Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
California to ban gas lawn mowers, leaf blowers

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 11:28 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(10-12-2021, 03:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Battery powered equipment might be an option for some home owners, but not for me.  When your "lawn" is measured in acres rather than feet and walkways that need a leaf blower is measured in miles rather than feet, battery power is just not efficient.  Give me my diesel powered mower and gas powered leaf blower any day.

Electric mowers are great; you can mow at night.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 11:44 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

(10-12-2021, 07:06 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 06:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I'll probably get me a few goats, but not necessarily for grass.  There is a massive vine problem in some areas (I think Kudzu?) as well as numerous saplings that need to stay in check.  However it's going to produce goat farts.  Are they as "bad" as cow farts?  I can't get them until I put the infrastructure in place for them (shelter).  The problem is that I don't like goat meat so I would have to get rid of them when they are ready for slaughter and I don't know if there is much demand for that.

As far as the deal with my neighbor, I'll basically get 2 cows a year.  How much beef it turns out to be will depend on their weight when we slaughter them.  It should be plenty enough to fill my freezers and give some to my other family members.

Once we are a bit more established chickens and pigs might be added.  Combine the animals and the trees/garden that we have planned we will almost be self-sustaining.

What kills me right now is that I'm burning whole trees (mostly hickory and oak).  I have more wood than I know what to do with it.  My wife wants to sell firewood and that's fine, she has the time for it (she retired this year).  I don't have the time for it right now.

Just guessing goat and cow farts are more acceptable than my farts.  

If you guys can sell the oak and hickory, I say do it.  Sounds like youve got plenty and the means to split it.There are guys like me that get off on either using it in an Egg or a smoker or just flat out burning it and cooking off it in a fire pit.  But “location, location,location”.  I’m sure your “neighbors” do the same. That or use their own. So I’m sure an ad on crackheads list for firewood to sell to us city folk would be in order.  Good luck dealing with those yahoo’s.  I say burn it and have a bonfire or get together.

Are cow/goat/deer/gazelle/panther/cheetah/etc/etc/<<insert name of your favorite flatuent wild animal here>> farts really a thing? has this been studied? I'm not aware of this, and it sounds ridiculous on the surface. Were there fewer cows on this earth in the past and now they are somehow this massive global climate problem? I mean, I could see being overwhelmed by the smell of cow farts if I lived in, say, India, but this sounds like a whole lot of grasping at the wind by people who should really have more pressing problems to solve. I'm guessing I might personally produce more CO2/sulpher dioxide than most of the animals previously listed. Maybe they should get me in a lab and run some tests.. Look forward to being enlightened.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption