234.)

(05-12-2021, 10:13 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 01:41 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Need to stock up on food if you haven't. If you are already out of fuel, trucks won't be making deliveries and you know how quickly stores run out of stuff during hurricanes.

They shut pumps down before it even happened and supposedly didn't even need to shut down. I know the upstream side of the business more but most of the industry is still manual with mostly the monitoring being done remotely. They could still run the pipeline manually if they wanted.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

We filled up Sunday. Only my husband has to really worry since his commute to work is 50 miles one way. His car is fuel efficient but still uses that gas. He may switch to the motorcycle (weather permitting) if this gets too stupid. This morning some stations were refilled but that may not last long. The pipeline runs through NC so folks here are panicking. A lot of soldiers stationed at Fort Bragg live here and that's an hour long commute one way so they are definitely concerned.

We definitely have food. We prep for hurricanes and winter storms here so we're good for a little while. I learned how to pressure can food last year and we have a food dehydrator that gets used often. I have to say pressure canned chicken breasts, thighs and tenders look funny floating in the mason jars. Like science experiments. Lol. I have yet to pressure can steaks. I just keep those frozen. I did can ground beef though. 

I keep more on hand than I used to thanks to 2020. Going to stores and seeing no meat, no soup, no nothing on shelves was disconcerting so I bought the pressure canner and jars and started canning what I could find when I could find it. It came in handy several times and still does when power goes out and it's raining so I can't fire up the grill, or I need a meal ASAP.

My car is about 3/4 of the way full. Got the gas a few days ago. As far as I know we are still all out of gas here where I live in NC. Or at least we were yesterday, when I rode around a little and saw if some of the stations had gas. The ones I saw were all empty. Panic buying is pretty bad here, though that is probably the case a lot of places. 

I recently have gotten an opportunity to do work from home for a little bit so that will help me with this gas shortage/panic buying for the time being. I hope that things get under control & we won't be dealing with gas shortages/panic buying longer term. That will present a problem for a lot of people, especially people who have to commute long distances to get to work. I am near multiple military bases here and I know people, (and have had co-workers on the base) who have long commutes. I know someone who usually drives at least two hours each day (one way, and four hours total) to work on the base. Their job pays better than other jobs that are in the town they live in. There are quite a few people who work on the bases here/for the government who have longer commutes including people I've worked with at governmental job. I feel bad for people like that right now, especially if they don't have an adequate supply of gas and/or aren't able to do work remotely at least a little bit. They are in a real bind, because they won't be able to get to work. Some of them have saved up a nice amount of leave, so maybe they can use that while this is going on. And hopefully it won't last much longer, or it will hurt a lot of people in the workforce.

Also, I'm not too worried about food right now, though I will keep my eyes on things. There are a lot of grocery stores here and if push comes to shove, I can scrounge around a bit for certain items like meat, if people panic buy stuff like that, like they did when Covid first started. So far though, the grocery stores here have been well stocked with food, and I haven't seen the panic buying there. But that might change some, if we continue to have gas shortage/panic buying with the gas.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 06:43 PM by Jags.)

(05-12-2021, 06:23 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

Yeah I think I'm going to panic buy as well.

I don’t blame you.  I’m sure you go through just as much or more than we do.  Have you seen shortages in your area?  Or, I guess most of your stuff runs off diesel.  Either way, wouldn’t hurt to buy extra to keep the operation going

(05-12-2021, 06:41 PM)Jags Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 06:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: All this gas panic buying, I'm glad my wife saves her plastic grocery bags..

I saw that video as well.  Filling a freaking target bag up.  Lifts it up, leaking like a sieve, decides to double bag and thinks about a triple bag.  Places it in her small suv.  I’m sure she had a decent headache after breathing those fumes in after it got all into the interior of her car.  That and storage bins.  People are freaking stupid.  I’m willing to place money that those doing that, voted for this regime

[Image: F35-DDC98-D592-46-B3-B978-3737-C84-CBA03.jpg]

(05-12-2021, 06:54 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 06:41 PM)Jags Wrote: I saw that video as well.  Filling a freaking target bag up.  Lifts it up, leaking like a sieve, decides to double bag and thinks about a triple bag.  Places it in her small suv.  I’m sure she had a decent headache after breathing those fumes in after it got all into the interior of her car.  That and storage bins.  People are freaking stupid.  I’m willing to place money that those doing that, voted for this regime

I'm telling my kids this is mikesez.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2021, 07:03 PM by Jags.)

(05-12-2021, 06:41 PM)Jags Wrote: I saw that video as well.  Filling a freaking target bag up.  Lifts it up, leaking like a sieve, decides to double bag and thinks about a triple bag.  Places it in her small suv.  I’m sure she had a decent headache after breathing those fumes in after it got all into the interior of her car.  That and storage bins.  People are freaking stupid.  I’m willing to place money that those doing that, voted for this regime

Yep, I see the “Biden Harris” sticker.  It’s under her left rear butt cheeks.

[Image: image2cheechchongnextmovie.jpg]
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

[Image: 5-B4101-A7-B799-4-A5-C-A423-808-A7574202-A.jpg]

(05-12-2021, 07:06 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [Image: 5-B4101-A7-B799-4-A5-C-A423-808-A7574202-A.jpg]
Is that the guy I just hired??? Damn it, man!