Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Tacks Game

while the discussion goes on about the HC OC being dumb af and blaming everyone else. Can we talk how good the Def got when jack went out and quartermain went in. Such a huge difference in run and pass defense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-10-2021, 08:38 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: while the discussion goes on about the HC OC being dumb af and blaming everyone else. Can we talk how good the Def got when jack went out and quartermain went in. Such a huge difference in run and pass defense.
Huh? Didn’t Henry run for 2 TDs when Jack went out? He also ran for 39 yards on one of the drives and a TD in the 4th.

(10-10-2021, 08:38 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: while the discussion goes on about the HC OC being dumb af and blaming everyone else. Can we talk how good the Def got when jack went out and quartermain went in. Such a huge difference in run and pass defense.

It seems like if you show this coaching staff any kind of ability to play better than the guy you replace, it’s the quickest way to get your PT cut.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2021, 09:00 PM by JAGFAN88.)

(10-10-2021, 08:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Huh? Didn’t Henry run for 2 TDs when Jack went out? He also ran for 39 yards on one of the drives and a TD in the 4th.

4th quarter garbage time stats Tongue

(10-10-2021, 08:44 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:

It seems like if you show this coaching staff any kind of ability to play better than the guy you replace, it’s the quickest way to get your PT cut.

yea Jrob 100 yards first half only to touch the ball 6 times in second half smh

(10-10-2021, 05:21 PM)Upper Wrote: The dire Meyer tire fire hire backfire quagmire continues.

I hurt my tongue trying to repeat that aloud
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I thought the offense was much more in sync and alot more consistent. Still lacking wr seperation at least from my tv view.

The defense played better in each quarter, but Refs handed them 14 points.

Would like to see some turnovers, we can't seem to even buy 1.

Chaisson and Gostis had good games.

Those missed xps and FG are really hurting us. Had we not missed that we go due 3 instead of on 4th and we don't go two. It's a way closer game.

Lawrence just missed on a couple tbrows, not exactly sure why, pressure throws or just throwing to far in front and the receivers can't catch up.

Coaches not sure if i should be happy to see team improving, or be upset to see them take robinson out of the game in for goaline situation when he was averaging 8 ypc.

Some of this just makes you shake your head.

I'm excited where this team is headed just hope sooner than later the light turns on and we start winning. The division is horrible so anyone can win it.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2021, 01:00 AM by TheDuke007.)

(10-10-2021, 06:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Again my biggest takeaway is why this coaching staff just can't get it... Good things happen when you give Robinson the ball. He was killing them all day 8.3ypc yet they continue to go away from him. Give the man the damn ball.
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/1447318102312640514
He had over 100 yards in the 1st half alone.

It's amazingly bad coaching.  We don't use JRob when it's 1st and goal from the 5, but we use him when we are down by 3 scores with less than 2 minutes left in the game.  It's insane.

(10-10-2021, 07:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/Chukwu77/status/1447...01345?s=20

Why does virtually everyone see this except Meyer and Bevell?

Frankly, it's become patently obvious that we're the new Browns. We're the team that will always find a way to mess it up, always shoot ourselves in the foot, always draft poorly, always be unable to retain our talent. We'll hire the wrong people and keep them for too long.

We're the factory of sadness now.

(10-10-2021, 05:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  I hereby advocate for the creation of a new stat:  Referee Assisted TD (RAT).  The need for such a stat was made obvious today, as the tacks first two TDs were complete fictions created by the officials.  First, there is no conceivably honest, legitimate way that was a fumble.  It's questionable whether it was even a completion.  There is certainly no [BLEEP] way he could have been construed to have made a football move sufficient for a fumble to have been ruled on that play.  Even Gene Steratore, the CBS replay guru, said as much.  In light of the Myles Jack wasn't down play in the AFC Championship a few years back, it's even more infuriating.  The Tacks' 2nd TD was made possible by a completely fabricated pass interference call against Claybrooks on a 3rd down stop.  The only person who saw P.I. on the play was the official who threw the flag.  The announcers didn't see it.  I didn't see it.  The fans in the stadium didn't see it.  Even the tack WR didn't push for the flag.  Considering the officials did NOT throw a P.I. flag in the end zone when the tack defender had clear contact with Arnold, I openly question their impartiality.  Spare me the indignation over that line.  I picked the tacks to win and they are the better team.  But that was far from an honestly officiated game.  The tacks are hard enough to beat without blatantly biased officiating.

2.  Here we are five games into the season, and we still don't have a made FG.  Our kicker of the week, Matt Wright, left four points on the field by missing an extra point and a FG that hit the cross bar on a kick >50 yards.  What did Jaguars fans do to deserve this?!?

3.  For the second week in a row, we have suffered a serious injury to the interior of the OL, this time to Brandon Linder.  Many of us were pushing for a heavy offseason/draft emphasis on the offensive line.  I wonder how much more the line can endure before Trevor Lawrence starts feeling the adverse impacts.  Get well soon, Linder.

4.  Typically, I am not a bash the playcalling guy.  But in my 44 years of football fandom, I've not seen an offensive coordinator as absolutely clueless and addled in the red zone/goal line as Darrell Bevell.  As egregious as that fateful play call in the Super bowl was when he got away from Beast mode against New England, you figure it was the Super Bowl and the pivotal moments.  I could see him maybe getting caught up in the moment.  But it seems he learned nothing from that failure.  His goal line ineptitude has plagued us the past two weeks.  It certainly cost us the Bengals game, and precluded the possibility of us rallying to beat the tacks.

5.     I have to give kudos to James Robinson, who had a superb game today.  Too bad his effort was wasted between egregious officiating, pass defense and goal line play calling.

6.  As bad as the pass defense was, and even though the stats showed Derrick henry had over 100 yards, I thought the run defense held up well against Derrick Henry.  There were several times he was stuffed for no gain or minus yardage, and they stopped him from getting huge runs.

7.     Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-Showed more signs of progress interspersed with accuracy issues.  I thought there were times his pocket presence was shaky, and other times he was precluded from utilizing his pocket presence due to some pocket collapse.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP. 

C.  Tyson Campbell-DNP

D.  Walker Little-Active but DNP that I saw.

E.  Andre Cisco-DNP that I saw

F.  Jay Tufele-actually had a Jay Tufele sighting this week, but did not see him make any plays.

G.  Jordan Smith-Did not see him active

H.  Luke Farrell, active this week.  Saw him make a catch.

8.     This may have been the best game of K'Lavon Chaisson's career.  He actually had impact.  Hopefully he can improve.

9.    The 58 yard Laviska Shenault catch and run is, at the moment, the offensive play of the year.  He showed determination and not being tackled, good balance, strength, and an excellent stiff arm.

10.  Bottom line:  Considering the salacious, almost Jerrry Springer-esque dysfunction surrounding the coach this week, I thought the team showed some fight.  There weren't a whole lot of stupid penalties or signs of quit.  There were signs, despite the alarmist reports from some media talking heads, that meyer has NOT lost the team.  Despite this, the pass defense continues to be atrocious. We will need to find a way to get better play out of the interior OL and get more play from the receivers.  The defense must step up and make some more plays.  This losing has gotten way past old, and the modest signs of improvement are not nearly enough to overcome the indignities of losing 20 straight and a coach whose activities earn him more mentions in the gossip columns than the sports section.

P.S.  Screw the tacks!

I said when they brought this kicker in that I didn't like it, because he had a weak leg. He had a career long of only 50 yards and that was back in college. He doesn't have an NFL leg. With all the Kickers out there on the open market, why bring in someone who can't kick "big boy" field goals? It made no sense to me. Another blunder by Meyer.

(10-10-2021, 06:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-10-2021, 05:42 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Indeed another rough day Bullseye 

1- The calls weren't the reason we lost but they certainly swung some momentum. The old saying is these calls even themselves out over the course of a season in which case we a due a butt load. No idea how they called the Arnold catch a fumble and the no call PI was just a pure choke job by the zebra. Add a few plays later the Lawrence TD overturned on a not clear and obvious replay and one play later Linder is down and its a turnover on downs. Turned a 5pt game back to a 13pt game and killed any chance we had. Just one of those days where whatever calls the refs made, they went the T*tans way

2- Its another embarrassing stat. Not 1 made FG through 6 games. You need to keep adding to that scoreboard and we aren't good enough to just score TD'S. They need to make a decision with Lambo, however painful it may be but the fact this has rumbled on for 6 weeks is a bad look for the coaching staff

3- Twitter is saying apparently Linders injury isnt as serious as first thought so fingers crossed.

4- Bevell seems to just outsmart himself on the 1yd line. Like everyone expects me to run so ill pass! The reason everyone expects a run is that its one stinking yard. You should get that just falling forwards. We have a 6'6 QB, just get him to reach over like Brees would do. 

5- Robinson was fantastic today, great run to get us that early TD after the fumble TD. Sadly seemed to move away while the game was close and not sure why he wasnt in for the 4th and 1

6- Pass D still looks a real worry and we were getting killed on the drag routes. We did ok against Henry, even with his stat line but the lack of pass rush and blown coverages are a toxic cocktail 

9- That run from Viska was great. His refusal to go down and fight for yards was brilliant but sadly one play. We need more of that effort from all over.

You can see the team trying and fighting but the mental errors cost us big and we beat ourselves with missed kicks and poor execution way too much still. Big game next Sunday against Miami and a big chance to snap this streak but this fanbase is worn down. 20 L's in a row is brutal and we need a W, cant keep focusing on progress.

1.  As I said in response to another post, I don't think the calls even themselves out.  If preconceived notions are allowed to be utilized in officiating games, the officiating will almost always be unfair.  It seems the same teams get reamed by the officials every year.  That no call P.I on Arnold in the aftermath of that invented call on Claybrooks was an outrage.  The refs reached for his flag, for [BLEEP]'s sake!  What changed between reaching for his flag and the end of the play to cause him NOT to throw it?!?

3.  Hopefully twitter is right and he can return to action soon.  I like Shatley, don't get me wrong.  But we're better with Linder.

4.  He just has the propensity to get cute down there.  Just pound it in!

I haven't seen the broadcast yet, but I listened to Lageman and Boselli on the way home from the game, and according to them, the 4th and 1 inch play where Hyde lost yardage was designed to just pound it in.  The problem was, one of our offensive linemen, they said it was Jawaan Taylor, whiffed on his block, so the play got blown up and Hyde was forced to try to bounce it outside.  

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Trevor Lawrence looks really good.   We always said the most important thing for this season was to find out if we finally have a franchise QB, and to my eye, the answer is a resounding yes.  Our biggest problem is obviously defense.

I think the selection of Matthew Wright as kicker was dictated by availability.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2021, 06:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

(10-11-2021, 03:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-10-2021, 05:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  I hereby advocate for the creation of a new stat:  Referee Assisted TD (RAT).  The need for such a stat was made obvious today, as the tacks first two TDs were complete fictions created by the officials.  First, there is no conceivably honest, legitimate way that was a fumble.  It's questionable whether it was even a completion.  There is certainly no [BLEEP] way he could have been construed to have made a football move sufficient for a fumble to have been ruled on that play.  Even Gene Steratore, the CBS replay guru, said as much.  In light of the Myles Jack wasn't down play in the AFC Championship a few years back, it's even more infuriating.  The Tacks' 2nd TD was made possible by a completely fabricated pass interference call against Claybrooks on a 3rd down stop.  The only person who saw P.I. on the play was the official who threw the flag.  The announcers didn't see it.  I didn't see it.  The fans in the stadium didn't see it.  Even the tack WR didn't push for the flag.  Considering the officials did NOT throw a P.I. flag in the end zone when the tack defender had clear contact with Arnold, I openly question their impartiality.  Spare me the indignation over that line.  I picked the tacks to win and they are the better team.  But that was far from an honestly officiated game.  The tacks are hard enough to beat without blatantly biased officiating.

2.  Here we are five games into the season, and we still don't have a made FG.  Our kicker of the week, Matt Wright, left four points on the field by missing an extra point and a FG that hit the cross bar on a kick >50 yards.  What did Jaguars fans do to deserve this?!?

3.  For the second week in a row, we have suffered a serious injury to the interior of the OL, this time to Brandon Linder.  Many of us were pushing for a heavy offseason/draft emphasis on the offensive line.  I wonder how much more the line can endure before Trevor Lawrence starts feeling the adverse impacts.  Get well soon, Linder.

4.  Typically, I am not a bash the playcalling guy.  But in my 44 years of football fandom, I've not seen an offensive coordinator as absolutely clueless and addled in the red zone/goal line as Darrell Bevell.  As egregious as that fateful play call in the Super bowl was when he got away from Beast mode against New England, you figure it was the Super Bowl and the pivotal moments.  I could see him maybe getting caught up in the moment.  But it seems he learned nothing from that failure.  His goal line ineptitude has plagued us the past two weeks.  It certainly cost us the Bengals game, and precluded the possibility of us rallying to beat the tacks.

5.     I have to give kudos to James Robinson, who had a superb game today.  Too bad his effort was wasted between egregious officiating, pass defense and goal line play calling.

6.  As bad as the pass defense was, and even though the stats showed Derrick henry had over 100 yards, I thought the run defense held up well against Derrick Henry.  There were several times he was stuffed for no gain or minus yardage, and they stopped him from getting huge runs.

7.     Rookie Watch:

A.  Trevor Lawrence-Showed more signs of progress interspersed with accuracy issues.  I thought there were times his pocket presence was shaky, and other times he was precluded from utilizing his pocket presence due to some pocket collapse.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP. 

C.  Tyson Campbell-DNP

F.  Jay Tufele-actually had a Jay Tufele sighting this week, but did not see him make any plays.

8.     This may have been the best game of K'Lavon Chaisson's career.  He actually had impact.  Hopefully he can improve.

9.    The 58 yard Laviska Shenault catch and run is, at the moment, the offensive play of the year.  He showed determination and not being tackled, good balance, strength, and an excellent stiff arm.

10.  Bottom line:  Considering the salacious, almost Jerrry Springer-esque dysfunction surrounding the coach this week, I thought the team showed some fight.  There weren't a whole lot of stupid penalties or signs of quit.  There were signs, despite the alarmist reports from some media talking heads, that meyer has NOT lost the team.  Despite this, the pass defense continues to be atrocious. We will need to find a way to get better play out of the interior OL and get more play from the receivers.  The defense must step up and make some more plays.  This losing has gotten way past old, and the modest signs of improvement are not nearly enough to overcome the indignities of losing 20 straight and a coach whose activities earn him more mentions in the gossip columns than the sports section.

P.S.  Screw the tacks!

I said when they brought this kicker in that I didn't like it, because he had a weak leg. He had a career long of only 50 yards and that was back in college. He doesn't have an NFL leg. With all the Kickers out there on the open market, why bring in someone who can't kick "big boy" field goals? It made no sense to me. Another blunder by Meyer.

When you go into the market during the season to get a kicker, you want a guy who can 1) hit an extra point, and 2) hit a reasonably distant FG.  It's really asking too much to also get a guy who can hit a FG from beyond 50 yards.  There's a reason they're on the street without a job.  

Of course, in this case, it's a whiff.  This guy can't even hit extra points reliably.

(10-11-2021, 01:23 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Frankly, it's become patently obvious that we're the new Browns.  We're the team that will always find a way to mess it up, always shoot ourselves in the foot, always draft poorly, always be unable to retain our talent.  We'll hire the wrong people and keep them for too long.

We're the factory of sadness now.

Yes, it's amazing the fans keep showing up.  It was a good crowd yesterday.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2021, 11:21 AM by DTWD4∞. Edited 1 time in total.)

Thanks Bullseye. Spot on observations as always. Some really good ones by others too. Now, my main takeaways from the game.
1. TE room. I think we are looking at a very serviceable group. Manhertz is a good blocker. Hollister is O'Shag 2.0, Farrell is a youngster that is learning fast both as a blocker and receiver. Dan Arnold is our biggest upgrade at TE in quite some time. He is still learning the offense and Trevor is still learning to trust him. I see a lot of potential if he and TLaw continue to grow that bond. Not a position of need anymore.
2. Shaq Griffin needs to start catching the ball! Turnovers are very valuable and the stadium would have gone batshat crazy on that first Tack drive if he had pulled it off. Could have set the tone for the rest of the day.
3. O-line is about to become a shamble. Linder down, prolly for the year. Cann already gone. One more injury away and this line will be toast. Not to mention next year I expect Cann, Norwell and Robinson to be gone. With an oft injured , aging Linder that is four positions right there. Plus, Taylor is no great shakes either. Up until now the line has been serviceable but I can't see it going forward. That is going to be a problem for Trevor. So far he has weathered some big hits but they are cumulative. This is the number one priority for next year IMO.
4. Officiating did indeed suck yesterday and everyone has covered that enough.
5. Playcalling inside the 10 yard line wasn't too terribly bad until that 4th and one. Trevor made a couple of throws that, if on target , would have rendered that unneeded. Bevell indeed is our own worst enemy on this
6. Defense. Actually didn't do too terribly bad until they were gashed in the 4th quarter.. However, there are still many holes to be filled. Injuries are piling up there as well. Myles is lost as an inside linebacker. He is best suited as an OLB. The single largest weakness this defense has is the short crossing routes. We consistently do a poor job of covering them. All too often a play that should not get more than 5 yards is a 10, 12 or 25 yard play.. Multiple times a game. 2nd half adjustments still lag behind the opposing teams and it must improve. All levels of the defense need to be upgraded tough i have liked Jenkins at safety and Griffin, for the most part, at CB.
7. Still on defense, Chaisson played pretty good in this game. Good to see it happen. Taven got held a couple of times, egregiously so once, and it didn't get called. Gotsis did perform very well also.
8. Finally, all the noise about Urbs and last weekend did not seem to affect the team in the game. Was it a bad choice on his part? Absolutely. But beyond that, this was a firestorm stirred up by the media. Even our local media folks got into the feeding frenzy. This was sooooo overblown as to be patently laughable as to what the media was trying to accomplish but that should prolly go to the political thread for discussion as earlier stated. The players went out and played as best they could and the coaches coached as best They could. Was it good enough? Nope but the hoopla didn't affect the play or attitude of either as far as I could tell

Oh, and how do I change my username? Need to drop that infinity sign off the end and replace with evah. That way I might be able to log on to the forum from my iphone ? 'Cause I will always be a fan of this team.

We enjoyed our quick trip down to Jacksonville. Been awhile since I've been back there. I saw several posts in the gameday thread about how good the crowd was...the stadium was about 2/3 full and didn't seem overly loud to me, but maybe it's an improvement over other weeks? Fans were friendly, but the ones in our section (226) all had full expectations that the Jags would find a way to lose. That has to be a sad place to be as a fan. Have to agree that a few of the calls were questionable, but I don't think it was enough to determine the outcome of the game. Robinson was very impressive, and your defense did a good job of not letting Henry go off. Got the scoop on what's happened with Lambo from one of the Jags fans in front of us...yikes...is it something in the water in Jacksonville?

Good luck in London next week and we'll see you in Nashville later this season.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

One more thought I didnt say in my original post. Trevor took a couple big shots but he also had a number of plays where after being tackled his head slammed on the turf. His mobility adds a nice dimension but I think he is taking far too many shots. He needs to get down but I also think some of it is out of desperation to make a play while coming from behind.

(10-11-2021, 11:52 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: We enjoyed our quick trip down to Jacksonville.  Been awhile since I've been back there.  I saw several posts in the gameday thread about how good the crowd was...the stadium was about 2/3 full and didn't seem overly loud to me, but maybe it's an improvement over other weeks?  Fans were friendly, but the ones in our section (226) all had full expectations that the Jags would find a way to lose.  That has to be a sad place to be as a fan.  Have to agree that a few of the calls were questionable, but I don't think it was enough to determine the outcome of the game.  Robinson was very impressive, and your defense did a good job of not letting Henry go off.  Got the scoop on what's happened with Lambo from one of the Jags fans in front of us...yikes...is it something in the water in Jacksonville? 

Considering we are probably going to break the consecutive losses record yeah I give it to the fans. 

Glad you had a good time but when haven't Tacks enjoyed our stadium. I wish it wasn't so but we are who we are. Honestly your team should win this crap division running away once your players heal up.

It came off as really loud in first quarter on tv.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-11-2021, 11:52 AM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: We enjoyed our quick trip down to Jacksonville.  Been awhile since I've been back there.  I saw several posts in the gameday thread about how good the crowd was...the stadium was about 2/3 full and didn't seem overly loud to me, but maybe it's an improvement over other weeks?  Fans were friendly, but the ones in our section (226) all had full expectations that the Jags would find a way to lose.  That has to be a sad place to be as a fan.  Have to agree that a few of the calls were questionable, but I don't think it was enough to determine the outcome of the game.  Robinson was very impressive, and your defense did a good job of not letting Henry go off.  Got the scoop on what's happened with Lambo from one of the Jags fans in front of us...yikes...is it something in the water in Jacksonville? 

With how bad this team is, I would say 2/3 is good. There were probably more tickets sold then 2/3 but many no-shows (I could be recalling wrong, but Trevor hype drove up season ticket sales this year).

(10-11-2021, 12:35 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:

With how bad this team is, I would say 2/3 is good. There were probably more tickets sold then 2/3 but many no-shows (I could be recalling wrong, but Trevor hype drove up season ticket sales this year).

It was a great day weather-wise, so I'm sure many decided to spend their time doing other things.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

My apologies if this has been posted already.  It’s nothing that hasn’t been already on this board. But when others say it.  It hits home a bit more. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-worst-los...g-the-pain

(10-11-2021, 03:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

7.     Rookie Watch:

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP. 

C.  Tyson Campbell-DNP

P.S.  Screw the tacks!

Yep.

TBH I don't really scout kickers.

Much respect to you!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!