Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Your GM Candidates

(12-18-2021, 09:59 PM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: i am not convinced that Shad will even can Baalke... we all know he 'SHOULD' but...

4 weeks ago 90% of the board said he wouldn’t can Meyer

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Breer said on NFL Network that he didn't expect Baalke to be back next season.

(12-19-2021, 01:01 AM)Upper Wrote: Breer said on NFL Network that he didn't expect Baalke to be back next season.

[Image: so-its-time-to-be-happy-again-3-swag-9569782.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 06:55 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

Posted my thoughts in a few other threads on this. I think, again, you have to approach these next two hires as a combination from the same organization.

In no particular order:

Eliot Wolf & Josh McDaniels from New England
Will McClay & Kellen Moore from Dallas
Joe Horitz & Greg Roman (Or, possibly Jim Caldwell) from Baltimore
JoJo Wooden & Joe Lombardi from Los Angeles
Mike Borgonzi & Eric Bieniemy from Kansas City

If you're not looking at current coaches and personnel you can honestly look at possibly Rick Smith & Doug Pederson or Jim Caldwell. That combination could probably work. I keep hearing about Mike Tomlin on the move with Pittsburgh. Not 100% I am capable of buying into that right now. Doesn't seem like something the Steelers and Rooney family would do. There's really no cause for that. They need to get him a Quarterback to develop again and he'll probably continue to do what he does up there.

I don't like him as a fit down here though. It's nothing personal. I just think the goal should be elevating and making Lawrence as comfortable, competent and confident as possible in year two at this level and the fastest way to do that is to fully commit to an offensive minded headcoach that's probably going to be running the offense primarily on his own during gameday and will be fully invested in his Quarterback. Tomlin doesn't have that skillset in my opinion and he honestly never had to have it as he already had a solid QB to work with who was successful pretty much from the day he took the field.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Ask Vic:

Bryan from Wauwatosa, WI
If not Byron, how about another former Jaguar in Nathaniel Hackett? He has roots with the team, is an innovative offensive mind to mentor Lawrence, and -- perhaps, most importantly -- seems to be the absolute antithesis to Meyer.

As I've written, I think the whole thing needs blown up, again. I think Khan needs to find a GM or a president of football operations or whatever he wants to title that person, and then turn the football operation over to him. The No. 1 issue right now, in my mind, is who is going to advise Khan in finding that man? He needs to turn a deaf ear to the people in his building and seek advice from the outside. The Jaguars don't need a play-caller. They need a man who knows how to manage an NFL franchise.

(12-18-2021, 09:59 PM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: i am not convinced that Shad will even can Baalke... we all know he 'SHOULD' but...

The biggest hint that he will, IMO, is when Khan said that he wouldn't comment further until the end of the season. That's a big signal to me that says "Baalke shouldn't get too comfortable in his office." I might be reading too much into it, but it just feels like a "I'm also looking for a general manager" type of statement.

Absolutely. At the very least Khan will be looking into whether Baalke is the right guy. Hopefully he'll see what most of us see.

(12-20-2021, 02:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Ask Vic:

Bryan from Wauwatosa, WI
If not Byron, how about another former Jaguar in Nathaniel Hackett? He has roots with the team, is an innovative offensive mind to mentor Lawrence, and -- perhaps, most importantly -- seems to be the absolute antithesis to Meyer.

As I've written, I think the whole thing needs blown up, again. I think Khan needs to find a GM or a president of football operations or whatever he wants to title that person, and then turn the football operation over to him. The No. 1 issue right now, in my mind, is who is going to advise Khan in finding that man? He needs to turn a deaf ear to the people in his building and seek advice from the outside. The Jaguars don't need a play-caller. They need a man who knows how to manage an NFL franchise.
Hackett is certainly on the rise. He made Bortles look really good lol

And I know he has Aaron Rodgers but isn't Trevor supposed to be highly gifted as well? I could get behind Hackett but I also agree (yikes) with Vic in that we need a really good GM first.

(12-20-2021, 03:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Bryan from Wauwatosa, WI

Hackett is certainly on the rise. He made Bortles look really good lol

And I know he has Aaron Rodgers but isn't Trevor supposed to be highly gifted as well? I could get behind Hackett but I also agree (yikes) with Vic in that we need a really good GM first.

I struggle with my anti Nate Hackett bias from when he was here. But I also know this organization has the innate ability to make even Einstein look dumb.  

Joe Cullen is the only staff member I would consider keeping, but if a good competent GM says he has to go and Hackett was incoming, I could deal with it. As long as everyone agrees Gus Bradley's name should never be uttered within the walls of the stadium ever again.

(12-20-2021, 03:45 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 03:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hackett is certainly on the rise. He made Bortles look really good lol

I struggle with my anti Nate Hackett bias from when he was here. But I also know this organization has the innate ability to make even Einstein look dumb.  

Joe Cullen is the only staff member I would consider keeping, but if a good competent GM says he has to go and Hackett was incoming, I could deal with it. As long as everyone agrees Gus Bradley's name should never be uttered within the walls of the stadium ever again.

I'd take Bradley as DC in a New York minute.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-20-2021, 03:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 03:45 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I struggle with my anti Nate Hackett bias from when he was here. But I also know this organization has the innate ability to make even Einstein look dumb.  

I'd take Bradley as DC in a New York minute.

I'd rather have Cullen.

(12-20-2021, 03:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 03:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'd take Bradley as DC in a New York minute.

I'd rather have Cullen.

Me too also Gus would mean returning to a 43 and we pretty much have 34 personnel now. Aside from Myles Jack.

Bryan from Wauwatosa, WI

Agreed. I said it a few times in a few other threads. He was on the right track with Coughlin. However, he still allowed holdovers like Caldwell and Marrone around. It was not a clean slate.

He could try and put together a counsel. Reach out to the likes of Parcells, Polian and Wolf. These were all major players in a large capacity at the executive and roster building level.

He has to get that hire in place first. Then, stay out of the way. He's failed for a decade. His son has also failed. He needs to find a face of the organizational side of things so he can develop the actual face of the franchise.

Ideally. I think it should be narrowed down to two pairings already. That's Rick Smith and Jim Caldwell or Mike Borgonzi and Doug Pederson. I really feel like these two groups have the potential to turn things around within two years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-20-2021, 04:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

Bryan from Wauwatosa, WI

Agreed. I said it a few times in a few other threads. He was on the right track with Coughlin. However, he still allowed holdovers like Caldwell and Marrone around. It was not a clean slate.

He could try and put together a counsel. Reach out to the likes of Parcells, Polian and Wolf. These were all major players in a large capacity at the executive and roster building level.

He has to get that hire in place first. Then, stay out of the way. He's failed for a decade. His son has also failed. He needs to find a face of the organizational side of things so he can develop the actual face of the franchise.

Ideally. I think it should be narrowed down to two pairings already. That's Rick Smith and Jim Caldwell or Mike Borgonzi and Doug Pederson. I really feel like these two groups have the potential to turn things around within two years.

Out of those 2 pairings, I think I would want MB and Pederson.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 04:41 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-20-2021, 04:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 04:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Agreed. I said it a few times in a few other threads. He was on the right track with Coughlin. However, he still allowed holdovers like Caldwell and Marrone around. It was not a clean slate.

Out of those 2 pairings, I think I would want MB and Pederson.
That's where I am leaning a bit more as well. Makes sense because they both come from recent Superbowl winning teams. They also have a prior history in Kansas City before Patrick Mahomes was there but they managed to find success with Alex Smith and built a stable roster for Andy Reid.

Borgonzi would at least have a solid understanding and an eye for speed and solid personnel on offense. Doug will have to be joined at the hip with Lawrence but scheme wise I think he's already a great fit.

Just have to get those pieces in place. Kelce/Ertz type TE'a, a dual threat backfield at RB by committee, capable lineman that are more quick and athletic to pull out front and a back breaking receiver with legitimate deep speed.

Give it two years. I could see it.

Yep Coughlin was supposed to be that guy but unfortunately that blew up for reasons that don't need to be re-hashed. I still think Coughlin could have been a good fit but he needed to be more removed from the players. We don't need a person in that role who still wants to be a coach or wants to be GM. That role is to oversee the entirety of the football operations and provide guidance to the head coach and GM. Heard Dempsey the other day talk about renting out Tony Dungy for a couple months to effectively perform that role in order to guide Khan's decision for the next coach and GM. But ideally you could get a guy like Dungy to fill that role fulltime. Obviously he probably wouldnt do that but try to find someone like him who would be interested. Shad and his son aren't football people. We desperately need a Lamping counterpart to run the football side. A leader to guide the coach and GM and set the tone for how the football operations will be run.

I have zero faith Shad will make the right decision of GM or coach. Pretty confident no one else around here does either.

(12-16-2021, 10:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 07:25 PM)D6 Wrote: One reason why Ed Dodds is a highly intriguing NFL GM option is Bobby Wagner and Darius Leonard, two of the best MLBs in the NFL in the last 10 years,  were both 2nd Round picks when Dodds was part of the draft process.

Love those guys. I was especially high on Leonard. His only knock was that he played at a tiny school (South Carolina State.)

The small school factor is a legit concern.  

One thing that might have helped Darius Leonard in the 2018 Draft Process is that South Carolina State has a history of very good to great Defensive players.  Former Giants MLB-ILB Harry Carson, who is in the Pro Football HOF, and Former Lions DE Robert Porcher, the team's all- time sack leader, immediately come to mind.

I think it was less small school worries and more that most people thought Leonard was too small to be a 3 down linebacker. Obviously he proved doubters wrong.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 06:07 PM by D6.)

(12-17-2021, 11:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-16-2021, 07:25 PM)D6 Wrote: One reason why Ed Dodds is a highly intriguing NFL GM option is Bobby Wagner and Darius Leonard, two of the best MLBs in the NFL in the last 10 years,  were both 2nd Round picks when Dodds was part of the draft process.

It doesn't state the reasons he withdrew, but he seems selective. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-m-search/

Understandably, as Cleveland was a revolving GM and HC door at the time and Carolina has a HC who has final say in personnel decisions.

NFL insider expects Panthers to keep Matt Rhule as head coach in 2022 (catcrave.com)

(12-20-2021, 05:57 PM)Upper Wrote: I think it was less small school worries and more that most people thought Leonard was too small to be a 3 down linebacker. Obviously he proved doubters wrong.

The size factor certainly was a huge component of the evaluation of Darius Leonard.  Some teams wouldn't have even considered him as a starting base LB because of his size.