Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew Traded (merged)

(08-28-2021, 10:33 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Bad trade. Lil compensation

Agree I give us a F. We could have got a 6th anytime. We traded him like he has played like Chris Simmons level compensation. Anyway it doesn’t matter, he wasn’t the future here but still, guy was worth more than a 5th at best. Also how does Caldwell give away fifths for backups he cuts when he is with the jags and then immediately pull one over on us when he goes to eagles. This was a buddy buddy deal.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My biggest take away from this trade is the stupidness that was the "QB competition" Urbs claimed was going on. You make the two split reps for months, only to trade Minshew a couple days after announcing Lawrence the starter... 

It was always obvious that Trevor was going to be the starter, yet they played this stupid rotation game (which only hurt the team and Offense) just to ship Minshew out of town instantly anyways.. They should have traded him months ago, handed Trevor the keys then and this Offense would have been much better for it. Instead they take away reps from Trevor and give them to somebody they never planned on having around in the first place.

Just another example of Urbs thinking he's always the smartest guy in the room.  Wallbash

(08-28-2021, 11:13 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 11:10 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I think the Iggles were legit holding out on the Watson situation and then scrambled for what they could find at this point

LOL, wut? Eagles are set at QB...

There were quite a few reports that the Eagles were interested in Watson over the summer

Glad GM15 got off this flaming Garbage Skow. We should all be happy for him. He had two all-pro level games to start last season captaining a ship full of rejects before he fractured his thumb on his throwing hand.

Now we will get to hear "We Want CJ! Clapclapclap!" by the sixth home game instead.

I believe Baalke and Urb gambled that with a good showing during preseason and hyping him up, Minshew's trade valuation would rise. Unfortunately, Minshew showed nothing in 2 games with a healthy thumb, and the value likely went down. A possible 5th, 6th at worst, is fair compensation for a middle of the road backup QB, which is what he is now.

(08-28-2021, 10:45 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Minshew was on borrowed time as soon as TLaw entered the conversation, and that process sped up when we all saw what Beathard could do..

Yeah, agree with the 1st part... 99% of this trade is because of Lawrence. Maybe 1% or less due to what CJ did vs scrubs, I'd argue his contract vs dead money if cut played more of a role than his play did.

I do love how the "its preseason" argument is used around here. When we are getting thumped, its to cover for [BLEEP] play/players. When someone does well vs trash in a meaningless game, we wanna anoint them over proven commodities. Pure comedy.

The last guy I would pin the blame on for our lack of success in 2019 or 2020 is the 6th round QB with this stat line.

12 GS 285/470 3271 Yds 60.64 C% 21/6 91.2. 

8 GS 216/327 2259 Yds 66.06 C% 16/5 95.9 

It will be fun to compare Trevor's rookie #s to those stats considering he will have a better RB than GM had in 2019, with most of the other pieces being similar (OL and TE room). TL was compared to Luck coming out, so we will see!

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2021, 05:38 PM by mal234. Edited 2 times in total.)

I'm watching the NFL network Top 100 players list and they showed James Robinson and Gardner again talking about Aaron Rodgers who is #3 on the list. They actually had underneath Gardner's name Eagles Quarterback, while he was talking though this segment was filmed a while ago. Someone must have edited that graphic really quick to update his with his new team lol:

Danny on Twitter: "Can we talk about the epic editing by @nflnetwork for the Top 100 reveal? Eagles QB Gardner Minshew? Incredible work. https://t.co/hOc5fYB1YS" / Twitter

It frees up a roster spot to top things off. I think I'd prefer an extra receiver or DL than a 3rd QB.

(08-28-2021, 11:36 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 11:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Bad comparison. Drew Brees has a strong arm and much better QB skills and instincts.

Brees has a "strong" arm? Ok, I think the conversation is over now...

Good grief dude.  Brees' arm, although not the strongest part of his game, was certainly strong enough that it was possible for him to make all NFL throws.  Minshew does not have that arm at all.

Don’t forget we did lose 15 games with Minshew last year and he did appear to have hit his cEiling. I still would have liked to keep him as a backup, but if it was between this or them cutting him, then better he was traded

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2021, 07:25 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 1 time in total.)

A few scenarios I can picture where this makes sense

-Maybe he didn't mesh well with Trevor and maybe jaded a bit due to the new rookie QB taking the top spot. Maybe it was best for everyone's interest.

-Meyer stated he likes Minshew. Maybe Shew asked for a trade and felt like PHilly maybe a better shot at getting a starting job

-They could of planned on keeping 2 QB's. CJ Has performed better so Minshew was on his way to get cut. if this was the situation then good trade for getting something.

-
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-28-2021, 07:01 PM)scottyg Wrote: It frees up a roster spot to top things off.  I think I'd prefer an extra receiver or DL than a 3rd QB.

Yup, would much rather keep a 7th WR, or an extra guy on the DL over a 3rd QB. Those are our two deepest position groups.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2021, 07:27 PM by mal234. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-28-2021, 07:18 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: A few scenarios I can picture where this makes sense

-Maybe he didn't mesh well with Trevor and maybe jaded a bit due to the new rookie QB taking the top spot.  Maybe it was best for everyone's interest.

-Meyer stated  he likes Minshew.  Maybe Shew asked for a trade and felt like PHilly maybe a better shot at getting a starting job

-They could of only plan on keeping 2 QB's.  CJ Has performed better and Minshew was on his way to get cut.  if this was the situation then good trade for getting something.

-

I wonder if Urban talked to Gardner after naming the Trevor the starter about the Jags QB situation. Especially since it was reported that CJ/Gardner would then be competing for the #2 spot. Maybe Urban actually liked/respected Gardner enough to let him go to another team. There have been reports for a while now that Philly was interested in Gardner. And a Carolina Panthers Beats reporter said months ago that she heard that Gardner was headed to Philly. 

There was a report a while back that one team had inquired about getting Gardner two times already earlier. I think that team was Philly. They have been interested in getting Gardner and the Jags decided to let him go there. They have Trevor and I think they might feel comfortable enough with CJ as the #2 QB for the team.

I Concur w/this trade because Minshew showed little to no progress within this 2021 pre-season. We've acquired equal value as well.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I was wondering why Beathard was signed. It was because the organization had already decided that Minshew had to go.

(08-28-2021, 05:32 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 10:45 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Minshew was on borrowed time as soon as TLaw entered the conversation, and that process sped up when we all saw what Beathard could do..

Yeah, agree with the 1st part... 99% of this trade is because of Lawrence. Maybe 1% or less due to what CJ did vs scrubs, I'd argue his contract vs dead money if cut played more of a role than his play did.

I do love how the "its preseason" argument is used around here. When we are getting thumped, its to cover for [BLEEP] play/players. When someone does well vs trash in a meaningless game, we wanna anoint them over proven commodities. Pure comedy.

The last guy I would pin the blame on for our lack of success in 2019 or 2020 is the 6th round QB with this stat line.

12 GS 285/470 3271 Yds 60.64 C% 21/6 91.2. 

8 GS 216/327 2259 Yds 66.06 C% 16/5 95.9 

It will be fun to compare Trevor's rookie #s to those stats considering he will have a better RB than GM had in 2019, with most of the other pieces being similar (OL and TE room). TL was compared to Luck coming out, so we will see!

Well said. Ive seen very little mentioned about our historically bad D last season that never gave us chances to win games. There were a few games where Minshew pulled us back to a one score game and the D couldnt get a stop and let the other team go straight down and score. The guy had to put up 35+ points just to have a chance of winning.

Plus seen plenty of we lost 15 games with Minshew when Glennon and Luton started games aswell. 

Minshew was getting hit and under pressure a lot and as the D couldn't stop anything we had to go pass heavy which made us so easy to play against. From what we have seen so far this preseason it looks like Lawrence may be getting more of the same as the D and O-line have struggled.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2021, 10:06 PM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Here is the best thing about the minshew trade. This snippet from espn on jalen hurts.

"But Hurts, 23, has four career starts under his belt."

Gotta say i got a chuckle or two reading that.

Is it true we get a 5th if he plays 50% of the snaps in 3 games?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-28-2021, 11:32 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Is it true we get a 5th if he plays 50% of the snaps in 3 games?

Yup

If the eagles season falls apart, minshew might get in there. Other than that, he might be stuck being a back up. Let's see how it plays out.