Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Camp over Trey Smith

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 10:08 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Still mind boggling how the Jags took Jalen Camp in the 6th round over Trey Smith.  One of our guard spots could be set

The incompetence of the guys we keep getting in the office is crazy

Dude was an All American in high school and a 1st team All SEC in back to back years and was a really good guard sitting there in the 6th and they take a guy that couldn't even make the 53, smh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 10:12 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

In 1995, in the 6th round, we took RB Ryan Christopherson and the very next pick, by the Broncos, was RB Terrell Davis. 

How about the 6th round in 1990?  

Pick 198 Matt Bowen, SS, Iowa
Pick 199 Tom Brady, QB, Michigan
Pick 200 Sherrod Gideon, WR, Southern Mississippi

[BLEEP] happens.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 10:12 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2022, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: In 1995, in the 6th round, we took RB Ryan Christopherson and the very next pick, by the Broncos, was RB Terrell Davis. 

[BLEEP] happens.

You're talking about something 25 years ago.  I'm talking about last year.  Smith was a great college player in the SEC, all signs were looking like he good be a good guard at the very least

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 10:16 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2022, 10:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: In 1995, in the 6th round, we took RB Ryan Christopherson and the very next pick, by the Broncos, was RB Terrell Davis. 

[BLEEP] happens.

You're talking about something 25 years ago.  I'm talking about last year.  Smith was a great college player in the SEC, all signs were looking like he good be a good guard at the very least

I know the Jags have been incompetent for a long time, but it's not because they missed on a 6th round pick.  Any 6th round pick that becomes a good player means 32 teams missed on him at least 4 times, sometimes 5 times.

(01-13-2022, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You're talking about something 25 years ago.  I'm talking about last year.  Smith was a great college player in the SEC, all signs were looking like he good be a good guard at the very least

I know the Jags have been incompetent for a long time, but it's not because they missed on a 6th round pick.

Thats just one little example that should of been clear as day.  They pass on a All SEC guard in back to back years that was a great college player for a WR that can't even make the 53.  I'm talking about this regime.  A great guard was sitting right there to fix one of our guard spot where we had Cann as a starter.  Ray Charles could of seen that.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 10:19 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2022, 10:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I know the Jags have been incompetent for a long time, but it's not because they missed on a 6th round pick.

Thats just one little example that should of been clear as day.  They pass on a All SEC guard in back to back years that was a great college player for a WR that can't even make the 53.  I'm talking about this regime.  A great guard was sitting right there to fix one of our guard spot where we had Cann as a starter.  Ray Charles could of seen that.

If there's a great OG in the 6th round, that means 32 teams missed on him multiple times.

I'm not trying to argue with the fact that the Jags are incompetent, I'm just saying pointing to missing on a 6th round pick is not evidence of incompetence.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 10:21 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-13-2022, 10:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Thats just one little example that should of been clear as day.  They pass on a All SEC guard in back to back years that was a great college player for a WR that can't even make the 53.  I'm talking about this regime.  A great guard was sitting right there to fix one of our guard spot where we had Cann as a starter.  Ray Charles could of seen that.

If there's a great OG in the 6th round, that means 32 teams missed on him multiple times.
Yes, 32 other teams don't have AJ Cann as there RG and we had almost double the amount of picks as other teams.  We took a guy that couldn't even make the 53 over a back to back 1st  team SEC guard.  I'm sorry you don't see the problem there

Bullseye, what do you think about that draft decision? I know me and you talked about Smith numerous times and replacing Cann. We were looking to take him early than the 6th though

The staff last year determined his medical wasn't good. As much as I wanted them to take a chance on him, you would probably be saying the opposite if his medical never came back clean to play.

I will admit that I was low on Smith, but that's when people were advocating for him on day 2. In the 6th even I was hoping for him.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 12:43 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-13-2022, 10:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Still mind boggling how the Jags took Jalen Camp in the 6th round over Trey Smith.  One of our guard spots could be set

The incompetence of the guys we keep getting in the office is crazy

Dude was an All American in high school and a 1st team All SEC in back to back years and was a really good guard sitting there in the 6th and they take a guy that couldn't even make the 53, smh

Agreed. I didn't even know who Jalen Camp was. Trey Smith was one of the best O-Linemen in college football. Even if his medical was bad, I'd take him at 75% for a season or two over someone who didn't even make the team.

(01-13-2022, 11:01 AM)Cable Wrote: The staff last year determined his medical wasn't good. As much as I wanted them to take a chance on him, you would probably be saying the opposite if his medical never came back clean to play.

Do you have a link saying where the Jags staff determined his medical wasn't good?  I didnt see Urban or Baalke say anything on Smith before or after the draft.  He was a 6th round pick, I don't think anyone would of been saying anything if we took a chance on him because the blood clots didn't affect his college career.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 02:10 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

Smith is a player 31 other teams missed on. Other teams who also needed guard help. It happens.

(01-13-2022, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 11:01 AM)Cable Wrote: The staff last year determined his medical wasn't good. As much as I wanted them to take a chance on him, you would probably be saying the opposite if his medical never came back clean to play.

Do you have a link saying where the Jags staff determined his medical wasn't good?  I didnt see Urban or Baalke say anything on Smith before or after the draft.  He was a 6th round pick, I don't think anyone would of been saying anything if we took a chance on him because the blood clots didn't affect his college career.
On the nfl.com draft page for Trey Smith indicated that a negative for him was a history of blood clots, and the Sources Tell Us section states one NFL personnel exec from an NFC team said that "the history of blood clots is a much bigger issue than anything on tape for me".  The clots in his lungs were diagnosed after his freshman year in college.  His sophmore year was cut short when doctors were concerned that the clots had returned (but later believed it was scar tissue from the previous season).  His junior and senior years were without the issue resurfacing, and he received all-SEC honors in each of these years.  I think many teams had a medical risk flag raised on him, for him to drop to the 6th round.

I was pounding the table when I saw Trey Smith still sitting there in the 6th. I remember Dilla also posted a picture of Trey Smith a few picks prior so I thought he was going to be the pick.

Definitely a big whiff.

(01-13-2022, 02:08 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Do you have a link saying where the Jags staff determined his medical wasn't good?  I didnt see Urban or Baalke say anything on Smith before or after the draft.  He was a 6th round pick, I don't think anyone would of been saying anything if we took a chance on him because the blood clots didn't affect his college career.
On the nfl.com draft page for Trey Smith indicated that a negative for him was a history of blood clots, and the Sources Tell Us section states one NFL personnel exec from an NFC team said that "the history of blood clots is a much bigger issue than anything on tape for me".  The clots in his lungs were diagnosed after his freshman year in college.  His sophmore year was cut short when doctors were concerned that the clots had returned (but later believed it was scar tissue from the previous season).  His junior and senior years were without the issue resurfacing, and he received all-SEC honors in each of these years.  I think many teams had a medical risk flag raised on him, for him to drop to the 6th round.

When you're in the 6th round, I'd throw the medicals out the window. At this point in the draft, the risk is minimal.

(01-13-2022, 04:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 02:08 PM)ATLjag Wrote: On the nfl.com draft page for Trey Smith indicated that a negative for him was a history of blood clots, and the Sources Tell Us section states one NFL personnel exec from an NFC team said that "the history of blood clots is a much bigger issue than anything on tape for me".  The clots in his lungs were diagnosed after his freshman year in college.  His sophmore year was cut short when doctors were concerned that the clots had returned (but later believed it was scar tissue from the previous season).  His junior and senior years were without the issue resurfacing, and he received all-SEC honors in each of these years.  I think many teams had a medical risk flag raised on him, for him to drop to the 6th round.

When you're in the 6th round, I'd throw the medicals out the window. At this point in the draft, the risk is minimal.
I wouldn't throw it out the window but if you label a very good player as undraftable you better be sure dude ain't going to be able to play.  Us red flagging him is also speculation.  They could of just thought AJ Cann is the better player and not been that high on Smith

(01-13-2022, 02:08 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 12:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Do you have a link saying where the Jags staff determined his medical wasn't good?  I didnt see Urban or Baalke say anything on Smith before or after the draft.  He was a 6th round pick, I don't think anyone would of been saying anything if we took a chance on him because the blood clots didn't affect his college career.

The Trey Smith health history situation reminds me to a large extent of when Michigan DT Maurice Hurst fell all the way to the early 5th Round if the 2018 Draft,  before the then Oakland Raiders selected him.  Hurst was projected by most as going no later than the 2nd Round before medical test results concerns about a potentially life threatening heart condition became available to all 32 NFL teams.

(01-13-2022, 04:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 02:08 PM)ATLjag Wrote: On the nfl.com draft page for Trey Smith indicated that a negative for him was a history of blood clots, and the Sources Tell Us section states one NFL personnel exec from an NFC team said that "the history of blood clots is a much bigger issue than anything on tape for me".  The clots in his lungs were diagnosed after his freshman year in college.  His sophmore year was cut short when doctors were concerned that the clots had returned (but later believed it was scar tissue from the previous season).  His junior and senior years were without the issue resurfacing, and he received all-SEC honors in each of these years.  I think many teams had a medical risk flag raised on him, for him to drop to the 6th round.

Yep....and that is exactly what KC did.  They viewed the performance reward greater than the medical/longevity risk, now being in the 6th round.

(01-13-2022, 02:44 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I was pounding the table when I saw Trey Smith still sitting there in the 6th. I remember Dilla also posted a picture of Trey Smith a few picks prior so I thought he was going to be the pick.

Definitely a big whiff.

I was too.  I also took him with the Jaguars sixth round pick when we did the "re-draft" a few days following the draft.  This isn't hindsight.