Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Case For Evan Neal at 1

(02-28-2022, 06:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 12:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I did really like the AOL board.  We had a good group of users and had some classic debates.  There are some good people on here, but there are also some that seem to have trouble following a logical argument and others who seem to be more interested in attacking and insulting instead of discussing and debating.

Was OLM on the AOL board under a different name?  His messages have an uncanny resemblance to one of the users.

My memory of the AOL board was that defending TC in 1996 was often a very lonely job.  But I thought that somehow, if I didn't defend TC, the franchise would collapse and the world would end.  27 years later, I no longer have the energy or motivation to write those long posts I used to write.  Kudos to Bullseye and others like him who post some of the best analysis on the internet.

I also remember when AOL charged by the minute.  I was so addicted to those AOL boards that I was running up $200 monthly AOL charges.

I also remember that, those were the days NO?    Once, wife wouldn't talk to me for a whole day once over the AOL bill.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-24-2022, 10:09 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I think they take him.  Just gut feel.  I don't know if it's the right or wrong move.  I think the problem this year, there is no clear-cut #1.

Same. I believe the argument against him presently is:
 - Hutch/Thibs/[other name] are too good to pass up
 - franchise Robinson or give him a longer deal for similar expectation

The arguments for:
 - A little more than double the tag money to lock up a Robinson-ish player for four times as long.
 - Pederson has no loyalty/investment in Little or anyone else on the line.
 - unless Hutch/Thibs/other wow in workouts/film, it's basically picking positional value over any disparity in talent/potential.
 - which is harder to find, premium tackle or pass rushing OLB?

I don't know if he's the best option. When our roster is as limited as it is/has been, we need to infuse as much talent as we can everywhere. As long as he doesn't end up the next Tony Mandarich or Luke Joeckel, I think we'll be ok.

(02-26-2022, 02:20 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-26-2022, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So, Day 1= 1 round
Day 2 = 2 rounds
Day 3= 4 rounds.  Of course there will be more in those rounds lol

Yet all of the talk is that if we don't take OT at 1 then Trevor is going to be ruined when the stats show that you can get super bowl caliber OL all throughout the draft and through FA or a tradel. That's why I keep giving my outline to fix the OL without having to go overboard using the #1 pick on an OL.

Is that the talk, though?

More of what I've seen is that the top of the darft is basically a plateau. Analysts see more value in taking the tackle on a team that has already invested in their QB. I've not seen anyone portend disaster if we don't subscribe to positional need-based strategy.

Neal skipping the combine

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2022, 11:50 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-28-2022, 11:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Neal skipping the combine

He doesn't wanna get exposed. He's probably 370 lbs.

He's skipping workouts but will still go and interview.

Red flag

(02-28-2022, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
He's skipping workouts but will still go and interview.

As long as he does his pro day, it is all good.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-28-2022, 12:00 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: He's skipping workouts but will still go and interview.

Isn't the combine this week? If Neal were to workout then that may provide our FO and coaches some insight on how to proceed.  FA about to crank up so that insight could help determine if we tag Cam, offer him a deal or let him walk and sign another FA. Or even make Little the starting LT. Waiting for his workout till March 30 is problematic for me. I have been leaning Edge at #1 anyway and start Little at LT. I think he could very well be our answer there.

(02-28-2022, 12:25 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:00 PM)Dimson Wrote: As long as he does his pro day, it is all good.

Isn't the combine this week? If Neal were to workout then that may provide our FO and coaches some insight on how to proceed.  FA about to crank up so that insight could help determine if we tag Cam, offer him a deal or let him walk and sign another FA. Or even make Little the starting LT. Waiting for his workout till March 30 is problematic for me. I have been leaning Edge at #1 anyway and start Little at LT. I think he could very well be our answer there.

I think we should keep Little as our LT.  But that's just me.

(02-28-2022, 12:00 PM)Dimson Wrote: As long as he does his pro day, it is all good.

I think the vast majority of Jags fans are seeing it this way.

(02-28-2022, 12:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:25 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Isn't the combine this week? If Neal were to workout then that may provide our FO and coaches some insight on how to proceed.  FA about to crank up so that insight could help determine if we tag Cam, offer him a deal or let him walk and sign another FA. Or even make Little the starting LT. Waiting for his workout till March 30 is problematic for me. I have been leaning Edge at #1 anyway and start Little at LT. I think he could very well be our answer there.
I think the vast majority of Jags fans are seeing it this way.

If we can't trade out, this is the way to go, imo. At least not drafting Neal anyways. I would be fine with Ikem,I don't care what position he plays.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2022, 01:02 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hopefully, the Jags see this as well and pass on an OT with the first pick.

(02-28-2022, 12:41 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think the vast majority of Jags fans are seeing it this way.

If we can't trade out, this is the way to go, imo. At least not drafting Neal anyways. I would be fine with Ikem,I don't care what position he plays.

If we traded down a bit, Ikem is my #1 OG, but if he measures 6'4" or over, I'd definitely try him at OT. He needs to be 6'4" or better though, not even a hair under or he's an OG.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 02:56 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

Apparently CB Derek Stingley is not working out at the Combine either. Given his injury history at LSU and how many games he missed, you'd think he'd do everything in his power to improve his draft stock. He's getting some bad advise by sitting out. People already have concerns about him staying healthy. This isn't gonna help him. He may even fall to the #3 or #4 CB in this class unless he absolutely kills it on his Pro Day.

I also just read that he may not even be healthy enough to perform at his own Pro Day on April 6, after having surgery for a Lisfranc injury.

I don't like that look.

I was hoping to see Neal (and others) show up and make their case for elevating their stock.
This either indicates that he is not in game shape, doesn't have confidence that he will perform well, or is already certain of his darft status. If the DE do attend and do show out, he may have opted himself right out of the top pick.

More of the same, though. Why look forward to anything, right?

(02-28-2022, 12:00 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: He's skipping workouts but will still go and interview.

eh, home turf allows for some manipulation. Do they use their own scales? are they calibrated and providing reliable measurement? Is the track sloped to allow a faster time? Why are you uncomfortable doing the same drills in an unfamiliar territory?

Is he not working out at the combine because of an undisclosed injury, no matter how minor?

I'd like to see conferences set up pro day for all their member teams at a neutral site if that's the way a lot of the players are gonna go. The purpose of the combine was to centralize the drills so that teams could maximize their evaluations. Now, we have to send scouts to multiple locations to check out every prospect we haven't pre-dismissed, and may not have the full staff at any one facility if there is overlap or travel to incorporate into the process.

I guarantee my first interview question would be "Why did you opt out of workouts this week?"

(03-01-2022, 10:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:

eh, home turf allows for some manipulation. Do they use their own scales? are they calibrated and providing reliable measurement? Is the track sloped to allow a faster time? Why are you uncomfortable doing the same drills in an unfamiliar territory?

Is he not working out at the combine because of an undisclosed injury, no matter how minor?

I'd like to see conferences set up pro day for all their member teams at a neutral site if that's the way a lot of the players are gonna go. The purpose of the combine was to centralize the drills so that teams could maximize their evaluations. Now, we have to send scouts to multiple locations to check out every prospect we haven't pre-dismissed, and may not have the full staff at any one facility if there is overlap or travel to incorporate into the process.

I guarantee my first interview question would be "Why did you opt out of workouts this week?"

The scouts at the workout check all those things you mentioned.  They measure the length of the track, they check the scales, they're very wise to those tricks.  

So, in answer to the question, "Why did you opt out of workouts this week?" the answer would be, "My agent told me to.  I was following the advice of my agent."

(02-28-2022, 12:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:25 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: Isn't the combine this week? If Neal were to workout then that may provide our FO and coaches some insight on how to proceed.  FA about to crank up so that insight could help determine if we tag Cam, offer him a deal or let him walk and sign another FA. Or even make Little the starting LT. Waiting for his workout till March 30 is problematic for me. I have been leaning Edge at #1 anyway and start Little at LT. I think he could very well be our answer there.

Hopefully, the Jags see this as well and pass on an OT with the first pick.

(02-28-2022, 12:41 PM)Dimson Wrote: If we can't trade out, this is the way to go, imo. At least not drafting Neal anyways. I would be fine with Ikem,I don't care what position he plays.

If we traded down a bit, Ikem is my #1 OG, but if he measures 6'4" or over, I'd definitely try him at OT. He needs to be 6'4" or better though, not even a hair under or he's an OG.

I think we, plus a lot of others here, agree about Neal. Barring a trade down, we should take the Edge rusher. But later on in the draft, do you see a potential RT that we could get? Understood that we have many many needs but a young Rt or swing tackle would help. Obviously I mean someone better than Will Richardson of course.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 12:55 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-01-2022, 12:14 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 12:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hopefully, the Jags see this as well and pass on an OT with the first pick.

I think we, plus a lot of others here, agree about Neal. Barring a trade down, we should take the Edge rusher. But later on in the draft, do you see a potential RT that we could get? Understood that we have many many needs but a young Rt or swing tackle would help. Obviously I mean someone better than Will Richardson of course.

Absolutely. Cordell Volson of North Dakota State. He is an FCS First Team All-American. He is an excellent run blocker and in 623 snaps last season, he allowed 0 sacks or tackles for loss. NDSU led the FCS with 6.21 yards per rush and Volson was a huge part of that. I saw him in the FCS playoffs and again at the Shrine Bowl and he is the best pulling O-Linemen I've seen in years. He shows great footwork. He also has experience at both OT positions and both OG positions, but he has been the regular starter at RT for the past 2 seasons. I really, really like this kid and no one is talking about him. Other than Trevor Penning, he's the only OT I would trust in this draft.

Since we're not hiring an EVP and we all know how bad Baalke is at drafting, this is how I see our draft going.......

1. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
2. Drake Jackson, DE/OLB, USC
3. George Pickens, WR, Georgia
3. Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson
4. Thayer Munford, OG, Ohio State
5 Cade Otten, TE, Washington
6. Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
6. Kana'i Mauga, ILB, USC
6. Kolby Harvey-Peel, S, Oklahoma State
6. Tyreke Smith, DE/OLB, Ohio State
7. Jaquari Roberson, WR, Wake Forest
7. Dawson Deaton, C/OG, Texas Tech

I hate these picks. I think I just threw up in my mouth.