Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to announce plans for downtown developments at 1030am

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 12:17 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(06-03-2021, 11:23 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Urban speaking now:
"I refuse to believe this can not be a destination place."

"Our training facility will be the best of the best."

Sigh.. I don't want to hear this in my head but I do.. and it's so loud.

This is what College football coaches say to try to get 18 year olds to play for him to get big n strong for the NFL.

I assume you are referring to the training facility comment.  If so, it works.  Just look at Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU who refused to put $$ into their facility and turning Texas A&M into a top 5 program after they sunk tons of $$ into their elite facility.

Players want top of the line.  Mark Cuban did the same in Dallas (Mavericks) and won a title shortly thereafter.

(06-03-2021, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/CoachUrbanMeyer/stat...42632?s=20

We are a diverse city.  What's up with all the white people.  lol

[Image: E29yNF6UcA41gmu?format=jpg&name=large]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm sure this will draw people downtown during the week. With most downtown restaurants already decimated by the pandemic and more people than ever permanently working from home after the pandemic, foot traffic in downtown will be even lower than it already was, not to mention the desire to move downtown for work will have become even less.

Having said that, as a 40 year resident of this wonderful city having seen at least 100 renderings over the years for various parts of downtown, I'll believe it when I see it.

I found the official written post and the website, but is there Is there video to watch the interview/press release?

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021, 12:51 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-03-2021, 10:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)Ronster Wrote: Still, its the homelessness downtown that stops a lot of people from going down there. As a city we need to deal with that in an effective and humane way.
This happens in literally every major city. It's just a tired excuse.

Yep.

All of the plans presented by the Jaguars have been very strong plans that would improve downtown tremendously.

The power structure here simply does not want it to happen. 

It's hard for me to get excited about this because there will likely be enough resistance and foot dragging to keep anything from actually happening.

(06-03-2021, 11:23 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 11:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Urban speaking now:
"I refuse to believe this can not be a destination place."

"Our training facility will be the best of the best."

Sigh.. I don't want to hear this in my head but I do.. and it's so loud.

This is what College football coaches say to try to get 18 year olds to play for him to get big n strong for the NFL.

But why wouldn't pro athletes want the best facilities in which to train?

I kinda get what you are saying.  The facilities should be close enough in quality to the other 31 teams where facilities won't make a difference.

But apparently there is a big difference, at least big enoough to where some may be turned off.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-03-2021, 12:46 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I found the official written post and the website, but is there Is there video to watch the interview/press release?

Jaguars.com typically posts the full vid once they've had time to make a few edits

I'd look for it later today there

Better than the lot J proposal by a lot.

(06-03-2021, 11:59 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)Ronster Wrote: Still, its the homelessness downtown that stops a lot of people from going down there. As a city we need to deal with that in an effective and humane way.

I was living in DC (early 90's) when the DC police marched the prostitutes across the 14th street bridge over the Virginia State Line to make it Virginia's problem.  Charlotte recently adopted a van service to move their homeless to vacant land outside the trendy part of the city.   I'm thinking St Mary's Georgia would be a nice quaint town for our homeless.  I mean, people travel miles and miles to visit St Mary's -- we'd be providing free transportation and everything to help our homeless establish their base in one of the top ranked towns in the US

LOL... sounds nice, but two things. People would lose their collective minds, nationally; especially in todays political environment. Secondly, they would just come back.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

So I thought the reason the shipyards up to the Park had to be cleaned up due to contamination in order to be developed. Does this segment they are proposing for phase 1 not require that?

(06-03-2021, 12:12 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 11:23 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Sigh.. I don't want to hear this in my head but I do.. and it's so loud.

I assume you are referring to the training facility comment.  If so, it works.  Just look at Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU who refused to put $$ into their facility and turning Texas A&M into a top 5 program after they sunk tons of $$ into their elite facility.

Players want top of the line.  Mark Cuban did the same in Dallas (Mavericks) and won a title shortly thereafter.

(06-03-2021, 11:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/CoachUrbanMeyer/stat...42632?s=20

This is the Ghost Recon simulation. Lol

(06-03-2021, 01:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 12:12 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I assume you are referring to the training facility comment.  If so, it works.  Just look at Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU who refused to put $$ into their facility and turning Texas A&M into a top 5 program after they sunk tons of $$ into their elite facility.

This is the Ghost Recon simulation. Lol

Those faceless people are the homeless... Sad
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

World class facilities are an absolute hub item. See the Frisco Star facility here in DFW. You can mock and pfft those canned statements but it sure as heck works in Dallas. Kahn like Jones will monetize everything associated with it. They are standing at a heck of a precipice and need to make this happen. Because I have a 904 area code (never wanted to give up my phone number through all my moves), my phone is getting blown out with requests to buy property from me. Heck they are hunting for anything with a wall for all the relocating people.

There is a 3 state winners circle right now in Texas, Florida and Tennessee. Of course homelessness is a problem and will always be a determent but you have to get the plans going.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Do not underestimate city leadership and Jacksonville's sizable provincial populace to do everything in their power to scuttle this. I've never seen so many people averse to progress.

(06-03-2021, 03:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Do not underestimate city leadership and Jacksonville's sizable provincial populace to do everything in their power to scuttle this. I've never seen so many people averse to progress.

That is the solid truth right there. That good old boy network is firmly entrenched and won't give up easily. For some power is more than money and these folks have had power for a long time.

(06-03-2021, 03:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Do not underestimate city leadership and Jacksonville's sizable provincial populace to do everything in their power to scuttle this. I've never seen so many people averse to progress.

Watch out for Tommy Hazouri.. He hates the Jags and Jacksonville.. He'd rather sit on a pile of cash than see it spent on progress..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Moving this to the sideline (aka Fargin's Flyby) since it is not directly related to Jaguars Football.

With that being said, as a home owner and tax payer in Duval county I'm all for improving the eyesore that is the shipyards and the [BLEEP] that is downtown Jacksonville.  If team ownership is willing to foot half of the cost it should be seriously considered.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-03-2021, 04:08 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

Watch out for Tommy Hazouri.. He hates the Jags and Jacksonville.. He'd rather sit on a pile of cash than see it spent on progress..

He's still alive?

(06-03-2021, 05:59 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 04:08 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Watch out for Tommy Hazouri.. He hates the Jags and Jacksonville.. He'd rather sit on a pile of cash than see it spent on progress..

He's still alive?

Unfortunately

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

So how is this different then all the other planned downtown stuff that never happens? After 20 years until my eyes when someone says they’re going to revamp downtown or do anything downtown. Call me a skeptic but I’ll believe it when I see it
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(06-03-2021, 03:58 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

That is the solid truth right there. That good old boy network is firmly entrenched and won't give up easily. For some power is more than money and these folks have had power for a long time.

It's actually good old boys and girls. They all want something out of it. Then you have the obstructionists who feel it their duty to block progress in order to 'stick it to the rich folks'. But the worst of all is the rube citizens who 'don't want any of that there fancy big city stuff'. They like things backwards because they believe it actually makes a positive statement against the high falutin' world.

Some simply hate the Jaguars and Shad Khan. Others are scared to death they'll have to pay an extra $50 a year in taxes. They're idiots. But don't take my word for it, read some of the comments in this story.

Jaguars lay out $441M plans to develop Shipyards, add Four Seasons Hotel to Northbank (news4jax.com)

The short sightedness of certain elements in this city is amazing.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.