Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to announce plans for downtown developments at 1030am

(06-04-2021, 07:18 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: The short sightedness of certain elements in this city is amazing.

How so? You assume short sightedness when their perspective merely accomplishes a different set of goals.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Will this all be built by the time I come back for the tacks came in October?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-04-2021, 09:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 07:18 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: The short sightedness of certain elements in this city is amazing.

How so? You assume short sightedness when their perspective merely accomplishes a different set of goals.

I'm speaking about the people whose knee jerk reaction to any talk of investment in the city is to whine and bellyache about it. We can disagree and debate about priorities but the knee jerk reactions results in nothing ever getting accomplished or at best, half measures. I've lived here for 30 years and it seems like it's always been that way.  When Shad bought the team one early observation he made was how the general public and the leadership in Jax "lack mojo". That's as good a way to put it as any.

(06-04-2021, 09:20 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Will this all be built by the time I come back for the tacks came in October?

October of 2040? Sure.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-04-2021, 09:58 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: How so? You assume short sightedness when their perspective merely accomplishes a different set of goals.

I'm speaking about the people whose knee jerk reaction to any talk of investment in the city is to whine and bellyache about it. We can disagree and debate about priorities but the knee jerk reactions results in nothing ever getting accomplished or at best, half measures. I've lived here for 30 years and it seems like it's always been that way.  When Shad bought the team one early observation he made was how the general public and the leadership in Jax "lack mojo". That's as good a way to put it as any.

(06-04-2021, 09:20 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Will this all be built by the time I come back for the tacks came in October?

October of 2040? Sure.

Coincidence.. I think that's the completion date for I-4 as well..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-04-2021, 09:58 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: How so? You assume short sightedness when their perspective merely accomplishes a different set of goals.

October of 2040? Sure.

But that isn't short sightedness, it's the desire the keep the city as it is. Not everyone thinks the city needs to change and I know a lot of people who are actively hoping the Jaguars leave so we can "get back to how we used to be around here."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-04-2021, 10:18 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:58 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'm speaking about the people whose knee jerk reaction to any talk of investment in the city is to whine and bellyache about it. We can disagree and debate about priorities but the knee jerk reactions results in nothing ever getting accomplished or at best, half measures. I've lived here for 30 years and it seems like it's always been that way.  When Shad bought the team one early observation he made was how the general public and the leadership in Jax "lack mojo". That's as good a way to put it as any.

October of 2040? Sure.

Coincidence.. I think that's the completion date for I-4 as well..

Maybe this phase.  By the time they finish they'll need to start another upgrade.

(06-04-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:18 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Coincidence.. I think that's the completion date for I-4 as well..

Maybe this phase.  By the time they finish they'll need to start another upgrade.

lolol

(06-04-2021, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 09:58 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'm speaking about the people whose knee jerk reaction to any talk of investment in the city is to whine and bellyache about it. We can disagree and debate about priorities but the knee jerk reactions results in nothing ever getting accomplished or at best, half measures. I've lived here for 30 years and it seems like it's always been that way.  When Shad bought the team one early observation he made was how the general public and the leadership in Jax "lack mojo". That's as good a way to put it as any.

October of 2040? Sure.

But that isn't short sightedness, it's the desire the keep the city as it is. Not everyone thinks the city needs to change and I know a lot of people who are actively hoping the Jaguars leave so we can "get back to how we used to be around here."

Wanting to see the city regress to the "bad old days" (or at best fail to progress) is short sighted. Tomato, tomahto.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-04-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:18 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Coincidence.. I think that's the completion date for I-4 as well..

Just like the I-10 / I-95 area. We bought our house in 95, they started the new Fuller Warren a month after we moved it. They have’s stopped working on that area since.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(06-04-2021, 10:57 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Maybe this phase.  By the time they finish they'll need to start another upgrade.

Just like the I-10 / I-95 area. We bought our house in 95, they started the new Fuller Warren a month after we moved it. They have’s stopped working on that area since.

No different out here.  I can see that I35 and I30 will be in a constant state of flux.  Much like I4, I30 runs through where the stadiums and the amusement parks are, and it's a cluster right now.  They should have it done in 25 years or so.

(06-04-2021, 10:57 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Maybe this phase.  By the time they finish they'll need to start another upgrade.

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. I can't remember a time when we were not working on some road, bridge or building here in this city. I moved here in 87' from California and I have watched this city grow tremendously. I love this city...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

October of 2040? Sure.

What exactly was it about this idyllic time that they desire?

October of 2040? Sure.

And they're wrong. It's as simple as that.

October of 2040? Sure.

Back to what? After a couple of decades nothing is going back. Hell, after 2020 nothing is going back to how things used to be. Nothing was the same after 9/11. These people are dumb to think the team leaving would be positive change.

I would love to see something like a retractable roof as a stadium upgrade.. Roof closed in the summer, roof open in the late fall and winter..

(06-04-2021, 03:49 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I would love to see something like a retractable roof as a stadium upgrade.. Roof closed in the summer, roof open in the late fall and winter..

This issue would be cost though. Only similar renovations I can think of was Real Madrid's stadium with retractable roof that cost £693.3 million (~$982 million) that looks great, and Miami's $500 million non-retractable canopy.

(06-04-2021, 11:19 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But that isn't short sightedness, it's the desire the keep the city as it is. Not everyone thinks the city needs to change and I know a lot of people who are actively hoping the Jaguars leave so we can "get back to how we used to be around here."

You didin't have to worry about your horse-drawn carriage getting run over by a Humvee

I’m all for progress and growth in Jacksonville that said I love having the rural areas to retreat too. I’ve told my wife when the new toll road through clay finishes and we see us17 mimic the growth on us1 it’ll be time to sell and move further West into deeper clay county but at that point my land off 17 should triple in value. Progress is good but I don’t want to live in it so I just keep moving along.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(06-04-2021, 11:19 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 10:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But that isn't short sightedness, it's the desire the keep the city as it is. Not everyone thinks the city needs to change and I know a lot of people who are actively hoping the Jaguars leave so we can "get back to how we used to be around here."

Strong churches, fewer people, less traffic, less nightlife, a more rural city lifestyle.

(06-04-2021, 11:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

And they're wrong. It's as simple as that.

No, it's an opinion that's just as valid as yours.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 01:14 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(06-11-2021, 12:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 11:19 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: What exactly was it about this idyllic time that they desire?

Strong churches, fewer people, less traffic, less nightlife, a more rural city lifestyle.

(06-04-2021, 11:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: And they're wrong. It's as simple as that.

No, it's an opinion that's just as valid as yours.

No, it's really not as valid.

It could be valid if we were Lake City.

We are not. We are a major COASTAL city on a large river which allows for a large port and large naval base. There is no choice but to grow and expand. Otherwise it's stagnation and death... and our location on the St. Johns right next to the Atlantic Ocean doesn't allow for that - ever - it truly is an issue of geographic importance - so they need to stop holding on to this idea we will ever be Cowford again.

And if they want that - Keystone Heights is still right there and as pointless and meaningless as ever.