Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cities Try to Head Off Eviction Wave as Federal Ban Expires

(08-03-2021, 08:05 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Since when does the CDC have legislative power?

It was already shot down in court, so not much they can do other than ignore it

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Kabuki theater.

We officially live in a Banana Republic.

Seriously... how can the CDC hold any power to do anything? They have NO power over the courts. They have NO power over anything. It's ridiculous to even read about the CDC suspended evictions... how the hell has our country devolved into this?

(08-04-2021, 01:05 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: We officially live in a Banana Republic.

Seriously... how can the CDC hold any power to do anything? They have NO power over the courts. They have NO power over anything. It's ridiculous to even read about the CDC suspended evictions... how the hell has our country devolved into this?

Because the people in charge went home on summer break leaving the door open for this to happen and nobody is challenging it. Even if they did the MSM would swoop in and say the challengers are racist, don't care if people die, are Trump humpers, among other things.

(08-04-2021, 01:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 01:05 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: We officially live in a Banana Republic.

Because the people in charge went home on summer break leaving the door open for this to happen and nobody is challenging it. Even if they did the MSM would swoop in and say the challengers are racist, don't care if people die, are Trump humpers, among other things.

The end result of these shenanigans on the rental market will be devastating to the housing economy.

Screw rent, I'm buying some boats!!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Anyone know the details on Joe's targeted eviction ban? I'm feeling lazy this morning.

(08-03-2021, 05:37 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Wonder how many of these people had the money, but just decided to not pay because they could?

Thats where I am. When everything got shutdown in Pa, we drew Unemployment plus $600 a week. My take home for UC after taxes was $415 per week plus the extra $600 per week. I understand that not everyone got as much UC as I did, but the average for UC was around $250-$300 plus the $600 which is still more than they made working. Many did not pay their rent or utilities and lived high on the hog. Now they are screaming for help as landlords are filing evictions and utilities are now beginning to call in everything owed and will begin shutting them off. The extra money is now down to $300 a week combined with the UC but the extra money will be gone soon, although our stupid Democrat governor is wanting to continue it with state funds.

It makes zero sense to me to not pay the bills when you are making close to double your normal salary and you know that sooner or later you will have to pay it all back. Personally I used the extra money to pay off one of our houses and a vehicle, plus opened another retirement plan (Roth IRA) to use in conjunction with my 401k. or to keep feeding the IRA after I retire and live off our 401k until they are either exhausted (unlikely that they will) or reach a certain balance and then start drawing from the IRA.

This is all part of the democrats plan. Force landlords into making housing unaffordable for tenants either forcing them to live in lower rent, dangerous areas or count on the government for subsidies.

The whole idea of the democratic party functions based on people relying on the government.

I just read the following comment following a news article about this. It's a random comment but it makes you wonder why only $3 billion of the $45 billion available to property owners has not been given out yet. I know red tape slows things down but its getting ridiculous. Anyway.... Maybe I'm just feeling like a conspiracy theorist today. 

"The plan...that was hatched a few months ago, is to offer mortgage help for landlords. All they have to do is sign a contract stating they will rent to whomever the government says...with no vetting AND give the government right of first refusal if they want to sell the property. In other words, you will have to sell the the govt, at a price they deem as 'market value', if you take their 'assistance'."

What say you?

(08-05-2021, 03:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I just read the following comment following a news article about this. It's a random comment but it makes you wonder why only $3 billion of the $45 billion available to property owners has not been given out yet. I know red tape slows things down but its getting ridiculous. Anyway.... Maybe I'm just feeling like a conspiracy theorist today. 

"The plan...that was hatched a few months ago, is to offer mortgage help for landlords. All they have to do is sign a contract stating they will rent to whomever the government says...with no vetting AND give the government right of first refusal if they want to sell the property. In other words, you will have to sell the the govt, at a price they deem as 'market value', if you take their 'assistance'."

What say you?

Tenants are buying boats instead of paying rent...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/eviction-b...oronavirus

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2021, 03:30 PM by p_rushing. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-05-2021, 12:38 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 05:37 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Wonder how many of these people had the money, but just decided to not pay because they could?

Thats where I am. When everything got shutdown in Pa, we drew Unemployment plus $600 a week. My take home for UC after taxes was $415 per week plus the extra $600 per week. I understand that not everyone got as much UC as I did, but the average for UC was around $250-$300 plus the $600 which is still more than they made working. Many did not pay their rent or utilities and lived high on the hog. Now they are screaming for help as landlords are filing evictions and utilities are now beginning to call in everything owed and will begin shutting them off. The extra money is now down to $300 a week combined with the UC but the extra money will be gone soon, although our stupid Democrat governor is wanting to continue it with state funds.

It makes zero sense to me to not pay the bills when you are making close to double your normal salary and you know that sooner or later you will have to pay it all back. Personally I used the extra money to pay off one of our houses and a vehicle, plus opened another retirement plan (Roth IRA) to use in conjunction with my 401k. or to keep feeding the IRA after I retire and live off our 401k until they are either exhausted (unlikely that they will) or reach a certain balance and then start drawing from the IRA.

Most also did not have taxes withheld. So now their income is too high and they will owe a lot on taxes where before they got money back. I'm shocked we didn't have to have a bailout this year for taxes but maybe they used the higher income to pay the taxes for last year.

(08-05-2021, 01:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: This is all part of the democrats plan. Force landlords into making housing unaffordable for tenants either forcing them to live in lower rent, dangerous areas or count on the government for subsidies.

The whole idea of the democratic party functions based on people relying on the government.

The government doesn't have to do it. The plan is to for landlords to sell to corporations and then they will collect a big fat check from the government to provide free housing for everyone. You will not be able to afford a house and forced to live where ever they say. AOC already called for it. They want you now depending on the government for your housing.

(08-05-2021, 03:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 03:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I just read the following comment following a news article about this. It's a random comment but it makes you wonder why only $3 billion of the $45 billion available to property owners has not been given out yet. I know red tape slows things down but its getting ridiculous. Anyway.... Maybe I'm just feeling like a conspiracy theorist today. 

What say you?

Tenants are buying boats instead of paying rent...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/eviction-b...oronavirus

That has nothing to do with what I posted.

(08-05-2021, 03:28 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 12:38 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Thats where I am. When everything got shutdown in Pa, we drew Unemployment plus $600 a week. My take home for UC after taxes was $415 per week plus the extra $600 per week. I understand that not everyone got as much UC as I did, but the average for UC was around $250-$300 plus the $600 which is still more than they made working. Many did not pay their rent or utilities and lived high on the hog. Now they are screaming for help as landlords are filing evictions and utilities are now beginning to call in everything owed and will begin shutting them off. The extra money is now down to $300 a week combined with the UC but the extra money will be gone soon, although our stupid Democrat governor is wanting to continue it with state funds.

Most also did not have taxes withheld. So now their income is too high and they will owe a lot on taxes where before they got money back. I'm shocked we didn't have to have a bailout this year for taxes but maybe they used the higher income to pay the taxes for last year.

(08-05-2021, 01:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: This is all part of the democrats plan. Force landlords into making housing unaffordable for tenants either forcing them to live in lower rent, dangerous areas or count on the government for subsidies.

The government doesn't have to do it. The plan is to for landlords to sell to corporations and then they will collect a big fat check from the government to provide free housing for everyone. You will not be able to afford a house and forced to live where ever they say. AOC already called for it. They want you now depending on the government for your housing.

Playing devils advocate here, banks did offer mortgage assistance or delay throughout this whole thing.

At the end of the day, it's the renters that will take the punishment. Foreclosures will be picked up by other landlords. Wash, rinse, repeat.

What say you?

I say that it's bull [BLEEP] .  

I also think that the extension of the eviction moratorium by the CDC is un-constitutional.  Property owners need to start kicking the deadbeats to the curb.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-05-2021, 04:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

What say you?

I say that it's bull [BLEEP] .  

I also think that the extension of the eviction moratorium by the CDC is un-constitutional.  Property owners need to start kicking the deadbeats to the curb.

SCOTUS already ruled it unconstitutional.  I am not even sure how this is still a thing.  Wish we would see Trump appointed Federal judges shooting this stuff down.

Eviction backlogs are so large, it will be more than and maybe years before these deadbeats can legally be removed.

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2021, 04:57 PM by The Drifter. Edited 1 time in total.)

All I know is, my rent is $1362 a month for a 2BR apartment where I live in Maryland..... I have always paid my rent at least a week in advance because I have the means to....... IMHO, if you buy boats and other luxury items instead of paying rent, you deserve to be evicted......Just my 2 cents worth here </rant>
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2021, 05:02 PM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-05-2021, 04:57 PM)The Drifter Wrote: All I know is, my rent is $1362 a month for a 2BR apartment where I live in Maryland..... I have always paid my rent at least a week in advance because I have the means to....... IMHO, if you buy boats and other luxury items instead of paying rent, you deserve to be evicted......Just my 2 cents worth here </rant>

The people who choose to stop paying rent are too short sighted to understand the long term impact of this on themselves. They will eventually have a legal eviction on their record. When future landlords see when that took place they will be eliminated from consoderation., they will either be homeless or have to buy their own house.

(08-05-2021, 03:59 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Playing devils advocate here, banks did offer mortgage assistance or delay throughout this whole thing.

At the end of the day, it's the renters that will take the punishment. Foreclosures will be picked up by other landlords. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The banks did that for a reason, it wasn't to help. Banks knew if you are short now, you won't be able to pay the amounts you saved not paying when the bill comes due. They could have fought it, kept charging you interest, late penalties, etc and end the end nothing would have happened. Foreclosing would have hurt the housing market, interest rates were low, etc. Now prices have skyrocketed, so they will cut loses, corporations are paying over market price and locking consumers out of the market.

Now regular people will not be able to buy investment homes and rent them out. If you do, you will have to require 1 year in advance just to have a chance at keeping from going broke yourself. Most people will see that as too much risk and get out while the market is high. That leaves the large corporations as the only buyers, paying over market, and having enough cash to withstand not being paid. Then the government offers cash to the corps to take care of them.

The people have been taken out of the housing market at that point and you can't own because they won't sell.