Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Letting Title 42 authority expire

At the start of the covid-19 pandemic, Trump invoked the president's authority under something called title 42 to close both the Canadian and Mexican borders. 
Both borders have slowly opened up over time, but Mexican border is not as open as it was before the pandemic started.
Because both Republicans and Democrats agree that the emergency is basically over, Biden does not have the authority to continue closing the Mexican border this way.
Which is too bad, because law and order on our side of the border is obviously much better than it was. 
And while the bleeding hearts still say there's a humanitarian crisis on the other side, they seem to agree that it's not any worse than it was before the pandemic.
Congress should be acting, to give Biden new authority to both slow down and regularize the flow of refugees.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think we need to think outside the box on this issue. I think we need immigration judges in Mexico.
I also think we need to drastically reduce temporary visas while increasing permanent visas. Temporary visas make sense for farm work. They never made sense for computer programming. If the work isn't seasonal, the workers shouldn't be seasonal either.
Someone with a permanent visa should be able to change jobs without risking their visa. They shouldn't be getting welfare, so let them figure out if it's time to go back to where they came from or not.
We obviously need more workers at this point.
Instead of tying visas to employment, we need to do like Germany and tie them to cities and states. The government should be working to make sure there aren't concentrations of immigrants, so they integrate better.

The president has unilateral authority for matters of national security. He chose not to finish the wall.

(04-02-2022, 05:35 PM)jj82284 Wrote: The president has unilateral authority for matters of national security.  He chose not to finish the wall.

Your first sentence is true.  If Mexico was threatening to roll tanks across the border, it would make sense to build obstacles to stop them.  Being that they aren't, and that there is no real emergency, Congress and the courts get a say.

No. There are emergency declarations that have been in place for 50 years. It's up to the president. This is a policy preference, plain and simple.

(04-02-2022, 06:30 PM)jj82284 Wrote: No.  There are emergency declarations that have been in place for 50 years.  It's up to the president.  This is a policy preference, plain and simple.

Emergency means many things depending on which statute is invoked. You don't just get all of the power by declaring one type of emergency. This isn't the Weimar Republic.

(04-02-2022, 06:07 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 05:35 PM)jj82284 Wrote: The president has unilateral authority for matters of national security.  He chose not to finish the wall.

Your first sentence is true.  If Mexico was threatening to roll tanks across the border, it would make sense to build obstacles to stop them.  Being that they aren't, and that there is no real emergency, Congress and the courts get a say.

Remind me again how many tanks were involved in the attacks of 9/11.  Mexico is not a threat, nor has it ever been one.  Terrorists don't use tanks, and with an open border, we have no way of knowing how many may have already entered the country.  That is a threat to national security, a threat that Biden and most of the Democrats have ignored, sacrificing our safety as they pander for votes.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-02-2022, 06:43 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 06:07 PM)mikesez Wrote: Your first sentence is true.  If Mexico was threatening to roll tanks across the border, it would make sense to build obstacles to stop them.  Being that they aren't, and that there is no real emergency, Congress and the courts get a say.

Remind me again how many tanks were involved in the attacks of 9/11.  Mexico is not a threat, nor has it ever been one.  Terrorists don't use tanks, and with an open border, we have no way of knowing how many may have already entered the country.  That is a threat to national security, a threat that Biden and most of the Democrats have ignored, sacrificing our safety as they pander for votes.

The border was never "open".  There are degrees of openness.  The 9-11 terrorists all had legit visas.  They came to the US by plane. These hypothetical new terrorists could sneak in from the Canadian border too, you know.
What are you trying to argue for?
That Biden should build a wall? Across which border?
Or are you arguing that he should use emergency powers to do something else at the border? What, and why?

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 07:13 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

How about we have laws that say “ you want to vacation” here’s what you do. You want to come in and work temporarily, “here’s what you do”. You want to move from there to here and be a citizen” here’s what you do. Or, We’re not letting in “So and so”  Or them and thems.  Whatever.  We make it way too damned complicated.  Keep it simple stupid.  But I don’t think this regime is wanting that.  Their doing their best to accomplish other results.  So…

Again, the determination of when an emergency ends is up to the executive branch. Title 42 isn't ending because of a court decreee or congressional resolution, it's ending because the administration wishes it to end. Just like Wall construction, just like keystone xl etc.

Further. In matters of immigration the president has delegated authority to do pretty much anything he wants to prevent entry from certain countries if he feels that it benefits our national security. So much do that it's deemed a political problem (up to the voters) and is beyond judicial review.

A President who maintains a health emergency past the time that the health emergency has ended is abusing his authority and antagonizing Congress.
If Congress wants the type of border restrictions we see today to continue indefinitely, they should pass a law saying so.
And the President can not do "whatever he wants" with regard to immigration. Trump had to try three times before he was able to create an executive order restricting immigration that the courts would actually uphold.

(04-03-2022, 09:20 AM)mikesez Wrote: A President who maintains a health emergency past the time that the health emergency has ended is abusing his authority and antagonizing Congress.
If Congress wants the type of border restrictions we see today to continue indefinitely, they should pass a law saying so.
And the President can not do "whatever he wants" with regard to immigration.  Trump had to try three times before he was able to create an executive order restricting immigration that the courts would actually uphold.

What were the "cough" objections raised by the court?