Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(01-26-2022, 04:10 PM)3rd string kicker Wrote: Greetings Jaguars Fans, I am a Flo-grown, lifelong and diehard Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan visiting to see the latest with with our neighbors. I have to emphasize this as we have developed quite the bandwagon of fans. (Most seem to be from Massachusetts, I can't seem to for the life of me understand why that is.) I did see the hiring of Byron Leftwich as the Head Coach and hope he does well in Jacksonville! As far as offensive tendencies, looking at stat sheets might throw you a bit as he favors the passing game seemingly out of balance to the run game. The passing game tends to lend itself to intermediate routes that rely on timing, but sometimes require deeper routes. This means you can expect to some big plays (20+), the Buccaneers have seemed to score well in this category under his leadership. This will put a lot of pressure on the offensive line, tight ends, and back on pass protection as well as the quarterback to develop strong pocket presence and step up as needed. I have heard rumblings that Byron has been a product of having Tom Brady as a quarterback which may be true to an extent, but number wise the offense had aggressive and at times reckless tendencies under Jameis Winston as well. Tom who is notoriously careful with the ball did have a little bit of trouble with turnovers this season, but statistically may have had one of the best seasons of his career at 44 years old.

Another thing you may see is a lack of runs, or at least looking at the stat sheet anyway. While the literal carries/runs may be on the lower end and disrupt the statistical balance, expect to see some bubble and/or release screens from Byron. You could call this an extension of the running game designed to keep more aggressive defenses honest. Fortunately in Tampa, we had Chris Godwin (Possible Free Agent BTW) who could take these screens and get yards after contact, so a good physical receiver may do well. Slot receivers typically do well in Arians/Leftwich tree offenses, they used to have Larry Fitzgerald working the slot in Arizona despite being the #1 receiver just because the routes tend to favor that role.

I suspect his personnel groupings are going to favor the strength of the offense, in the playoffs with Godwin injured and Antonio Brown getting a case of the jumping jacks, we found ourselves in 13 personnel packages, but generally speaking, it was 11 or 12 personnel with a tight end occasionally rotating/motioning as a full or H-back. I do believe we ran 10 personnel more than anyone, but that might be the tight end split out, so athletic tight ends would be a must. The blocking is more throwback and downhill, I did not see as many zone blocking concepts.

Buccaneers fans will have mixed emotions about Byron Leftwich leaving. I think a lot of this is that "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of feeling. He does seem to be developing well over the years and working under Arians and with Brady has surely helped his development along. I have seen many of our offenses struggle over the years but then again, I am a fan of when this team wore orange on Sundays so I guess that's not saying much. Byron had our offense performing well with both Winston and Brady, but both were surrounded by weapons (Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Brate, Howard, Miller, etc) and I won't say the running back we have as I fear that might be censored on the board here and I don't want to get banned on my first post.

Sorry for the novel Jaguars fans, I wish all the best to Byron, I genuinely hope he succeeds in Jacksonville.

Welcome and nice insight.  You can say Fournette here.  I think most were ready for him to go when he did anyway though I don't think anyone wishes him ill will with you guys.  If Shenault can learn to catch he fits the description of a physical receiver so perhaps he could fill that role eventually.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!! - by Jaguarmeister - 01-26-2022, 04:31 PM
Jagsordie - by JagsorDie - 01-26-2022, 07:59 PM
Cstblank - by CSTblank - 01-26-2022, 09:12 PM
RE: Cstblank - by Jag88 - 01-26-2022, 09:16 PM
RE: Cstblank - by CSTblank - 01-26-2022, 09:25 PM
RE: Cstblank - by Jag88 - 01-26-2022, 10:38 PM
Jagsordie - by JagsorDie - 01-27-2022, 12:40 PM
RE: Jagsordie - by TrivialPursuit - 01-27-2022, 12:42 PM
RE: Jagsordie - by jaguarmvp - 01-27-2022, 01:56 PM
RE: Jagsordie - by Khan Artist - 01-27-2022, 01:57 PM
RE: Jagsordie - by RicoTx - 01-27-2022, 01:58 PM
RE: Jagsordie - by jagibelieve - 01-27-2022, 05:41 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 01-27-2022, 05:43 PM