Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dilla’s saying Schobert to the Steelers

I gotta admit, this one was a shocker. I didn't see this one coming at all. With that said, I'm not necessarily against it. I just wanna see the compensation. I'd expect nothing less than a future 4th rounder or a decent player in return. I have no problem with Damien Wilson supplanting him as a starter. I've never been a Schobert fan at all. I know he made a lot of tackles, but when you actually watch the games, he was tackling guys downfield after the ball carriers had made significant gains. It's a bit of a trade off though, as Schobert is better in coverage, yet Wilson is way better against the run. My only real problem with the deal is that it leaves us with only one decent backup ILB, Shaquille Quarterman, With Dylan Moses probably missing most of, if not all of the season, I don't see much depth at ILB. I'm hoping we stay relatively healthy or this could be a problem.

It'll also be interesting to see if anyone else is dealt away. There are still rumors about C.J. Henderson being on the trading block and who knows who else could be moved?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 06:34 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

(08-13-2021, 06:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I gotta admit, this one was a shocker. I didn't see this one coming at all. With that said, I'm not necessarily against it. I just wanna see the compensation. I'd expect nothing less than a future 4th rounder or a decent player in return. I have no problem with Damien Wilson supplanting him as a starter. I've never been a Schobert fan at all. I know he made a lot of tackles, but when you actually watch the games, he was tackling guys downfield after the ball carriers had made significant gains.  It's a bit of a trade off though, as Schobert is better in coverage, yet Wilson is way better against the run. My only real problem with the deal is that it leaves us with only one decent backup ILB, Shaquille Quarterman, With Dylan Moses probably missing most of, if not all of the season, I don't see much depth at ILB. I'm hoping we stay relatively healthy or this could be a problem.

It'll also be interesting to see if anyone else is dealt away. There are still rumors about C.J. Henderson being on the trading block and who knows who else could be moved?

If we need a backup ILB, I would expect there will be a lot of candidates available when cuts are made.

I'm a little surprised about Schobert, too, but I can only surmise that he wasn't as good a fit in a 3-4 as he was in a 4-3.  Or maybe they just wanted to play Wilson and didn't want a $50 million backup ILB.

As for CJ Henderson, I think the more he practices and plays, the more his value goes up, and the better the chance that he is traded away.   I would trade the guy, because I don't think he fits the new culture, and I don't think he's reliable.  But none of us know that much about his situation, so I'm just guessing.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 08:25 AM by Mikey.)

(08-12-2021, 09:19 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Hated it when we signed him. He sucks, and he definitely isn’t a 3-4 MLB. I don’t think people realize how bad he would be in that position, he already was terrible against the run. Need a big MLB behind Hamilton, not Schobert. Excellent trade to free up cap next season.

Did any players of significance sit out last minute in the Steelers game? Could be a sign of so.

.....aren't the Stillers a 3-4 base? I'm calling BS on that excuse/justification, as we've heard repeatedly that our D is going to be fluid and offer a number of alignments. This is an absolute head scratcher of a move.

one of our biggest problems, especially with a young base, is the lack of consistency ANYWHERE on this roster. It's going to be a very uphill battle to consider anything we get in return for this deal a win. Consider that in addition to dumping him this quickly after his pay day, we're eating all of his bonus now as dead money, AND we're also footing some of the remaining bill? Our front office is certainly putting the FO in FOH.

(08-12-2021, 09:24 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote:
(08-12-2021, 09:19 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Hated it when we signed him. He sucks, and he definitely isn’t a 3-4 MLB. I don’t think people realize how bad he would be in that position, he already was terrible against the run. Need a big MLB behind Hamilton, not Schobert. Excellent trade to free up cap next season.

Did any players of significance sit out last minute in the Steelers game? Could be a sign of so.

WR James Washington wanted traded out of Pittsburgh. We keep stockpiling receivers... can't rule it out.

/pours shot glass full of bleach

I AM READY

(08-12-2021, 10:23 PM)Upper Wrote: He wasn't very good last year, that's for sure. I do think he would have fit this role pretty well. He was a hell of a blitzer at Wisconsin. 3-4 LB also have to have more range than 3-4 ILBs to cover the whole middle of the field with just two LB. Schobert's skills fit this defense way better than it did Wash's. The fact that another 3-4 team is the team trading for him speaks to that I think.

The whole D wasn't very good last year. But to that last point, spot on. This isn't an issue of being miscast if someone using the same base sees him as an asset.

So still no word on compensation?

We should expect a day 3 pick. As we have all said, Schobert was not very good. He is also very expensive. You don't get a quality return for very expensive players that aren't very good.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 09:01 AM by Brett. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...1432704006

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...9869486081

Read on another thread/story about Quincy Williams. I had completely forgotten this guy was on the roster. I remember reading stories about when he was drafted, NUMEROUS teams had him pegged higher and he was a 'steal'. Does he even make the ROSTER this year? I have not heard his name mentioned at ALL in training camp.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Gotta think this move is somehow related to the T.J. Watt situation
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-13-2021, 10:39 AM)NCJag Wrote: Read on another thread/story about Quincy Williams. I had completely forgotten this guy was on the roster. I remember reading stories about when he was drafted, NUMEROUS teams had him pegged higher and he was a 'steal'.  Does he even make the ROSTER this year?  I have not heard his name mentioned at ALL in training camp.

I recall most of the mock drafts had him going as a day 3 pick since this was one hot topic when we drafted him.  This was the Dave Caldwell equivalent of Gene Smith's Derek Cox pick (but at least we didn't trade up to round 2 to get this bust).

Perhaps we just got nothing back.

Freeing up cap space for another OSU alumn next season?

lololol
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We got back cap space.

(08-12-2021, 09:39 PM)Jag88 Wrote: For people who said that he sucks, well hes not that bad. In his only season in Jacksonville, the 6-foot-1, 245-pound veteran recorded 141 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three interceptions (one that was returned for a touchdown) and two forced fumbles.

That's because our defense allowed so many scores that they were on the field probably twice as much as the average NFL D.

Not saying he was a bum, Shoebert was decent. He just wasn't great. And we need great pieces, especially at inside linebacker.

Steelers offer 2023 7th round pick and a pack of Almond Joy.

Trent and Urban: (chest bumping and hand shakes)

(08-13-2021, 11:57 AM)Jagulars Wrote: Steelers offer 2023 7th round pick and a pack of Almond Joy.

Trent and Urban: (chest bumping and hand shakes)

Now what if... hear me out..

That 7th round picks name is, Almond Joy?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Even better.

Ian Parappaport via twitter mentioned late-round compensation for the trade.

(08-13-2021, 11:21 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Perhaps we just got nothing back.

I believe NFL requires something back and not cash

Maybe the Jags are trading for a coach or executive?

I’m sure we will eat quite a bit of his 2021 salary but open up that space in the future.
Jack and Wilson start @ ILB.
Quaterman and Williams as backup ILB.
Redshirt Dylan Moses.
If you want/need to improve the position, you are in first position in the waiver wire slotting.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if it were Tyson Alualu!?!