Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jimmy Smith owned Baltimore

I was messing around on statmuse 

Did you know Jimmy played 15 games against the Ravens and straight up dominated them.

15 games played 
104 targets
96 receptions
1,522 yards
10 TDs
15.9 per catch
Averaged 101.5 yards per game

Jimmy owned the Bengals too..

16 games played 
98 receptions
1,257 yards
9 TDs

So crazy to think he became a full time starter in pro football at the age of 27. And he did all this during an era when backs were getting 25 to 30 carries per game. 

I had to share this with some of you OST holders. The glory days man..
Legend

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Thanks for sharing! I wanted Blackmon to become our next Jimmy Smith. Still upset over that loss of potential.

Can he start on Sunday?

I bet he wouldn't drop the damn ball.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-04-2022, 09:24 PM)Brett Wrote: Thanks for sharing! I wanted Blackmon to become our next Jimmy Smith. Still upset over that loss of potential.
Same. He really did have that potential. I was excited as hell when they drafted him. He'll be 32 already next week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-04-2022, 10:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 09:24 PM)Brett Wrote: Thanks for sharing! I wanted Blackmon to become our next Jimmy Smith. Still upset over that loss of potential.
Same. He really did have that potential. I was excited as hell when they drafted him. He'll be 32 already next week.

I never fully understood why he stopped playing. Whether it was alcoholism, lost desire to play or some other factor. It all still seems like a mysterious episode that never achieved full closure with me. He just…disappeared.

(01-05-2022, 07:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 10:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Same. He really did have that potential. I was excited as hell when they drafted him. He'll be 32 already next week.

I never fully understood why he stopped playing. Whether it was alcoholism, lost desire to play or some other factor. It all still seems like a mysterious episode that never achieved full closure with me. He just…disappeared.

[Image: rick-james.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 09:00 AM by RicoTx. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-04-2022, 10:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Same. He really did have that potential. I was excited as hell when they drafted him. He'll be 32 already next week.

Rumor was he was going to be suspended if he played.  Probably wasn't ever verified since he retired, but that was the rumor that was running rampant...and probably true.

I don't know if he 'disappeared'.  Wasn't it pretty shortly after he retired that he go busted on the north side with an enormous amount of coke?  Nope, it was a few years after.  It wasn't a ton of coke but enough.

The one that landed him in prison was in Mississippi.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 09:07 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-05-2022, 08:53 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 07:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I never fully understood why he stopped playing. Whether it was alcoholism, lost desire to play or some other factor. It all still seems like a mysterious episode that never achieved full closure with me. He just…disappeared.

Rumor was he was going to be suspended if he played.  Probably wasn't ever verified since he retired, but that was the rumor that was running rampant...and probably true.

I don't know if he 'disappeared'.  Wasn't it pretty shortly after he retired that he go busted on the north side with an enormous amount of coke?

I never heard about the coke. The last story I recollect of him in Jacksonville was when he put his truck into the ditch somewhere after he had been absent from the team. He wasn't under the influence.

But still, it adds to the mystery of why a guy of his talent with the potential to earn some life changing money didn't just serve out the suspension and then return to playing. Instead, he just gave up.

Edit: We're talking about different people. I was alluding to James Justin Blackmon.

(01-05-2022, 09:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 08:53 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Rumor was he was going to be suspended if he played.  Probably wasn't ever verified since he retired, but that was the rumor that was running rampant...and probably true.

I don't know if he 'disappeared'.  Wasn't it pretty shortly after he retired that he go busted on the north side with an enormous amount of coke?

I never heard about the coke. The last story I recollect of him in Jacksonville was when he put his truck into the ditch somewhere after he had been absent from the team. He wasn't under the influence.

But still, it adds to the mystery of why a guy of his talent with the potential to earn some life changing money didn't just serve out the suspension and then return to playing. Instead, he just gave up.

Edit: We're talking about different people. I was alluding to James Justin Blackmon.

Ah.  No, Blackmon was weed and alcohol.  He valued that more than playing football.  I'm assuming he probably burned through, literally and figuratively, whatever money he retained from his rookie contract pretty quickly.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

If you don't love the game, it's just a job. If the pressure of that job led him down the path it did, I don't blame him one bit for walking away and not looking back. Addiction can be a real bastard, too. Just look at guys like Josh Gordon, same story, could have been at the top of the game, but that internal voice is too loud to squelch.

Sad. However life is more important than football. Hopefully he is happy and healthy