Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trevor and the WR group

I missed half the game but from what I saw there were drops and plenty of high throws and general off target throws. Not all bad, I did see some nice throws from Trevor 

So two questions...
1. Do you guys think the off target and high throws were from nerves, poor line play, or something else?
2. Box scores shows Chark was targeted 12 times, but only had 3 catches. You guys think it's just rust?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 04:56 PM by MoJagFan. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think the smarter than you highlighting Minshew to improve trade position in the preseason hurt some of the preparation. When you get pressure in the shotgun, it will throw you off.

We need more talent.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-12-2021, 04:53 PM)prime winner Wrote: I missed half the game but from what I saw there were drops and plenty of high throws and general off target throws. Not all bad, I did see some nice throws from Trevor 

So two questions...
1. Do you guys think the off target and high throws were from nerves, poor line play, or something else?
2. Box scores shows Chark was targeted 12 times, but only had 3 catches. You guys think it's just rust?

Out of synch, confused by the defense, and under pressure.

Chark looked ok, several of the targets weren't good throws even when he was wide open, and he made a good catch on the TD.

(09-12-2021, 04:55 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I think the smarter than you highlighting Minshew to improve trade position in the preseason hurt some of the preparation. When you get pressure in the shotgun, it will throw you off.

We need more talent.

NFL offenses can't use the Shotgun as the base set.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We need Gene Hackman as coach. He did a great job with The Replacements receivers.

(09-12-2021, 04:53 PM)prime winner Wrote: I missed half the game but from what I saw there were drops and plenty of high throws and general off target throws. Not all bad, I did see some nice throws from Trevor 

So two questions...

Trevor looked like nerves sparked a few overthrows. Normal rookie jitters. 

Looked like 5 or 6 incompletions were pressure related. (Pass rush)

The first two picks were Trevor not seeing the whole field and third was a really bad throw. 

Trevor will be fine if they can manufacture more consistent protection for him. (Not likely any time soon) 
So he may struggle this year as much as he shines.

Texans ran a defense similar to the Tampa 2. You MUST have a run game to get the LB out of passing lanes.

Jags should've came out pounding the rock.

It's hard to pass on a zone when the defenders are facing you.

Game plan was too pretty.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 06:18 PM by JagsFanSince95.)

(09-12-2021, 05:14 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Texans ran a defense similar to the Tampa 2. You MUST have a run game to get the LB out of passing lanes.

Pretty is a way to put it... Stupid seems a more astute observation. The stars all aligned to run the ball today, "dumpster fire" Texans, bad run defense.... 1000 yard rusher, decent RB2, and a rookie QB.  The table was set for a heavy dose of running the rock. I don't care about the 2 holding calls, run the damn ball! Your 1st 15 plays are 12 passes with a rookie at QB you are doing it way wrong. That was incompetence, stupidity, and down right wrong to place Lawrence in that position. That is not setting your team up to succeed and it's not a winning game plan, at all... In fact if I wanted to lose on purpose, I'd do exactly what Meyer and co. did today, throw 50 times with a rookie and run my top 100, 1000 yard rushing running back 5 [BLEEP] times. Angry

(09-12-2021, 06:18 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 05:14 PM)Mandeezee Wrote: Texans ran a defense similar to the Tampa 2. You MUST have a run game to get the LB out of passing lanes.

Pretty is a way to put it... Stupid seems a more astute observation. The stars all aligned to run the ball today, "dumpster fire" Texans, bad run defense.... 1000 yard rusher, decent RB2, and a rookie QB.  The table was set for a heavy dose of running the rock. I don't care about the 2 holding calls, run the damn ball! Your 1st 15 plays are 12 passes with a rookie at QB you are doing it way wrong. That was incompetence, stupidity, and down right wrong to place Lawrence in that position. That is not setting your team up to succeed and it's not a winning game plan, at all... In fact if I wanted to lose on purpose, I'd do exactly what Meyer and co. did today, throw 50 times with a rookie and run my top 100, 1000 yard rushing running back 5 [BLEEP] times. Angry

Agreed.

Gameplay was all wrong. As for Trevor and the WR's, sure looked like he could have used more reps with them during TC and OTA's rather than splitting them with Minshew. Timing was off on some plays, they were on different pages on where to expect the ball to be on some plays, drops that looked.like they were surprised by how fast the ball got to them, drops where they looked like they weren't used to the way he throws the ball, etc.... A lot of fixable stuff, which is good, but all hard to fix during the season.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 06:56 PM by Bullseye.)

(09-12-2021, 05:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

So two questions...

Trevor looked like nerves sparked a few overthrows. Normal rookie jitters. 

Looked like 5 or 6 incompletions were pressure related. (Pass rush)

The first two picks were Trevor not seeing the whole field and third was a really bad throw. 

Trevor will be fine if they can manufacture more consistent protection for him. (Not likely any time soon) 
So he may struggle this year as much as he shines.

I would have liked to see his performance if they weren't in long yardage due to penalties the whole game.  It started the first play and seemed to not end for the entire first quarter and a half.

I think those first 2-3 holding penalties wiped out 2 good runs and put the team in bad down and distance situations.  It kept the team from establishing the run and put them into passing situations.

We agree that imbalance is a concern, but I think the penalties-real and fictional-put the team in bad situatons.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I guess that video of Lawrence and the WRs on a lake having fun didn’t help.

(09-12-2021, 07:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I guess that video of Lawrence and the WRs on a lake having fun didn’t help.

I never watched that video . . . did the receivers drop everything that Lawrence handed them?
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2021, 08:57 PM by Lucky2Last.)

The receivers and Trevor were out of sync for sure. WAY too many dropped balls that also hurt the rhythm. I didn't think the offensive line looked bad at all. Couple boneheaded penalties, but 2 of those holding calls were as weak as I've ever seen.

Lawrence seemed to do well on seam throws. I would have liked to have seen more of that.

As these WR's play with Lawrence more and more, things will start to gel. They were used to being thrown softballs by Minshew, Glennon, Foles and who ever else we had back there at QB and now they are forced to catch fastballs by a real QB. It's gonna take some time to adjust. We've never had a QB with arm strength like this.

TLaw had jitters. He was putting too much on some routine throws, and that led to some drops. I think esp as 4th q came around the sense of urgency got him rushing things, but this is reassuring as it should wane as the weeks continue on. High passes are also prevalent with younger QB, I think a lot of it was trying to force the issue. He's gotta be careful with those especially, as they often tend to result in an INT for the safeties.

He played like a kid should play in their first game. We good.

Trevor definitely put too much zip on several of his passes. Charks drop a play or two after he made that one great seam catch was probably more on Trevor than Chark. Trying to do a curl at the sticks and the ball is there as you're turning with that velocity and a foot or two too high? That was an extremely difficult catch. Especially for a guy coming off hand surgery. I expect it will get much better as the season progresses.

(09-13-2021, 09:39 AM)Upper Wrote: Trevor definitely put too much zip on several of his passes. Charks drop a play or two after he made that one great seam catch was probably more on Trevor than Chark. Trying to do a curl at the sticks and the ball is there as you're turning with that velocity and a foot or two too high? That was an extremely difficult catch. Especially for a guy coming off hand surgery. I expect it will get much better as the season progresses.
The chemistry will build. We have a decent core three, and Trevor clearly does his film study based on some snap reads and throws he did yesterday

Oddly enough - I think the QB/WR issues will be the easiest to sort out from that long list of problems they tallied yesterday.

Unfortunately, when bad game planning and coaching are at the top of the list, there isn’t a lot of hope for other fixes.

Great breakdown by Trevor on his 3 interceptions.
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/gameday/j...-vs-texans
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Agreed
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.