Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
America's Homeless

(01-22-2022, 07:46 PM)copycat Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 04:11 PM)mikesez Wrote: I like discussions.  They're a tool to challenge and expand your worldview. But what you want is not discussion.  You just want your worldview confirmed by others. I only post factual info.  If you were here to discuss sincerely, you would accept those facts and integrate them into your worldview.  You still might not agree with my conclusions, and you might say there are other facts I'm ignoring, but you'd engage on that level.  That's what discussion is.  Instead, you reject facts and attack me instead.

No you don’t.  If you did you would discuss what YOU actually think and believe.  Instead you post DNC talking points and quotes from Wikipedia.  You have already admitted that you realize THIS conversation is about the chronically homeless and yet you continue to insert the situationally homeless and provide statistics that back up that.  Everyone here empathises and sympathises with unfortunate people you continue to interject into THIS conversation but they are not who we are talking about. The discussion here is about the mentality ill and drug users living on the streets that are committing a majority of the crimes we  are seeing on the nightly news and what to do about them.  The documentary Americus posted was an excellent starting point to meaningful conversation and YOU chose to tell everyone that actually watched it that they were manipulated and YOU dismissed it all the while posting your view of “facts” as gospel.  

Finally, for the record I would love to have an actual discussion with you Mike but all we ever see is Mr. Sez.

I believe what I post.  I don't believe everything on wikipedia, but what I link to, I believe.  I don't read DNC talking points.  Do you? I guess you must, if you know what they say.  It's a coincidence if you see similarities, because I don't read them or watch them.  But so what if I did? Are you saying you would never have a discussion with a DNC member?  Why?

I guess I just don't see as hard of a line between the "chronic" and "situational" homeless as you.  For one thing, when someone has recently become homeless, it's not yet clear which category they fall into. 

I agree with you that percentage of homeless people, everywhere, are there because they did drugs, and continue to do them.  Getting them appropriate and empathetic treatment for whatever they're addicted to is part of the solution, undoubtedly.  But think it through.  Are you going to drug test every homeless person every day? Of course not.  You usually can't make someone take a drug test.  How will you convince them to take one?  Regardless, I do agree with you that addiction has increased and society as a whole needs more and better drug treatment, and governments need to be spending more money in this area, sad as that is.

However both videos posted here focused on the West Coast, where a higher percentage of people are homeless, when compared to the East Coast.  Homelessness on the East Coast is bad.  On the West Coast it's so much worse.  Drugs aren't driving that difference.  Housing affordability and transit affordability are driving it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://youtu.be/w9SxXz-n_5o

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-22-2022, 10:56 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 07:46 PM)copycat Wrote: No you don’t.  If you did you would discuss what YOU actually think and believe.  Instead you post DNC talking points and quotes from Wikipedia.  You have already admitted that you realize THIS conversation is about the chronically homeless and yet you continue to insert the situationally homeless and provide statistics that back up that.  Everyone here empathises and sympathises with unfortunate people you continue to interject into THIS conversation but they are not who we are talking about. The discussion here is about the mentality ill and drug users living on the streets that are committing a majority of the crimes we  are seeing on the nightly news and what to do about them.  The documentary Americus posted was an excellent starting point to meaningful conversation and YOU chose to tell everyone that actually watched it that they were manipulated and YOU dismissed it all the while posting your view of “facts” as gospel.  

Finally, for the record I would love to have an actual discussion with you Mike but all we ever see is Mr. Sez.

I believe what I post.  I don't believe everything on wikipedia, but what I link to, I believe.  I don't read DNC talking points.  Do you? I guess you must, if you know what they say.  It's a coincidence if you see similarities, because I don't read them or watch them.  But so what if I did? Are you saying you would never have a discussion with a DNC member?  Why?

I guess I just don't see as hard of a line between the "chronic" and "situational" homeless as you.  For one thing, when someone has recently become homeless, it's not yet clear which category they fall into. 

I agree with you that percentage of homeless people, everywhere, are there because they did drugs, and continue to do them.  Getting them appropriate and empathetic treatment for whatever they're addicted to is part of the solution, undoubtedly.  But think it through.  Are you going to drug test every homeless person every day? Of course not.  You usually can't make someone take a drug test.  How will you convince them to take one?  Regardless, I do agree with you that addiction has increased and society as a whole needs more and better drug treatment, and governments need to be spending more money in this area, sad as that is.

However both videos posted here focused on the West Coast, where a higher percentage of people are homeless, when compared to the East Coast.  Homelessness on the East Coast is bad.  On the West Coast it's so much worse.  Drugs aren't driving that difference.  Housing affordability and transit affordability are driving it.

Mike a solution was given in the video you said you watched that Americus posted.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(01-22-2022, 10:56 PM)mikesez Wrote: I believe what I post.  I don't believe everything on wikipedia, but what I link to, I believe.  I don't read DNC talking points.  Do you? I guess you must, if you know what they say.  It's a coincidence if you see similarities, because I don't read them or watch them.  But so what if I did? Are you saying you would never have a discussion with a DNC member?  Why?

If this was true, why wouldn't those who truly desired to not be homeless, simply fold up their tents and migrate to a more affordable area?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-23-2022, 09:24 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 10:56 PM)mikesez Wrote: I believe what I post.  I don't believe everything on wikipedia, but what I link to, I believe.  I don't read DNC talking points.  Do you? I guess you must, if you know what they say.  It's a coincidence if you see similarities, because I don't read them or watch them.  But so what if I did? Are you saying you would never have a discussion with a DNC member?  Why?

If this was true, why wouldn't those who truly desired to not be homeless, simply fold up their tents and migrate to a more affordable area?

Many of them don't understand that rent might be more affordable somewhere else.  Even if they do understand, a three day trip by bus is daunting.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2022, 12:53 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 09:24 AM)Sneakers Wrote: If this was true, why wouldn't those who truly desired to not be homeless, simply fold up their tents and migrate to a more affordable area?

Many of them don't understand that rent might be more affordable somewhere else.  Even if they do understand, a three day trip by bus is daunting.

Nothing like 60 days in a covered wagon.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Ever since I was a child I hated homelessness. I hated seeing people sleeping on the street. But speaking from experience, most of today's homelessness is mainly caused by addictions. People that are addicts are unable to hold down jobs and so simple things like PAY RENT... It sucks, but until you fix addictions, you will NEVER fix homelessness, unless of you course you take care of addicts like they were little children for the rest of their lives.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"