Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Meyer starting Minshhew with the ones

It’s a cut game. Does it really matter if the crowned starting QB plays?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-12-2021, 05:41 PM)High Octane Wrote: I just dont see a point in Minshew starting... unless its solely to boost his trade value.

We have a generational rookie QB... we need to get him as many reps with the 1's as possible. Tired of them even splitting time in practice.
Greatest post ever posted on this here forum. Bar none!

Unless the Browns start their 1's, it won't really matter. It'll be exciting to see TLaw nonetheless but I can't wait to see him against a starting defense.
Here we go again

(08-12-2021, 06:05 PM)Preach Wrote: Unless the Browns start their 1's, it won't really matter. It'll be exciting to see TLaw nonetheless but I can't wait to see him against a starting defense.
Preach it, Preach!!!

The Browns have already announced they are not playing their starters at all.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 08:52 PM by jaguarmvp.)

I see what Urban is doing here. Putting the pressure on Lawrence to earn the starting job instead of it just being given to him. Put the pressure on the rookie to bust his [BLEEP] to earn that starting role. If he can't handle the pressure or does not perform up to par he does not deserve to start yet.

The plus side is if he plays with the 2's we will see him play much longer. 1st team is like a drive and that's it. 2nd team plays most of the first half.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

It’s preseason. Who cares

It's preseason game 1... I'm okay with the shew getting the "start".
If TLaw doesn't start week 1, I'll burn it down with all the Nancy's.

You don't take a guy first overall to sit him. Everything else is just window dressing

This is all premature. Meyer has not said who is starting at QB Saturday night.

(08-12-2021, 06:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The Browns have already announced they are not playing their starters at all.

BRB calling my bookie

Easy money, baby!!

(08-12-2021, 06:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The Browns have already announced they are not playing their starters at all.

This pretty much determines Lawrence will play very little, if at all. If they're not playing their starters, will we be playing ours? If not, it doesn't make sense to put TL out there without the starting OL in front of him.

(08-13-2021, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

This pretty much determines Lawrence will play very little, if at all. If they're not playing their starters, will we be playing ours? If not, it doesn't make sense to put TL out there without the starting OL in front of him.

I think we should play our starters, because we have new coaches, new offensive and defensive systems, and lots of new players.  We have to get something on tape that we can go back and correct.   Just practicing against ourselves is only good up to a point.

(08-13-2021, 08:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This pretty much determines Lawrence will play very little, if at all. If they're not playing their starters, will we be playing ours? If not, it doesn't make sense to put TL out there without the starting OL in front of him.

I think we should play our starters, because we have new coaches, new offensive and defensive systems, and lots of new players.  We have to get something on tape that we can go back and correct.   Just practicing against ourselves is only good up to a point.

I've always considered the first preseason game as a cut game. The coaching staff is using it mainly for determination on who makes it to the next round.

He's a rookie QB, a rookie QB that could use the reps. I am seriously wondering about Myer..
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I've been one of the biggest Meyer critics on this board... I've questioned literally every move he has made.

This one I get and am fine with.. it's what you do when someone is working their [BLEEP] off and he wants the rookie to match or exceed the level of effort the obvious backup is putting in.

(08-13-2021, 10:04 AM)Ronster Wrote: He's a rookie QB, a rookie QB that could use the reps. I am seriously wondering about Myer..

Well, you're wondering about nothing, because he hasn't announced who is starting yet.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 11:12 AM by RicoTx.)

Why in the world does it matter who starts in a pre-season game?  He's gonna play whether he 'starts' or not.  Talk about heartburn over nothing.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 11:17 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(08-13-2021, 08:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

If we were a winning team I’d say yeah sit the starters. Problem is we were 1-15 last season. We won... ONE GAME. ONE! Yeah I don’t think anybody should be sitting, they need to play. Browns have superbowl aspirations, they came close to beating the Chiefs in the playoffs. IMO 2 totally different situations.

I imagine they have a script of plays they want to see Lawrence perform and they are happy to rest/protect him outside of that each week.
I'm not going to read too much into "starter" posturing right now. Most of this is likely designed to keep Minshew's head in the game until a trade comes down or they have to officially name him the back-up.

Oh kewl. Just noticed that NFL Network is covering it out here. The Trevor effect?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]