Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(01-26-2022, 12:53 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: The biggest question is:

Who is gonna throw the redflag when needed? Because by the time Byron finishes his throw 2 plays would have passed already

Lol ... that's funny, referring to his long windup delivery.  Playing along, considering some of those rockets that he'd throw 10 feet over the heads of WRs, I hope someone tells him he doesn't have to through the red flag across the field.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-26-2022, 01:21 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: And to add, I wasn't on this message board when Byron was QB so if this was a cesspool of racism back then, I missed it.

I was on the board.  There were people who didn't like Leftwich as a player or as a spokesperson for the team.  These same people usually had no comment about the fact that Shack Harris (a Black man and former QB himself) made the entire QB room African American for most of his time here. Nobody thought that was a bad thing.  It wasn't about race, I don't think.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-26-2022, 01:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/148...75489?s=20

Contractually, things can take forever, so they'll likely just have to agree in principal on the key concepts, announce the hire, and then subsequently nail down the details to finalize the contract.

(01-26-2022, 01:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:16 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I don't directly recall any specific comments.  I have heard mention at times about it on local sports talk radio and on this board.  I do remember criticism of his play which was warranted.  I supported him as our QB until I didn't due to his mechanical flaws.  I just don't remember it as a large segment of the local population having a problem with him based on race or demeanor.  I mean, he was succeeded by Garrard.  Why does Garrard not get held up as an example in the same manner? 

Of course there are those that hold racial biases and even racial animus, however, the scale feels a bit of revisionist history to me.  I wasn't a season ticket holder and went to games sparingly until 2009 so if something was going on regarding this down at the stadium on game day, I wouldn't have been aware.

He didn't replace Brunell.

I think he was pointing more at the fact Gerrard was Black as well. I do remember people being pretty short fused with Byron, but I don't recall really any racism or harassment about anything other than football. I was a teenager, so maybe I just didn't see it, but it was never something that stood out to me at all. People are making it seem like the town was burning crosses in his yard or something.

What you are saying about him replacing brunell I could see possibly generating some animosity. But the racism stuff people are bringing up I don't recall at all. Like I said, I was  young when he started his tenure here.

Ian Rap saying he's a strong candidate but we still might bring in another coach to interview.

(01-26-2022, 01:21 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: And to add, I wasn't on this message board when Byron was QB so if this was a cesspool of racism back then, I missed it.

if you find a topic here that's not a cesspool, please let us know so we can take action and delete it immediately.  we rats love our cesspool.

(01-26-2022, 01:20 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:16 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I don't directly recall any specific comments.  I have heard mention at times about it on local sports talk radio and on this board.  I do remember criticism of his play which was warranted.  I supported him as our QB until I didn't due to his mechanical flaws.  I just don't remember it as a large segment of the local population having a problem with him based on race or demeanor.  I mean, he was succeeded by Garrard.  Why does Garrard not get held up as an example in the same manner? 

Of course there are those that hold racial biases and even racial animus, however, the scale feels a bit of revisionist history to me.  I wasn't a season ticket holder and went to games sparingly until 2009 so if something was going on regarding this down at the stadium on game day, I wouldn't have been aware.

He didn't replace Brunell.

Yes, and to be fair, Brunell shouldnt have been replaced. He had plenty left in the tank and his QB numbers were pretty much the same as they had been in previous years. He wasnt the reason for the decline of the team, it was that we were in salary cap hell thanks to Micheal Huguye. Leftwich probably should have been eased in, but you gotta play the #1 pick. However, some people took it as a race thing and were offended. Looking back, it probably ended up being a lousy move for both Leftwich and Brunell.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

What I like about Leftwich, or even Eberflus for that matter is that either one of them would be the first reasonable hire since Gus Bradley and David Caldwell.

Yes, I know. Bradley and Caldwell sucked at their jobs and both of them should have been fired after their third year, but they were legitimate candidates that were interviewing with other teams as well when the Jaguars hired them. No one, at least to my recollection, was interviewing Marrone or Meyer, and both had plenty of red flags.

The GM position has been a mess long before Khan came along. I couldn’t wait for Shack Harris to get fired, I couldn’t wait for Gene Smith to get fired, I couldn’t wait for Caldwell to get fired, and now I can’t wait for Baalke to get fired.

With the right GM, just about anyone that interviewed with the Jags (with the likely exceptions of O’Brien and Bevell) could be successful. They are all legit candidates this coaching cycle.

My guess on Leftwich? I think he wants to bring Adrien Wilson over from the Cardinals to be the GM, and I would be fine with that, but that’s purely conjecture on my part.

I was on the board back then.  I think the racism talk is way overblown.  There were definitely people in town that didn't like Leftwich.  But I think a lot of fans weren't ready to move on from Brunell and were bitter that the first thing our new front office and coach (Shack and Del Rio) did was draft a QB in round 1.  And it likely would have been different if Leftwich had lived up to the draft status but he never did.  Folks did pick on him for his less than eloquent way of speaking but think it was more of a way to rag on someone you didn't like than anything more insidious.  Back then on the board there were many heated discussions about Leftwich but it was mostly about why we should replace him with Garrard who last I checked isn't white.  At the end of the day I think fans got spoiled with our early success in the 90s and just wanted to win.  Leftwich just wasn't able to replicate that success here.  Nor anywhere else he went.  He stats post-Jax weren't any better.  At best, he was just an average starting QB but likely below average.

(01-26-2022, 12:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 09:26 AM)Ronster Wrote: “LOL”. That is what all the other teams are doing right now…an unproven, novice pick. It makes zero football sense. The owner is an idiot

With all the idiots supporting the move it makes Jaguars sense. All you need to know are morons like Cleatwood and Eric support the move. Stupid move

(01-26-2022, 10:15 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Are you really wanting to re-debate Leftwich's dismissal after all these years?  He was given four seasons.  If we don't believe our head coach is the right guy after four seasons, we should move on.

People forget Leftwich's 5 seconds to wind up to throw?

....and the excavator keeps digging.
I honestly don't know how some folks consider themselves fans.

(01-26-2022, 01:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ian Rap saying he's a strong candidate but we still might bring in another coach to interview.
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14863...90022?s=20

Rap and Adam are just saying what they're told to say.

Ian and Adam just want to be able to break it first

(01-26-2022, 12:26 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 12:11 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Why did your dumb [BLEEP] just mention his throwing motion three posts ago then?

Yes but it has nothing to do with his coaching. I was responding to somebody who try to say he was a good player here who got a raw deal. 

Too many idiots seeing one post and making up their own stories about me.

(01-26-2022, 12:25 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Moron.

Idiot out of context. Toolbag

The raw deal was more in how he was perceived off the field. He was never given a shot by the general fanbase because either his selection led to Brunell's chapter getting closed, he wore "funny" suits, or worse. He would have had to have been the second coming of TB for many of those folks to accept him and cheer for him. He never had a chance to establish himself as the franchise QB, because everyone was seeking out every last flaw and grasping onto those as their rallying cry that this guy wasn't the right choice. Thank goodness we've grown beyond that simplistic mindset of evaluating players too early and letting that bias affect our judgment, right?

Sure, he had a windup, but he made it work. Ever watch Bernie Kosar throw? He was beloved in Cleveland, even though his throws were sidearm and analysts once called him slower than erosion. Byron was fine as a QB. Not a perennial all-star, but cripes there's maybe five of those QBs ever in the league at one time. Expecting him to be at Manning's (either one!) level right out the gate put him in a no-win situation.

(01-26-2022, 01:58 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Ian and Adam just want to be able to break it first

That or there running story is being leaked by the team so as a contract negotiation tactic, Ian and Adam are most likely running the story as a favor so they get the scoop first next time. Kinda what they do.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(01-26-2022, 01:05 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I am surprised at the negativity around this. I think hes a great hire. Lots of players who were backup level QB make great coachs. And Byron is all class to boot. I really am excited about this.

The concern is a new head coach walking into the Jaguars mess. 

With the state of the team many feel we need a guy who has done it before to right the ship. 

Khan has a history of making bad decisions so this fits.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-26-2022, 12:53 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: The biggest question is:

Who is gonna throw the redflag when needed? Because by the time Byron finishes his throw 2 plays would have passed already

Care to make a tarp joke while you're beating ancient lines to death?

Wink

(01-26-2022, 12:15 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 12:08 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...2365180930

Where are all these know it all idiots now?

The organization is mad that their info got leaked yet again so they are putting the brakes on announcing the hire. It's still Leftwich.

I think it is just contract negotiations. It's hard to negotiate with Leftwich if you don't at least feign that you have interest in another candidate. If you walk into a car dealership saying "I absolutely love this car! I don't want any other car!", then you will get completely screwed on the price.  If you are smart, you say something along the lines of "There's a car at another dealership that I like equally.  This one isn't bad though.  If the price is right, I may consider your car".  

I think it's extremely likely that Byron is the next head coach.  They are just working out contract details.

(01-26-2022, 01:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ian Rap saying he's a strong candidate but we still might bring in another coach to interview.
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14863...90022?s=20

Told to say by who?
They haven't reported it yet because it's not a done deal yet. When it's a done deal they will report it

(01-26-2022, 01:47 PM)rfc17 Wrote:

I was on the board back then.  I think the racism talk is way overblown.  There were definitely people in town that didn't like Leftwich.  But I think a lot of fans weren't ready to move on from Brunell and were bitter that the first thing our new front office and coach (Shack and Del Rio) did was draft a QB in round 1.  And it likely would have been different if Leftwich had lived up to the draft status but he never did.  Folks did pick on him for his less than eloquent way of speaking but think it was more of a way to rag on someone you didn't like than anything more insidious.  Back then on the board there were many heated discussions about Leftwich but it was mostly about why we should replace him with Garrard who last I checked isn't white.  At the end of the day I think fans got spoiled with our early success in the 90s and just wanted to win.  Leftwich just wasn't able to replicate that success here.  Nor anywhere else he went.  He stats post-Jax weren't any better.  At best, he was just an average starting QB but likely below average.
I was on the board as well and don't remember much racism talk. The main concerns were his huge windup and accuracy at times.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-26-2022, 02:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14863...90022?s=20

Told to say by who?
They haven't reported it yet because it's not a done deal yet. When it's a done deal they will report it
By their employer or the Jags front office themselves. Rap has ties to Baalke so Baalke is probably giving him some BS and telling him to write something because he's mad it got leaked.

Of course they details of the contract are still being worked out but to say "they're still interviewing other coaches" is most likely not true.