Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(01-26-2022, 01:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ian Rap saying he's a strong candidate but we still might bring in another coach to interview.

Gatekeepers gonna gatekeep.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-26-2022, 01:47 PM)rfc17 Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:21 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: And to add, I wasn't on this message board when Byron was QB so if this was a cesspool of racism back then, I missed it.

I was on the board back then.  I think the racism talk is way overblown.  There were definitely people in town that didn't like Leftwich.  But I think a lot of fans weren't ready to move on from Brunell and were bitter that the first thing our new front office and coach (Shack and Del Rio) did was draft a QB in round 1.  And it likely would have been different if Leftwich had lived up to the draft status but he never did.  Folks did pick on him for his less than eloquent way of speaking but think it was more of a way to rag on someone you didn't like than anything more insidious.  Back then on the board there were many heated discussions about Leftwich but it was mostly about why we should replace him with Garrard who last I checked isn't white.  At the end of the day I think fans got spoiled with our early success in the 90s and just wanted to win.  Leftwich just wasn't able to replicate that success here.  Nor anywhere else he went.  He stats post-Jax weren't any better.  At best, he was just an average starting QB but likely below average.

In relation to what you mentioned, two things that stood out on the Message Board back then were:

1. The anti-Byron people focused on Byron's 'long windup'.  
2. Many anti-Byron people were not welcoming to the enormous # of Marshall fans that came to the Message Board, because of Byron being drafted by the Jaguars.

(01-26-2022, 01:00 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Mixed feelings I really wanted an experienced head coach but guess we get another up and coming coach and hope for the best.

Out of the options, they all had warts.

Leftwich has been successful, but part of that success is associated with the GOAT (but then hey, samesies for McDaniels, right?) and no HC experience.
Pederson had issues at his last stop, both with the FO and his franchise QB. Speculation over whether their SB run was entirely on him or his OC.
Caldwell is fighting father time, and while he's done decently at prior jobs, has never had prolonged success for one reason or the other.
BOB, well, was BOB.

My biggest fear with inexperienced coaches are the susceptibility to be overwhelmed or intimidated by the challenge they face while learning the job. I don't get the impression that BL will be intimidated by anything, and may bond with the locker room better than the more favorable veteran coaches would or could have.

As NH3 likes to say, Time will tell!

(01-26-2022, 01:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ian Rap saying he's a strong candidate but we still might bring in another coach to interview.
https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14863...90022?s=20

Rap and Adam are just saying what they're told to say.

Who is this Dilla?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-26-2022, 02:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14863...90022?s=20

Told to say by who?
They haven't reported it yet because it's not a done deal yet. When it's a done deal they will report it

The team in trade for getting the scoop first down the line. Schefter was outed for that this year. Could also be Baalke leaking stuff because Leftwich doesn't want him.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(01-26-2022, 02:13 PM)Upper Wrote:

Gatekeepers gonna gatekeep.

It's just not a done deal which is why they haven't reported it yet.  If it was a done deal it would be all over the place including Jags website and Twitter.  When the deal is done they won't try to keep it a secret lol.  It's still likely a deal will get done with Byron but it's not done yet

(01-26-2022, 02:17 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/E_Dilla/status/14863...90022?s=20

Who is this Dilla?

A fan on Twitter who has source in the building.

(01-26-2022, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:13 PM)Upper Wrote: Gatekeepers gonna gatekeep.

It's just not a done deal which is why they haven't reported it yet.  If it was a done deal it would be all over the place including Jags website and Twitter.  When the deal is done they won't try to keep it a secret lol.  It's still likely a deal will get done with Byron but it's not done yet

The gatekeepers appreciate your fealty.

(01-26-2022, 02:20 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's just not a done deal which is why they haven't reported it yet.  If it was a done deal it would be all over the place including Jags website and Twitter.  When the deal is done they won't try to keep it a secret lol.  It's still likely a deal will get done with Byron but it's not done yet

The gatekeepers appreciate your fealty.

What I love about this is you know Ian and Adam are mad they got beat on the story by a fan on Twitter.

Huh. I thought he wasn't interested. I really wanted an experienced HC because I'm tired of Fixer Upper: The Jaguars Edition. It is what it is and I guess we get to see what happens. If this is a bust I hope Jacksonville tears Khan a new butthole.

(01-26-2022, 02:22 PM)Protozoa Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:20 PM)Upper Wrote: The gatekeepers appreciate your fealty.

What I love about this is you know Ian and Adam are mad they got beat on the story by a fan on Twitter.

Yep, I believe that's 99% of the issue right now.

(01-26-2022, 02:17 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

Who is this Dilla?

He's the guy who knows inside info. Everything he has tweeted about over the last several years has happened.

LOL... I don't understand how anyone can get excited about this pick for head coach. Leftwich has done NOTHING to earn it. He had the pleasure of having Tom freaking Brady as his QB. Tom freaking Brady can make ANY OC look like a freaking genius and dipwads are buying into the hype, hook line and sinker. Whatever, this team is a lost cause anyway, might as well ruin another QB, it is the Jaguar way after all.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(01-26-2022, 02:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:22 PM)Protozoa Wrote: What I love about this is you know Ian and Adam are mad they got beat on the story by a fan on Twitter.

John Shipley also said "Hiring Byron Leftwich is effectively telling Baalke "Thanks for the paper pushing," so it would track. His boy didn't get a second interview so he had to pivot."

So this could just be Baalke doing what he does and leak things.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 02:31 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

I still have not seen anything officially announced by the team or on NFL.com.

Am I missing something? Why does it feel like this information takes it's sweet [BLEEP] time to reach official channels? Also, I was under the impression that if Leftwich was hired that he would be replacing Baalke. From what La Confora is saying, it's quite the opposite. He's willing to work with Baalke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6yZrGenv8I
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-26-2022, 02:27 PM)Ronster Wrote: LOL... I don't understand how anyone can get excited about this pick for head coach. Leftwich has done NOTHING to earn it. He had the pleasure of having Tom freaking Brady as his QB. Tom freaking Brady can make ANY OC look like a freaking genius and dipwads are buying into the hype, hook line and sinker. Whatever, this team is a lost cause anyway, might as well ruin another QB, it is the Jaguar way after all.

Sigh.

I know you're a racist. But I'm still gonna try to educate you.

Byron would be the smartest head coach we've ever hired. Yes. That's right, he's smarter than Coughlin. This man lives and breathes football.

His whole life is football. We should be excited to have a coach that loves football AND our city.

(01-26-2022, 02:27 PM)Ronster Wrote: LOL... I don't understand how anyone can get excited about this pick for head coach. Leftwich has done NOTHING to earn it. He had the pleasure of having Tom freaking Brady as his QB. Tom freaking Brady can make ANY OC look like a freaking genius and dipwads are buying into the hype, hook line and sinker. Whatever, this team is a lost cause anyway, might as well ruin another QB, it is the Jaguar way after all.

Yeah a Tom Brady who was playing mediocre and on pace to throw a the most Interceptions in his career until BA gave Leftwich full control and Leftwich made adjustments to merge Brady and BA's style.

(01-26-2022, 02:07 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:05 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I am surprised at the negativity around this. I think hes a great hire. Lots of players who were backup level QB make great coachs. And Byron is all class to boot. I really am excited about this.

The concern is a new head coach walking into the Jaguars mess. 

With the state of the team many feel we need a guy who has done it before to right the ship. 

Khan has a history of making bad decisions so this fits.

Would you rather Pederson, who reportedly didn't talk to his franchise QB for weeks on end, started a scrub as a favor to a long-time friend and ultimately tanked a game to spite his bosses?

Careful what you ask for. BOB was a veteran coach. What if we bring in Caldwell, and everyone sees him as an old fuddy-duddy like Doug Marrone?

There's risk in every single hire, everywhere. Where have you seen any report that suggests Byron is incapable or even questionable to right the ship here? Cripes, he dealt with AB and all his shenanigans, never heard a thing about that locker room or offense falling apart among that. Same can be said for dealing with the human turnover machine before Tawmy signed on. No unrest reported. Give him a chance before you write him off as a failure.

(01-26-2022, 02:24 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:22 PM)Protozoa Wrote: What I love about this is you know Ian and Adam are mad they got beat on the story by a fan on Twitter.

If it was a done deal wouldn't you thank the Jags would be very excited and announce the hire of there new coach?  Common sense should tell you it's not a done deal yet.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 02:35 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-26-2022, 02:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Sigh.

I know you're a racist. But I'm still gonna try to educate you.

Byron would be the smartest head coach we've ever hired. Yes. That's right, he's smarter than Coughlin. This man lives and breathes football.

His whole life is football. We should be excited to have a coach that loves football AND our city.

Stop. Don't smear Coughlin's name like that. It's disrespectful. You can like Leftwich. That's fine. As do I. However, let's not sit there and act like this team has not failed miserably in trying to recapture the consistency that Coughlin spoiled this franchise, city and fanbase with in the 90's. He's got the hardware to show for his football intelligence. He also has the fact that during Khan's 11 years of miserable ownership that he was at least in the building when they were one quarter away from a Superbowl appearance.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."