Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Tacks Game

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:59 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-11-2021, 11:18 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Thanks Bullseye. Spot on observations as always. Some really good ones by others too. Now, my main takeaways from the game.
1. TE room. I think we are looking at a very serviceable group. Manhertz is a good blocker. Hollister is O'Shag 2.0, Farrell is a youngster that is learning fast both as a blocker and receiver. Dan Arnold is our biggest upgrade at TE in quite some time. He is still learning the offense and Trevor is still learning to trust him. I see a lot of potential if he and TLaw continue to grow that bond. Not a position of need anymore.
2. Shaq Griffin needs to start catching the ball!  Turnovers are very valuable and the stadium would have gone batshat crazy on that first Tack drive if he had pulled it off. Could have set the tone for the rest of the day.
3. O-line is about to become a shamble. Linder down, prolly for the year. Cann already gone. One more injury away and this line will be toast. Not to mention next year I expect Cann, Norwell and Robinson to be gone. With an oft injured , aging Linder that is four positions right there. Plus, Taylor is no great shakes either. Up until now the line has been serviceable but I can't see it going forward. That is going to be a problem for Trevor. So far he has weathered some big hits but they are cumulative. This is the number one priority for next year IMO.
4. Officiating did indeed suck yesterday and everyone has covered that enough.
5. Playcalling inside the 10 yard line wasn't too terribly bad until that 4th and one. Trevor made a couple of throws that, if on target , would have rendered that unneeded.  Bevell indeed is our own worst enemy on this
6. Defense. Actually didn't do too terribly bad until they were gashed in the 4th quarter.. However, there are still many holes to be filled. Injuries are piling up there as well. Myles is lost as an inside linebacker. He is best suited as an OLB. The single largest weakness this defense has is the short crossing routes. We consistently do a poor job of covering them. All too often a play that should not get more than 5 yards is a 10, 12 or 25 yard play.. Multiple times a game. 2nd half adjustments still lag behind the opposing teams and it must improve. All levels of the defense need to be upgraded tough i have liked Jenkins at safety and Griffin, for the most part, at CB.
7. Still on defense, Chaisson played pretty good in this game. Good to see it happen. Taven got held a couple of times, egregiously so once, and it didn't get called. Gotsis did perform very well also.
8. Finally, all  the noise about Urbs and last weekend did not seem to affect the team in the game. Was it a bad choice on his part? Absolutely. But beyond that, this was a firestorm stirred up by the media. Even our local media folks got into the feeding frenzy.  This was sooooo overblown as to be patently laughable as to what the media was trying to accomplish but that should prolly go to the political thread for discussion as earlier stated. The players went out and played as best they could and the coaches coached as best They could. Was it good enough? Nope but the hoopla didn't affect the play or attitude of either as far as I could tell

Oh, and how do I change my username? Need to drop that infinity sign off the end and replace with evah. That way I might be able to log on to the forum from my iphone ?  'Cause I will always be a fan of this team.

Others' observations and perspectives are why I make these posts.

1.  We view the TE room similarly.  Arnold is getting all of the buzz now because he is actually making a viable difference in the passing game.  That is something we just haven't seen from our TEs here.  But as much as he has contributed, the other guys are distinguishing themselves too.  Sadly, we need more from every position group to win.

2.  You are right.  The fact is, if he catches the early INT against Houston and the one in this tacks game, he changes the dynamic for us in both games.  To his credit, he acknowledges this.  Nevertheles, he, too, needs to improve if we are to finally win.

3.  I think it depends on who gets injured as to whether the line is toast.  If Norwell gets injured....yes, the OL is toast...at least for as long as Linder is out.  I don't want either of our Ts hurt, but at least we have Walker Little behind them.  He at east has the potential to actually improve the position, and he needs some game action.  I think whether either of the Ts get hurt or not, it would be prudent to get him some snaps and game experience.

5.  I do wonder what causes TL to miss so much on underneath stuff.  Just saw a video earlier in the week where Kurt Warner linked poor accuracy to delayed reads affecting footwork.  Not being a QB, I wouldn't have made that link in a billion years, but Warner made it make sense.  I would think some interior pressure might have contributed to it too.  I have also wondered if perhaps there might be some sort of mechanical flaw that creates that.  Or maybe, perish the thought, he just can't hit every pass all the time at this stage of his career.  But you are correct in that if he hits that pass to Shenault to the left, none of those other things come into play.  This is how the smallest mistake, the smallest lapse in execution, earns compound interest over the course of a series, half, game, and season.

6.  Gotsis gives us some good reps when he gets in the game.  While I am not prepared to say he is as good a player, in terms of his role and his contributions, he is this team's version of Rob Meier.  I hope Gotsis continues and improves his level of play.  As for the rest of the defense, Myles Jack perplexes me more and more.  He couldn't crack the starting lineup as a rookie.  He doesn't play well when he has to call the defense, but freed from that responsibility, he nearly flourishes.  For that matter, why didn't Meyer and Cullen know about this until week 5?!?   This was deemed common knowledge last year.  For a while, we seemed to have a nice respite from this, but this team's inability to cover the TE has returned with a vengeance.  Even with Chaisson playing his best game, I'm hearing the coverage that led to the TD by TE #85 for the tacks was Chaisson's blown coverage.  I'm not sure why you give a guy like Chaisson coverage responsibilities.  Granted he isn't a good pass rusher, but if you are going to run a 3-4, why use guys you drafted to rush the passer in coverage?

8.  There was some tempest in a teapot element to the whole thing, fueled by the combination of Jaguars antipathy and Meyer antipathy in the national media, the relative novelty of a head coach getting into an off field controversy, a video tape, and a woman.  That said, this was not a good look for Meyer at all, and there is no rule saying the impact of his actions were only going to be felt immediately.  Yes, it seemed like the team handled the situation relatively well and this may all blow over.  But there is still the possibility as this season progresses, his actions could reverberate throughout the year in ways that may or may not be readily apparent on the field.

P.S. As to your closing question, I am unsure how to change a username. I think that may be a question for the mods, even though I have been posting on these boards for a long time.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://twitter.com/LaurieFitzptrck/stat...vBf8g&s=19

This is happening way too much with the defense.

I suspect nothing that happens on the field will impact the front office or sidelines. Khan is very patient to a fault. We are stuck watching. Just like people passing by a wreck on the side of the road.

It is nice to see some improvement and potential. You have to wonder, if Etienne is healthy does Meyer further isolate Robinson.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-12-2021, 07:17 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I suspect nothing that happens on the field will impact the front office or sidelines. Khan is very patient to a fault. We are stuck watching. Just like people passing by a wreck on the side of the road.

It is nice to see some improvement and potential. You have to wonder, if Etienne is healthy does Meyer further isolate Robinson.

It would be ETN, Hyde, and Ogunbawale. They would've dealt JRob for a ham sandwich.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-12-2021, 02:12 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/LaurieFitzptrck/stat...vBf8g&s=19

Wilson has no business trying to cover anybody, period. Dude is a massive liability in pass coverage and it's been a theme in every game so far.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 09:03 PM by Bullseye.)

(10-12-2021, 07:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 02:12 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/LaurieFitzptrck/stat...vBf8g&s=19

Wilson has no business trying to cover anybody, period. Dude is a massive liability in pass coverage and it's been a theme in every game so far.

He is a liability in coverage.

In fact, I'd say he's a bigger liability in pass coverage than Schobert was in run defense.

(10-12-2021, 07:17 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I suspect nothing that happens on the field will impact the front office or sidelines. Khan is very patient to a fault. We are stuck watching. Just like people passing by a wreck on the side of the road.

(emphasis added)

It's interesting how that perception has changed over time.

When he first bought the team, the prevailing thought was that he'd be quicker to fire a coach than Weaver.

Now?

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Khan is less patient with bad coaches than Weaver.

(10-12-2021, 07:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

I'm all for trying out some big nickel. Get Cisco in there on those downs.

(10-13-2021, 01:38 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 07:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Wilson has no business trying to cover anybody, period. Dude is a massive liability in pass coverage and it's been a theme in every game so far.

Well, that makes too much sense to actually, you know, implement.

(10-13-2021, 01:38 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 07:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Wilson has no business trying to cover anybody, period. Dude is a massive liability in pass coverage and it's been a theme in every game so far.

Jenkins has a lot of experience at nickel, his Chargers snaps were split almost exactly 1/3 at nickel, FS, and SS. I said when we signed him I hope we did it to use his versatility in the 3S/joker role. Granted, that was Cisco at FS, Jenkins at 3S, and Wilson at SS. I don't think Wingard could play SS.

(10-13-2021, 01:38 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

I looked up Cisco's stats, and it appears that he played a lot of snaps the first two games, and no snaps at all in the last 3 games.  Is it possible he's re-aggravated that knee injury?

He should be on the injury report then.

(10-13-2021, 09:05 AM)Upper Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 01:38 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I'm all for trying out some big nickel. Get Cisco in there on those downs.

Jenkins has a lot of experience at nickel, his Chargers snaps were split almost exactly 1/3 at nickel, FS, and SS. I said when we signed him I hope we did it to use his versatility in the 3S/joker role. Granted, that was Cisco at FS, Jenkins at 3S, and Wilson at SS. I don't think Wingard could play SS.

Yeah, it seems to make quite a bit of sense. 

(10-13-2021, 09:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 01:38 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I'm all for trying out some big nickel. Get Cisco in there on those downs.

I looked up Cisco's stats, and it appears that he played a lot of snaps the first two games, and no snaps at all in the last 3 games.  Is it possible he's re-aggravated that knee injury?

If he was getting rest days in practice that would hold more water.

(10-13-2021, 09:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

30% of the Defensive snaps in game 1, 26% in game 2, 0% in the last 3.

54% of the Special Teams snaps in game 1, 56% in game 2, 69% in 3, 65% in 4 and 65% in game 5.

His knee is fine.