Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
R.I.P. PJ O'Rourke

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2022, 09:10 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Political satirist PJ O'Rourke has passed away from lung cancer.  Here are some famous quotes of his:  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.

Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it.

With Epcot Center the Disney corporation has accomplished something I didn't think possible in today's world. They have created a land of make-believe that's worse than regular life.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I read about this earlier and thought of posting it but wasn’t sure how many people on here knew who he was. Terrifically funny writer.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2022, 09:32 AM by The Real Marty.)

I read his book, "Parliament of Whores" a long time ago.  It was a savage takedown of our political system, and very funny.

Gutfeld: O'Rourke showed the right how to 'fight back with fun' | Fox News

I recommend watching the monologue. It covers the first 6:45 of the embedded video.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 07:40 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-19-2022, 06:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Gutfeld: O'Rourke showed the right how to 'fight back with fun' | Fox News

I recommend watching the monologue. It covers the first 6:45 of the embedded video.

From your linked article:

"Now, P. J. was definitely no fan of Trump..."

He voted for Hillary Clinton.  

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/obs...i-still-do

(02-19-2022, 07:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 06:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Gutfeld: O'Rourke showed the right how to 'fight back with fun' | Fox News

From your linked article:

"Now, P. J. was definitely no fan of Trump..."

He voted for Hillary Clinton.  

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/obs...i-still-do

Cool.

(02-16-2022, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Political satirist PJ O'Rourke has passed away from lung cancer.  Here are some famous quotes of his:  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.

Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it.

With Epcot Center the Disney corporation has accomplished something I didn't think possible in today's world. They have created a land of make-believe that's worse than regular life.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

Good stuff. I hadn't heard of this guy before.
Too bad it's all negative.
Our system in each of our two parties obviously have their downsides, but as Winston Churchill would say, every other possible system that has been tried is worse.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-19-2022, 10:07 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 09:09 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Political satirist PJ O'Rourke has passed away from lung cancer.  Here are some famous quotes of his:  

Our system in each of our two parties obviously have their downsides, but as Winston Churchill would say, every other possible system that has been tried is worse.

This post is so you. "As a True Republican I never heard of this incredibly well known commentator but I like him but what he says is bad because the other side is just as good as we are." Lol.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 10:34 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Here.  Try a sample.  Skip the introduction.  

Sample

It's called satire, you dolt. I'm endlessly amazed at your ability to ignore the opportunities to keep your mouth shut.

(02-19-2022, 10:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 10:07 AM)mikesez Wrote: Good stuff. I hadn't heard of this guy before.

This post is so you. "As a True Republican I never heard of this incredibly well known commentator but I like him but what he says is bad because the other side is just as good as we are." Lol.

My parents are hardcore liberals.  My dad introduced me to Andy Rooney and my mom introduced me to Dave Barry.  PJ ORourke was never mentioned.  I'm... Sorry? I guess?

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 12:25 PM by mikesez. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-19-2022, 11:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 10:07 AM)mikesez Wrote: Good stuff. I hadn't heard of this guy before.

It's called satire, you dolt. I'm endlessly amazed at your ability to ignore the opportunities to keep your mouth shut.

Of course it's satire. It's meant to make you laugh, but you laugh because it's true. And focusing only on the negative truths is not healthy for society. Unfortunately, the positive truths are much harder to make into jokes. 
A diet of only satire feels good, but it's not healthy. This is kind of diet that most liberals have, listening to only satirists like John Stewart and Steven Colbert or John Oliver.
Limbaugh was heavy on satire too, but he was able to do many other forms of commentary.