Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BOB: Has Baalke tipped his hand?

(01-10-2022, 12:41 PM)Upper Wrote: BoB over McDaniels? Big yikes.

Not so much.

1.  BOB has won in the league.  McDaniels hasn't.

2.  BOB has at least developed one QB-Watson.  McDaniels hasn't.

3.  BOB has direct knowledge of several top prospects in this upcoming NFL draft that could be of benefit to the Jaguars in terms of positional need and value.  McDaniels doesn't.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 01:11 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2022, 12:47 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I don't get why people love McDaniels so much.

Dude drafted Tebow in the first round.
What has he done without Brady? and without BB?
He did pretty good as the OC of the Rams...

You don't think he had a hand in Mac Jones' development?  The understanding I routinely hear about the coaching structure in New England is that Bill runs the organization as a whole and the defense (the DC is just running Bill's defense, but Bill is heavily involved).  Aqib Talib, who played for Belichick, said on the Manning MNF broadcast when he was on earlier this year that make no mistake about it, Belichick is the DC in NE.  My understanding is that Josh runs the offense and Bill has no where near the involvement as he does in the defense.

I hated McDaniels in Denver.  I thought he was a bit young and immature for a head coach.  That was a long time ago now though.  He's at the top of my list because he's had prior head coaching experience, he's been in the Pats system a long time and surely must've adopted much of "the Patriot way" for when he gets his next shot and finally because I believe he would be an excellent offensive mind for Trevor to develop under.

I would not be upset with an O'brien hire. I think he's a very good coach. They were talking about him last week on 1010xl and suggesting that much like Coughlin's first stint with the Jaguars, Coughlin the GM got Coughlin the HC fired here and the same could be said about O'brien in Houston and I agree with that statement whole heartedly. He wouldn't wear that hat here.

(01-10-2022, 01:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 12:47 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I don't get why people love McDaniels so much.

Dude drafted Tebow in the first round.
What has he done without Brady? and without BB?
He did pretty good as the OC of the Rams...

You don't think he had a hand in Mac Jones' development?  The understanding I routinely hear about the coaching structure in New England is that Bill runs the organization as a whole and the defense (the DC is just running Bill's defense, but Bill is heavily involved).  Aqib Talib, who played for Belichick, said on the Manning MNF broadcast when he was on earlier this year that make no mistake about it, Belichick is the DC in NE.  My understanding is that Josh runs the offense and Bill has no where near the involvement as he does in the defense.

I hated McDaniels in Denver.  I thought he was a bit young and immature for a head coach.  That was a long time ago now though.  He's at the top of my list because he's had prior head coaching experience, he's been in the Pats system a long time and surely must've adopted much of "the Patriot way" for when he gets his next shot and finally because I believe he would be an excellent offensive mind for Trevor to develop under.

I would not be upset with an O'brien hire.  I think he's a very good coach.  They were talking about him last week on 1010xl and suggesting that much like Coughlin's first stint with the Jaguars, Coughlin the GM got Coughlin the HC fired here and the same could be said about O'brien in Houston and I agree with that statement whole heartedly.  He wouldn't wear that hat here.

I don't trust the guy for those reasons I mention before.

Also, what about last season? he was probably ok with going with Cam as the starter and that also says a lot. 
What he did to the Colts...

I don't see the guy becoming a great HC, I could be wrong though.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-10-2022, 12:54 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 12:50 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I believe Dave Campo did in Dallas.

He did!

Also, Wade Phillips returned as Denver's DC in 2015 after once serving as HC there in the early 90's.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 02:41 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

I said in a separate thread, that, Bill O'Brien is not a bad football coach. My concern, is his ego and Baalke's ego trying to ultimately coexist in a high pressure environment with Lawrence's development now being placed under a much, much more detailed microscope moving forward.

I said he would probably get this team to hover right around .500 or slightly above .500 and that would probably get this team into the play-off's. However, after that? I don't like his overall style and decision making. He was well known for getting bounced out of the play-off's early and often due to bad decision mid game. He also blundered some really great talent there that Rick Smith drafted.

Again, when you go back and look at 2017, when Rick Smith had to step away from football to take care of his dying wife, you could see there was a slow downward spiral of issues there with Bill O'Brien being the primary focal point around those issues. Just not comfortable with him and Baalke working together beyond 2022.

Feels like flint and tender in the making to really burn what's left of this franchise and fanbase's hopes into the ground. And, again, Baalke's track record of never landing any quality offensive players in San Francisco just makes that much more concerned for Lawrence's long term future here.

Baalke and O'Brien are honestly, IMHO? The equivalent of Jack Del Rio and James Harris in the making again. You might get a few good years in the play-off's out of them but I expect them to be struggling with the right draft choices and squandering a few pieces of talent they managed to scrounge up.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Bill is interviewing with the Jags on Wednesday.

You guys might as well get ready bc he’s going to be the coach..

If it's O'Brien then he's going to HC only and the GM will handle all personnel.
His personnel work is what ran him out of Houston. Not his coaching.

If you aren't a Baalke fan, that's a little scary.
'cause a BoB hire probably means Baalke is safe.
Maybe they add an EVP of football operations to put a leash on Baalke?

(01-12-2022, 09:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: If it's O'Brien then he's going to HC only and the GM will handle all personnel.

I said this in another topic, but my issue is that BoB the coach obviously agreed with BoB the GM that it was a good idea to trade arguably the best WR in the league for a RB coming off a season in which he rushed for 345 yds.  BoB the coach valued an average RB over a true WR1.  I simply can't get past that and I worry about his ability to evaluate players in deciding who to play/sit and his input with the GM (who would probably be Baalke) as far as players to target in FA/trades/draft.  We've seen enough of that already this season with Wingard starting over Cisco/Thomas and Taylor starting and hurting us with bad play and penalties while Little sat on the bench and didn't see the field until the last few games - and then only because he was needed at LT.....

(01-12-2022, 10:52 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 09:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: If it's O'Brien then he's going to HC only and the GM will handle all personnel.

I said this in another topic, but my issue is that BoB the coach obviously agreed with BoB the GM that it was a good idea to trade arguably the best WR in the league for a RB coming off a season in which he rushed for 345 yds.  BoB the coach valued an average RB over a true WR1.  I simply can't get past that and I worry about his ability to evaluate players in deciding who to play/sit and his input with the GM (who would probably be Baalke) as far as players to target in FA/trades/draft.  We've seen enough of that already this season with Wingard starting over Cisco/Thomas and Taylor starting and hurting us with bad play and penalties while Little sat on the bench and didn't see the field until the last few games - and then only because he was needed at LT.....

I think that was about his inability to deal with players personalities combined with some sketchy evaluation. 

Either way - He's last on my list of HC preferences. 

I'm just trying to reason out what might happen if he's hired.

We don't get good things. Even in our hope the owner makes sure to screw it all over. Can only watch the train wreck and participate in therapy here on the boards.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

This would be a bad hire on so many levels. We get it. Good coach. Bad GM. But, that trade alone he did, will still be remembered around the league. That can likely affect how FA plays out. In a not so good way.

(01-10-2022, 12:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Not so much.

3.  BOB has direct knowledge of several top prospects in this upcoming NFL draft that could be of benefit to the Jaguars in terms of positional need and value.  McDaniels doesn't.

BoB's "won in the league" is a mirage. He inherited Wade Phillips' awesome defense. He never had a single above average season offensively, which was his expertise. And he was 10-2 vs the Jags and had a losing record vs the other 31 teams. Ironically, his highest rated offensive season was when he started 0-4 and then got fired.

(01-12-2022, 11:19 AM)Jagulars Wrote: This would be a bad hire on so many levels. We get it. Good coach. Bad GM. But, that trade alone he did, will still be remembered around the league. That can likely affect how FA plays out. In a not so good way.

Honestly, I am not sure they are going to participate much in the top tier free agency no matter who they hire. The team needs draft guys so we can acquire those without a choice.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Your point #3 reminds me of things said about UM, especially where you mention the part about He knows the players. Not disputing anything you said, just many of the things you mentioned were said about UM.

(01-10-2022, 12:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Not so much.

1. McDaniels took the Broncos to the playoffs with Tim Tebow. Wow.

2. McDaniels developed Mac Jones into a competent game manager for a playoff team.

3. That was the argument for Urban Meyer, but all you're getting is one year of value from that proposition.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Can we protest if they hire bob

(01-12-2022, 11:45 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 12:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Not so much.

BoB's "won in the league" is a mirage. He inherited Wade Phillips' awesome defense. He never had a single above average season offensively, which was his expertise. And he was 10-2 vs the Jags and had a losing record vs the other 31 teams. Ironically, his highest rated offensive season was when he started 0-4 and then got fired.

That makes it the perfect Shad Khan hire
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I don’t know if I can take another cycle of meh, blah, yuck hires…
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-12-2022, 01:07 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Your point #3 reminds me of things said about UM, especially where you mention the part about He knows the players. Not disputing anything you said, just many of the things you mentioned were said about UM.

UM was two years removed from coaching in college when the Jaguars hired him a year ago and he had no NFL experience whatsoever.

BOB coached Alabama this past season and has plenty of NFL experience.

I emphasize he STILL is NOT my guy, but the UM comparison, even on that limited point, is not warranted.

(01-12-2022, 01:30 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 12:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Not so much.

1. McDaniels took the Broncos to the playoffs with Tim Tebow. Wow.

2. McDaniels developed Mac Jones into a competent game manager for a playoff team.

3. That was the argument for Urban Meyer, but all you're getting is one year of value from that proposition.

1.  McDaniels finished 8-8 that year (9-9 if you count the playoffs), so he still hasn't won.

2.  Yes, this year he did do a good job with Mac Jones so far.  I cede that point.

3.  See above.  The UM comparison does not hold water.  UM was two years removed from coaching when the Jaguars hired hum last year and had no NFL experience whatsoever.  BOB had plenty of NFL experience and coached Alabama as recently as Monday night.  Way different.