Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Absolutely Ridiculous Article

Oh well. Sorry for the interruption. Continue on complaining I guess

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In 2005 when we made the playoffs, Garrard started a few times and kept the Jags in playoff contention. The worst thing to do was go back to Leftwich, because we got smoked by New England.

The writing was on the wall in the summer of 2007. Garrard won it fair and square and led us to the playoffs and only threw 3 picks.

Other than 2005 and 2007, Garrard was a 3rd string type of QB.

(12-10-2021, 09:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: In 2005 when we made the playoffs, Garrard started a few times and kept the Jags in playoff contention. The worst thing to do was go back to Leftwich, because we got smoked by New England.

The writing was on the wall in the summer of 2007. Garrard won it fair and square and led us to the playoffs and only threw 3 picks.

Eh, he wasn't that bad, he just was a low level starter sort of QB. He could do a decent job as long as he didn't need to be able to make a play with his arm to lift the team. The best he could do in a pressure situation is maybe a run.

I haven't looked at it too closely since I don't believe Urban Meyer will be fired.  My favorites at the moment would be Brian Daboll, Josh McDainels or Kellen Moore.  Eric Bieniemy could be excellent, but also seems to be risky.   How much of his success is Reid's influence?  Bieniemy also has a very long record of prior misconduct.  I have trouble getting into Byron Leftwich.  I know he's considered one of the hot coaches, but I think he has a very talented roster.  I never thought he was all that smart of a player and didn't sound particularly smart in interviews.  I also think he's a bad fit in Jacksonville as many fans do hate him.  He would have an unfairly short leash with many fans and that's not good.

(12-11-2021, 04:02 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I haven't looked at it too closely since I don't believe Urban Meyer will be fired.  My favorites at the moment would be Brian Daboll, Josh McDainels or Kellen Moore.  Eric Bieniemy could be excellent, but also seems to be risky.   How much of his success is Reid's influence?  Bieniemy also has a very long record of prior misconduct.  I have trouble getting into Byron Leftwich.  I know he's considered one of the hot coaches, but I think he has a very talented roster.  I never thought he was all that smart of a player and didn't sound particularly smart in interviews.  I also think he's a bad fit in Jacksonville as many fans do hate him.  He would have an unfairly short leash with many fans and that's not good.

When was the last time?
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I live off nostalgia. I would be so pumped to see Leftwich. But I have no idea if he's actually good.

People here seem to have a strong opinion one way or the other. Any particular reason why?
s
;

;

(12-10-2021, 09:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: In 2005 when we made the playoffs, Garrard started a few times and kept the Jags in playoff contention. The worst thing to do was go back to Leftwich, because we got smoked by New England.

You obviously never saw him play. Garrard was a decent starter for the era, not a superstar but a solid player. He got a rep as a game manager because he tended to play it safe but is still the second best QB we've ever had on the team (until Lawrence comes of age).
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-09-2021, 08:47 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 05:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: You would be in a small minority.  People hated BL when he was here before. 

People would still hate him if he returned.  In fact, it would be doubtful if he wanted to return for that very reason.  I think he would make a good coach though.

Some people hated him as a player because of a perceived lack of work ethic. I think his relative success as a coordinator would get people over that hump though. He'll be a good head coach one day.
(12-11-2021, 04:02 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I haven't looked at it too closely since I don't believe Urban Meyer will be fired.  My favorites at the moment would be Brian Daboll, Josh McDainels or Kellen Moore.  Eric Bieniemy could be excellent, but also seems to be risky.   How much of his success is Reid's influence?  Bieniemy also has a very long record of prior misconduct.  I have trouble getting into Byron Leftwich.  I know he's considered one of the hot coaches, but I think he has a very talented roster.  I never thought he was all that smart of a player and didn't sound particularly smart in interviews.  I also think he's a bad fit in Jacksonville as many fans do hate him.  He would have an unfairly short leash with many fans and that's not good.
This was the problem with BL. His body language just seemed like he wasn't that invested in the game and wasn't making smart decisions. When you appear to be similar to Bryan in IQ level, it's hard to see him as a coach. Maybe he is nothing like that off the field or has made a change, I don't know. If he was the coach, I would hope they question him throughly to see if he is making a difference or if it's just Brady.

The next coaching hire has to be a home run because the fans will already be gone.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Garrard led us to the playoffs and won playoff games. He was a legit 1st level starter. To call him 3rd string is just ignorant.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I just want a coach who knows how to coach Pro football players and take some accountability. Evidently this coach has no idea how to do that!

I don't think Khan is going to replace UM after 1 year, but if he did I'd like Byron Leftwich. Young guy, hungry, comes from a winning program in TB

Going to mention Jim Caldwell here. I don't think I have seen his name come up a lot.

He had success in Detroit. In an interesting NFC North during his time there.

Wouldn't hurt to give him a look. I think he would work wonders with Lawrence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-12-2021, 12:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Going to mention Jim Caldwell here. I don't think I have seen his name come up a lot.

Yeah, good suggestion. I always felt like he got a bum deal when he was let go, they certainly haven't found anyone better since he was gone.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2021, 09:57 AM by Brett. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-12-2021, 12:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Going to mention Jim Caldwell here. I don't think I have seen his name come up a lot.

Good suggestion. I wouldn't mind that at all, especially at this point.

(12-13-2021, 09:57 AM)Brett Wrote:

Good suggestion. I wouldn't mind that at all, especially at this point.

Agreed. He's the last quality coach that Detroit had. Sorry Mark.....
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption