Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
AFC South Positional Rankings-Offense

Something to pass the time and hopefully spark debate/discussion

Quarterback
1.        Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee-has had a complete rebirth after fizzling out with Miami.  This shows what having a surrounding cast can do for a QB, as he fits nicely in the Tennessee play action heavy system.  It’ll be interesting to see how the departures of OC Arthur Smith, TE Jonnu Smith, and WR Corey Davis will affect his production.

2.       Carson Wentz, Indianapolis-Trying to have a similar rebirth with the Colts as Tannehill had with the tacks.  Has a good OL and coaching in Indy.  Can he shake the turnover and injury bugs?

3.       Tyrod Taylor, Houston-Has to know he is a stop gap.  But for how long?  For whom?  Mobile, but does not take chances with the ball at all…often to the ofense’s detriment.

4.       Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville.  Only in this spot because he is a rookie.  Big things expected from him and he has the tools to deliver.  Does he have enough help around him?  If so, he could very easily be at the top of this list by this time next year.

Running back
1.        Derrick Henry, Tennessee-can be flat out unstoppable once he gets going with his combination of size, power and speed.  The stuff of Jaguars nightmares.  Of all the tack RBs to torment the Jaguars over the years, he has been the one I least want to face.

2.       Jonathan Taylor, Indianapolis-Got on a roll behind that offensive line.  Has a bright future.

3.       James Robinson, Jacksonville-a most pleasant surprise.  While not a breakaway threat, had some long TD runs called back due to holding.  Suffered from being on a bad team.

4.       Mark Ingram, Houston.  New Texans coach Culley brought him with him from Baltimore.  Not much left in the tank.

5.  Phillip Lindsey, Houston.  Not the biggest guy, but has some wiggle.  Production dipped last year after two 1000 yard seasons.

6.       Travis Etienne, Jacksonville-the wildcard in the division.  Has all kinds of explosiveness, but how will he be utilized?

Wide Receiver
1.        A.J. Brown, Tennessee-is a star in the making, and could prove to be one of the best ever in franchise history.  Question is with the departure of Davis and Jonnu Smith, who will take attention away from him?

2.       D.J. Chark, Jacksonville-Has good size and speed.  Can really get deep.  Had lots of blown opportunities where he won on routes but didn’t have a QB who could consistently get him the ball.  Look for him to explode with Trevor Lawrence throwing him the ball

3.       Michael Pittman, Indianapolis-Good size and speed.  A good young target for Wentz.

4.       Brandin Cooks, Houston-Has blazing speed, but not much size.  Can’t stay healthy, nor can hecarry a receiving corps by himself.  I expect WR to be an early emphasis next offseason for Houston, whether in free agency or the draft.  Also expect his numbers to drop with Tyrod Taylor and Mills throwing him the ball as opposed to Watson.

5.       T.Y. Hilton, Indy-The end is nearing for him

6.       Randall Cobb, Houston-the end is nearing for him.

7.       Marvin Jones-End is nearing for him too, but will have more life in the Jaguars’ offense than Cobb or Hilton.

8.       Laviska Shenault, Jacksonville-can he stay healthy?  If so, will see his numbers improve with Trevor Lawrence.

9.       Chris Conley, Houston-was so so for Jacksonville the last couple of years.  Can get deep despite torn Achilles a few years back.  Maddening inconsistency in hands.

10.   Keke Coutee, Houston-the latest in along line of diminutive WRs in Houston.  Offers nothing that Cooks and Cobb don’t already offer, except youth.

Tight Ends-probably the weakest position in the division.
1.        Jack Doyle, Indianapolis-a good red zone target and chain mover

2.       Firkser, TitansNothing special, but competent

3.       Darren Fells, Texans

4.       Mo Alie-Cox, Indianapolis-a good receiving target

5.       James O’Shaugnessey, Jacksonville-just a guy

Left Tackle
1.        Laremy Tunsil, Houston-Not sure he’s worth the two first round picks Houston gave up to get him, but he is quite talented and thus far has proven to be more deurable than Taylor Lewan.

2.       Taylor Lewan, Tennessee-would have the top spot here but for his injuries and suspension.  An outstanding tackle, though.

3.       Cam Robinson, Jacksonville-Not that I am a huge fan of his, because I’m not.  In fact, I think he can be upgraded.  However, being two seasons removed from his knee injury, he is healthier than…

4.       Eric Fisher, Indianapolis-if he had torn his ACL, I would rank him above Robinson and I would feel better about his recovery.  However, he tore his Achilles and did so late January.  Will he even be available in October?  Will he be anywhere close to where he was pre injury?

Left Guard
1.        Quentin Nelson, Indianapolis-the most dominant left guard the league has seen since Larry Allen.  Will go down as an all time great at the position by the time all is said and done, taking his place among the Gene Upshaws, John Hannahs, Larry Allens and Steve Hutchinsons.  I can’t say enough about him.

2.       Andrew Norwell, Jacksonville-while he hasn’t achieved the lofty All Pro status he achieved in Carolina, he has been good and mostly consistent.

3.       Rodger Saffold, Tennessee

4.       Max Scharping, Houston –one of the two OL they reached for early a couple of years back.  Has struggled transitioning to the pros.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Center
1.        Ryan Kelly, Indianapolis-former first rounder anchors the best OL in the division

2.       Brandon Linder, JacksonvilleA solid veteran who can be counted on for consistent blocking and missing a couple of games a year with injury.

3.       Ben Jones, Tennessee-Solid but unspectacular C.

4.       Houston-Who knows what the Texans will do at this position, having cut their starter from last year.

Right Guard

1.       Nate Davis, Tennessee-has become a nice, power RG.

2.       Mark Glowinski, Indianapolis-okay.  Nothing special.

3.       A.J. Cann, Jacksonville-long deemed a liability by Jaguars fans, he actually had a decent year last year.

4.       Zach Fulton, Houston-like most of the rest of this devision, nothing special.

Right Tackle

1.        Brandon Smith, Indianapolis-Taken in the 2nd round the same year Nelson was taken, he is the best RT in the division.

2.       Tytus Howard, Houston-a big time reach in the first round a couple of years back, has settled in at RT and played decently last year.

3.       Jawaan Taylor, Jacksonville-has been a disappointment after being taken in the 2nd round.  Does not have the feet to play outside, and his power does not seem obvious outside.  Perhaps his best fit is at G.

4.       Dillon Radunz, Tennessee-2nd round draft pick this year who gets this ranking due to his status as a rookie.  Has good feet and should be a good fit at RT for the tacks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Kind of a cop out to just put the rookies at the bottom. Let's put some projection into this. I think Lawrence will immediately be the 2nd best QB in the division this year. Etienne will be the 4th best RB. I could see Nico Collins immediately making an impact for the Texans too. Would still have him low, but higher than Cobb or Coutee. Lastly, Radunz would be my 2nd RT right away.

As far as the actual ranks, I think they're quite solid. I would move Mo Alie Cox to 2nd (hell, maybe first he's really good), I think the Colts have the two best TE in the division. I would move Marvin Jones up some too. He should be on par with Cooks, maybe ahead since Cooks has the major injury questions. I think Parris Campbell deserves a mention too. Obviously he's been injured most of his career, but when he has been healthy his talent looks like it would be in the top 6 or so range on that list. It's actually kinda crazy how easy it was to rank the olines. Don't think I disagree with any of it except the Radunz cop out.

(05-14-2021, 10:52 PM)Upper Wrote: Kind of a cop out to just put the rookies at the bottom. Let's put some projection into this. I think Lawrence will immediately be the 2nd best QB in the division this year. Etienne will be the 4th best RB. I could see Nico Collins immediately making an impact for the Texans too. Would still have him low, but higher than Cobb or Coutee. Lastly, Radunz would be my 2nd RT right away.

As far as the actual ranks, I think they're quite solid. I would move Mo Alie Cox to 2nd (hell, maybe first he's really good), I think the Colts have the two best TE in the division. I would move Marvin Jones up some too. He should be on par with Cooks, maybe ahead since Cooks has the major injury questions. I think Parris Campbell deserves a mention too. Obviously he's been injured most of his career, but when he has been healthy his talent looks like it would be in the top 6 or so range on that list. It's actually kinda crazy how easy it was to rank the olines. Don't think I disagree with any of it except the Radunz cop out.

I put rookies typically at the bottom because they are totally unproven.  If I were going on potential, many of the rookies would rank much higher, with the obvious example being Trevor Lawrence.  I actually agree with most of your rookie projections.

Thinking about it, reflexively ranking the rookies towards the bottom of the rankings is inconsistent to a degree, because I have Chark's production going up because of Lawrence, but have Cook's production dropping because of Taylor and Mills.  However, I rank them that way to minimize the possible impact of bias/homerism in my rankings.  It could be quite easy to see the potential in the Jaguars picks while being less cognizant of the potential in other team's picks.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2021, 07:07 AM by I am Yoda.)

(05-14-2021, 10:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Something to pass the time and hopefully spark debate/discussion

Quarterback
1.        Ryan Tannehill, Tennessee-has had a complete rebirth after fizzling out with Miami.  This shows what having a surrounding cast can do for a QB, as he fits nicely in the Tennessee play action heavy system.  It’ll be interesting to see how the departures of OC Arthur Smith, TE Jonnu Smith, and WR Corey Davis will affect his production.

2.       Carson Wentz, Indianapolis-Trying to have a similar rebirth with the Colts as Tannehill had with the tacks.  Has a good OL and coaching in Indy.  Can he shake the turnover and injury bugs?

3.       Tyrod Taylor, Houston-Has to know he is a stop gap.  But for how long?  For whom?  Mobile, but does not take chances with the ball at all…often to the ofense’s detriment.

4.       Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville.  Only in this spot because he is a rookie.  Big things expected from him and he has the tools to deliver.  Does he have enough help around him?  If so, he could very easily be at the top of this list by this time next year.

Running back
1.        Derrick Henry, Tennessee-can be flat out unstoppable once he gets going with his combination of size, power and speed.  The stuff of Jaguars nightmares.  Of all the tack RBs to torment the Jaguars over the years, he has been the one I least want to face.

2.       Jonathan Taylor, Indianapolis-Got on a roll behind that offensive line.  Has a bright future.

3.       James Robinson, Jacksonville-a most pleasant surprise.  While not a breakaway threat, had some long TD runs called back due to holding.  Suffered from being on a bad team.

4.       Mark Ingram, Houston.  New Texans coach Culley brought him with him from Baltimore.  Not much left in the tank.

5.  Phillip Lindsey, Houston.  Not the biggest guy, but has some wiggle.  Production dipped last year after two 1000 yard seasons.

6.       Travis Etienne, Jacksonville-the wildcard in the division.  Has all kinds of explosiveness, but how will he be utilized?

Wide Receiver
1.        A.J. Brown, Tennessee-is a star in the making, and could prove to be one of the best ever in franchise history.  Question is with the departure of Davis and Jonnu Smith, who will take attention away from him?

2.       D.J. Chark, Jacksonville-Has good size and speed.  Can really get deep.  Had lots of blown opportunities where he won on routes but didn’t have a QB who could consistently get him the ball.  Look for him to explode with Trevor Lawrence throwing him the ball

3.       Michael Pittman, Indianapolis-Good size and speed.  A good young target for Wentz.

4.       Brandin Cooks, Houston-Has blazing speed, but not much size.  Can’t stay healthy, nor can hecarry a receiving corps by himself.  I expect WR to be an early emphasis next offseason for Houston, whether in free agency or the draft.  Also expect his numbers to drop with Tyrod Taylor and Mills throwing him the ball as opposed to Watson.

7.       Marvin Jones-End is nearing for him too, but will have more life in the Jaguars’ offense than Cobb or Hilton.

8.       Laviska Shenault, Jacksonville-can he stay healthy?  If so, will see his numbers improve with Trevor Lawrence.

9.       Chris Conley, Houston-was so so for Jacksonville the last couple of years.  Can get deep despite torn Achilles a few years back.  Maddening inconsistency in hands.

10.   Keke Coutee, Houston-the latest in along line of diminutive WRs in Houston.  Offers nothing that Cooks and Cobb don’t already offer, except youth.

Left Tackle
1.        Laremy Tunsil, Houston-Not sure he’s worth the two first round picks Houston gave up to get him, but he is quite talented and thus far has proven to be more deurable than Taylor Lewan.

2.       Taylor Lewan, Tennessee-would have the top spot here but for his injuries and suspension.  An outstanding tackle, though.

3.       Cam Robinson, Jacksonville-Not that I am a huge fan of his, because I’m not.  In fact, I think he can be upgraded.  However, being two seasons removed from his knee injury, he is healthier than…

4.       Eric Fisher, Indianapolis-if he had torn his ACL, I would rank him above Robinson and I would feel better about his recovery.  However, he tore his Achilles and did so late January.  Will he even be available in October?  Will he be anywhere close to where he was pre injury?

Left Guard
1.        Quentin Nelson, Indianapolis-the most dominant left guard the league has seen since Larry Allen.  Will go down as an all time great at the position by the time all is said and done, taking his place among the Gene Upshaws, John Hannahs, Larry Allens and Steve Hutchinsons.  I can’t say enough about him.

2.       Andrew Norwell, Jacksonville-while he hasn’t achieved the lofty All Pro status he achieved in Carolina, he has been good and mostly consistent.

4.       Max Scharping, Houston –one of the two OL they reached for early a couple of years back.  Has struggled transitioning to the pros.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Center
1.        Ryan Kelly, Indianapolis-former first rounder anchors the best OL in the division

2.       Brandon Linder, JacksonvilleA solid veteran who can be counted on for consistent blocking and missing a couple of games a year with injury.

4.       Houston-Who knows what the Texans will do at this position, having cut their starter from last year.

Right Guard

3.       A.J. Cann, Jacksonville-long deemed a liability by Jaguars fans, he actually had a decent year last year.

4.       Zach Fulton, Houston-like most of the rest of this devision, nothing special.

Right Tackle

1.        Brandon Smith, Indianapolis-Taken in the 2nd round the same year Nelson was taken, he is the best RT in the division.

2.       Tytus Howard, Houston-a big time reach in the first round a couple of years back, has settled in at RT and played decently last year.

3.       Jawaan Taylor, Jacksonville-has been a disappointment after being taken in the 2nd round.  Does not have the feet to play outside, and his power does not seem obvious outside.  Perhaps his best fit is at G.

4.       Dillon Radunz, Tennessee-2nd round draft pick this year who gets this ranking due to his status as a rookie.  Has good feet and should be a good fit at RT for the tacks.

Based on your rankings here and in the defense thread, it seems you see us finishing 3rd in the division.  That's about right.  According to how quickly Trevor and the other draft picks develop, I think it's possible for us to come in second.  But that's a big ask given our out of division schedule.

I would rank the qbs, in terms of talent and experience:
Wentz - if Wentz can rediscover his mojo, he is clearly more talented than Tannehill or Taylor
Tannehill - a bottom half of the league starter who has benefited from the Tacks' rushing attack and the general consistency in Tennessee since he arrived.
Lawrence - here only because of lack of experience.  In my mind he's at least the 2nd best qb in the division from day 1.
Taylor - a backup and emergency starter.  Watching him play is like watching paint dry - excrutiatingly boring.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(05-15-2021, 07:06 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 10:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Something to pass the time and hopefully spark debate/discussion

Quarterback

Running back

Wide Receiver

Left Tackle

Left Guard

Center

Right Guard

Right Tackle

Based on your rankings here and in the defense thread, it seems you see us finishing 3rd in the division.  That's about right.  According to how quickly Trevor and the other draft picks develop, I think it's possible for us to come in second.  But that's a big ask given our out of division schedule.

I would rank the qbs, in terms of talent and experience:
Wentz - if Wentz can rediscover his mojo, he is clearly more talented than Tannehill or Taylor
Tannehill - a bottom half of the league starter who has benefited from the Tacks' rushing attack and the general consistency in Tennessee since he arrived.
Lawrence - here only because of lack of experience.  In my mind he's at least the 2nd best qb in the division from day 1.
Taylor - a backup and emergency starter.  Watching him play is like watching paint dry - excrutiatingly boring.
I didn't think about compiling this list in terms of how the team will finish, but yeah, I see the Jaguars finishing 3rd this year, and I suppose many of the picks and rankings reflect that.

Now were I to rate the positions in terms of pure talent, not knocking the rookies down because they are rookies, I would pretty much adopt Upper's rankings.  Trevor Lawrence would start out 2nd, Etienne would start out about 4th, Radunz would start off about 2nd.  I'm unsure where I would put Nico Collins.  On the defensive side of the ball, Kwity Paye would start off about 4th in the edge rusher category, Caleb Farley and Tyson Campbell would also rate higher.

(05-14-2021, 10:52 PM)Upper Wrote: Kind of a cop out to just put the rookies at the bottom. Let's put some projection into this. I think Lawrence will immediately be the 2nd best QB in the division this year.

1. Tim Tebow
2. Trevor Lawrence

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2021, 04:56 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I see from your posts you think pretty low of Shenault. To have Pittman 5 spots above Shenault and Shenailult that low is crazy to me. Taylor ove Lawrence is comical though, regardless if he's a rookie or not

(05-15-2021, 04:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I see from your posts you think pretty low of Shenault.  To have Pittman 5 spots above Shenault and Shenailult that low is crazy to me.  Taylor ove Lawrence is comical though, regardless if he's a rookie or not

No, I don't think lowly of Shenault.  I could be swayed to change these rankings.  That's what these posts are for...to stimulate discussion.

Do I think Taylor will rank over Lawrence for long?  No.

But as it stands now, Lawrence has had maybe two minicamp practices, neither at full speed.  Taylor has had several seasons under his belt, and got the Bills to the playoffs.

(05-15-2021, 05:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-15-2021, 04:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I see from your posts you think pretty low of Shenault.  To have Pittman 5 spots above Shenault and Shenailult that low is crazy to me.  Taylor ove Lawrence is comical though, regardless if he's a rookie or not

No, I don't think lowly of Shenault.  I could be swayed to change these rankings.  That's what these posts are for...to stimulate discussion.

But as it stands now, Lawrence has had maybe two minicamp practices, neither at full speed.  Taylor has had several seasons under his belt, and got the Bills to the playoffs.
That was 4 years ago.  But if you want to look at it that way Botles took us to the playoffs that year and beat Taylor, Bortles was also 56 on the top 100 list.  Do you put Bortles over Lawrence as well?

(05-15-2021, 06:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-15-2021, 05:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: No, I don't think lowly of Shenault.  I could be swayed to change these rankings.  That's what these posts are for...to stimulate discussion.

That was 4 years ago.  But if you want to look at it that way Botles took us to the playoffs that year and beat Taylor, Bortles was also 56 on the top 100 list.  Do you put Bortles over Lawrence as well?

In terms of potential?  No.

But is Bortles more proven?  Yes.

Would I rather have Lawrence or Bortles/Taylor?  Lawrence in a landslide.

Does Lawrence have to prove himself worthy of all the adulation he has received?  Yes.  Has he done it yet?  No.

Not sure what's so difficult about this.

Bullseye, I agreed with most of your rankings. I would put Linder above Kelly. I would put Trevor as the 3rd best QB for now.

I like where Chark is ranked.

(05-15-2021, 07:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Bullseye, I agreed with most of your rankings. I would put Linder above Kelly. I would put Trevor as the 3rd best QB for now.

I like where Chark is ranked.

Linder-Kelly was one of the iffier rankings.  I went back and forth on that one.

I have always felt strongly about Chark's abilities.  What excites me is he now has a QB that will enable him to show his abilities more fully than before.

Back to Shenault vs Pittman for a moment.

One of the reasons I ranked Pittman above Shenault is how both were utilized/potential for use in the future.

It's my understanding based on what I remember from watching the Colts that Pittman was used more like a traditional X. With his size and skill set, he's closer to the traditional X receiver than Shenault. Shenault was used kinda all over...as a Z...in the slot...out of the backfield. While I think Shenault can be a very good receiver overall, I think his success would be at Z or in the slot. I don't think he will ever be a #1 WR.

Now is it possible that Shenault could be a better Z or slot than Pittman is an X?

Sure.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2021, 09:05 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Bullseye, I understand what you’re saying. All rookies has to earn it.

We don’t give them no slack. Tough love.

Lawrence is ranked right where he needs to be for now. I’m fine with 4th place, but I would have ranked him 3rd.

The Colts was posting some videos of Carson Wentz today throwing from minicamp. They seem excited regarding him. Maybe he will have a nice bounce back season with them.

https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1395097435609907207

I think Wentz is a nice fit for Indy. He’s gonna have a weapon in TY Hilton and a decent defense. Wentz needs to make this work. If not he will bounce around the league.

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2021, 08:33 PM by mal234.)

(05-19-2021, 08:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I think Wentz is a nice fit for Indy. He’s gonna have a weapon in TY Hilton and a decent defense. Wentz needs to make this work. If not he will bounce around the league.

I could see him having a good year (and possibly beyond that) with them. I think this is an ideal and good situation for him. Frank Reich believes in him and I think he could help revitalize his career.

Also, I just read that the Texans are signing QB Jeff Driskel to a one year contract for $2.5 million dollars. So now they have him, Deshaun, Tyrod and Davis Mills. I have also heard them say some nice things about Davis Mills. It looks like they are trying to prepare themselves for being without Deshaun for at least some (if not maybe all of next season).

Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "The #Texans are signing QB Jeff Driskel to a one-year deal worth up to $2.5 million, per his agents @NSAFootball" / Twitter

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2021, 10:51 PM by mal234.)

Here is also another tidbit about Jeff Driskel. It is being reported he was actually scheduled to visit the Jags this week, but decided to sign with the Texans. (And interestingly enough Jeff was one of Urban's recruits at Florida.) I wonder if this is more evidence that the Jags will be trading/cutting a QB/QBs. I don't see them trying to have 5 QB's. Maybe they will end up trading Gardner sooner than later.

Aaron Wilson on Twitter: "Jeff Driskell chose the Texans over the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to a league source. He recently visited the Dallas Cowboys. Was scheduled to visit the Jaguars this week, but instead chose the Texans" / Twitter

Quarterback

Running back

Wide Receiver

Left Tackle

Left Guard

Center

Right Guard

Right Tackle

Since this thread, the tacks acquired Julio Jones.

Though he is 32 and started having injuries last year, at least for now, he is still a formidable WR.  In the games he played last year, he still averaged some 85 yards a game, which translates into 1456 yards over a 17 game season.  Tannehill is no Matt Ryan, and having Derrick Henry in the backfield and AJ Brown opposite him, it would not be a big shock to see his numbers go down some, but that could cut both ways.  He will more often draw a team's #2 CB, and more likely face defenses with a S in the box to stop Henry.

Going into the season, I would rank him 2nd in the division.

I think Jags ///rb is a lot better than most think and Shenault needs to be on the list. I think Julio Jones is at the top of the list with AJ Brown and I think Saffold is better than Norwell and Ben Jones is the best C in the AFC South. I think the Colts guy is way over rated always hurt and Jones has been great since the Texans dumped him. I think Houston made a bad error letting him go.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response.